October 21, 2014 | 1781 users online

Fragrances - Estee Lauder - White Linen

rated 3 of 5 on 10/3/2014 4:09:00 PM More reviews by littlesparrows

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

White Linen was my fragrance many years ago, in the late 1980's and I wore it for about 5 years. It had less aldehyde back then and maybe a bit more of the Bulgarian rose, a little more soft floral. I suppose I could have changed, but I do know that EL reformulated their fragrances as many perfume producers seem to have done. But as much as I have tried to go back to wearing White Linen over the last several years, it just is not the same. There is still the basic fresh,crisp, aldehydic burst, but then, nothing else special happens- no light floral, no soft dry down. Just kind of a sharpness and clean laundry feel. Which is not bad, it would be nice for just a casual summer day. I cannot see this a snuggle up fragrance, it does not evoke any real interest or intrigue, just a nice basic daytime scent that may really put off someone who did not like the sharpness of aldehydes. And then there is the unfortunate side effect of a headache which invariably comes along when I have worn any EL fragrance in the last several years.

I get a little nostalgic for it sometimes, and I do have a bottle (which cost $70, good thing I got the gift with purchase). I keep it around to take a small whiff once in a while, for old times sake. And each time do, I know it just won't work anymore. I think I'll have to keep it in the drawer, where it will stay with some old memories. I often associate fragrances with memories and people. This was the fragrance of my younger self, and there are some good times associated with it. And, if this still smelled as good as it did back then, still smelled as good on me as it used to, then I would wear it. But it just doesn't.

I now wear Boucheron for women, which I truly love, and I feel so comfortable and confident wearing it. It is a also a classic from the late eighties, but I never look at any fragrance as old or outdated. Fragrance is designed to make you feel good about yourself, so whether it be a classic from seventy years ago or the newest one on the market, you should always wear what makes you feel good about you. And keep the good memories, too...

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 9/16/2014 11:23:00 AM More reviews by spaflam

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Yick. Just does not work on me - smells very "old lady".

rated 5 of 5 on 6/30/2014 5:59:00 PM More reviews by shadedmaryy

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I just can't get over how amazing White Linen smells all day, no layering necessary. Its strong, high key, meaning its going to stand out when you wear this, its lovely but not subtle at all. It makes you feel very good to smell so good, which increases your self confidence.
This is a floral masterpiece, an absolute beauty.
Love this, its one of my all time favorites and I own a large bottle.
Smells clean, very pretty and exceptionally classy.

3 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/4/2014 4:23:00 PM More reviews by glossyxlipz

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Dry, Dark, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Black

It is a beautiful scent. When I smell it, I get transported back to my childhood sneaking into my mothers bedroom to play with her makeup and perfume on her vanity. Its such a warm, comforting smell. Like a grandmother wearing a warm cozy sweater we hugging you..

But alas, I am not meant to wear it. It doesn't go well with my chemistry/personality. I was told it makes me smell like old ladies and mothballs.

I thought about buying it just to sniff it when I am at home just for nostalgic purpose. I may, once a good GWP of a perfume comes out.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/3/2014 8:09:00 PM More reviews by DakotaDaisy

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

At initial burst, White Linen is sharp, loud, and overpowering. After a few hours, it quieted down to a soapy floral. White Linen might be something to wear to a business luncheon. I can see why some people enjoy this classic. However, it is not for me.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/5/2013 8:47:00 PM More reviews by kyl77

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I bought White Linen a part of a set of mini Estee Lauder fragrances. Given its name, I expected White Linen to be light and soapy, but it's actually a rather strong floral. Peronally, I find it to be a bit harsh. Although it's not a terrible perfume, I probably won't repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/9/2013 1:47:00 PM More reviews by sillage

My husband's all-time favorite perfume, White Linen has probably been the most worn fragrance of my lifetime. I've lost count of how many large bottles I've been through.

Beginning around 1981, I wore it throughout the 80's and 90's, and I still own it now -- I always will. I still wear it, especially with my husband, on our dinner dates and vacations.

White Linen is a clean fresh floral but so much more -- there's a mystique about it, I think. I find it alluring and magnetic.

Personal story: In the 80's I was once at a Christmas party with my husband (I was wearing Cinnabar) -- and I sniffed a fabulous perfume coming off a young 20-something slim pretty blonde girl who was sitting by herself.

Her perfume was a "drawing in" scent to the max -- it was mysterious, compelling, alluring, and had a pull like a strong magnet. Irresistible. I thought she was bound to attract men like flies, just so they could get better whiffs of that perfume! It was mysterious, hypnotic, & spellbinding to me.

I approached her and said, "I have to ask you -- what is that perfume you're wearing, it just smells so good!" -- to which she said "White Linen".

Huh? White Linen? That was my husband's fave on me, and I had already gone through at least 2 bottles and had another at home. Yet I didn't recognize it? I never thought of it as a wintery or Christmasy or particularly mysterious/hypnotic/spellbinding fragrance before, but on her, it reeeeeeally was! It made me appreciate it even more, getting that "outsider" perspective. Any time I catch a whiff of White Linen in public, it spins my head around -- it's arresting.

I've always had a big collection of perfume and have always rotated constantly. Once, one of my female coworkers stood behind me at work and told me that I smelled better than I had ever smelled. I was wearing White Linen.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/28/2013 11:51:00 AM More reviews by highrise

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Fair, Cool Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Revisiting White Linen 20+ years after I used to wear it, and it's somehow shot into my top 5, for all time. A beautiful floating bubble of aldehydes and pale greens, this scent grounds me and erases all the messy pencil strokes to reveal the tidy lines underneath.
It's modern (in the classic sense), and clean without being ascetic. I'll love it for the feeling it gives me - comfortable, capable, calm.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/10/2013 2:59:00 PM More reviews by ohwrite

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Lovely floral with a soapy quality, to me. IMO, one of the best iterations of "soapy/clean." Not boring, long-lasting, and does not take on any "dirty" quality. Within its kind, the best.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 12/7/2012 11:56:00 PM More reviews by annalisameyer

Does anybody think the current White Linen is TOTALLY DIFFERENT than how it used to be???? I have a friend who used it in the late 80's early 90's and I remember it VIVIDLY... but when I smell it in stores now, it's not the same. Am I alone in this opinion? Did they change the formula?

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No