April 18, 2014 | 1758 users online

Powder - Urban Decay - Surreal Skin Foundation

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/15/2012 11:40:00 PM More reviews by earthymoon

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I like the buffer applicator. I don't understand the big stink about it. I keep this in my car or purse for when I need something quick. This is the only travel friendly MMU out there.
For those having issues with the applicator, turn the middle ring in the open direction until you feel a click, turn the container upside down and pat against the back of your hand until the product comes out, pat and then buff product on face, viola! Once you have enough product in the puff, you can click it off to save product and prevent the puff from caking.
If you twist towards open after the click, the cap eventually screws off. I do this occasionally when I want to apply with a concealer brush for healing pimple spots.
The puff is made of antimicrobial materials. If you apply to a clean face, don't share the product and keep it dry; contamination isn't an issue. I wash the puff with a MU remover cloth, remove excess moisture with a towel and then let it air dry without the cap overnight.
The coverage is comparable to BE. It's a decent medium coverage but you may want to use concealer for really pigmented blemishes.
The shades run yellow. I wear illusion which is the fairest shade. If I wasn't living in South Florida with a mild tan year round, none of the shades would work for me.
The finish is just between satin and matte. The more product you use, the more likely you'll get the sheen that MMU is notorious for. However this product is not as bad as BE's shine factor.
Really great product overall. It's a bit of a holy grail for me. I use this for work mostly. I'm a floor nurse who runs around for 8 to 16 hours. I want to look slightly made up but can't afford the melting factor of liquid, the uber shine of BE MMU or the crappy coverage of the "sensitive skin" MMU.
Give it a try. Buy it somewhere that has a good return policy. It's worth a try.
UPDATE: Still using this powder but more often then I use to. I use this as a setting powder over liquid foundation when I want to look more made up. It has a beautiful finish that's satin and doesn't cake like most other powders. I still love the puff. I've been using it for 6 months. It hasn't caused any breakouts. The puff is still in good shape. I use this product at least 4 to 5 times a week.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/2/2011 10:35:00 PM More reviews by adiorablex

I love the product but the container always breaks in half before im halfway done using it. the foundation itself is very smooth yet covers and gives a very clean finish, just give it to me in new packaging please!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/16/2011 1:22:00 PM More reviews by Kikilynn09

I can't believe its taken me so long to write a review on this product! I've literally have been using Surreal Skin Foundation for years. I have gone through at least six of them. At least. I got this after eventually being disappointed in Bare Minerals and the fact that they couldn't cover up my blemishes and after a few hours I looked extremely greasy. So, I got this and I have to say I've loved it from day one until now. Surreal Skin has been with me through my worst skin years and my best. It covers nicely and is build-able, but never looks cakey. I do agree that the sponge applicator is pretty useless. I usually use my powder brush, but front time to time I have unscrewed the top and dunked my sponge in there, but I really don't do that anymore. It is a little bit of a pain, but for results like these definitely worth it. And $30 is a little steep for a foundation, but I go through on every six months. I just bought a new one the other day and before that I bought a new one in the beginning of October. So, its definitely worth the money I spend. I love, love, love this stuff and I will keep repurchasing. :)

rated 1 of 5 on 4/16/2011 12:29:00 PM More reviews by COCO792

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I wasted my money on the liquid foundation from UD before they dicsontinued it and brought out this. so why I bought this aswell I don't know.

I have pale skin with pink undertones. all of UD's foundation shades are yellow based, so DO NOT buy UD foundations if you are pink based, they will make you orange.

the lightest shade illusion, is too way dark for me there is no way I can wear this it's just so dark. for a powder though it's actually quite thick, I had razor sharp finishing powder long before this and that's really light so I was suprised how thick this was compared to that.

the puff application is pointless, because if you liked this foundation and used it everyday it would soon run out and you'd waste more product in the puff mechanism than you would actually use. I used UD powder brush, it distributes evenly on the face but has sparkles in it and it goes everywhere, don't even breathe near the pot if it's open because it will make a cloud of powder.

I ended up giving this away because I couldn't cope with it any more.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/12/2011 11:29:00 PM More reviews by vintagepeople

I actually really like the idea of the puff and got it to work for me (I did try a brush too!). The thing is, I'm in between two shades and the slight shininess of this just looks terrible on me. I tried Trance and it didn't show up on my face at all, and Hallucination shows up dark immediately, despite what the salesgirl said lol. It does look nice right when I apply it and it works out pretty well on top of a lighter tinted moisturizer, but I was hoping to use it by itself so I probably won't be purchasing it on my own.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/10/2011 6:27:00 PM More reviews by cassigail

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I love this foundation. I prefer UD's Cream to Powder Foundation, but this stuff is a close second. It gives a very natural look, which I like. I wish it came with a brush to use to apply it with; I think I'd have more luck that way. Still, it is a great foundation and I do recommend it. It lasts forever, too, so I don't mind forking up $30.00 for it.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/8/2011 8:02:00 AM More reviews by Giuliocci

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Blue

This has been one of the best powder foundations I have ever tried. I use it in the color Illusion, which is the fairest, and apply it using a kabuki brush, since the sponge it comes with is pretty useless. The color match is quite perfect for me (MAC NC 20-25 for reference) and the staying power is amazing: I used it when I had to work all night long at the hospital, applied at 6 p.m. and at 8 a.m. a lady told me "What a gorgeous skin you have!" - and for sure I don't have good skin at all without makeup! So when I looked in the mirror, the foundation was still there, and looked really good. Anyway I suppose that it might be also due to the base I put before (from UD also).
The packaging is not one of the best, since I don't understand the role of that sponge... I tried to apply the foundation by patting the sponge over my face, but it really didn't work. Could look powdery if overapplied (believe me, use a light hand and the result will be much better); could feel unconfortable on a dry skin-type.
Overall, I think that Surreal Skin is really an amazing product! So go on and try it, if you are willing to :)

rated 3 of 5 on 1/2/2011 6:40:00 PM More reviews by traciw24

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I liked this product at first glance. It is similar to BE...it has medium coverage...for me I like to have easier application w/out getting all over so that's partially the reason I gave it lower reviews. The puff does not put out enough product to give even the most minimal coverage. I have to unscrew and use a kabuki brush directly...My skin can sometimes have a dryer apprearance so I think that's why this may not work for me. Also the color I was matched too is a bit dark for my winter skin...once I get a little more color I will try again, but for now it will sit in the drawer.

rated 2 of 5 on 12/12/2010 11:48:00 AM More reviews by twistupgal

Initially I kind of liked this product. It does feel nice on the skin. However, I looked in the mirror a couple hour later and I was ORANGE. I'm very fair, but I bought the lightest shade which didn't look orange at all when I swatched it. So, maybe oxidizing? Also, the puff thing on top strikes me as really unsanitary, but then, you don't HAVE to use it. Also, a lot of the makeup gets trapped within the puff. The price really isn't bad for the amount you get and how long it would last. I just can't be walking around all orange :(

rated 4 of 5 on 10/16/2010 10:49:00 AM More reviews by uberboi1989

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have this product in Trance, after taking a few tries to match my skin tone. I was weary before I bought it, since test patches had a slightly washed out look, but I found when I use this as a setting power it looks really professional, and on days when I don't want to put too much product on my face, I like to just grab my concealer tube and then lightly dust some Trance over my skin- it makes for a very natural look.