Kevyn Aucoin The Sensual Skin Enhancer

4.1

Mineral Oil (Paraffinum Liquidum), Polybutene, Diethylhexyl Succinate, Polyethylene, Quaternium 18 Hectorite, Calcium Carbonate, Dextrin Palmitate, Honey, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E), Beeswax (Apis Mellifera), Butylene Glycol, Cholesterol, Lecithin, Talc, Triethylhexanoin, Methylparaben, Fragrance (parfum), May Contain ( /-): Iron Oxides (CI 77491, 77492, 77499), Mica, Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891)

This foundation is probably one of the best foundations I've tried in a while, it comes in a small pot at first I thought I'd run out super fast but a little goes a long way with this foundation,one or two pea sized amounts is enough to cover your whole face, however with this foundation it is necessary to mix with a highlighter because it can be cakey and hard to blend otherwise l apply with a damp beauty blender and the finish is gorgeous, it's high coverage glowy and flawless, I'm in the colour sxo7 and im nc25 in Mac, one of the only problems I have with this foundation is that it can start to get patchy after a long time but as long as you powder enough you should be fine

Man, I wanted to love this, and was so excited to get my samples in the mail. I'm glad I didn't buy the full size, though, because this just did not work for me. I have combo skin with large pores and dryness on the cheeks/forehead, and the occasional stray pimple to cover up but mostly clear, even skin. This ended up looking shiny and pitted in my t-zone and patchy/flaky on the rest of my face. Other makeup applied poorly overtop, too, which is a total dealbreaker for me. The only place it worked half well was as undereye concealer; this is definitely how I'll end up using up the rest of the samples.

I tried it in the following ways:

1. Mixed with Magic Lumi illuminating primer
2. Mixed with Hangover Rx primer
3. Mixed with moisturizer (embryolisse)
3. With silicone primer underneath
4. Without silicone primer underneath
5. Straight up, over moisturizer
6. Straight up, over facial oil

I also varied application methods, between a beauty blender, paddle brush, and my fingers. Nothing worked. It always sank into my pores and looked too shiny, and there wasn't as much coverage as I was expecting--as in, I had to use more product than I was told I'd have to use, making its cost-effectiveness plummet. Mixing up the correct amount of SSE and "mixer" product felt like a science experiment that often failed and that I didn't have time or patience for.

I'll give it three lippies instead of 1 or 2 because it is indeed a pretty great concealer.

Sorry, sensual skin enhancer. You've got quite the novelty factor and cult reputation, but I'll be sticking with less expensive, more readily available, less-frustrating-to-apply foundations.

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure

This product as concealer is very disappointing as it makes my under eye creases stand out sooooo much! Does anyone know how to avoid the creasing

Skin reference: N/NC15, oily/normal combo skin, some acne, post-acne hyper pigmentation, no texture problems
Colour match: SX03 and SX05

My god. Holiest of holy grails. I'm nearly weeping with how ecstatic I am with this product. Foundation or concealer, this has shot up to the boss of all HGs in just a few days. All previous foundation faves and HGs have been kicked into a dusty corner and I'm a bit of a foundation addict. Let's break this down:

Texture:
This is a very very thick cream that is extremely pigmented. As such, it is very difficult to blend straight (with fingers or brush) onto your skin. But also due to its crazy pigmentation and dense texture, you barely have to use any product, making it quite cost effective. To make this turn into magic, here a few tips: 1) Moisturize your face very well. In drier winter weather, I massage in a few drops of a dry face oil, wait a few minutes, tissue off shine, and add primer (for all my testing I'm using YSL touche eclat blur primer). This way there is plenty of slip on my face, making it much easier to spread and blend the foundation. 2) Consider mixing SSE with a bit of moisturizer. I do a ratio of roughly 3 moisturizer : 1 dab of SSE. I blend on the back of my hand then apply with damp beautyblender. Adding in moisturizer sheers out the SSE a bit and again, adds emollience and makes it much easier to blend. 3) Use fingers or damp sponge for most natural finish and make blending easier (warm fingers/dampness of sponge). Brush may drag a bit and not leave as pretty or smooth of a finish.

Coverage:
10/10. For foundation, if you mix with moisturizer you can get anywhere between sheer to medium depending on how much SSE you add in and how many layers you put on. As concealer and applying straight out of the bottle, this is like live photoshopping when it comes to blemishes. I've had no issues covering acne bumps or hyper pigmentation. Product didn't shift from acne (only faded slightly where I was rubbing my lips throughout the day). I do not have flaky skin nor any popped/scaly acne at the moment so I can't say with experience how it clings to that. I do NOT use this for undereye concealing as I feel like it's too pigmented for me.

Colour:
The hardest part about SSE in my opinion is figuring out your shade match. As far as I know, there are no stores that carry the SSE in-store in Canada. So I did a lot of research on MUA/MUB reviews (there are great color guides here), squinted at online swatches, and crossed my fingers. SX03 is a perfect match for my winter N/NC13ish skin. SX05 is great for concealing my jawline which is a bit darker than the rest of my face and I'll mix with SX03 throughout the seasons to match my skintone.

