Sally Hansen Creme Hair Remover for Face

2.3

on 5/30/2015 6:27:00 PM

I was looking for an alternative to waxing and found this product. It was $5 at Walgreens and I saw good reviews for this on Youtube so I thought why not?

The first few times I used the Sally Hansen Facial Hair Removal kit, it worked very well. It smells very strong and did leave some reddening and a burning feeling afterwards so I found it best to use at night or if I was going to be inside for the day in order for the redness to heal. My facial hair is a light blonde with a few coarse dark hairs that grow in random areas on my chin. It is like peach fuzz. I used this product 4 times over a 3 month period.

I found it best to remove with cotton balls and lukewarm water. Washclothes and towels seemed to be too rough in that delicate area. But the last time I used this hair remover, the entire area that I used it on was raw after removing the product and even after applying the after-care lotion. There was scarring left on the side of my lip and underneath my chin. The scars were noticeable, flaky, scabby, dry and very painful. It was embarrassing to go outside.

As a last ditch effort to reduce the scarring the night before going back to work after the weekend, I applied cold sore treatment to the scars. I don't know if this would work for everyone that has had facial scarring from this product but it did help visibly reduce the scarring almost overnight for me. It helped reduce the pain too. I ended up using the cold sore treatment for about a day and a half in total until the scabbing was gone. There is some light scarring but that seems to be going away as well.

I wouldn't recommend this product to others because of the scabs and scarring that using this hair remover has left. I am going to email Sally Hansen and include pics of the scabs that using this product has left. Please be careful and follow the instructions to a tee if you are going to use this.

on 4/29/2015 11:36:00 AM

I used it the way the directions described, I put it on upper lip and outer sides of my mouth and left it on for 3 minutes.
Then wiped it of with a cold wet cotton ball.
Right after I noticed my upper lip and sides became red and irritated. I felt a stingy burn.
It didn't go away within hours, I woke up the next day and still red with stingy burn feeling.
I put aloe Vera cooling gel and vitamin e oil on it through the night. I woke up the next morning and put hydrocortisone on it. I hope this goes away within the next few days. It's just feels very uncomfortable and makes me feel nervous.
I do not reccomend this product at all especially if you have sensitive skin. The only reason I tried it was because I thought it would keep the hair away longer than it does when I use a lip shaver.
Well it's not worth getting embarrassing red irritated skin. I would recommend continue to use the lip shaver or read more reviews about other products that people had better results with.
So far it looks like the hydrocortisone is helping.
Oh by the way, I used the older version of the thicker cream with brush a few years ago and I didn't ever break out with red irritation. So never assume if you used same name brand product and now it's changed or upgraded that you will still get same results. This new style was worse for me, I figured I used this brand before and nothing would go wrong. Always try a small amount to test, I didn't cause I figured I would be fine since I used this brand name before.
Good luck everyone♡
It's been a few days now and my face around my upper lip and sides of lips are still not healed. It doesn't sting as bad as before and a little of the redness went away but it still looks like an irritated broken out mild rash around the sides of my lips. I've been applying Vitamin E and Hydrocortisone about twice each day so far. It almost looks like it's trying to form a scab. It also looks like the area is chapped and dry. I just hope I'm not scar'd and it continues to heal and get better soon. I will keep you posted.

on 4/18/2015 9:07:00 PM

i followed instructions exactly as shown on the box, and this product left my skin sensitive to any type of after cream, even the "soothing" cream that came along with it. my skin isn't delicate nor strong with any hair treatments, but this left my skin with a burning sensation and bumps, it did remove hair, but never again will i buy this product. PLEASE DON'T JUST BUY THIS B/C YOU HAVE HAIR YOU WANT TO GET RID OF, NOW I HAVE TO FOCUS ON MY HORRIBLE SKIN!!!! 😰😰😿 im going to stick with waxing after i fix my skin.. 💆🙍

on 4/16/2015 10:38:00 PM

Aaaacccckkkk!!!! What have they done to my favorite hair remover ??? I have been needing to write this review for a year now, but I keep putting it off. I have bought at least 6 of the bad boxes. I kept thinking I was just getting a bad box. Nope, they have just changed the product. The old product was thick like a cream and I used it for more years than I can remember. It worked ... like a charm ... every time. The new product is a thin lotion that runs ... everywhere ... you might as well tweeze, because you are going to have to after you remove it anyway ... Thumbs Down to the "new and improved" Sally Hansen Creme Hair Remover. Looking for a replacement product to use. (P.S. I would give it negative lipsticks but it made me give it at least one :( )

on 3/23/2015 8:11:00 PM

This product has ruined my skin. About a month or two ago I used this product around my mouth/lip/chin area and had to do it twice to remove all the hair. A far as hair removal goes it is good, however immediately after using it my skin was red and inflamed. Over the course of the next week after using this my skin broke out HORRIBLY in the places i used the cream. Ever since then I have had horrible acne in these places and I cannot seem to get rid of it. I don't know if I had some sort of allergic reaction but my skin has been horrible and acne covered around my mouth and chin ever since (over a month ago) and i do not reccomend it.

on 2/11/2015 3:56:00 PM

I used this once with no problem, although I noticed it didn't really get the hair below the hairline. I have mostly peach fuzz above my lip line, but there are some coarser, dark brown hairs sprinkled in. I usually pluck those, but I really wanted to eliminate the peach fuzz as well. I noticed I had stubble and dark black "specks" where the hair just burned off at the surface of the skin, but not to the root. It looked like I had gnarly blackheads all above my lip. I did notice I didn't have any irritation, though, which was good.

