Chanel No.19

4.1

This is one of my top 5 favorites of Chanel perfumes. I absolutely love No.19 in edt. Mossy, Cool, Green, woody and casual with an aire of mystery and sophistication. Like being in a lush forest, sort of dry but not stuffy, slightly detached but not cold. I always feel clean and wonderful when I wear this.This is a perfect scent, the projection is great to for an edt. Lasts quite a while with little whiffs here and there. The edp is beautiful as well, there are lots of notes in this perfume. I can detect a rose heart but it's very subtle, still green creamy and wonderful. Takes me back to a bygone era. A very nostalgic fragrance.

If I had to wear only one perfume for the rest of my life... this would be it. I love the smell. The first moments after applications it smells stark and woody, but then it settles down to a lovely, sweet, and sophisticated scent.
The only reason I don't give a full score is because I wished it lasted longer on the skin.

People always fuss about No. 5.

They really need to know that No. 19 exists.

Firstly, No. 19 doesn't look like the urine of a dehydrated workaholic in desperate need of water.

Secondly, the scent of this perfume smells like spring in winter, a new budding bloom snap frozen in a droplet of ice. It's both refreshing, fresh, and crisp. The most discernible notes are floral, highlighted by a contrasting heavier woodsy base notes. The combination elevates this scent to a more mature territory instead of flirty and girly.

A little goes a long way. It's a tease, like the aroma of dessert before you see it. This perfume is haughty. I don't know why but that word comes to mind. It's unapologetic, not bold or in your face but sedate and steady, simply there.

I recommend you ask for a small sample or try some on in a department store and going outside to notice the effects, because it'll be rapidly overwhelmed by other scents in the perfume department. If you spray a LOT on, you don't get the light refreshing hits of rose and flowers, you get the woodsy layers punching through, and that's not what any girl aims for unless she's trying to out man her ex-bf.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Cool

I don't really get the rave reviews of No.19. I'm going to give it 2 lippies because it's OK. I sometimes like wearing my Chanel No.19 EDP to business meetings when I want to come across and feel a bit conservative, matured, yet quite inoffensive.
The scent is very old-school and old-fashioned for me. It's way too harsh for the first couple of minutes and then I only smell a hand soap, that's it. Will definitely not repurchase after I finish (if ever) the bottle that I got as a gift...

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Neutral

EDT Review

I was bought this as an 18th birthday present by my mother, and I adore it. The scent is fresh and green, without being too overpowering. It's also a very androgynous scent, with lovely woody notes to it. I find it works in all situations, but being a student, it is most definitely the most sophisticated perfume I own, and the one I wear for 'dressy' events

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Omg I fell in love with this perfume. I think I've found the one, my signature smell. So many different notes in one bottle.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Back in the '80's I like No 19 - but it seems different tome now.
Not sure if it's my nose or if the formula has changed?
Kinda powdery/aledhydic to me now.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

My first review! I bought this one yesterday, my first bottle, edp 50ml. I've smelled only the bottle for so long time and hated it but for some days ago I sprayed it on my wrist for the first time and I fell in love directly. I almost never like the topnotes in perfumes because it's always to strong and harsh in the beginning so I waited some hours to smell my wrist and then it was perfect, the kind of perfume i've been looking for without really knowing it. I've read a lot about it and it seems that it smells very different depend on who's wearing it. On me it's lovely, ultra feminine, soapy (which i totally love), fresh and so classic. It's doesn't last as long as it should, a perfume for this price and brand should deliver more on that front. I also think it's boring that the small bottle (35ml) is so ugly.. The bigger bottle is so beautiful, my favorite design ever. The reason why i don't going to buy it again is because i think it will last forever! I love it!

Skin: Normal, Medium, Cool

I was thrilled to receive a large spray bottle of this as a gift after having the original 20+ years ago. While it is only a pale shadow of itself, the longevity was even worse -- actually nonexistent. What a disappointment. This was one of the all-time greats in the '80s. It has now gone the way of YSL Rive Gauche, one of the other stars of the perfume world.

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

EDT Review

No. 19 is a strange one... A lot of people label this as a cold, heartless, "ice queen/boardroom bitch", kind of fragrance. I don't get that at all. To me it smells like a bunch of freshly cut morning spring flowers being newly placed in a vase.

I find this to be very soft, slightly powdery, and sensual. I don't find it "unemotional" or whatever. To me I think Chanel Cristalle fulfills all of those previous labels, that is one that I see as more masculine (and one which as a man I happily wear). No. 19 EDT opens a little like the Cristalle EDT does (hyacinch and bergamot) but the galbanum really gives it an amazing quality (warm and sensual). The powdery iris is really beautiful here. It's clean and fresh and sexy at the same time. I do get Oakmoss and Vetiver and I think the earthiness of the Iris (orris root) and the dryness of the Vetiver compliment each other beautifully.

It's true that this fragrance is the opposite of "girly", as it definitely gives off a grown up vibe, but I wouldn't say it's a "cold-hearted bitch" kind of perfume. To me it's quite alive and soft. The kind of person I would see wearing this would be an intellectual, kind hearted young woman, the kind of girl who is really attractive with a sweater and glasses who always has her head in a book, but doesn't know just how beautiful she is kind of thing. Alternatively any woman who wears a suit to work or academic but deep down is still really kind and loving to those around her.

With reference to the unisex quality often attributed to this, I find Chanel Cristalle (also by Henri Robert) more masculine than this, but something like "Dior Homme" (also an iris leathery fragrance) more feminine than this, it being sweeter and more gourmand than No. 19. Coincidentally... I know that my grandfather sometimes wears on occasion so I think it certainly wouldn't be out of place being worn on a man.

As mentioned before, this was Gabrielle Chanel's signature scent. It was originally private and exclusive to her, before being released publicly just before she died. However, that being said... I'm now starting to get a pattern in late Chanel perfumer, Henri Robert's creations: Chanel Pour Monsieur (1955) is a green Chypre, No. 19 (1971) is a green floral, and Cristalle (1974) is floral Chypre. All have Citrus notes, all have Oakmoss, and all have Vetiver. But what sets No. 19 apart is the beautiful, sublime Iris note. Powdery, soft, warm and somehow elegantly clean... it undoubtedly makes No. 19 the plushest, most sensual, and most feminine of the trio. It really is a masterfully blended perfume.

I don't see Chanel No. 19 as a cold, "unemotional" fragrance, to me (a man's opinion) it's like meeting a very attractive yet quiet, shy, intellectual type of girl with a kind, warm, loving heart who you just want to cuddle up with on the sofa by the fire. This is just one gorgeously grown-up, well- balanced fragrance!

Popular Fragrances