July 29, 2014 | 848 users online

Fragrances - Ralph Lauren - Safari for Women

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 12/8/2013 5:15:00 AM More reviews by SorceressOfTheDark

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Safari began as a very earthy scent for me, a welcome winter fragrance that is full, rich and seems to embody heavy spices. It's a very powerful perfume that can overwhelm if used with a heavy hand, I found. If dabbed on the pulse points and one allows the heat of the body to release it, Safari is better allowed to express itself. But then it began to change.
It seemed to switch around at mid-point for me and become more cloyingly thick with floral overtones. I had difficulty with this perfume. As time went on, it thickened, rather than mellow out and ease into my own body chemistry. The scent became more astringent and dark green in affect rather than sweeter grasses. It was far more pungent than I expected.
This vintage safari turned out not to be my style and work against me, rather than with me.
Top Notes: Orange, Black Currant, Tagetes, Narcissus, Mandarin Orange, Galbanum, Hiacynth, Cassis.
Middle Notes: Rosemary, Orange Blossom, Orris Root, Italian Jasmine, Rose, Narcissus.
Base Notes: Sandalwood, Amber, Patchouli, Vetiver, Cedar.

rated 1 of 5 on 5/22/2013 6:18:00 AM More reviews by girlraven

I got this in set of minis it's too strong and masculine for my likings, I like prettier lighter more feminine scents, I would not purchase this full size

rated 5 of 5 on 3/24/2013 1:53:00 PM More reviews by bigtexhair

This is my signature fragrance. I can smell the orange blossom at first, then it mellows into a fragrant, mild incense. Great for hot, dry weather in the Southwest. It went away but now is back if you look for it. The lotion they made with it was heavenly, but now, sadly, it is gone along with the other Safari accoutrements Good for any occasion.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/21/2012 9:03:00 AM More reviews by Lilosette

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Does color have a smell? Everyone has it's own interpretation to such Questions,ie; Red,A rose?, Cherry,Pepper?,Y.S.L Opium? Blue, Blueberries,Water,
Sea-breeze?,D&G Light Blue?

Safari with a note of Aldehyde Giving a picture of a Meadow after the Midnight Rain into a
Misty early morning Dew with tinge of Sharp Cold Nuances,In a few Minutes The note of Galbanum with
it's Resinous Greens brings Safari a Leafy Fullness
Saturated Fields of Orange and Yellow Tagetes with their velvet Petals turns Safari Herbaceous,

I Can notice a Note of Peach during the middle of
the Aldehyde and Galbanum Clash adding a fruity
Touch in this already Multifaceted Canvas,

With the Notes that i smelled and that of that note cards I Would Picture Safari Like an Interplay or a Battle Of Colors to see who will dominate Like the
Aldehydes and The Galbanum are the Green Notes
and Tagetes Orange on a Vast Meadow

But i Must Add that The Flacon design has to be
sheer Craftsmanship The Bottle makes you think
of the Old Antebellum South women with Corsets
and Hoop skirts Dixie Scarlet O'Hara Rogues
who sit on the porch Sipping Bourbon Under Lines
of Oak Trees,

Ralph Lauren Safari Gives me that Vibe.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/28/2010 8:27:00 PM More reviews by Couture77

I only like Safari because it's nostalgic for me. It reminds me of my high school days, sneaking out to meet boys wearing this. My girlfriend and I would go into her mom's bedroom and spray each other from head to toe with it then head out for the night. It's very strong, nearly offensive, quite woody and exceptionally bold. It brings back fond memories of turning into a lady and I suppose it's so classic that it will be loved for years to come. I recently purchased a bottle but only wear it when I'm in a certain mood; definitely not something I'd wear on a day to day basis.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/15/2009 6:39:00 PM More reviews by Mashavu

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Brown

I received this parfum as a gift from a friend of mine and I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it! Absolutely gorgeous bottle. I rarely hear anyone comment on a spicy note in the parfum...but that's what I get from it. Works very well with my body chemistry.

Like many, I, too, mourned its discontinuation. Until yesterday.......

Lo and behold, it is part of the product line on the official Ralph Lauren website! Price: $60. You can, however, buy it from Overstock.com for $35 dollars (or so), plus a $1 for shipping.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/6/2009 9:16:00 AM More reviews by eurodivas

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have used this fragrance for years and have purchased it multiple times I just finished another bottle and realized that I never did a review for it. This is one of the fragrances that I crave every now and then as it is so wonderful. I wear it summer and winter depending on the mood I am in. Long lasting and very classy.

I am a bit sad as I saw in one review below that this is discontinued? Hard to believe as I have always taken it for granted that this would always be there when I want another bottle. I bought my last one about one and a half to 2 years ago. But I swear to god that I still see this in the Perfumaries here...hmmm

Wish me luck.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/16/2009 11:39:00 PM More reviews by Dagney

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Interesting, sophisticated fragrance. I didn't like the opening at all due to the powder. However, heart of the fragrance is wonderful - I can't stop smelling my wrist. Spicy and floral with some soapyness - I haven't smelled anything else like it. Beautiful bottle. I do want this as part of my collection so will purchase. Would be wonderful to wear in the fall.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 12/26/2008 7:33:00 PM More reviews by Nina_82

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Not my kind of fragrance - it's very strong, and to me this smells too masculine and spicy. Not so bad when you just get a whiff of it from far away, but up close it's just ick!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/2/2008 7:17:00 PM More reviews by sunshine824

Being on a recent "green" and "woods" perfume hunt, I tried Safari in a local perfume shop. While I can appreciate others' love for it, I can also understand why it was discotinued.

Safari starts off very crisp and green. It's like a walk through the woods. You can smell the green leaves and trees around you and get hit in the face with a branch. The opening is *THAT* green. However, after it dries down, it turns into a more typical "Ralph Lauren" fragrance which means = S.O.A.P.

Don't get me wrong. I like both greens AND soapy fragrances. But this fragrance probably didn't keep the green-ness long enough for most green lovers, and had too much twigs & leaves going on for the soap or floral lovers.

Either way, it IS more complex than most of his recent offerings, but I can't remember the last Ralph Lauren fragrance I smelled that wasn't some variation of shampoo(Lauren, Blue, Ralph) or soap(Romance, Safari). If anyone still wants to buy Safari, you might want to check local perfume shops, kiosks in the mall, or online.

5 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No