Burt's Bees Orange Essence Facial Cleanser

3.3

Not tested on animals
Burt's Bees is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

Vegetable Glycerin, Olive Oil, Orange Oil, Oat Flour, Lanolin, Oat Oil, Aloe (Aloe Barbadensis) Leaf Juice, Vegetable Oil, Beta-Carotene, Tocopherol (Vitamin E), Quillaja Extract, Rosemary Leaf Oil

on 8/5/2015 3:51:00 PM

I wanted to love this because of the nice scent and natural ingredients, but unfortunately it just doesn't do it for me. It doesn't lather at all, which wouldn't bother me if it worked well. It doesn't make my skin feel clean - and I'm not talking over-scrubbed or over-stripped, just simply...clean. It doesn't rinse off nicely and feels like it leaves a bit of a film.

on 2/5/2015 10:19:00 AM

I love this cleanser. After struggling with acne for several years I finally switched to gentler, natural products. Cleansers with harsh chemicals and soaps dried out my skin, making it overcompensate and produce even more oil, leading to more breakouts. This cleanser has a great consistency (like a gelée) and does not strip skin of its natural oils. It definitely cleanses, but leaves your skin feeling soft, moisturized and movable, not power-washed, dry and tight. I've learned that lathering cleansers are not so great for your skin due to the ingredients that give them their lather (sulfates) and the oil-stripping agents they contain. I know it sounds counter-intuitive, but cleansing like-with-like (oil with oil), will make your skin much happier and much more balanced. When you keep a healthy, natural balance of oils on your skin, you will see such a difference and that is exactly what this facial cleanser did for me.

The Vitamin C in this is excellent for brightening the skin as well and it smells good :)

on 1/30/2015 2:13:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

Well, here's my input on this cleanser...the best thing about it is the scent. It smells like fresh juicy oranges. And another plus is that it made my face super soft and smooth. However, this stuff does not lather at ALL. It is very mild. I would not suggest even attempting to take off makeup with it. I will use it on the days when I'm just laying around the house and my face doesn't require much deep cleaning. Probably won't purchase it again though.

on 1/18/2015 4:20:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I have used this cleanser since 2007. Although, it has changed since the original formula- it is my go to.... It does not foam- and has a gel/cream like texture. It is wonderful for dry or sensitive skin. If you have oily skin I would not suggest.... It can be used two ways. It can be applied directly to the face and then gently rub it all over and remove with a cloth. Or use about a nickel size amount in palm of hand and then add water and apply to face. Wonderful smell- I just love it!

on 8/17/2014 4:35:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

Plus points - zingy aroma great fora morning cleanse. I use this in the shower with a muslin cloth to remove. Leaves skin feeling fresh. However, not that fond of the texture which is a gel (nice) but with a funny grainy texture (not so nice). Haven't tried using this one for a full make up removal so cant comment on effectiveness on this front.

on 8/2/2014 11:29:00 AM

broke me out terribly on my chin...like 3 cystic acne in a few days

When was the last time you said, "Wow!" after you cleansed your face?

I bought this cleanser on a whim, because I generally like Burt's Bees products. The texture is somewhere between a gel and a balm. The smell is like the inside of orange peels. I quite like cleansing balms, so I like the texture and the packaging, as it's much more hygienic than scooping a balm out of a tub. I was a bit anxious that it might leave a residue, but taking it off with a warm wet washcloth (my standard method) left nothing behind.
I have quite oily skin, especially during the heat of summer. It has been freaking out recently, so I tried this cleanser to try to soothe it a bit. After washing, my skin did not feel stripped or too oily, just clean and refreshed. I followed with a small amount my normal CeraVe PM moisturizer and called it good. This would be a great morning cleanser if you're worried about it's abilities to remove makeup.
I'm quite impressed with this facial cleanser and will keep using it unless or until I find something better.

I left off one lippie on the overall rating because I've only used it once. But it so impressed me, I wanted other people to know how well it worked for me.

on 7/9/2014 5:04:00 PM

I really like this cleanser! It is a thick oily texture which I really like because my skin can dry out quite a bit. My skin looks really radiant after using it and it doesn't even feel like I need moisturiser after (even though i do moisturise)! The fact that its all natural is a bonus.

on 6/9/2014 3:53:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This is a really nice natural cleanser, without the harsh detergents found in other brands. It comes out as a thick gel that turns into a milky consistency once applied to the face. It doesn't foam, but it still cleanses the skin and removes all traces of makeup. Proves that you do not need foaming agents to clean your skin, and it doesn't dry it out! The only thing I wished they would change is the packaging to a pump bottle, because I usually always squeeze out too much product from the tube, considering this item is on the more pricey side.

on 2/26/2014 9:44:00 PM

I really enjoyed this cleanser. You have to get used to the texture, which is a weird gel that is slightly oily and smells like oranges. The only complaint I have is it doesn't spread or lather very well, so you must use a lot of product to clean your face. Despite the texture, I still love the way my skin feels after I use this, I think its a good one for winter when my skin is dry. I don't feel a film on my face after I rinse off. Will probably buy this again at some point.