November 20, 2014 | 2018 users online

Cleansers - Dermalogica - Essential Cleansing Solution

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 11/17/2014 4:57:00 PM More reviews by Bellona

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Quite possibly THE WORST CLEANSER I've ever used in my life. Seriously if I could give this no lippies I would. I'm beginning to hate Dermalogica and think their whole philosophy on skin care is a total sham. I was sceptical from the start, after using Ultra Calming cleanser and hating it.
The texture of this cleanser is nice, a rich non-foaming cream. It takes of my minimal makeup, although I'm not sure how it would perform for those that wear foundation etc. That's where the goodness stops.
At first I thought this cleanser was making me breakout...it started with little red bumps along my jawline, where I typically would get acne. But then after a couple of days of using this I had a full blown itchy, red, bumpy rash ALL OVER MY FACE! It was particularly bad along the perimeter, scalp and jawline. Now, I'm left with irritated itchy skin that looks terrible :( I'm so pissed off, and thoroughly unimpressed.
I note other reviewers have said this broke them out. I'm not surprised, this just seems to sit on the skin and not rinse clear off...thus resulting in acne or as I experienced, a rash. I must be allergic to something in the ingredients? But overall, this is horrible and I'm crossing my fingers that after paying almost $50 for the 500ml bottle I can return this crap.

rated 1 of 5 on 9/4/2014 3:04:00 PM More reviews by BeautyAddict62

I am a fan of Dermalogica products so I decided to purchase a travel size (30ml) bottle of Essential Cleansing solution. My skin is dry/combination, I tend to get breakouts on my chin & have very dry cheeks, forehead & nose.

I used this once a couple of months ago and my skin has still not recovered from it :( It left my chin & cheeks with horrible breakouts. I cannot get rid of them. I do not have sensitive skin so I rarely have a reaction like this to a product.

Please be aware that this product could end up giving you worse skin than what you started off with. I am still on the hunt for my HG cleanser needless to say!

rated 4 of 5 on 8/16/2014 11:58:00 AM More reviews by sonianala

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

It's a simple cleanser. It leaves your face feeling clean, bright and hydrated. A notch up from dermatologist approved wash products. I use this daily when washing my face. Has no smell and feels good on my face. Sometimes when I press my fingers into my skin with this product I can subsequently "dig" out pimples with my fingernails. So I recommend using this product after steaming your face as well.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/14/2014 8:39:00 AM More reviews by yoyo1

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

This no form cleanser is my first cleanser to try it was very good clean up my skin and doesn't dry up my skin.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/17/2014 9:29:00 AM More reviews by cubbiejules

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I always thought my skin was more oily/combo rather than dry, so I would always buy oil controling products along with combo skin products. Boy was I wrong! This winter my face did a drastic change, I became super dry and flaky, hardly ever oily. Now add on the harsh negative temps and my face was crying out for help! I had been using the normal/dry dermalogica kit from Ulta but I was still getting dry. So I decided to try the dry kit. This cleanser is absolutely amazing for girls with dry and even combo skin! I don't really know how to describe how it feels...baby soft, smooth, hydrated, not one bit oily. It's perfect! I use this along with the dermalogica

My reason for taking one lippy off is because I think this cleanser is terrible for gals who wear makeup every day. It doesn't foam up and I don't feel 100% clean after cleansing with this. So I think I'm going to grab the special cleansing gel and use that at night for my makeup along with a heavy moisturizer to get more dry relief. I use this cleaner with the multi-active toner, and intensive moisture balance and my face is left super hydrated but never oily! My makeup goes on smoother and I never have flakiness. I saw results with this in one use that's how fab it is! For all you dry/combo girls this is your HG if you want a little more moisture in your routine!

rated 4 of 5 on 6/6/2013 8:27:00 PM More reviews by SarahJaneD

If you skin is dehydrated/sensitive this is the cleanser for you! In the winter my skin becomes so dehydrated no matter how much water I drink the cold weather, central heating ect. dehydrates my skin. It feels tight and gives that cling film look to the skin. I started using essential cleansing solution last winter and noticed a huge improvement compared to previous winters. I could see a difference after about 1week. It gave my skin the moisture that it needed, my skin looked and felt healthy. In the summer I switch to dermalogica's special cleansing gel as the essential cleansing solution can be a bit rich for me. As I said if your dehydrated give this product a go. Dermalogica is pricey but you get what you pay for, the results are amazing & a little goes a long way.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/2/2012 9:46:00 PM More reviews by kyl77

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

This is a very gentle lotion style cleanser, which worked well on my sensitive skin. It has a nice texture and is a pleasure to use. However, I feel there are a lot of comparable products out there at more affordable prices. I would definately buy this again if it were on sale.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 3/17/2012 4:09:00 AM More reviews by franzvonstuck

Although my skin is a bitch when it comes to celansing, I always try to find something better than my HG Cetaphil. I was punished again for changing my cleanser or at least trying to.
My skin is basically combination, acne-prone, dehydrated and very sensitive. I purchased a travel size of 50 ml, because I always want to test with a sample or travel size frist before wasting money on a pricey product, which I cannot use on my face.
This cleanser stripped my skin and made it feel sore. My skin feels uncomfortable and tight. It also feels like my skin is on the edge of having a really bad allergical reaction.Iīve got an itching feeling from using this cleanser. Overall itīs way too harsh for me. This cleanser is recommended for dry skin, but it left my face with white, flaky patches, which usually happens, if Iīm using a drying cleanser.
So please, test it before you buy it.
I was intrigued, because some other reviewers described it as "like Cetaphil, but better". For me, it was only 10 times harsher and ruining my skin. Had to calm down my skin with Aveneīs Thermal water and Clean-AC cream.
Didnīt work on my skin.
Not recommending it for sensitive skin and I wonder how this could work on a dry skin with such a harsh drying effect? But I know, my skin is overly sensitive and dry and many products that work beautifully for other people just ruin my skin.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/2/2011 6:41:00 AM More reviews by Whend1212

I would highly recommend this product. It's my favorite cleanser and ever since I started using it, I rarely break out. I was having a lot of trouble with breakouts for a year, after moving to a very humid climate and was spending a lot of money on facials. Even the facials didn't do much to help the acne. Then i started using this cleanser and the breakouts almost all stopped. The bottle recommends cleansing twice but I just use it once, applied generously all over the face, and then rinse and that seems to work fine. But I don't used much make up so if you do, you may want to do the double wash. This doesn't take off eye make-up so an eye makeup remover is still needed. It's creamy and feels moisterizing too. I love the pump because it's hygenic.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/4/2011 1:36:00 PM More reviews by junkie_on_prowl

This was an ok product but I am not won over. Basically it is a very gentle and soft cleanser. If you use a full face of makeup it is probably better to double cleanse your face i.e. use a makeup remover prior to using this. This is probably better for the colder months of the year.

It didn't irrirate my dehydrated skin, but I don't feel absolutely clean either. When I use this cleanser I always use toner as well and always check my facial cotton for evidence of dirt!

It does come in a very large size though (500ml) but I would not repurchase. It is taking me a long time to finish this bottle...