Phisohex Antibacterial Skin Wash

4.3

on 8/5/2015 8:24:00 PM

TL;DR: Good anti-bacterial cleanser; this stuff is truly worth giving a shot. For those with dry skins, make sure to pair this with a heavier moisturiser as it can be drying. If you have sensitive skin, please PATCH TEST FIRST.

Pros:

- The anti-bacterial formula (also a con; see below). In a nutshell, this product contains triclosan, an anti-bacterial agent found in lots of other consumer products (soaps, detergent, toothpaste etc.). What sets Phisohex apart is that the formula has a higher concentration of triclosan in it: 1% (yes, a small percent, but that's as much as you can safely put into a consumer product). Triclosan inhibits fatty acid synthesis, inhibiting growth of bacteria on the skin.

While this product is not a skin panacea and will not work for everyone, this has been the only cleanser that I've witnessed having any positive effect on my hormonal cystic acne. Other cleansers that I've tried cleansed my skin quite well but have either done nothing to reduce acne, or have actually made my acne worse. Phisohex has been the only cleanser where I've actually noticed that my acne has reduced; it is no where near as severe as it was when I was still using my other gentle cleanser (Neutrogena Extra Gentle Cleanser). That alone has convinced me to repurchase.

- The price point. Out of most other skin cleansers on the market (i.e. Benzac, Cetaphil, Neutrogena, Simple) this is one of the cheapest, especially when it comes to Australian prices. You don't need any prescription, nor do you need to get it over the counter from a pharmacist. It's on the shelf, and you can grab and buy it like any other regular skincare product. Useful for those who hate relying on scripts and doctor visits to get much needed products. You can grab a 200 mL bottle for $8-$9 or a 500 mL bottle for $17-$18 (the 500 mL bottle is BIG).

(Note: I've heard that this is different in North America (U.S.A. in particular); you MAY need a prescription to use Phisohex in the States. I'm not sure about Canada or Mexico).

- Scent and texture. Has a very mild medicinal scent, and has a creamy consistency. This is a low foaming cleanser which may be beneficial for those that are sensitive to foaming agents.

- Packaging. Comes in a convenient squeeze bottle that can purchased in a small or large size (200 mL or 500 mL).

Cons:

- The formula. Triclosan is an effective anti-bacterial, but it can also cause contact dermatitis for people with sensitive skin or with prolonged exposure. It also contains a moderate amount of Benzyl Alcohol. This can be very irritating for those with sensitive skin and/or dry skin. I personally have dry skin and this hasn't affected me, but I do pair this with a heavier moisturiser to offset the dryness caused by the product. If you have sensitive skin, PLEASE PATCH TEST THIS PRODUCT FIRST (also advised by the company on the bottle).

- Dubious product instructions. On the back of the bottle, the company advises washing your hands with the product (which is wise; get rid of the bacteria on your hands before touching your face) and then washing and rinsing your face twice. This is to be done three...THREE times a day. Considering the heavy duty nature of the product, that is way too damn much even for people with the oiliest skins. Follow your own common sense and wash your face with this as much as you feel is needed. I wash mine once in the morning and once at night.

Overall, an extremely effective (for ME, personally) but otherwise heavy duty cleanser. I'd actually recommend trying some other cleansers before moving onto this one. Other than that, this is now my HG facial cleanser.

on 5/13/2015 11:06:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm

heard great reviews however this cleanser does not work for me sadly. it is very gentle and a nice basic cleaner for those with nice skin already! i have some bumps and spots and this does not seem to do much in that aspect. i used with my clarisonic but nothing changed much with skin. it is very affordable and gentle though

on 5/3/2015 12:57:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Medium

Personally my skin does not have acne, sure I get a few spots here and there, but nothing as bad as some get it. Still though I like to give my skin a thorough cleansing at the end of every day to keep those spots from going out of control. That is why when I stumbled upon PHisophex I decided to give it a try, and have been pleasantly surprised at how clear my skin looks and feels. True the formula is a little harsher than I am usually comfortable with and it does dry out my skin, but I can overlook all this for the obvious benefits. All I need to do is ensure I use a nice and thick moisturiser after my shower at night. I only use it once a day because that is all I need and unlike some of the other reviews I don't think that it hurts to use. Overall I will probably buy it again and think the results are well worth the price!

on 3/29/2015 6:35:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

I never leave reviews. For the past 2 months I've had a chin covered in acne. Cystic big white heads. I have NEVER had more than 1 pimple at a time my entire life so this has been traumatizing. Im 22 So put it down to hormones.
I stopped using my aesop cleanser and used ego QV cleanser which I've always gone back to.
I read sososo many reviews before I buy anything but one day I spotted this in the chemist and grabbed it because it was so cheap.
Its been 1 week and I have been using this twice a day. I didn't think anything would work.. its finally started to clear away the grossness.

