November 24, 2014 | 1785 users online

Moisturizers - Elizabeth Arden - Velva Moisture Film

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 4/11/2012 9:20:00 AM More reviews by bernsie

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Silver, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I rember being on a flight from JFK Airport to London in 1974 and they had this in the bathrooms of the plane. This is nothing more than an oil in water lotion. It's an outdated moisturizer and I feel should be discontinued, but I quess there are still some very old women who still use it otherwise it would have been discontinued long ago. I think you can find more high tech ingredients in a cheap body lotion which would be more advanced/efficient in holding onto water thereby hydrating the skin than this "old as the hills" product. It's formulation has got to be from the 1960's if not the '50's, that's how old this formula is. If you are still using this it's time for you to take the jump and move onto something better/more modern. Visible Difference would be better than this and that formula is from 1978, better than the mid 20th century "Velva Moisture Film." They made a killing w/Visible Difference. It penetrated some of the most outer most layers of skin at least and held onto water (through the ingredient "olive oil") pushing the hydration into the uppermost superficial layers of skin.It's a blast remebering this stuff and then reviewing it. Lauder made a moisturizer called Estoderm Lotion from the late 50's early 60's. The advertisement for it was a baby chick hatching out it's shell as the product supposedly had a whole egg in each of the pale blue bottles. I don't think this is available anymore not even as an "On Call" product which these ancient formula's were refered to within the cosmetic industry.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/20/2011 4:56:00 PM More reviews by BalsamandAmbrosia

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Medium Brown, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

i really like this moisturizer. Its meant for combination skin types. (my skin is normal/combination, but i do have drier areas), and i use this in the daytime (as a daytime moisturizer) because i'm drier. I use this both as a daytime moisturizer and as a primer for my foundation. I just wish that Arden carried the complete Skin Basics line (i think was originally from the 1990's, or whatever), but i would love to try the velva Cream mask as well. Am sad, that the skin basics is not a complete full line (anymore?). I will have to phone the SA at the counter to see if the other Skin Basics products are available,

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/19/2011 10:57:00 PM More reviews by onitacy

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

Very very surprised at how well this product worked. I paid 12.99 for almost 7 oz. at TJMaxx. It is truly a simple basic moisturizer that easily soaked into my parched skin. Love that it doesn't make me break out. Love that my makeup goes perfectly on top of this. I do use Avon's Ulitmate Serum first, then this, then foundation. Worth 43 dollars retail, nah, don't think so. 12.99 discount - absolutely! I plan on going back later this week to get two more bottles. UPDATE: love it so much I'm using on my body now. Great to have just one moisturizer for face and body. At night I use Avon's Ultimate Night Repair cream by itself and it that leaves my skin perfect so I don't need addll moisture.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/1/2010 11:33:00 PM More reviews by Rachelchick

Age: Unknown Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Saw this at TJ Maxx and couldn't believe I was getting such a good deal. It works well on my oily skin and doesn't break me out. I would repurchase, but only at TJ Maxx for the $9.99 I got it for!

rated 1 of 5 on 7/25/2009 9:52:00 PM More reviews by cortneyrozell

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I am a makeup artist. I also have bad acne-prone combo skin. My t-zone is rough and very oily, and the rest of my skin is normal. I wanted to get my skin in better condition to go makeup-less so my mom picked me this stuff up for me at TJ Maxx for $12, and i've been using it ever since. It evens out my skin, and makes it sooooo soft and smooth. It's lightweight, and doesn't break me out either.

UPDATE: I have been getting breakouts and I discovered this was the culprit. I no longer use it.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/13/2008 9:35:00 PM More reviews by strawberryicepop

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Cool Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I've only been using this for 2 days, so I'll update this review as time goes on. I have acne prone skin, so I use Proactiv, and Olay Complete Moisturizer for Oily/Combo skin during the day. This is for night time use for me. It makes my skin sooooo incredibly soft! =) And also moisturizes well, and it hasn't broken me out yet. Very happy for now. I get it at TJ Maxx for about $12.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/27/2007 1:18:00 AM More reviews by ceciliaxu

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

Pretty good. Superise me, so smooth and soft. Just got it, so far so good.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/31/2007 6:43:00 PM More reviews by kmichael

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

Wonderful stuff. I bought this for $12 at Marshall's on a whim and discovered a light, non-irritating moisturizer that's heavenly on my combo skin. And when I say combo, I mean it - I can have a super oily t-zone while my chin and cheeks are bumpy and flaky and horrible. And guess what - this stuff corrects both problems.

Definitely will repurchase, if I ever finish the enormous bottle, even if i have to pay full price!

rated 2 of 5 on 7/29/2007 1:43:00 AM More reviews by swcc

I saw some good reviews here so I decided to try it. Definitely not for me. It felt good at first, but eventually, it didn't do enough for my dry skin. The strong scent was quite a turn-off too. The packaging is simple and quite decent while the price is pretty good ($39 for 6 oz!!) considering it's 'Elizabeth Arden' but I returned it after 10 days of trying. I'm 27 and if it doesn't work for my fairly youthful skin, I'm not sure how it'll do anything for others. p.s.I've just started using Laura Mercier's flawless skin creame and so far quite happy with it...

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/14/2007 8:21:00 AM More reviews by Rachel1234

Oooooooooooooohhh, this is a nice product! I have oily/combo skin, and most moisturizers are too heavy for me, but this moisturizer feels so good on my skin. You only need a small amount to cover your whole face, and it leaves skin literally feeling like velvet. Honestly .... like velvet. Sooooooo soft. It seems to even out my skin also - slightly mattifying my oily t-zone and also adding softness and moisture to my normal/dry cheeks. My powder foundation goes on like a dream over this too. The fragrance is soft and comforting and disappears quickly after applying. This sells in department stores for about $38.00 but I purchased mine at T.J.Maxx for $12.00. Very, very nice! :)