MAC Satin - Orb

4.4

on 3/3/2015 2:38:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

For reference, I'm pretty pale. This was not very pigmented or creamy. It was dry, applied sheerly so it really had to be built up, and the color just looked like I had put my face powder on my lids. I returned this (love MAC's return policy).

I use it every day. Just brightens up the eye and makes me look fresher. Stays all day too.

on 12/13/2014 3:40:00 PM

This color has a great undertone that helps neutralize the red/purple that some people may have on their eyelids. Since eye primers tend to sting my sensitive skin, thus needing to be avoided, I rely on this color to help create a neutral color across my lids. Works like a charm :)

on 11/1/2014 2:58:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

This is one of my oldest MAC shadows, and I used to use it often as an all over color that made all my other colors more blendable. Unfortunately, I've since found that other similar shadows (like Makeup Geek Vanilla Bean) were creamier and faster to apply so I've left off this one for a while. It's still my go-to for a cooler neutral eye since Vanilla Bean is much warmer, but I have yet to perfect the application for Orb in such a way that I don't have to go over several times.

Pros:
* good for all over wash to increase blendability of other colors placed on top
* great for a cool-toned neutral eye
* long-lasting
* fits well in many palettes (I purchased the standalone pan)

Cons:
* a bit dry
* very sheer; color pay-off is not as great as other MAC shadows

on 8/14/2014 9:50:00 PM

Use this or brule under my eyeshadow almost every day. This is peachier than brule for more warmer looks. Love it!

on 5/14/2014 11:11:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Neutral

Orb is a matte, very light beigey-vanilla color. This is my favorite to wear as a base underneath my eye shadows. Goes on very easy and smooth. Perfect for smokey eyes. I also use this to hi-light under my brows for a nice subtle clean look. I love it! Will re-purchase.
AC3.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

This is a MAC eyeshadow that grew on me quite a bit.

After I first got it I went home expecting the perfect brow bone highlight shade. Unfortunately, this shadow is quite sheer and doesn't show up very well on my NW15-20ish skin. I was disappointed and annoyed I had bought so sheer an eyeshadow so it floated to the bottom of my makeup bag not to be used or seen again for several months.

I came back to it again after while and realized that it does have some good uses! On days when I don't want to wear a bunch of different shadows I put on a little bit of my UD primer potion and some of this and it evens out my lids and makes me ooh a little more awake! I also like it for if I'm in a pinch I can use a fluffy brush and set my under eye concealer with it! It also makes a good blending shade to help transition darker shadows into my actual skin tone.

So even though it may not be a WOW color, it does have it's uses and I like it quite a bit! But I think next time I'll do some more research and get something with more pigment.

I have this in a 4 pallet with: phloof!, bronze, and satin taupe (all of which I have also reviewed!)

on 2/7/2014 10:40:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Coarse

MAC Orb is the little eyeshadow that could for me. It looks like the most boring thing in the pan, in the same vein of Brule or Blanc Type etc, but it transforms completely on the face.

Initially when the sales associate had suggested the shade I looked at her like she was nuts. All I saw was an off-white color that was sure to look stark against my NC37ish skin tone. I was in the market for a nice brightening, matte lid color. I figured something like Samoa Silk would be better but how wrong was I. Orb looks quite lovely on my skin tone and isn't the overly harsh white shadow I thought it would be (like Blanc Type which looks too obvious and ashy on my coloring). Instead, Orb brightens me just so, without the shimmer and glitz of my more metallic/sheeny brightening shades. There is a bit of a pinky undertone to the shade but enough peach in it to keep me from looking sickly like so many other pink-toned shades.

I like to wear Orb on the lid with Wedge blended into the crease and then Handwritten to further define the socket. Add winged liner with a light eye pencil in the water line and you have the perfect, everyday, Lana Del Rey or Adele-inspired eyeshadow look. Who wouldn't want to look like those babes?! I get a ton of compliments on that look and have even had a woman stop me in the street to find out what shadows I used on my eyes. If that isn't a good sign, then I don't know what is!

As you can no doubt tell, Orb is up there with some of my favorite eyeshadows and travels with me always. I can see myself repurchasing this countless times!

on 11/23/2013 7:12:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

Whilst this shadow doesn't show up on me, it's a handy one to have on hand as I use it to tone down other shadows if I've been heavy handed (and can't be bothered to start again!) or to soften any harsh lines.

Because of how I use it I'll probably buy a cheaper dupe to replace it when I hit pan.

on 9/19/2013 8:13:00 PM

This is just an OK color. It doesn't really come off as a satin IMO. It's much more matte. It barely shows up on me, it's pretty much a match for my NC15 skin. I thought this shadow looked familiar and when I checked my other shadows I discovered that it is pretty much an exact dupe of Urban Decay's Walk of Shame, so if you own that one, you don't need Orb.