November 26, 2014 | 1799 users online

Fragrances - Givenchy - Oblique Rewind

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/18/2014 10:21:00 PM More reviews by lipglossjunkee

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

So unique and lovely!!

It is sweet and cherry from the get-go...I do get a bit of cherry cough drop on first spritz, but not really in a bad way...plus, it fades fast into just a rich warm cherry. Just a faint hint of nutty pistachio warming it up and making it more interesting.

The middle notes quickly make this a cherry pipe tobacco and honey-scented fragrance on me, with this being one of the best honey notes I've found in a long time. Rich, warm, resinous, sweet honey. Jasmine sweetens up the middle notes just a bit, but the star of this middle ground is clearly the rich honey and the cashmere wood.

The complete drydown on me contains very little patchouli and is all amber and the carryover of the rich cherry/honey mix. It is a warm, gorgeous, comforting, sexy scent. This is not a skin scent--sillage is decent but not overpowering, and longevity is about 5-6 hours with one spray. This is definitely a unisex scent, but it is rich and sweet and sexy on me and I am hoarding every drop of this one.

Sadly, this gorgeous, rich, complex gem is discontinued, but I would snap up a backup in an instant if I located it at a great price.

(crosspost)

rated 4 of 5 on 11/24/2010 4:27:00 PM More reviews by cdlloyd

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Cool Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

After reading reviews about Givenchy's Oblique Rewind, I decided that I must find some of this. Eventually I was able to obtain some from a Perfumisto overseas. Goodness me, this was worth all the trouble and stress of buying something unsniffed (gasp!).
Oblique Rewind is housed in a ridiculous bottle - campy and kitschy you might say? - but it is a wonderful fragrance. I agree with the reviewer below who maintains that if Givenchy repackaged this fragrance and named it simply "Oblique", they'd have a winner for sure.

Oblique Rewind is warm, inviting and rich smelling. It is wonderful in cooler weather. The main impression I have when smelling this as it wears on my skin is 'cherry pipe tobacco'. As it dries down, the honey and woods add a beautiful softness. OR is smooth and lasts well.
I wish it had not been discontinued.

rated 1 of 5 on 9/22/2009 2:25:00 PM More reviews by debrsl

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

A scrubber on me. It was like some kind of disgusting fruit candy.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/12/2009 4:38:00 PM More reviews by tessture

Velvety and slightly boozy vanilla with layered notes. Reminds me a bit of Equistrius without the sharp edges. Both have the same 'make up' feel I like in fragrance; a powdery, lightly scented tone. Very nice, very smooth.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/26/2007 3:57:00 PM More reviews by SensualSusanna

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

This fragrance smells very expensive and when it was available it was a drugstore find. Now it's discontinued -- a fate that happens to many fragrances I adore. Oblique Rewind has a horrible name and bottle style, but is an uber-sexy, close to skin scent that lasts for hours. I love the Pistachio and the Honey -- the Cherry opening isn't so bad on my skin and disapates fast, and adds a nice soft fruit note to this very delicious smelling potion. Reminds me very much upon drydown like Escada Collection. Upon spritzing, it's reminicient to the very expensive SL Rahat Loukoum. I love it and think Givenchy should repackage this scent; give it due justice by giving it a classy name like 'Oblique' and get rid of the campy packaging -- say a beautiful oblique styled black marble like bottle -- and voila!! Givenchy would make a fortune! It's that good! continued >>

rated 4 of 5 on 10/17/2005 9:26:00 PM More reviews by purple_passion

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

my parents brought me home this scent.. i love this especially after about 10 minutes, you'll smell the yummy scent. my friends even asked me what scent im using because it really smeled good (they say)! =) i'll give it a 4 because i don't like the smell upon spraying it.. would definitely repurchase.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/17/2005 10:11:00 PM More reviews by CareerLady

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Interesting bottle! You insert a tube of fragrance into a bottle holder. Comes with two refills.
Starts out awful, like cheap cherry cough drops. I hated the first five minutes. What a stink! After 10 minutes I noticed the cherry suddenly turn to an interesting cherry-rasberry. Then the spices started to waft upward, turning into an air scent (not a skin scent). 30 minutes later I noted strong spices (along the lines of Organza Indecence) with a great cherry-wood smoke base. This is the final phase, I think - where the cherry is noticeable but it's far more woody than cherry, and the spices became predominently stronger and more "churchy."
I think this perfume is interesting, and I like the way the notes play off each other. However, I can tell it's shall we say, cheap? It has a slight alcoholey fume, just a tiny bit of that initial cough lozenge blast still there - enough so that I'll enjoy these two refills, but probably not buy it again. For spicy cherries with lots of panache, I think Luctor et Emergo or Chergui are a million times better.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/14/2005 1:28:00 PM More reviews by devil_girl

Yum! Honey and cherry pipe tobacco. Sweet but not sickeningly so. The opening does smell a bit like cherry lozenges but disappears immediately on me. I cannot stop sniffing my wrists when I wear this. Poo on Givenchy for dc-ing Rewind. :(

rated 3 of 5 on 1/3/2005 12:24:00 AM More reviews by mememeow

Immediately after application I detect nothing but the smell of cherry throat lozenges. Artificial, sharp, and sickly sweet. This thankfully fades, however, to an enchanting blend of pistachio, honey, and vanilla. Nevertheless, the "cherry lozenge" note endures and tempers my love of the dry down.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/22/2004 8:21:00 PM More reviews by lilacterp

Age: Unknown Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This was quite a discovery and a surprise for me. I bought this after seeing this compared with Escada Collection and Luctor et Emergo. It reminds me quite a lot of the other discontinued fragrance, Venezia by Laura Biagiotti. The notes of this fragrance are astonishing: pistachio, cherry, Kashmir wood, honey. It's absolutely fascinatingly composed. Rewind is a lot spicier and deeper than I thought it would be. It has an incense-like quality, like cherry-tobacco incense. It is not a sweet gourmand perfume to me, but more of a serious woody spicy scent. It truly is very intriguing and as it wafts from my wrists, it immediately transports me into Fall. This is not a summery scent, but a perfect Fall day scent, with leaves rustling underneath your feet while lukewarm rays of sunshine touch your skin and chimneys scent the air with their unmistakeable wood smoke. Very warm and pretty, with a honeyed quality. I'm not fond of the bottle, but the liquid inside is pretty nice. I love the pistachio note mixed with the cherry and honey and woods. Delightful scent from Givenchy's great line of perfumes. Too bad it's discontinued, but many good things are, so it's not surprising in the least. continued >>