Chanel Le Vernis Nail Colour in Vamp #18

3.8

on 2/3/2015 11:21:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

A classic that defined this type of color back in the '90's. Now there are so many duplicates - some just as good some not as good - many are much cheaper.

Chanel - you get what you pay for. Sometimes.

on 11/21/2012 12:14:00 AM

No chipping and/or peeling for days. Classic vamp color from 90's. Deep berry/maroon/almost black shade.

on 6/4/2012 3:59:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

Love this color! I am extremely late to the vampy nail shades. I never liked dark colors until now. This review is for Vamp, not Rouge Noir. Vamp is a deep berry shade; it looks to have a purple base. Two coats yields a pretty, deep maroon color on the nail. I love the fact that it isn't too dark or black (I do not like black colors on my fingers). The quality and the consistency is good. When I tested with no base coat, the polish was evenly pigmented and easy to apply. However, I have found that depending on my base coat, the first coat of polish can be a little streaky. Two coats fixes that problem. Most nail polishes, regardless of brand, do not last long on my nails. I get 3-5 days with Chanel; Vamp lasts about 4 days. I took off one lippie because the price is very high. I would purchase again.

on 2/20/2011 1:40:00 PM

I love to paint my nails every night and in doing so, I use almost all popular types of polishes... so of course I sometimes go HE and have purchased some Chanel at times, which is uber HE (VERY expensive) nail polish, and I am usually pleased with it. However, I did not like this polish at all. It wasn't the color, per se, that I didn't like (although there are several other brands with a similar one, I found out after application) but the consistency that was bad. It was streaky and it took three coats to apply it so that it looked decent. Since I am used to applying my own polish, and work with polishes all the time, I was somewhat outraged that such an expensive product could be so substandard. Perhaps I just got a bad bottle, but is that really an excuse for Chanel, of all brands? Anyway - doubt I use this much and would just warn future purchasers of the brand/this color to keep all packaging and do not throw away receipts! I did and I certainly regret it! Honestly, if I was the CEO of Chanel, someone's head would roll for this one.

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

This is the original Vamp color from Chanel (came out in the 90s). I adore this polish! This has to be my #1 favorite of all 'vampy' colors!

Hair: Blond, Other, Medium

Uma Thurman wore this in "Pulp Fiction". I love this. Such a classic color

on 2/11/2010 3:20:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

Thankfully, I did not actually spend money on this one. My godmother keeps a stash of all the things she buys, but does not like enough to keep, and that is how I stumbled upon this one. The formula is ultra thin and streaky, not something you would expect from something so expensive. It also didn't last at all, and the color . . . it's just kind of blah. If I bought this with my own money . . . I can't even imagine how upset I would be.

on 11/18/2009 10:45:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

I was very disappointed with this polish. Since it was Chanel and was quite a splurge ($23 plus tax), I was expecting a WOW, but instead I felt no wow - I felt completely like a "sucka" for spending this much on a polish that I actually like less than Revlon Vixen!!! Further, I'd read reviews that Chanel polish lasts longer - not for me. Perhaps I didn't use some magic top coat or something. I tried one more Chanel colour & I think I'm through with Chanel polishes - not worth the money when there are so many other good, more moderately priced polishes out there like Essie and OPI.

on 11/17/2009 11:09:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

Meh .. Not the greatest polish to be had, and IMO, definitely not unique enough to warrant the crazy pricetag. Vamp is ironically, the "U.S Version" of #18 Rouge Noir, and they're not even remotely in the same ballpark for me. Vamp is a deep red with a hint of shimmer (not frost) that isn't too visible after a couple of coats. I find the quality of this isn't up to par with my other Chanel polishes, and doesn't seem to have the seamless application. Rouge Noir is considerably prettier and seems to have more depth. It's not that it's horrible .. but it's also not that great and not one that I'm bowled over by at all. You can definitely find much cheaper dupes without shelling out the $23 cost for Vamp. It's a nice "novelty" to have the classic "Vamp", but not worth the hype in my opinion.

on 11/11/2009 12:35:00 PM

I'd been looking for a deep, blood-red color for sometime as I'm really liking this dark polish trend. I'd read some great reviwes about the 'Vamp' color (and Chanel polish in general) so I decided to give it a try.

BIG disappoint!

After buffing my nails and making sure they were clean and dry, I applied a clear base coat, 2 coats of Vamp and a clear top coat last night. By mid morning today, my nails were ALREADY peeling and chipping! For such wildly expensive nail polish, I expected it to last at least 5 days.

The color is just okay. Under the blaring bright lights at the Chanel counter, it looked like a beautiful purplely-red berry. Under "normal" lighting [at home, at the office, in daylight], it basically looks like your everyday burgundy - a color which you can find in any drugstore brand. I think it would look gorgeous on someone pale/fair-skinned, but I have olive-brown skin, so the color doesn't really "pop" on me - just looks like I slammed my hand in a door and was left with bruised fingers/nails.

Save your money and just get some Cover Girl or Maybelline polishes. Revlon's aren't half bad either.

Popular Polishes