October 25, 2014 | 1743 users online

Lip Gloss - Boots - Botanics Love Your Lips Gloss

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 5/14/2010 7:40:00 PM More reviews by nnmca

I have been wanting to try Boots cosmetics since the brand came to Target, but never had a compelling reason to outlay the cash to try it out. Enter the 75% off makeup clearance bin, where I have cheaply discovered many current loves (such as Yes to Carrots and Physician's Formula). The shade I bought was called "Pecan", which looked like a deep cool bronze in the tube (and was apparantly being discontinued, which should have been my first clue...) Unfortunately, as soon as I put it on my lips, I knew it was going straight in the trash. Firstly, the stench: it reeked of citrus oil, which reminded me of a household cleaner. Botanical, yes...pleasant, not so much. Then, let's discuss the shade. It was sheer slightly shimmery...orange. You know when you buy a bronzer that you think will be the most fabulous caramely brown hue, and it turns out to be oompa-loompa Lindsay Lohan orange? This gloss was like that. I will say that the texture was fine, and the tube with doe-foot applicator was fine. I also give Target kudos for providing testers of the Boots glosses (they didn't have a tester for this discontinued shade, in case you were wondering.) But I have one more caveat, even if you don't mind the fragrance or happen upon a better shade than I did: while older tubes of this product are made in Germany, I found newer tubes that are now made in Thailand, and the same shade name is very different in hue! For example, a shade called "Star Anise" was cool plummy brown for the Made in Germany version, and warmer rosey brown for the Made in Thailand version. Therefore, even if you find a good match, you may be disappointed when you go to rebuy.

rated 2 of 5 on 7/6/2009 1:39:00 AM More reviews by VNicola

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I chose this lip gloss in Mallow; a pretty pink-brown, but it has too much shimmer. I do not like the feel, and it makes my lips peel. I think I have an allergy to something in this product. It does smell good though.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/21/2009 11:10:00 PM More reviews by hein0201

This review is for the Botanics lip glosses in the tubes with the doe-foot wands. I got a mauve-type color and the clear, but the labels came off and I don't know the colors anymore.

Smell was horrid... like really bad wooden floor cleaner. Couldn't even keep on long enough to appreciate any color or moisturizing qualities. Waste of money... wish I hadn't even bothered.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/31/2008 8:08:00 PM More reviews by nikknakk

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I just purchased this in loganberry. to be honest I was not expecting much from a drugstore brand but this is a really nice product. couldent tell you what it smells like maybe mint? nice color and coverage texture is nice not too sticky but not too sheer nice pigment. overall It is a nice lipgloss.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/3/2007 5:34:00 PM More reviews by april1976

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I admit - I am a total sucker for anything new at my local SuperTarget. Boots is no exception -especially since I fell in love with all things Boots in Europe over a decade ago. I bought one in Star Anise first, then in Loganberry. Around $7 a pop - pretty good since I have paid plenty more for MAC, Vincent Longo, Cargo..etc. Plus, Boots is an animal and eco-friendly company.

Some History: I used to be a total lipgloss junkie. For the past year I have really been into tinted balms, lipstains and just plain Rosebud Salve. Since my lips make up about 45% of my face, having them chapped or having balled up lipstick on them is not an option for the overall attractiveness I attempt to achieve each morning. They are also heavily pigmented/Jolie-esque - hence the love of just plain balm.

General Gloss Review: One lippie off for the nice, but almost sickly sweet grapefruit smell. I adore grapefruit-scented anything, but this borders on overkill. The texture of the gloss, however, seems to be perfect. It goes on effortlessly and for the most part, stays put. So far, so good with fading evenly over time and no stickiness. I do use a good balm (right now it's Bobbi Brown SPF 15 - the one in the silver pot) before applying, but I have not noticed that this gloss dries me out like MAC does.

Color Review:
Star Anise: You know how Angelina typically wears a more neutral, muted gloss to make her lips look less red? Well, this nearly perfect for that. It's a muted brownish-pink with a muddy (but that's not bad) tone. It makes my lips look polished and subtle. A really perfect nude for me. Honestly I didn't really like it in the bathroom light, but as soon as I got outside in the natural light and checked it out - I loved it.

Loganberry: This is what I would call a YLBB shade. Just slightly reddish, but not Bozo-red. Think a bit more neutral with perhaps a touch of brown. Looks really great with subtle make up or smokey-brown eyes.

continued >>

rated 4 of 5 on 4/30/2007 2:04:00 PM More reviews by raquelnoel

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I got this on sale yesterday at Target in Loganberry. It is a reddish, pinky-brown color. I am very fair skinned/freckles, with light brown/slightly red and blonde highlights and hazel colored eyes, and this color is quite flattering on me. I think it is a go-with-anything color, and looks darker in the tube than on your lips. It is the consistency of a creamy, moisturizing lipstick rather than a sticky, slimy, lip gloss, and it is actally fairly sheer. I don't love this color, but I will try other colors from this line because I like lip glosses that are similar to sheer lipsticks.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/4/2007 4:01:00 PM More reviews by pillager

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Bought this product at Target the other day where they had an irresistible Boots display (kudos to their marketing folks). Had tried the Botanics line in England and loved it, so am happy to find it so readily available now stateside. Bought this gloss in Pecan, a nice dark brown, but not overwhelming. It goes on pretty dark, but then spreads to a nice brown tint. Slightly shinier than regular lipstick and isn't as sticky as other glosses I've tried. The grapefruit taste is also preferable to the tallow-y taste of many lipsticks.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/8/2006 1:04:00 PM More reviews by Gaijin

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I got this in Mallow which is a nice subtle color that isn't sticky. However it has tons of little glittery bits in it that I notice when rubbing it off onto a tissue, and it takes a lot of rubbing to get them all off. I like to be able to remove glosses quickly and easily before I eat so that I don't ingest any of it, but this is a pain. Would not buy again unless they got rid of the glitter.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/4/2005 1:43:00 PM More reviews by alicious

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Nice moisture and totally non-sticky. I'd like it if it lasted a tiny bit longer but you can only expect so much staying power if you don't like sticky glosses. I have it in Mallow which is a lovely MLBB shimmery nude. I think this color would look good on most people. Very natural and flattering.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/24/2005 2:11:00 PM More reviews by staceyrose

I haven't used one of these for several years but I thought I'd review the product as I was really allergic to it. I think it contains some kind of pineapple extract - I am slightly allergic to pineapple so as you can imagine I had swollen lips. My mother actually thought I'd had collegen injections. Pouty lips = good, but I had pouty *sore* lips.