April 16, 2014 | 2025 users online

image 0image 1image 2

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 on 3/19/2014 1:19:00 PM More reviews by emilylily

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

My favourite powder, lasts ages, sets every foundation I've tried and lasts all day. only downside is the bottle. I paid about 8 pound for it online for it in the UK and compared it to my usual powder which I pay more than double that price for for 0.75 oz and this is a 3oz. Best value powder out there with amazing results.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/5/2014 3:10:00 PM More reviews by brelig

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This powder is serious stuff and when it works, my face stays matte all day. That being said, I've had it look fantastic and I've had it cake up. I've had it look flawless and natural, and I've also managed to look like my face was made of powder particles. It's been rather hit or miss and I suspect it has a lot to do with product interaction, how much is applied, and how long I've waited for my foundation to really dry down before applying. Although it might sound strange, I've found that properly moisturizing my face prior to application helped a lot. When it works, it really works, but it's been such a struggle to get it to work that I usually opt for my more reliable option, the Catrice Prime and Fine mattifying loose powder. I also found this to be more successful for me in the summer than in the winter, because you know, this powder comes in a massive bottle, so I've tried it in all seasons, and I'll probably have enough to last me the rest of my life.

Despite sounding on the fence about it, if you really struggle with oil control, this is worth trying. It's not going to break the bank, and as us oily gals know, we'll try anything to tame our faces. It can work. It does work. It just takes some experimentation to get there.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/8/2014 2:47:00 AM More reviews by Mraku

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Sorry to be one of the only few nay-sayers to this wonderful product, but I've had FAR better results using the cheapest drugstore powder I could find, versus using this stuff to set my BB cream. No matter how I applied this powder (using blotting sheets before applying the powder, using a powder puff to apply the powder, using a powder brush to apply the powder, using a stippling brush to apply the powder, tapping off the excess, which I always do anyways, before applying, etc.), I absolutely could not stop this powder from caking HORRIBLY on me. I had to go and wash my face every time I set my make-up with this stuff because the caking was just THAT bad. Also, although I could blend out this powder onto my wrist and have it disappear completely, it very obviously lightened my BB cream by about a shade whenever I applied it onto my face (probably because I tried not to buff it too much into my face as not to displace my BB cream).

I'm so torn over this product; I've never seen a single review saying that this powder (or any other Ben Nye powder for that matter) was the least bit cakey, and I truly believe this because I've watched plenty of demos on YouTube where the people who applied this stuff had the most flawless finishes! I don't know why, but it just cakes so, so, so terribly on me. I got the Ben Nye neutral set powder from eBay from a reputable seller (spotlight_21), so I doubt authenticity is an issue here. Also, the oil control is no different from any other powder I've ever used; I still oiled up considerably by the two-hour mark. The packaging is also quite awful and messy... I really wish I hadn't spent $16 on the massive 8 oz. jar. :(

Despite how awful this stuff looks on me, I wouldn't exactly recommend NOT buying it... And I say this because I seem to be only one of an extreme minority who ends up with a really cakey finish every time I set my BB cream with this powder. For the other 99% of people who use this, this powder sets their make-up really beautifully and so, I can't exactly say not to get it... But I will recommend those who are still interested in this powder to first get a sample of this stuff that comes in a sifter jar. Not only do you have a mess-free way of testing out this powder via the sifter jar, but you also won't regret buying this stuff if you end up not liking this powder like I didn't.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 1/29/2014 5:03:00 PM More reviews by TiaR

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Uugh. I'm sorry, maybe I am just too spoiled after using Mac blot.. but this does not compare.

Talc is the main ingredient here, and kaolin is the main one in Mac blot. They're uncomparable, sorry.

This makes my foundation look awful (Colorstay) and I'm oily in two or three hours. D:
Very disappointed. Back to the expensive Mac! haha. Maybeline dream matte mousse is pretty good too.

EDIT: While this is cakey over foundation, this week I've been trying it alone over my moisturizer. It seems to work better this way, so it probably depends on which foundation you're using. HOWEVER...it cakes under my eyes still, so it's not that impressive.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/29/2013 8:15:00 AM More reviews by Emma13

This is a good powder. It performs as well as higher-end products, and for significantly less money! It's a bit hard to come by, unfortunately but theatrical products shops should stock it. I've used a number of expensive powders in the past, including Giorgio Armani (loved it, though it had a slightly shiny finish), Becca (very good, great shades), Dior (very good) and Chanel (did not like it as it darkened my makeup and was too peachy). This is just neutral and translucent - no colour, no coverage. I like having one powder that is simply sheer. Will update regarding how it performs (oil control etc.).

