October 21, 2014 | 1270 users online

Top/Base Coats - Wet 'n' Wild - Clear Nail Protector

• Price: $

rated 3 of 5 on 9/10/2014 4:11:00 PM More reviews by lilmissmay

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I'm not usually one to use a top coat, I change my nail color often so I've never really found a top coat necessary. How ever, a few days ago I was at my local dollar store looking at the nail polish selection, and to my surprise they carried Essie, O.P.I and Sally Hansen polishes. I was THRILLED, Essie polish for $3 is a huge deal. Right beside the selection was the wet n wild shine nail protector or whatever, and since I never use a top coat, this was good enough for me. The shine is great, but you have to basically not touch anything for at least an hour until it is completely dry or the shine goes dull. I painted my nails three hours before I went to bed, and when I woke up my nails were not shiny at all, and they had little scratches and dents. But for $1.25 who can really complain? After all, it did make my polish last with little to no chips, and that is what this product claims to do.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/5/2014 7:46:00 PM More reviews by Mbeaulieu603

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

So there's pros and cons about this product. When you first purchase this product and use it for the first time it's great! Gives a nice shiny coat probably the best shine from any top coat I've use and I had no chipping for 3 days and minimal chipping by day 5. However, the more you use this product the more it becomes a total disaster. The consistency changes completely. You start getting air bubbles, striking, it doesn't dry for hours to the point where you ruin your nails because you smudged it 3 hours after applying it thinking it was dry, it gives you bed sheet nails and turns into this super gloppy unusable product. Too bad if this product would stick to its original consistency it would be an amazing product.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/31/2014 4:16:00 PM More reviews by alisonst

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I love this nail polish. I have dry, thin nails so I almost always have a clear coat on them, whether or not I have a colour under it, so I am always on the hunt for a good clear nail polish and this is the best I have found so far. It's very affordable (I think I paid around 1$), the consistency is great, and best of all it stays on very well. I have tried clear coats from expensive brands like OPI, multiple from Sally Hansen, Essie, and Miso and none measure up to this one in terms of wear/chipping. This polish also leaves my nails feeling healthy when I take it off, which is a huge bonus, and it only takes one coat to be strong enough to last.

I would deffinitely recommend that people try this if you are looking for a reliable clear coat, and for the price you really have nothing to lost either way!

rated 2 of 5 on 5/23/2014 11:50:00 AM More reviews by PrettyPinkMocha

I also seem to be one of the few that don't like this product! While I admit the shine is great and it does seem to last long, it has caused my nails to chip and peel. I had healthy and strong nails for many years before using this product. I bought it because it was $1.50 but now I see the difference, as I usually use Revlon and Sally Hansen products. Unfortunately I won't be buying again, but I'm envious to see others don't have this issue because it is such a great price for a combination top and bottom coat.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/15/2014 9:05:00 PM More reviews by Synfonia04

AMAZING SHINE, PROTECTION, AND JUST OVERALL PRODUCT.

Its absolutely great! This is the best top coat I've used and it's only a $1! Sometimes it's on sale for $0.80 which is perfect. It keeps my polish on for a good 2 weeks. I can't ask for anything better.

Nothing beats the price and product. GREAT polish

rated 1 of 5 on 4/3/2014 3:30:00 AM More reviews by MissKayleyKay

I must be the minority but I hate this. Even the price can't make me like it. I've tried on numerous formulas and brands to make it work but no go.
Made my polish sort of goopy even when applied to dry polish. On polish applied the day before it still pulled up my color- ie turning the brush blue. Not that shiny. Does not apply smoothly and I have to really work at it. Much prefer the out the door, seiche, china glaze or revlon top coats I've used. For a similar price, NYC Greenwich village clear coat is way better for me.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/13/2014 11:24:00 PM More reviews by piratecris

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I'm surprised by how good this topcoat is. I used it one day in a pinch when I couldn't find my usual Sally Hansen topcoat and my manicure lasted way longer than usual - a full week without chipping! It's continued to give me great results....and it's dirt cheap. Win! I took one tube off because the dry time is longer than I'm used to, and I've gotten the dreaded bedprint on my nails if I use this too close to bedtime. Nothing that takes away from the quality, though. Definitely recommend!!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/26/2014 6:41:00 PM More reviews by dnelledoll

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Very Effective, hardened my soft and brittle nails. Very Cheap. And Lasted for 3 weeks :)

rated 3 of 5 on 8/23/2013 7:52:00 AM More reviews by SiteNo8

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I bought Opi for $9.00CDN and it chipped in 2 days, peeled off in big pieces within 5. (I use it on its own.) Wet n Wild cost $1.69 and it has lasted almost a week now. It isn't as high gloss as the Opi, which is preferable to me. I wish it had the wide, flat brush, but for $1.69, who cares?

rated 5 of 5 on 4/24/2013 3:56:00 PM More reviews by lolicious

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I love this stuff! I'm on my second bottle and I'll buy it forever. This product is great at giving a smooth super shiny finish. Plus, it's only $1, wow! Because it's so inexpensive I feel like I can apply a liberal amount and really get a good layer onto my nail. As far as chipping, I painted my nails on a Thursday afternoon w/ Wet'n'Wild Megalast in the shade Tropicalia ($2, which I've also reviewed) and this as the topcoat. I just barely started seeing minor chipping on Tuesday morning. That's pretty good considering I used two inexpensive products and did my own nails. I used to use OPI polishes and Sally Hansen topcoats w/ similar results, so why pay more if Wet'n'Wild is the same (or better) quality?