Application:
Biggest tip I can give is what everyone says - less is more. Build in thin layers so that the blending is easier and also creates a much more natural skin-like finish. I've only used fingers and damp BB and I've gotten fantastic results. Again, very moisturized and slippy skin is best! When concealing, use an almost non-existent amount. Think "accidentally lightly smudged a teeny bit of product on my finger".

Finish and Longevity:
What makes this hands down the best foundation I've ever used is how it genuinely looks like my skin from the moment I apply it to 12 hours later. Even though some oil starts to make my tzone look a bit shiny, this foundation STILL looks like skin and does not fade in patches or cake up. If I look in the mirror only 6 inches away, I see no caking anywhere, not even around the nose. Only when I squish my face against the mirror will I see a tiiiny bit of build up around sides of the nose. I am not exaggerating here - I have to really be that close to see this slight hint that I am actually wearing makeup. While I do set with translucent powder in the morning, I never do powder touch ups nor do I use a setting spray. At most I will tissue blot once around 6-7hr mark.

Final Thoughts:
This is an amazing foundation and concealer. It works wonderfully with my skin, both skin type and colour-wise. This does take longer to apply than normal foundation so if you have 5 minutes to get out the door, don't pick this. If you have a bit more time (personally it takes 15 minutes to moisturize, prime, foundation + concealer), I highly recommend this product for the most amazing perfect skin result. A+++++ for me.

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Not Sure

Im an nc40. Yellow olive undertones i bought sx08 . I feared that sx11 will be dark and wont be workable. I have Super oily skin. So i bought this because i need a skin enhancer lol. It's more widely used as a highlighter ala Kim K which im not entirely a fan of. I use this as a concealer and a skin enhancer per se. I dab it on areas that needs lifting and enhancing. Like if i wana smooth my cheeks . This is good. It's like a paint that makes your face so smooth. The only gripe is , my textured oily skin feels weird after like 3 or 4 hrs. It is summer time here and i cant blame the product alone. This is so good. I have huge respect for kevyn aucoin's products so yeah. But there's a huge learning curve when using this. Don't overpile and i suggest using a sponge for this. The warmth of the fingers will only cultivate oil production from skin to skin friction. I feel photoshopped when i wear this on and it smells like crayon wax. But as a cake-crazed foundie fan , this is good stuff. It's not for the faint of heart - i -want- a -natural - finish - kind of boy/girl. This is the Hercules of the concealers!

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

i absolutely love this product. specially i use it under my eyes. for a whole face its a bit thick. it does crease into fine lines a bit, but overall it's perfect for my very dry skin. and also it smells nice.

Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure

Best concealer ever!!!!

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

This is the real deal. You can't get much more coverage than this. I sometimes mix this with the Chantecaille bb cream and it just adds a bit of coverage but makes it more blendable/wearable. On it's own you have to use a really light hand because too much of this will absolutely look cakey. I don't like blending this with a brush; it's definitely better to use a damp Beauty Blender. If you have hyperpigmentation this is very opaque and works like a dream (I have rosacea, and it covered it well) The biggest drawback is the price point. I don't use it for daily wear for that reason. I do think it's worth the $ though.

I am so upset this product didn't work for me! I read the rave reviews and had to try it; I've had a very difficult time finding a good color match in other formulas, and have had a hard time finding a formula that looks natural, stays PUT, and doesn't upset my sensitive, dry skin. This was not it.

I tried this many different ways; mixed with primer, mixed with foundation, mixed with moisturizer, stippled onto moisturized skin with a brush, dabbed on and blended in with a beauty blender... It didn't work :( It would look fantastic when it was first applied, but no matter how I tried setting it (pressed powder, loose powder, setting sprays, primers, all sorts of layered combinations of the aforementioned...!) it wouldn't stay put and look nice for more than about an hour. It began looking blotchy and wearing off of my skin unevenly. I understood this product would take some experimentation and wouldn't necessarily be easy to work with, but even after giving it time, I could not find a way to get it to stay nice-looking on my skin for any more than an hour or so.

I gave it two lippies since it did look really nice when first applied, so I could see this working in editorial/ photoshoot type situations, and the color range goes light enough for me. SX-01 would have been perfect in winter for me, now in the middle of summer, a mix of 2/3 SX-01 and 1/3 SX-03 worked great for me. I know some people have had luck with this product, but I thought I'd throw in my two cents; I was taken in after hearing others rave about this product, so I felt it was important to share my experience so future buyers might have a more tempered expectation. I hope it does work for you!

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This is a miracle in a little jar! I have some acne scarring, redness, enlarged pores and some broken capillaries on my cheek - I need a full coverage foundation and this doesn't disappoint! Yes, it's highly concentrated and quite thick. Don't let this out you off! I dab a few spots of this on my face and blend it out with a Real Techniques stippling brush. And oh my, doll like skin! I love it!

Top Rated Kevyn Aucoin Products