Dior Crayon Eyeliner in Precious Violet

4.2

on 8/24/2015 8:58:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

I've had the same pencil for a few years and enjoy when I use it. When I purchased this, this particular colour was recommended to me upon a visit to the Dior counter. For reference, I have very fair skin and blonde hair so I can't use black pencils. The Precious Violet colour is very soft and natural looking and more of a soft brown/amethyst colour than a violet/purple colour. I don't use this as my everyday liner, but like to use it to define the outer edges of my top lash line for an extra polished look with certain shadows. The quality of the pencil is very good; creamy, applies easily with good, buildable pigmentation yet does not look too severe and has excellent staying power.

on 1/16/2012 8:38:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

This is my HG eyeliner. It is a creamy pencil eyeliner which is a fabulous shade of dark violet. I have green eyes and have often found that black eyeliners are way too harsh and hard looking for the look that I want. This is perfect as violet makes green/blue eyes look AMAZING and even more vibrant. Whenever I use this, it makes my eyes look enormous - almost like a Disney character. Its not as harsh as pure carbon black and gives a stunning but softer look. I like the consistency of this pencil aswell- a lot of eyeliners can be really hard and drag the skin as you apply them- this one doesn't, its very soft and yet not prone to smudging- perfect!

on 11/21/2011 5:46:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

I love the creamy application, but it can be a double edged sword. It glides on so smoothly, depositing rich color in one swipe. No need to try and build up intensity with this one because the first time always pays off. But sometimes it can be a little too soft, and depending on what type of shadow I'm wearing, it can disappear quickly. Powder shadows tend to provide a better base for this to latch on to, whereas certain cream shadows (even those that have a long-wear, dry finish) can turn this into a bit of a melt down. I don't have oily lids at all, and I never need primer, so it's always a bit of an annoyance when that happens. But for such a silky application and pliant texture, I'm willing to work with it.

The color is a perfect red based plum. I love purples and I wear both blue toned and red toned versions, but this is the best of the latter category. It's unmistakably purple, but not enough to look garish or overwhelming. The red/brown tones in it never look ruddy either. The finish is a muted metallic with a shimmer that reads as more of a sheen than sparkle. It's understated, and I use this as a neutral eyeliner instead of black, brown, or gray. It makes my green eyes stand out too.

This doesn't last as long on me as I'd like it too. After about six hours it just sort of fades away. I have other Dior Crayon liners and I don't have a problem with their lasting power as I do with this specific color. But I've repurchased this once already and I will again whenever I run out. It's a long lasting pencil though, given how often I use it, so I only ever repurchase every other year or so. It's one of my staple purples.

on 1/20/2011 12:57:00 AM

The very best.

on 6/30/2009 9:15:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I bought mine yeaaaaars ago as an alternative to black.
the colour not really violet. more like a brown-plum, really unusual.
i nooticed that it is not to wear if you are tired... the tone accentuates dark circles and tired eyes.
i'm very pale with dark brown eyes.

it comes w a pointer and a blender, great for smokey eyes, back in 2005 was not that usual.

texture is great but it doesn't long so i combine in w shadows in plum (shiseido and some shades of black)

i still use it with pleasure. i'll purchase again

on 3/27/2008 1:58:00 PM

I purchased this recently at the Dior counter. I have dark brown eyes, and I typically wear black eyeliner because nothing else seems to define my eyes as well. However, occasionally, I will stray from my basic black to either a dark green or a dark purple.

The Precious Violet is more of a plum than a purple. Compared to the other violet liner in my stable (Laura Mercier eye kohl in Blackened Violet), this is warmer toned and also lighter in color.

The Dior liners feel a bit heavier than Chanel or MAC. (I think maybe there is more wax and less Nylon-12? I'm not sure... I have not checked out the ingredients.) They're also a bit harder. Overall, though, they are pretty long-lasting, and the blender tip on the other side is useful for creating a smokey eye or just smudging the line a bit.

I also like this liner (and the Chanel) because it comes with its own sharpener, and also has a metal cap rather than flimsy plastic.

Overall, I would repurchase if I ran out. continued >>

I own a number of Dior eyeliners. While they are not as soft as the Lise Watier Eye Shine liners, they are still reasonably soft, and I dont have to sharpen them as often to keep the point on it. This is a lovely colour, it's subtle - in fact I wouldn't really call it "violet" it's more a deep purple plum colour. Either way, it looks gorgeous with my blue eyes, most especially when I do my eyes up with pinks, purples and plums.

I found that it lasted reasonably well, both on my eyes, and the pencil in general. I've had mine for a couple of years now, and it's about just less than half in size. I love how it makes a nice smokey eye. One thing that I love with Dior liners is that they have both a pencil end, and a sponge smudging end. They also come with their own pencil sharpener. I love having a whole bunch of sharpeners around when I need them, so I put one in all my bags and in my desk etc. Very handy indeed!

Final Verdict: Beautiful, subtle and sophisticated purple eyeliner, with great packaging and bonus sharpener.
Recommend: For sure! Great pencil, price isn't too outrageous, especially since you're also getting a good quality sharpener with it, and it's a high quality pencil.

on 1/20/2008 6:31:00 AM

i love this eyeliner. i used to go for the darker "gothic black" look, but when i went for my makeover, i wanted to do something a little more grown-up and professional. the cd lady tried the violet liner on me and i was hooked. it gives your eyes a nice, smokey look without the harshness of black eyeliner. i have deep brown eyes and find the color to be complimentary. it also lasts forever- i bought mine in summer 2005 and have just gotten down to less than half a stick.

on 10/26/2007 6:45:00 AM

Overall I'm quite disppointed with this product. I usually love all things Dior...but I found this eyeliner did not go on very well at all. I'm used to the sharp definition of CHANEL crayon kohl eyeliners and found this one to pale in comparison. It's not very dark, doesn't layer on very well and doesn't have a lot of staying power. Also, I found it to be way too light to line the inside of my lids with (not that I do that on a constant basis) as it wasn't pigmented enough or the pencil 'lead' was too soft or something. I also found that it did nothing for my green eyes (which I expected it to do).

Also a little annoying thing was the that lid didn't fit on the top of the other lid...so when you're doing your eyes you kind of have nowhere to place the lid (a little gripe I know).

All in all, I'm kind of sad that I ever strayed from my HG Chanel and know not to stray in the future :)

Great for when you want something a bit more subtle than black!
It highlights my green eyes very well, is easy to put on and stays on the whole day. Plus it comes with a smudger on the back of the pencil and a sharpener.