Maybelline Great Lash Mascara Blackest Black

2.9

Price: $

Price: $

on 4/19/2015 11:36:00 AM

It's definitely very black but the formula is very "wet" and doesn't work for me

on 4/6/2015 9:51:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Not Sure

When I first heard about Great Lash, I was so excited. Everyone was raving about how well it worked. When I found out it was so cheap I was thrilled. I decided to buy the 'Blackest Black' one because I wanted my lashes to really stand out. The euphoria ended when I tried it. It clumps, smudges, runs and the brush is horrible. When I take the brush out of the container, there is globs of product on it. Also, it doesn't coat all of my lashes evenly. This mascara makes my lashes feel quite heavy, which is awful. Probably the only thing I liked about the product was the packaging, with its cute and classic shape and color.

on 2/28/2015 12:34:00 PM

I have used Maybelline mascara, as well as several other brands of mascara, in years past with no problems at all, but for some reason, this particular formula (Blackest Black?) has resulted in a severe allergic reaction in the form of dermatitis on both the upper and lower lash lines and the surrounding skin. My eyes are swollen, itchy, and inflamed, and it is NOT enjoyable.

I am not sure if the content of this article is still relevant, as it was published in 2009, but it discusses similar cases resulting from Maybelline's use of shellac in its mascara at that time. I do not know whether shellac is to blame for the strange reaction that I and approximately 10% of the other customers who have posted reviews have experienced, but it may be worth looking into:

Regardless of which chemical component of the formula is responsible for causing such dermatological irritation, it is egregiously irresponsible of Maybelline to continue marketing this product without a warning, considering that a significant number of individuals have experienced an adverse reaction, a number which far exceeds the four patients named in the case study above.

Anyway, hope this warning serves someone well. If you have a special event coming up, steer clear - the swelling doesn't go down immediately after stopping usage.

on 1/20/2015 3:45:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

I used to love this product - cheap, decent mascara, long lasting, natural... although I am sure the formula has changed in recent years as my eyes have suddenly become really sensitive to it. I never remember the product smelling, although now it has a very strong odour of alcohol/chemicals, which instinctively makes me not want to put it near my eyes! It's also now incredibly hard to remove, I use the non-waterproof formula and I have to scrub like mad with eye make up remover to get all of it off.
Sadly, I won't be purchasing this again.

on 1/20/2015 3:06:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure

I have been wearing make up for 30 years. I have never had an allergic reaction, until I used Great Lash, Blackest Black mascara. Red, itchy, painful eyes - lots of discharge that lasted over a week. I had to see a doctor and get on prescriptions drugs. I had to miss work because of the discomfort - I couldn't see anything. The mascara has a chemically smell to it - there must be something toxic in there. If you have any doubts - don't buy this product. There are plenty of other options out there. You don't want or need the hassle.

on 10/30/2014 12:04:00 AM

Just not as good as the cult classic.... It feels like it's old since its a bit dry......PASS

on 10/10/2014 7:43:00 AM

I'm a complete sucker for cute packaging, and there's something nostalgic about this mascara that always catches my eye. I have tried literally every version (big lash, lots-o-lashes, intense, doll eye....) and without fail, they all fail. Every time. If I put one coat on they seem to work better. I'm sure in the 70s when this first came out it was a great product, but now there are so many other better options out there ! As much as this mascara sucks , I still gave it 2 stars for the packaging alone . And I'll probably continue to give it "one more try" for that very reason lol.

on 9/6/2014 10:35:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Worst. Mascara. Ever.

I bought this on a whim because I needed a new mascara, so I picked this up. My mom said it worked well for her, and since I was blessed with her ultra-fine and short lashes, I listened to her and bought this stuff.

The wand is this weird, coiled-looking thing. When I first saw that, I didn't know what I had gotten myself into. I ignored my objecting thoughts against this mascara and began applying it to my curled lashes. IT IS THE WORST BRUSH EVER, CAN I JUST SAY THAT. It literally brought my lashes TOGETHER, clumping them as if they were supposed to be brought together by fate or something. I swear I seen them hugging each other. By the end of the application, I looked like Spongebob where he only has 3 eyelashes on each eye. Not cool, Maybelline.
Oh, and on top of that, it gave me raccoon eyes and smudged everywhere under my eyes and somehow on my browbone. Yeah...

This mascara is literally the definition for crushed hopes and dreams. I had high expectations for this product and they were demounted within seconds of application.
Thank you, Maybelline. I will not be purchasing again.

But on the bright side, the packaging makes it look like a mascara that works. That's how they sucked me in.

on 9/5/2014 4:37:00 PM

Skin: Other, Dark, Not Sure

This is for the one with the black top. I love this mascara! I have naturally long lashes and this makes them black, full, and separated. It's not for crying occasions because it is certainly not waterproof, it's not claiming to be. I love it. No complaints.

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

This product has great reputation and a huge following, and after hearing so many rants and raves about it I decided to give it a try. But it did not perform as I expected.
The wand clumped my lashes together, rather than providing a clean separated look. The pigmentation provided a nice jet black color as expected.
For the price, I prefer Cover Girl Last Blast (my go to mascara). It provides better volume, separation, and the wand is, in my opinion, of better quality.
This mascara provides a more natural sense of volume, so if you are expecting big lashes I suggest you look else where. While it may be the go to mascara for some, I think I'll stick to my ol' favorite.