December 20, 2014 | 1703 users online

Gels/Soaps - LUSH - Middle Earth Turns To Rock Soap

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/28/2013 2:19:00 AM More reviews by TeHNyboR

I got this online through Lush's retro section (now renamed Waylander Rhassoul) and I have mixed feelings about this product. The smell is interesting...not bad, not good, but interesting. Reminds me of earthiness and hamster cedar. It lathered well and washed well, but even though I dried the bar after every use, it melted into a gross gelatinous pudding-like blob and I had to toss it. And it melted WAY too fast. Won't be repurchasing

rated 1 of 5 on 2/11/2010 8:38:00 AM More reviews by sophie_au

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Holy skin-scouring, Batman, this stuff hurts!

After experiencing LUSH's awful "exfoliating" products like Sandstone, Middle Earth Turns to Rock, Porridge and Noriko, I'm convinced LUSH's R&D team must have skin of iron. How else could they bear to rub this "steel wool disguised as soap" where the sun don't shine?!

Middle Earth was so rough on my skin, I don't know if I can stand to use it more than once. The Rhassoul mud on the outside was so abrasive, I don't know if I can handle using the pumice in the centre, and the bloody thing didn't even exfoliate, it just roughed up my skin! This isn't soap, it's just mud, pumice and SLS with a pinch of binding ingredients. At least Sandstone had a pleasant, though mediocre soap as well as the sand. I never thought I would find a LUSH soap worse than Sandstone, but I did...

And why does LUSH insist on using so much sodium lauryl sulfate in their products when other companies have abandoned its use? Have they not yet realised SLS dries and irritates skin like nothing else? (Or is it because LUSH R&D has skin like old boots?)

I don't want to waste this, so I guess I'll try and use it up on my hands and feet only. I can see why this jumped-up scouring pad was discontinued. Would NOT repurchase, even if it was still around.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/6/2009 8:48:00 AM More reviews by ianastar

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

At first I didnt like this. But the earthy smell of it is quite nice when mixed with Blue Skies BBS. The work well together. The rhassoul mud was so small that it made for just the perfect type of exfoliant. Unfortanley fans of this did not speak out until it started to disappear. Intoxicating and magical....now known as Waylander Rhassoul....and only available in the UK.

I dont think this is available at all anymore now.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/17/2006 3:09:00 PM More reviews by analoggirly

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I LOVED this soap! I purchased it for my boyfreind, it has a very manly earthy smell, and it was a good way to get him to exfoliate ;) After he would use this he would smell so delicious I wouldn't be able to stop smelling him!

Unfortunetly, I don't see it in the catalogue any more, and I don't think he'd use it again because he didn't really like how it smelled.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/7/2006 3:24:00 PM More reviews by Silvertongue

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I wasn't in love with this soap, but I wanted to be. I find the scent very manly - sort of a clay/musk/fresh dirt smell. I didn't find it very moisturizing and the bar dissolved much too quickly and was very soft. However, it was like playing in the mud as a child, which was a little enjoyable. It was pretty exfoliating with sandy scrubby bits.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/8/2006 3:04:00 PM More reviews by seasaildu

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

There is a small group of people who love this musky, earthy, mud-brown, sexy, scrubby soap, and I am their queen. This is now being sold as Waylander Rhassoul or something like that, but the smell is basically the same. This exfoliates gently w/o drying, and leaves you smelling like an Earth Mother (in the good way) all day. I cannot stop smelling my forearms after I've used this. I only wish it didn't get used up so quickly, being as soft as it is. I usually don't like this kind of smell, being a grass and lilac kind of person, and I HATE patchouli, but this smell works for me, both on the bar and on my skin (where it the scent is even more complex). If my boyfriend was brave enough to steal this from me and use it, I'd have trouble keeping my hands off of him.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/19/2006 5:28:00 PM More reviews by sarahthing

My boyfriend uses this as a face soap, and loves the exfoliating bits of pumice...the SA looked rather scared when I mentioned that it was for a face but the b/f obviously has strong skin! The soap smells lovely, but that maybe in part to me associating it with his lovely clean face (Please don't throw up!). That said, if he used Rock Star or Coalface, I'd have serious problems with the smell!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/17/2006 3:45:00 PM More reviews by starladear

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Gorgeous, gorgeous stuff, and my husband hates this. Like the Blue Skies bubble bath (very similar or same scent), this is yes, very woody and patchouli, but outside of lush I don't normally love patchouli scented things. Lush makes it smell clean and fresh. Oh, and the scrubby bits of this soap (in the middle) are interesting and good for feet. THIS IS NOW CALLED WAYLANDER RHASSOUL.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/6/2005 2:46:00 PM More reviews by punkfiend

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Looks like crap, smells a bit dodgy but it makes my skin lovely and soft so ill forgive the pong :P

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/1/2005 3:04:00 PM More reviews by LaraConn

Fear not, MUAers, for those of you who love this soap and don't want to pay the horrid prices on eBay, you can still get this from the UK Lush site, but now it's called Waylander! :-) I first tried this wonderful soap just a couple weeks ago when I won a slice in an auction for Hurrican Katrina victims. I'm normally not a big patchouli fan, but this....the scent is just hard to describe. It's very earthy and warm, very spicy, and smells wonderful! The first time I used this I didn't even wear any cologne b/c the scent lingered so long and so strongly. It can also be a little masculine, but that's fine w/me!