All I have to say is try it! Use it for 2 weeks twice a day and then just on the breakout once a day with your other cleanser. Your skin will thank you.

on 8/29/2014 10:58:00 PM

Iv only just starting using this a few days ago so i have no idea if its suppose help straight away or not? i have mild acne and i dont know the reason for it but so far using this product it has helped my skin but not a huge amount. Its only been 2 days but i did get another few pimples this morning which is devastating and i just hope this product starts working. ill come back after a week to write another review :)

on 10/30/2013 8:01:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

I have used cetaphil and almost everything else - I found that It wasn't helping with break outs or anything, it was for people who already had nice skin.
I break out in pimples when I have or i'm getting my periods and I feel like phisohex is the only product that I feel like reduces my pimples. Yes I do still get pimples (if you get them, you get them, can't do much about it) but I definitely seen a difference in the size of the pimples. Your skin feels a little dry afterwards but nothing a moisturiser can't fix .. I have oily and sensitive skin (very sensitive) and this product doesn't effect anything.
If you have pimples do try this product

on 7/31/2013 2:24:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

I sincerely hope that this product will be my last facial washh, bcause I've many experience withh facial foam and so on,
What I love from phisohex is: no fragrance, no foam, and its written as a facial wash that save for a sensitive skin,
Its not totally wrong, but I've a hyper sensitive skin were my doctor ever skin-tested me for 4 times and yet still doesn't find what's wrong with his cream ingredients.
That's why I'm so interested with the ads,,
1-5 days using phisohex there's no problem with my face, then after 3 weeks my face start to be reddish and burning outt..
But its really effective to decrease my pimples,just maybe its too harsh for my very irritated skin..

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure

I am in LOVE with this face wash! At first I was very wary of using the product as I do have sensitive skin & for good reason, phisohex does burn my face but after a while its not so bad and the effects are astounding for me personally! Once or twice a week i switch it out for my other face wash for a break on my facial features! If I feel a blemish coming on I go ahead and use the product working it in heavily to the effected area and normal for the rest of my face. The next day that little devil is gone haha I'm in love. I do find I had to fiddle with my toner after as some seemed to react when I used my phisohex, but I have it sussed now and use an intense face cream at night to re hydrate my face as it can become dry! I would recommend this for people to try for sure. I have such tricky skin and I'm super happy!!!

on 7/26/2013 9:56:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm

I am happy to report that phisohex saved my face.
I changed my skin care routine from cetaphil oily skin cleanser, neautrogena moist mixed with jojoba to:
Washing my hands before cleansing
Phisohex left on for 30 secs
Lush ocean salt gently scrubbed in for 30 secs
Patting dry
Clearasil daily clearing spot treatment (salicylate acid treatment)
Clinique clearing moist mixed with jojoba
And oh Lordy my face hasn't looked this good in years!
I think the cleanser and the clearasil treatment made the biggest differences and I stuck to this routine for 3 weeks before I saw any changes.
The phisohex is non drying on me, no scent, quite a watery consistency and is 1% triclosan. The highest triclosan cleanser you can buy I think.
I love this stuff, $9 for the 250ml and there's a bigger bottle available which ill get next time as its better value.
Nothing has worked as well as this product

on 6/5/2013 5:41:00 AM

hi,
So i do have acne, but not as bad acne but i still get embarrassed from it I break out near my nose and on my t-zone area. My Pimples are not big just small lumps with red area just in a certain area, its like i'm growing a mini city on my face, i don't even know what my pimples are called (if you know what they're called from the description above please let me know). Using Phisophex for more than 2 week nows and i don't really see a different i just like it because theres not scent to it.

Thanks.