Avon Far Away

3.5

on 4/5/2015 3:46:00 PM

I repurchased this quite few times over the past 5 years. While wearing it, I recieved maybe 2 compliments. So last year, I went on a high end fragrance hunt. I thought perhaps I had bad taste in fragrance, as my Avon fragrances never got complimented.
Well lots of money later, I learned a few lessons. First many women do not compliment another women even if they like something she is wearing!
So needing to restock my fragrance supply, I considered returning yo Avon for daily wear. I teach and go through a bottle of fragrabce1.7 oz in about 2 months. I know the ladies here recognize how that can add up.
So having a couple of near empty bottles. I considered reordering Far away, to my nose now, it smells like a vanilla candle, and not a high end candle, more like just Walmart candle.
If you enjoy vanilla, which I love, there are better options. My teen daughter wears Taylor Swift Wonder Struck...that smells better to me.
Avon recommendations : Haiku and Rare Gold

on 1/30/2015 8:50:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I had this when it 1st came out...I loved how it smelled. The main notes I pick up is the sandalwood,musk,amber,faint vanilla & ylang-ylang. I know some people say they smell coconut but not me lol not even a hint of it!!

I liked it a lot and it had really good staying power but over time I got sick of it. I used it up and never repurchased it.

on 1/8/2015 8:48:00 PM

I have the roll on purse concentrate and the pulse point roll on that resembles lip balm. I do not have the edp spray. To my nose this reminds me of bounce sheets . It really smells like clean clothes. I am going to try the lotion and see if it has less of a bounce chemical smell.

on 12/18/2014 3:36:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

Mmmm smells great like more on the sophisticated side and very feminine as well

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I haven't been able to get this in a long time now, but if you can I would hoard it away for years to come! Scent is hard to describe but I always loved it. It had an almost 'spiritual' feel about it. It is not like you'd expect a regular typical perfume to smell. Would highly recommend. Avon is not typically something that I go out of my way for, but that scent... well worth it.

on 10/13/2014 9:00:00 PM

I smelled this on a friend of mine and asked her what perfume was she wearing, she showed me the bottle and it smells so good, she bought this fragrance from Avon Malaysia. I decided to purchase it (Avon UK) and was so excited when it came through the post. However I was disappointed with the smell as it's too powdery and gives me headache, at first I thought it was my body chemistry and decided to give the bottle to my friend since it smells great on her. When she sprayed on her wrist, the same thing happened. She can only conclude that the formulation has been changed (maybe?)

When she went back to visit her family in Malaysia, she got me this fragrance and to my surprise, it smells gorgeous and react very well with my body chemistry (yay!). It's a soft (but not too soft) feminine perfume.
She said that this is the 'original' smell of Far Away that she knew and love. Could it be that they didn't change the formula in Asia?
I will make sure that I'll ask my friend to get me a few bottles when she is in Malaysia.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Ethereal, mysterious, what I imagine the long ago Far Eastern World women must have worn as their perfume oils. Yes, the name fits this perfume. Seven hours ago I sprayed my wrist from two feet away gently and the scent of this oriental fragrance is still heavily with me.
I owned it years back and last summer acquired an older bottle. I've waited for a colder day of winter to wear it again. This is a glorious fragrance.
It's rich and thick in its entire run and certainly not for someone shy or one who likes a lighter, cleaner fragrance. Gardenia and coconut stand the strongest for me with sandalwood wrapped around these notes in a thick musky way. The musk that I inhale from Far away is not the musk that I get from perfumes I've been sampling lately. This musk is thick, almost syrupy, so embracing, that when coupled with the wood it could be stifling if over-sprayed. This is such an exotic smelling perfume that goes on and on and on. Spray a scarf or doily in your home and the scent will there for days.
Close your eyes and it evokes images of rawness, of sexual energy, of days in spring gardens bursting with fresh blooming flowers, of oiled wooden barrels with leather straps filled with intoxicating hot spices, even of antique liquor cabinets that house fine wines and assorted liquors and liqueurs. It takes you to many places.
It's a perfume that entices you to return to your wrist again and again to remind you of those images. It's really that wondrous in its composition.
If I wore it out, I'd spray it prudently, so as not to offend anyone. It's very strong and in today's fruity-gourmand times, Far Away may not be to everyone's liking. A delicate spritz from a few feet away or a walk-through spray is more than enough.
This is a picturesque perfume, one that will bring images to your mind when wearing it. That's when a perfume is worth it's weight. Housed in an opaque round bottle with an art deco fuschia and black round cap, cordoned with a black tassel, Far Away should be on anyone's sample list.
Top Notes: Karo Karounde, Ylang-Ylang, Orange, Coconut, Peach.
Middle Notes: Jasmine, Osmanthus, Rose, Violet, Gardenia, Freesia.
Base Notes: Vanilla, Sandalwood, Musk, Amber.

Hard for me to comment on the packaging quality as I got the purse size which was $2.50. But the price for the larger perfume seems reasonable. This isn't an awful or offensive fragrance, it's just not really me. It's too sweet for me, smells like baby powder with a lot of sweetness, but doesn't have that clean soapy smell I crave with powdery scents. Will not be buying a larger size of this one.

on 1/26/2013 4:10:00 PM

I tried this on, and the smell was quite strong. i did not think I would like this. But it dried down to a beautiful soapy floral! This is one of the most beautiful scents I have smelled in quite some time! Will purchase a full bottle of this soon!!!

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Neutral

Hair: Black, Curly, Fine

Really surprised by all of the comments of ppl hating the smell. I really like the sweetness of the scent. It smells pleasant to me and will not overpower your clothes. It won't stay on all day but it does linger a little and has a nice vanilla, warm sugar smell (if you like that ). Very affordable.

Popular Fragrances