October 25, 2014 | 1425 users online

Hair Styling Tools - Conair - Professional Straightening Iron

rated 3 of 5 on 4/19/2009 12:13:00 AM More reviews by abbottcm

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I had a love/hate relationship with this flat iron, but eventually hate just took over. My first flat iron I thought was good at the time, but I now realize did not work well at all (I think it was a Revlon, but that was so long ago, who really knows). Once I had thoroughly used that one until it died, I bought this one. It was easy to find, since you could get one at any drug store or Target. It worked so much better than the one I previously had, and I love that it had different heat settings so I could crank up the power. Also, I like the X-shaped styling of this iron better than what I can only call the tweezer-style closure that I had previously used. It felt a little more natural to me. I enjoyed that it came with attachments, but to be honest, I would only use them for about 2 weeks when I first bought the device. So it seemed like life was good... for about 8 to 10 months, until the thing would fail to heat up anymore (or at least one plate, at any rate, it just did not work). FYI, the warranty on this item is for 1 year, but I do not think I ever had one that lasted more than 1 year and 1 month. That was always the biggest disappointment. Who wants to deal with sending back a $25 flat iron? It is almost cheaper to just buy a new one, which was what I always did, so I just do not feel like Conair held up their end of the deal. After loyally re-purchasing this same iron at least 3 to 4 times, I have finally opted for a high end straightening iron (a GHD IV... love it!) and really don't know that I will ever go back. I still have one for in a pinch, like if my GHD were to break and I need to send it in (heaven forbid). It just will not be my everyday flat iron.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/21/2008 5:37:00 PM More reviews by sarahjb2007

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This straightener works really great on my wavy hair. My hair is pin straight afterwords and it stays all day. This iron is cheat and has lasted me for about 2 years and is still doing awesome. I really like this straightener and how easy it is to use and how quick it heats up!

rated 1 of 5 on 8/28/2008 10:29:00 PM More reviews by pinksugaraddict

i absolutely hate this & conair! this is my first ever iron & after about 6 months, my hair was getting split ends and smelled "burnt" & even with the use of a hair protecting spray, the smell of that just fused with the "burnt" smell and made me feel sick. it's been about 2 years since i first purchased & it still works, but it's not as "effective".

this made my hair really dry & even with deep conditioners & oil treatments, my hair is not the same! even with every other monthly hair trims, i still see split ends!

i suggest you all to NEVER buy not only this, but any cheap hair tools. i really think that you should all save this type of hair trouble & buy a high quality hair tool instead because even if you think you're saving money, you'll just be wasting $20-40 & more to repair the hair damage it caused you.

i'm currently on the search for my next flat iron & i think i'm gnna try a ghd. that's a really big gap, price wise & probably quality wise but this is a risk i'm willing to take because i never want to experience anything like this again!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/10/2007 1:46:00 PM More reviews by dhall5

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is a review for the Jilbere de Paris™ Titanium Tools™ Professional Flat Iron 1-1/2" by Conairpro, which I purchased at Sally Beauty Supply for about $60-$70. It has 40 heat settings, and heats up quickly (I set it between 30-35). Being caucasian, with curly, colored, and somewhat coarse, shoulder-length hair, I was used to using flat irons with teeth that pulled your hair through, and was skeptical about a flat iron sans teeth. I've disovered that my hair is in better condition now (keeping in mind that I also use an alcohol-free thermal protectant spray), and I spend less time straightening! This iron is fabulous, and priced right, compared to some of the other flat irons that cost over $100.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/27/2006 6:13:00 PM More reviews by izzybella

This is my first flat iron, so I don't have any others to compare this to. I do notice a few things though - first, my hair snags between the two plates. As I'm pulling the iron through sections of my hair, I notice it doesn't pass through smoothly like it does with my hairstylist's professional grade flat iron. Secondly, after a few months of use, there was this gross yellow residue that showed up on the plates. At first I thought it was because my trashy roommate had been using my flat iron and her extensions had melted on the plates (HAH!), but I was told that it was the glue from the plates, or the "ceramic" coating on the plates had melted off. Hmmm. Either way, I don't think I'd repurchase or buy another drug store flat iron. If you're a heavy-duty straight-ironing girl, I think it would be worth your while to stick with the high end stuff and skip the cheapy stuff.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/12/2003 5:19:00 PM More reviews by jen8

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I bought this iron this summer and I think it's okay. My hair has looked nicer with other irons but this one's not that bad.

rated 1 of 5 on 9/28/2003 6:05:00 PM More reviews by HeatherFeather

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is junk. It does not straighten my hair at all. I wish I had not bothered with the cheap thing. I replaced it with a ceramic flat iron from the Sharper Image that works 100 times better. I am now replacing the Sharper Image flat iron with the HAI Convertible because the Sharper Image one is not perfect either. However, anything is better than the Conair piece of garbage. Don't waste your money.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/20/2003 5:16:00 PM More reviews by sillywilly

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This was a waste of money for me. It didn't straighten my thick wavy hair at all.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/24/2003 10:03:00 AM More reviews by CADUPREE

Ok, I have fine curly hair. This works great for the straightening function, except for one MAJOR thing. If you aren't EXTRA, EXTRA careful when using this, your hair gets caught in the gap they left under the plates, and it breaks your hair off! And I mean CHUNKS of your hair! It is impossible to untangle all of your hair once it gets caught.
Thanks to this product I have a ton of those irritating fly-aways that static drives upward!
Definitley looking for something better, I don't have time to be that careful while doing my hair.
I have been looking at those new heated brushes that have some sort of motion that's supposed to straighten and add body.