July 23, 2014 | 1322 users online

Fragrances - L'Artisan Fragrances - L'Eau d'Ambre

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/7/2014 3:53:00 PM More reviews by MaryEllen

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Medium Eyes: Blue

Meh. I thought this might be my ultimate amber since I love L'Artisan, but no such luck. It started out with the geranium note being very prominent, then the patchouli and amber emerged. After a couple of hours, I'm left with something smelling like a cardboard box some indeterminate perfume was stored in. No spices, no vanilla, very dry. I'm disappointed, but will try Ambre Extreme next.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/21/2012 9:05:00 PM More reviews by smootsa

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Green

a delicious sweet soft and clean amber ... and oh so sexy ;-)

rated 3 of 5 on 4/15/2011 7:15:00 AM More reviews by shaktigal

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I have bought this perfume several years ago because I instantly loved the scent, found it amazing and beautiful, but I soon realised that amber in general, is not my thing. So I gave the perfume to my mum who loves ambery scents and she considers this her favourite perfume. Sadly though, we noticed that the quality of the perfume has decreased over the past few years, its like there is something missing in the new formulations of recent, a certain richness and depth has disappeared and the scent became a somewhat flatter version of the original scent. Very sad. Has anyone else noticed this as well?

rated 4 of 5 on 2/15/2011 9:16:00 AM More reviews by greydovefeatherwing

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Dark, Cool Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I got a sample of this when I bought something else, and I have to say I like it. Someone said this is amber for people who don't like amber, and that's definitely me. This fragrance would be good to layer and anchor something lighter on top that doesn't have good staying power. This morning it was freeezing and I put a couple drops behind each ear. The perfume, which would be overpowering if oversprayed, or worn in hot weather was perfect today! It is warm and unusual in just a very small dose. I had two men smile shyly at me for no reason. Very nice!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 11/1/2010 9:33:00 AM More reviews by WentworthRoth

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Notes: amber, patchouli, vanilla and geranium.
A warm, powdery, sweet fragrance that starts with vanilla and amber. It reminds me of a fragrance a distinguished lady of a certain age would use to imbue her handkerchief with. If you smell closer you can detect the geranium base which gives the vanilla amber notes a certain twist to the better. Once you have reached the geranium stage the fragrance stays the same. After a while I found the fragrance too strong for my liking. Lasts for 5 hours and more.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/9/2010 8:20:00 AM More reviews by condesadepitimini

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Other, Fine Eyes: Green

Very light amber, cozy, smooth, easy to wear, stays close to skin.
I can see it very well in summer time (even if I do prefer wearing ambers in winter) as Eau d'Ambre is so sheer.
The amber note is straight forward from beginning to end, with rapid incursions of some flowers & patchouli.
Gorgeous vanilllic, powdery drydown (in the family fo Shalimar)
As all L'Artisans, staying power is not exceptional, to say the least.
A nice comfort scent to have, but not unforgettable.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/3/2010 12:29:00 PM More reviews by Gypsi

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Beautiful warm, soft amber scent. Love it!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/16/2010 7:12:00 PM More reviews by prettykitty1

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Other

This is an intensely powdery scent that reminds me of the perennial drugstore favorite, Chantilly, combined with the scent of old books that have crumbling, yellowed pages. Seriously, if you've ever found an old book at a library or thrift store that had a slightly musty but not unpleasant smell, that is exactly the scent of L'eau d'ambre, but with a generous sprinkle of baby powder to boot.

Being a big fan of powdery scents like Chantilly and its more expensive cousin Shalimar, I can't help but like this fragrance a lot. But if you are someone who dislikes powder notes, this one is not for you.

In short, I recommend this fragrance for those who want to smell like a grand old library--elegant, literary, and full of interesting secrets for those who wish to take the time to sit down and get to know some interesting, long-forgotten books. It's not an explicitly sexy fragrance, but it does promise the thrill of adventure and interesting conversation for those who enjoy the introspective pleasures of a night spent with some sweet-smelling tomes and intelligent friends.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/6/2009 10:03:00 AM More reviews by MizLiz211

L'Eau d'Ambre, one of the earliest L'Artisan scents still in production, isn't so much a grand perfume as a really great smell. It's as if the powdery amber accord from a 1920s classic (Shalimar) was plucked out and put in its own bottle. Since I find Shalimar gorgeous, but oppressively musky and hard to wear, this is an excellent thing. L'Eau d'Ambre is warm and enveloping, with a surprise cool geranium top note. I like it much better than the newer Ambre Extreme, which seems overly thick and syrupy in comparison. I just wish that L'Artisan would go back to its graceful, older bottle caps. The current ones are clunky and ugly and resemble nothing so much as screwtops!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 4/2/2009 1:31:00 AM More reviews by 9154mf

Is amber supposed to smell like baby powder? What about Light Amber (translation of L'eau d'ambre). I dunno... I was expecting something else completely, this just smelt like an expensive baby powder to me. Applied 4.30pm.