September 17, 2014 | 1883 users online

Lipstick - NARS - Shanghai Express

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 on 8/30/2014 12:44:00 PM More reviews by Strawberryyy

Need a brick red? You got it with Shanghai Express from NARS.

I've always had difficulty finding the perfect brick red color. As a latina, I grew up with Selena as a role model. Her black eyeliner, long locks of black/brown hair, and those brick red lips.

As many Selena fans know, Brick by Chanel is discontinued. But this color I believe brings it justice, but I can rave about two other lipsticks that can bring her color justice but I find that Shanghai Express does the job.

It can go with almost any skin tone! My dear friend is quite pale, she's Polish, and when I placed this color on her lips, her skin was well complimented with this. I also decided to try this on my sister in law, who is very dark/tan. It made her skin glow and it brought a plumping factor to her lips. I found this lip color very impressive but at the same time, application is important for too much of this color can make you appear clown-ish. Less is more applies in this case but if the necessity for boldness is needed, two or three coats with the use of lipliner and a lip brush will do well.

Over all, very beautiful and NARS has outdone themselves once again. I've always adored NARS and their products like their blushes, lipsticks and glosses. I plan to purchase "And when God Created Woman" eyeshadow kit, I shall see the hype on their shadows.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 8/26/2013 11:21:00 AM More reviews by LovelyThistle

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium Eyes: Green

I really wanted to love this soft neutral red. In the store the color looked intense but lovely, not too dark. But...

It turned a bright garish hot pink after wearing it for 2 hours. I have no idea what caused this. I have used NARS lipsticks before and never had the color turn like this. I tried it with lip primer and lip liner as well as on bare lips...same results.

Either it is just a reaction to my body chemistry or this lipstick shade as some pigment that pulls bright pink rather than red after the initial color wears down.

So sad, I really did love this shade.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/3/2013 6:52:00 AM More reviews by Ashlyn13

This undoubtedly is the perfect red for me!(nc30) it's a very sexy brick red. Unfortunately, Shanghai Express is VERY drying on the lips. So I took a couple of lipsticks off. I guess nothing is perfect. Exfoliate and moisturize your lips before putting this on.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/21/2013 10:43:00 AM More reviews by demigod

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

love love love this color! Though not that long lasting on my lips...
Quite expensive as it is 1,000 Philippine Peso..

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/16/2012 11:24:00 AM More reviews by aprilpinkbeauty

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I've been on the look out for a high quality vampy red lipstick for months! I bought a few and they were close but not what I was looking for. I stumbled across this and instantly fell in love! Its PERFECT! Its a deep blue red that looks amazing with my skintone. The matte finish doesn't dry out my lips like most matte lipsticks do and it applies very nicely from the tube or with a lip brush. This lipstick lasts for so long...I wore it for hours - ate, drank and it barely budged. I just touched up to deepen up the colour again. Its a little pricey at $25 but the great quality and the perfect colour makes it totally worth the money. Love NARS packaging - so sleek and simple. I will definitely repurchase!

rated 4 of 5 on 5/20/2012 4:33:00 AM More reviews by tearupyourphotos

This is a brick red that works wonderfully with my skin tone (NC 25-30 with strong yellow undertones). It is my second favorite red lipstick (after Jungle Red); it is a redder version of Viridiana, which is a dusty rose on me. Like other NARS semi-matte lipsticks, it is scented, rather drying (nothing chapstick and lip liner can't fix!), and lasts a long time but will transfer. I may have to buy this sooner than I thought since my practically new tube is currently MIA...

rated 4 of 5 on 12/31/2011 3:28:00 AM More reviews by chabbycheeks

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Tan, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

I loved this red until I realized I look better in bright reds. This one is a deep red that's very vamp-ish. It kinda looks like brick red but much brighter. It looks good,don't get me wrong. It's probably a neutral red that looks good on everyone.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/24/2011 4:54:00 PM More reviews by SirenRose

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have to hand it to Mr. Nars -- he really knows how to make red lipstick. I am very much in love with Fire Down Below... but Shanghai Express is a close second. Shanghai Express doesn't have as much darkness or brown undertones as Fire Down Below -- it's a little lighter and brighter -- but for me, it is just as bloody and flushed and bitten. The website calls it a "warmed brick red" and I can see that, but there is no orange, just hinted tones of brown and blue and pink. It is certainly a noticeable red, but not a screaming red. It's just so... beautiful. A soft, deep, full red. It joins my collection of favorite reds alongside NARS Fire Down Below, BareMinerals Red Zin, Bite Beauty Tanin, Honeybee Gardens Desire, Aveda Maracuja, and Aveda Cherrybud. I am absolutely willing to pay the $24 plus tax. Especially because NARS lipsticks contain acai berry oil, hyaluronic acid, and various fruit and spice extracts. For the price, it should be that awesome!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/11/2010 6:52:00 PM More reviews by BrownSkinnedDoll

I....Love...This...Lipstick!! As a woman of color, I usually try to stay with blue-based reds like Ruby Woo (which I love, by the way), but this is actually a non blue-based that looks absolutely amazing on me. It's certainly red, but it has more of a deep tone to it. Very sexy. Even with the high price point, I'd definitely repurchase a tube of this when I run out.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/3/2010 8:51:00 AM More reviews by ikbk

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is one of the only reds that I've ever encountered which works with my skin tone--and virtually any other looks absolutely garish. Having dry lips I do have to make sure to constantly moisturize, but after that I have no problem with the application/staying power. The matte look is not really everyone's cup of tea (personally though, I love it), but for this intense red a glossy or slick finish would be way ott for my coloring (not to mention for any professional setting). Definitely would buy again!