April 21, 2014 | 954 users online

Cleansers - Dermalogica - Essential Cleansing Solution

rated 4 of 5 on 1/17/2014 9:29:00 AM More reviews by cubbiejules

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I always thought my skin was more oily/combo rather than dry, so I would always buy oil controling products along with combo skin products. Boy was I wrong! This winter my face did a drastic change, I became super dry and flaky, hardly ever oily. Now add on the harsh negative temps and my face was crying out for help! I had been using the normal/dry dermalogica kit from Ulta but I was still getting dry. So I decided to try the dry kit. This cleanser is absolutely amazing for girls with dry and even combo skin! I don't really know how to describe how it feels...baby soft, smooth, hydrated, not one bit oily. It's perfect! I use this along with the dermalogica

My reason for taking one lippy off is because I think this cleanser is terrible for gals who wear makeup every day. It doesn't foam up and I don't feel 100% clean after cleansing with this. So I think I'm going to grab the special cleansing gel and use that at night for my makeup along with a heavy moisturizer to get more dry relief. I use this cleaner with the multi-active toner, and intensive moisture balance and my face is left super hydrated but never oily! My makeup goes on smoother and I never have flakiness. I saw results with this in one use that's how fab it is! For all you dry/combo girls this is your HG if you want a little more moisture in your routine!

rated 4 of 5 on 6/6/2013 8:27:00 PM More reviews by SarahJaneD

If you skin is dehydrated/sensitive this is the cleanser for you! In the winter my skin becomes so dehydrated no matter how much water I drink the cold weather, central heating ect. dehydrates my skin. It feels tight and gives that cling film look to the skin. I started using essential cleansing solution last winter and noticed a huge improvement compared to previous winters. I could see a difference after about 1week. It gave my skin the moisture that it needed, my skin looked and felt healthy. In the summer I switch to dermalogica's special cleansing gel as the essential cleansing solution can be a bit rich for me. As I said if your dehydrated give this product a go. Dermalogica is pricey but you get what you pay for, the results are amazing & a little goes a long way.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/2/2012 9:46:00 PM More reviews by kyl77

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

This is a very gentle lotion style cleanser, which worked well on my sensitive skin. It has a nice texture and is a pleasure to use. However, I feel there are a lot of comparable products out there at more affordable prices. I would definately buy this again if it were on sale.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 3/17/2012 4:09:00 AM More reviews by franzvonstuck

Although my skin is a bitch when it comes to celansing, I always try to find something better than my HG Cetaphil. I was punished again for changing my cleanser or at least trying to.
My skin is basically combination, acne-prone, dehydrated and very sensitive. I purchased a travel size of 50 ml, because I always want to test with a sample or travel size frist before wasting money on a pricey product, which I cannot use on my face.
This cleanser stripped my skin and made it feel sore. My skin feels uncomfortable and tight. It also feels like my skin is on the edge of having a really bad allergical reaction.Iīve got an itching feeling from using this cleanser. Overall itīs way too harsh for me. This cleanser is recommended for dry skin, but it left my face with white, flaky patches, which usually happens, if Iīm using a drying cleanser.
So please, test it before you buy it.
I was intrigued, because some other reviewers described it as "like Cetaphil, but better". For me, it was only 10 times harsher and ruining my skin. Had to calm down my skin with Aveneīs Thermal water and Clean-AC cream.
Didnīt work on my skin.
Not recommending it for sensitive skin and I wonder how this could work on a dry skin with such a harsh drying effect? But I know, my skin is overly sensitive and dry and many products that work beautifully for other people just ruin my skin.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/2/2011 6:41:00 AM More reviews by Whend1212

I would highly recommend this product. It's my favorite cleanser and ever since I started using it, I rarely break out. I was having a lot of trouble with breakouts for a year, after moving to a very humid climate and was spending a lot of money on facials. Even the facials didn't do much to help the acne. Then i started using this cleanser and the breakouts almost all stopped. The bottle recommends cleansing twice but I just use it once, applied generously all over the face, and then rinse and that seems to work fine. But I don't used much make up so if you do, you may want to do the double wash. This doesn't take off eye make-up so an eye makeup remover is still needed. It's creamy and feels moisterizing too. I love the pump because it's hygenic.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/4/2011 1:36:00 PM More reviews by junkie_on_prowl

This was an ok product but I am not won over. Basically it is a very gentle and soft cleanser. If you use a full face of makeup it is probably better to double cleanse your face i.e. use a makeup remover prior to using this. This is probably better for the colder months of the year.

It didn't irrirate my dehydrated skin, but I don't feel absolutely clean either. When I use this cleanser I always use toner as well and always check my facial cotton for evidence of dirt!

It does come in a very large size though (500ml) but I would not repurchase. It is taking me a long time to finish this bottle...

rated 5 of 5 on 6/10/2011 2:35:00 PM More reviews by Mariaka

I'm in love with this cleanser. It is creamy and rich, not soapy and not lathering. It is occasionally refreshing to use a lathering cleanser, on especially hot and sweaty days, but generally--and I live in the South, on the third floor of an un-A/C'd apartment building--I love this product precisely because it is more like a mask than a soap. That might not make sense, but maybe I can explain.
I have problems with clogged pores: ethnically, my skin is better suited to cold northern latitudes, so the April through October onslaught of heat and humidity is not my thing. Being that I feel so put upon by the climate, I have recently begun to feel that the chemists' principle of "like dissolves like" (oil dissolves oil, oil-free dissolves oil-free, etc.) is a very helpful approach to skin care. I've been using this cleanser for over a month now, and not only are my clogged pores loosening up and dissolving--I help this along by going to the gym a couple of times per week, and after my workout I sit for about 20 minutes in the hot tub or the sauna, then I shower and wash my face--but also because this cleanser is COMPLETELY non-drying, I am able to skip daytime moisturizers. I know, I know that we're supposed to moisturize all of the time, like it's the most important thing we could do aside from a healthy diet and staying out of the sun. But with this cleanser, I feel like my skin finally has some respite from harsh anti-acne-style cleansers. I'm just being good to my face, using this Essential Cleansing Solution, and my face is reflecting the better treatment.
Having said all of that, I will admit two things: I use Dermalogica's Daily Microfoliant every day after cleansing, and I still keep two other cleansers (a clay anti-acne cleanser, and a lathery cleanser) around for use about once a week, just for that squeaky clean effect.

rated 2 of 5 on 4/14/2011 6:04:00 AM More reviews by Jessie_online

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I love Dermalogica but this was just not the product for me.

I feel a bit bad giving such a low score as it might just be it was all wrong for my skin type. I have normal/combo skin and this just felt like it was not removing any dirt or grime, after a few days use i experienced small spots forming under the skin. After switching to the special cleansing gel everything was back to normal.

It might work if you have very dry skin but i think you'd find yourself using another product to clean your face properly. If like me it breaks you out, i suggest the cleansing gel instead... now that i LOVE!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/12/2011 5:08:00 AM More reviews by purdonm

This is the best cleanser I have ever used. If you have normal to dry sensitive skin then this is for you. It has completely cleared up the dry irritated patches on my cheeks and chin area. It is also really good if you get the odd blemish as it seems to clear everything up.

rated 1 of 5 on 11/7/2010 5:26:00 AM More reviews by drok

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

It doesn't clean at all and irritates the skin.