Four weeks later I needed to do it again. Just as before I did not use any lotions or facial soap prior to the treatment, or after.I left it on eight minutes. Rinsed the product away. The following day I noticed a bit of puffiness and redness to the skin, despite using the soothing lotion that comes with the kit immediately afterward. The day after that the redness to the skin went away, but was replaced with about eight small, but very red and painful, bumps and the lip line of my upper lip is burned. Like the skin is crusty and stinging and obviously discolored. Five days later I am still sporting a burned upper lip and nasty pimples above it. I'm so disappointed. Oh, and my upper lip is on fire.

I'd say if you have sensitive skin like I do, don't waste the small amount of money on this product. And even if your skin isn't sensitive, this won't remove all of the hair. If you have dark, coarse upper lip hair you will have five-o'clock shadow stubble.

on 9/20/2014 11:36:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

Overall it's pretty good, but I swear every other time it works perfectly with no pain and no redness. But then the next time i do it, it's incomplete and still stubby after I put it on and remove it and my upper lip area get really red and stings a bit. I haven't tried any other creme remover but this one is decent.

on 9/18/2014 2:18:00 PM

I had to edit this. I reviewed too fast. A day later and my face seemed okay. Two days later and I am so broken out I am afraid to go in public. It is literally in a beard shape, and I know it is where I used this product. My face burns. I have tiny whiteheads in what feels like every pore. If you have oily or sensitive skin, I beg of you, don't use this even with a 24 hour test. It took three days for my face to look like this.

I feel like Freddy Kreuger. I look disgusting. It took a thick layer of MAC concealed and dabbed on foundation and lots of powder to just get my daughter dropped off at school today. I am considering buying some kind of head scarf and wearing it until my face heals... it is that bad.

If you have acne or ANY bad condition, do not use this. Your skin must be tough as nails for this product.

EDIT again: I emailed Sally Hansen via the form on their website. I am going to include photos of my face with no makeup (not pretty) and even list the medications ect. I am on to try to be of the most help to them. They sent me a questionairre to fill out and a link to pre-pay the postage and said in the email they will reimburse me in other Sally Hansen products if I'm interested. I am going to try to be as thorough as I can, and I encourage anyone who may have been like me and came to these reviews after to see if anyone else had the same issues as them to email the company and let them know if you suffered a bad reaction. The only way they can know is if we tell them, and I really hope they figure out why some people are having awful reactions to this when no other similar products have done this. I am now on day four, and my face is still sore, red, and painful to the touch. It is bumpy all over where I applied the product. Even gentle lotion hurts my face at this point before it soothes, but I have been using it after washing gently (no exfoliation) because it does help soothe it a bit after a few minutes, and my face that is normally oily is seeming to absorb the lotion extremely quickly despite the whiteheads. There are a couple cystic size bumps as well that are deep. I can only think that this may be an extreme chemical reaction and I will be going to the doctor soon if it does not clear up.

If you are determined to use this product, please do a second allergy test. I did the one they suggested in my arm and waited 24 hours. Had I done this on one strip of my face and waited two days I could have prevented this. The utmost care and precaution needs to be taken if you decide to attempt this product.

Let me start by saying that I was extremely hesitant to buy this product because of all the reviews I read on here! I went ahead and gave it a shot because I just really wanted to avoid waxing, and wow am I glad I did.

I had an awesome experience with this stuff. No burning, no redness, nothing expect for what it says it does!!
The only thing I can think of that is giving people problems is if they had used products on their face less than 2 hours before. And honestly, I didn't put anything on my face the night before I used it because I wanted to be extra careful.
Make sure you follow the directions exactly, and spot test before applying to your face!
I'm so glad I found this product, and I truly hope it will work for you as well as it worked for me!

on 6/19/2014 3:48:00 PM

I had excellent reults with this creme hair remover the first few times I used it, but my face can be bulldozer when it comes to abuse. I have a pretty hairy face (like lots of peach fuzz, everywhere), so depilitories are a part of the game for me. This stuff really cleared out the hair and worked great---the first few times.

And then one time I had a major reaction to it, red faced until morning with awful stinging. However, I know that was directly related to benzoyl peroxide I had applied not to long before ( a few hours) and despite washing my face it still reacted heavily. And two days later my skin was still senstive to treatments like salicylic acid.

Since I'm a glutton for punishment, I guess, I gave the creme one more chance last night. I made sure to not use any treatment in the previous 12 hours. I left it on for probably only five minutes because I started to feel a slight burn. Thankfully I did not get any redness, but man oh man was my face senstive to products the next day, very painful.

So now I'm done with it. Hopefully I find something much more gentle.