P.S. Some reviewers are concerned about parabens; actually, the Chanel powder also has these - I would guess all powders do, since they are very common preservatives. They are present in infinitesimally small amounts in skincare, and I seriously would not worry about them. Skincare and cosmetics do not absorb through your skin anyway. (According to Paula Begoun, "In-vivo testing demonstrated parabens [in skincare were] 10,000 times weaker than naturally occurring phytoestrogens, such as those found in the foods and medicines we consume every day.")

10 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/13/2013 6:11:00 PM More reviews by Domie1524

I love this product! Before purchasing this Ben Nye powder I used MAC translucent powder comparing the two products you get a lot more of the Ben Nye powder for less than half of what you would pay for the MAC powder. I paid about $8 for the 1.75g container and I have had this for over a month and am not even half way through it! Trust me when I say the smallest amount goes along way. The thing I love most about this product besides the price is that it doesn't leave you with a white cast on your face and you literally apply it once and you won't need to retouch your make up allday. Since Ben Nye is used for theatrical purposes when you sweat your make up won't smudge or go anywhere. I have purchased almost all of the Ben Nye powders and was impressed with everyone of them. Just give you an idea of how much product your getting for your money with the translucent powder the largest size they sell is an 8 oz. jar which retails for only $13 talk about a deal!

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/8/2013 6:59:00 AM More reviews by Saspants

I absolutely love this setting powder. It sets your make-up lightly without getting cakey or heavy. I have tried them all; Nars, MUFE, Tarte, etc. and this is so much cheaper and does a better job.

I found that Tarte and MUFE gave me a white cast no matter how little I used, so I would always have to go back and touch up my blush and bronzer because I looked washed out. That doesn't happen with Neutral Set. It gives my complexion a flawless finish (and trust me, it isn't!), my pores disappear and my make-up stays put.

A huge bottle of this is only $14 and lasts forever so that is less than half of what any of the higher end setting powders run and you get more than twice the amount of product. It is available on-line through numerous retailers but I live in the Houston area and am fortunate to have two theatrical costumers in the area and they always have this on-hand.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/18/2013 8:22:00 PM More reviews by ltnla

Thank you MUA!! NC 25/30 here. I was all set to splurge on Nars light reflecting powder, but decided to look here for a cheaper alternative (setting powders and mascara are two things that I don't like to spend much money on). I'm not saying that this is a dupe of Nars' (and this isn't a comparison review, but I honestly couldn't tell the difference between the two on my face, other than maybe, just maybe the Nars is a bit more brightening??). Anyhow, very impressed by this product. It does everything I want a setting powder to do, and a bit more. It's extremely finely milled, and can go up against any expensive face powder, is not cakey or powdery and looks like nothing on, except that my face looks more "finished" and my skin just a bit nicer. It may initially lighten my face by a tiny fraction, though all face powders seem to do that to me. I got the translucent one/which looks white but fear not, it really is translucent. I have slightly oily skin, and this lasts me at least 4-5 hours, though frankly looking a bit "dewy" by the end of the day doesn't bother me much (I just use blotting sheets if necessary). Not sure how this would work on very oily skin, but I think that if you have normal/dry or normal/oily skin, you'll be happy with this. I got this at a costume shop which has a smattering of stage makeup, though you can easily find it online. Still dirt cheap even including shipping cost (about $6-8 for 1.75 oz -- about 5 times the size of department store loose powders--usually about .33 oz or less). Everyone else has talked about the lousy packaging... I will just transfer it to one of my nice empty powder boxes. In short, highly recommended.

PS--a few people here mentioned that it has parabens...I haven't bothered to check but thought I should mention.

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/7/2013 8:21:00 PM More reviews by EmilyPierce

As a theatre kid, I swear by Ben Nye. I even use it as my everyday makeup, instead of just for when I'm on stage. That being said, this powder is a gift from The Lord himself, it's not to heavy, it mattes me out like nobodies business, and it pales down my foundation juuuuust the right amount so that it blends into my albino white girl skin. The packaging could use a bit of work, but all in all it's a staple in my kit at all times.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 4/21/2013 4:05:00 AM More reviews by addied

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Considering that I got this product with my school kit, I probably will buy it for the sake of clients but when it come to using this on my own face, I find it irritating.

I ended up switching over to 'Estee Lauder' - Lucidity Translucent Loose Powder because it's the only product that I haven't reacted to yet despite the price.

The packaging is good, just be cautious not to spill out too much and always brush your face with a large clean brush to get rid of excess powder.