January 30, 2015 | 1568 users online

Concealers - Kevyn Aucoin - The Sensual Skin Enhancer

rated 5 of 5 on 1/16/2015 12:38:00 AM More reviews by smskin

I'm in love with this product. It's got full coverage, you only need a tiny amount and it is so densely pigmented that you can cover almost anything on your face. I wear an NC30 (but could be between an NC25-NC30 in a heartbeat) and this is hands down the best concealer/foundation I have ever owned or used. Period.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/9/2015 9:40:00 AM More reviews by ginaxav

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This is one of those products where I really think you have to know what you are doing and know how to use it and be willing to learn to work it or else you're going to hate it. That said, it's hard for me to imagine anyone not liking it once they understand how to make it work for them.

I wear NC15 in Mac, 4 or 4.5 in Armani Luminous Silk, Fairly Medium in Bare Minerals, etc, and I bought this in SX 03 and it matches perfectly. It comes in an incredibly tiny jar, it's almost cream eyeshadow size but deeper. That surprised me at first but now for convenience I love it, and you will NEVER run out of product.

I've found a few ways to wear this. As a sheerer, all-over foundation to even out my skin, I take a concealer brush and nick out just a teeny bit, maybe a grain of rice at the most, and then I mix it with one pump of moisturizer with my fingers and pat it around my skin, then using a damp beauty blender to blend it all in.

For full coverage, I take the same 1/2 or so grain of rice amount and just pat directly on my face and blend it out with an Urban Decay Optical Blurring Brush.

However the way I use it most is as an concealer. I have terribly acne, but what i do with this is after priming I use the concealer brush and just pat it on the surface of the SSE, barely touching it, and that little amount of product covers up all of my horrible acne spots and hyperpigmentation. I tap the concealer brush over each spot, and then I go back with a Shiseido Foundation Brush (flat top, stiff short bristles) and buff over each spot in a circular motion. I've found this makes my skin look well enough that a lot of the time I don't even put on foundation after this.

Basically, between the portable size, the minuscule amount needed, and the insane amount of natural-looking coverage I get from this, I think I'll be rebuying it for the rest of my life and I really do encourage anyone who just isn't getting results from a traditional concealer for their acne to try this product.

ALL THAT SAID...I have a very tiny faded black tattoo on my finger (ex's initials, SIGH)...this does not cover it 100%. Better than most, but I can still see it.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/29/2014 5:05:00 PM More reviews by mrsramputi

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

One word... obsessed! my makeup artist used this product on me for my wedding and my skin looked amazing! I mean all night! so when I got back from my honeymoon I went right to Bloomingdales to purchase my makeup artist gave me a sample sx09 is my color and yes it is a yellowish undertone but the trick is u must moisture first but don't use a heavy moisturizer as that is why it causes it to crease that's what I was told so I used very little and used my concealer brush and just blend it as much as possible and then i use a setting powder but just a little and it looks great all day even after a 10 hour day at work! so make sure you use very little and work it as much as possible.... but to me it's the best concealer for heavy coverage since I have dark circles under my eyes!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 9/20/2014 2:39:00 AM More reviews by KBaylie

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is a very over-hyped product. It may be a wet concealer, but don't let that fool you. This concealer dries almost instantly and is very difficult to blend. I'm a concealer junkie, so I know I thing or two about concealers and this just doesn't cut it. On the other hand, I'm glad I'll be getting my money back for this product as it was very expensive.

rated 1 of 5 on 9/17/2014 11:05:00 PM More reviews by Yvetteski

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Terrible, over-priced, difficult to use!

I find this densely pigmented concealer is hard to blend, settles into my lines and clings to all flaky patches. At the end of the day, it seems chemically bonded to those flakes and I have to buff it off with the Clarisonic or other exfoliant before bed.

Why the raves for something that slides off the oily slicks and highlights the arid bits? I'm using it because my skin is flawed and it exacerbates all my problems! I am decidedly NOT sensual nor enhanced by this costly mistake. I hope to send it back.

One positive is the color. SX 04 has been described on line as a "yellow-orange not found in nature." Not true. It is profoundly yellow but I detected very little peachy tone as applied to my fair but olive-toned skin.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/14/2014 3:41:00 AM More reviews by DPD

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I've got the shade sx11 for my nc 43 skin. its slightly off but its fine.
The first thing I noticed was it was highly fragranced. When I checked the ingredients I couldn't believe mineral oil was the top ingredient . It is so cheap yet SSE in the UK is 38!
it s difficult to use neat even with a BB. For my face I mix it with the Elemis flash balm.
It looks quite good but it never sets.
I woundnt buy this again as its too expensive for the results, the shades are off and most importantly it broke me out!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/14/2014 12:57:00 AM More reviews by QtResh

One word: Amazing! As many reviewers have stated, a little goes a long way. The price is more than justified for this product, as it is so concentrated. Don't be fooled by the small jar, because the product is GOLD! It is best applied with a beauty blender, as the formula is very thick. This stuff covers it all, I love using the SX10, as a highlight under my eyes, on the bridge of my nose, and the center of my forehead (I don't wear foundation or concealer above or below this, since this has such high coverage). I use the SX11 as a light contour, the two colors work well together without looking too dramatic on my NC40 skin tone. SX10 is more yellow-toned while SX11 is more olive toned. I generally reserve this for special events and prefer wearing this during nights out rather than day time. It is very heavy so it needs to be blended very well to avoid looking cakey. I have used it on my clients before, and once they see this on their skin, they want to get their hands on it right away. I highly recommend this product and suggest that you take the time to find the method of application that works best on you. It does take a little time to get used to the consistency and wear of this product, but once you get a hang of it, you will be a fan forever!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/14/2014 11:15:00 AM More reviews by AshCoco

So far I am really loving this product from Kevyn Aucoin!
It certainly is an expensive luxury cosmetic but, it really is quite fantastic! I really haven't seen many cream or liquid products similar to the Skin Enhancer, it is so pigmented and has this really silky rich and creamy texture to it, it is thick but I would not classify it as cakey.

I however really can appreciate why some people would feel like this is too much for them but, it's one of those products you've gotta be patient with and play around with to figure out how to make it work for you but, that's also the beauty of it! You can really customize it, you can sheer it out with moisturizer or oil, wear it as a full coverage foundation, or use it as a concealer! My favorite way to use it is to use it is as my highlight and under eye concealer when doing highlighting and contouring similar to how Kim Kardashian wears hers, I just use one a few shades lighter than my skin tone and it brightens my skin really nicely.

The only bad thing I would say is I could see how it would crease under the eyes since it is rather thick and creamy, but a really foolproof way to avoid that is by applying a generous amount of eye cream, then go in with the product using a damp beautyblender or pat with your ring finger and then set with a loose powder... it looks gorgeous!! Works better than any concealer I've ever used and I have a real knack for being picky with under eye concealers too lol.

I know this is kind of a long review, but I really feel it's a product that deserves it and I am already considering using it for freelance work someday so with that said I think it's worth at least sampling if you can!

Best of luck & Hope this helps :)

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/23/2014 12:03:00 PM More reviews by Yasmin116

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Medium Brown, Cool Hair: Black, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

Wow! This is a serious product.
I have it in SX12, a very yellow, golden shade that matches my NC44 complexion well.
This thick concentrated super pigmented cream works in all the ways described by reviewers: as a concealer, neat foundation or sheered out with moisturiser or sunscreen.
For me, I find this works best neat, in small quantities on well moisturised skin. It works wonders as an under eye concealer to completely cover my dark circles. It also looks beautiful as a foundation, evening out my hyper pigmentation, while still looking very natural, almost imperceivable texturally.
When using this as a foundation, i find I need to add contour and highlights back into the plains of my face to prevent it from looking one dimensional.
A fabulous, very unique product.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 6/20/2014 11:11:00 AM More reviews by BarbiieXoX

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Fine Eyes: Blue

I'm surprised 70% would buy again if they ran out. You could honestly NEVER run out of this product, unless you're a makeup artist. This product would outlive you any day.
A needle point size amount mixed with moisturiser will cover your face as a medium coverage foundation. I'm not exaggerating.

This product definitely does what it says on the tin.
It is a concealer, not the flimsy types, probably the MOST pigmented, thickest concealer. It will cover ANYTHING even tattoos. It is sooo pigmented you can smell the foundation smell. Like what a $1 foundation might smell like, a waxy kind of smell, I cant really describe it.

HOWEVER

For acne, dark circles etc please take my advice or any general reasons you would use a concealer for, it is not worth putting this on your skin. Your skin is delicate, your under eyes even more so and acne prone skin etc is even more sensitive. You DO NOT want to use something this heavy duty on your delicate face. It will cover the problem thats not your worry, but most likely make it worse.

Yes you can sheer it out by mixing with a moisturiser. But whats the point?

I you should purchase this only if you DIRELY need EXTREME coverage and there is absolutely nothing else. If you have something like a scar (a scar yeaaars old that has healed its best already and the skin is 'dead' now) or a tattoo thats REALLY bothering you then you should go for it because NOTHING will cover like this, this may be the answer you've been looking for.

This does not 'enhance' your skin it creates a new one.
I am lost as to what to do with my pots.