September 17, 2014 | 2194 users online

Cleansers - Dermalogica - Ultra Calming Cleanser

rated 4 of 5 on 7/24/2014 4:02:00 PM More reviews by kermie70

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I thought this cleanser was nothing special when I got it as part of the calming kit from Dermalogicia. I used it and I like the consistency. I love the slight lavender smell and it doesn't burn my rosacea skin.
After three weeks I am still using it and enjoying it every morning and night. I really like it - even though I don't think it is as amazing as the other products from Dermalogica.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/21/2014 6:17:00 PM More reviews by duodetriginta

I've been a huge fan of Dermalogica for about 7 years now. Starting as a teenager, the Dermal Clay Cleanser solved all my breakout problems, and for about 3 years now the Special Cleansing gel have served me and my dry/sensitive/acne prone skin very very well. UNTIL about a few months ago when my skin started to become itchy and very dry. It became even worse and I had to put on moisturizer lots of times during the day because my skin was full of dry spots (I even use the intensive moisture balance). So when my bottle of Special Cleansing gel was empty I decided to try this Ultra Calming cleanser and the first days I felt so happy because my skin was silky smooth and not itchy and all my dry spots disappeared. BUT after about a week my cheeks, chin and forehead was covered in small bumps and my skin was really oily. Now I don't know what to do, and I feel like I'm dealing with my high school breakouts all over again... My skin have not looked like this for years. I'm so sad. I don't know, but I think this is GOODBYE DERMALOGICA.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/16/2014 6:30:00 AM More reviews by altw

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I live with this by my side! Prior to using Dermalogica I had incredibly painful red patches around my nose and mouth! My dermatologist advised I use products specifically for sensitive skin so I gave the ultracalming line a try! I would never ever try any other facial cleanser again after trying this, it's perfect! My face feels clean without feeling tight or dehydrated like with many cleansers and my rash has really calmed down and regularly isn't visible at all!

rated 4 of 5 on 1/13/2014 12:51:00 PM More reviews by jujubmxx

Have used cetaphil 2+ years but so glad I made the switch to this cleanser despite some awful reviews. Here's a short description of my skin (ignore if you want):

I have very sensitive skin which is prone to redness and enlarged/clogged pores on my nose, upper forehead (occasionally), and little irritated bumps on my jawline which aren't very noticeable (except the redness which they cause brings attention to them). My skin is dry combo so I have flaky patches but my t-zone can get very oily.

The cleanser doesn't irritate my skin AT ALL which is great. Cetaphil was nice but either left a film behind, or made my skin feel tight, but my skin feels soft after using dermalogica and not like I need to smack on some moisturizer asap or my skin is going to fall off. It has quite a strong scent which either smells very chemically or very herbal I can't really tell, but I'm assuming it's just a natural scent from the various extracts they used rather than a fragrance because of how unpleasant it is. The "natural" ingredients are probably irritating to very sensitive skin, but they don't really bother mine (only creams with those ingredients do). The product itself is sort of like a hybrid gel-cream, and you can apparently tissue it off, but I can't imagine that being a nice experience. I did notice two small pimples soon after starting to use it, but I found out it was because I stopped using my epiduo when I bought this. It's been a little over a month and I really like it so far :) might repurchase, but probably not because I'll probably want to try something new.

pros: no irritation, no tightness/film after cleansing, improves texture of skin over time
cons: PRICE $$$$$, fragrance, "natural" extracts

rated 5 of 5 on 1/5/2014 9:11:00 AM More reviews by mautan17aug

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

It saves my face with mild, sensitive ingredients.

rated 1 of 5 on 12/1/2013 8:53:00 PM More reviews by Mapril

Nope, not a fan. The price was ridiculous for a cleanser that did not work. It was like putting a quarter sized glob on my face and thinking it was going to do something. I just didn't feel like it was actually cleaning my face. Save your money and use Cerave hydrating cleanser for 1/3 of the price. Both myself and my17 year old daughter are using it with great results.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 10/14/2013 5:33:00 PM More reviews by Lizzy28

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

Recently I got a whole bunch of skincare samples allegedly being great for my dry, sensitive Rosacean skin. I also got a sample of this cleanser and after reading the ingredients list (which I always do prior to using any new product because of my sensitive Rosacean skin) I immediately tossed it. This so-called "ultra-calming" cleanser contains several potentially irritating & Rosacea-triggering fragrant plant extracts. Be careful if you have sensitive or Rosacean skin!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/14/2013 5:16:00 PM More reviews by lorena18

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I do chemical peels in my treatment room at the spa where I work; and this cleaner is the only product I use to neutralize the chemical peels. I love this cleanser. It is also the first product I use when I treat rosacea and other reactive skin. It is a lifesaver. Why I stopped using it at night on my own skin remains a mystery. I love this stuff. The salon size is pricey, and at the end of the bottle the pump doesn't reach; but the contents in the package rock!!!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/8/2013 8:15:00 AM More reviews by NikkiduP

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

My search for the perfect cleanser ends here. I have normal to dry skin, mostly dry if I'm not careful with which products I use. I have experimented with many different products to find the correct cleanser, toner, exfoliant and moisturiser that suits my skin. I also don't believe all products need to be from the same skincare line. I found all my HG products EXCEPT a good cleanser. Finding the right balance of something that cleans your face but is not stripping is difficult. Gel cleansers usually clean very well but leave my skin VERY dry! Always need to follow with tons of moisturiser! Cream cleansers can leave residue or feel oily or just doesn't clean properly!

Enter this little baby! Its consistency is somewhere between a gel and cream. It feels silky smooth and glides on the skin. Feels very luxurious and is a treat to use. It does not lather but still is very spreadable and therefore a lot of product is not needed. It cleans very well and moisturises. Great for winter and summer. Not sure how this would remove makeup on its own because I use precleanse before hand to dissolve makeup and I'm very happy with that combination.

My only criticism is the packaging. The hard plastic makes it difficult to squeeze at times but the bigger bottle (more expensive) has a pump dispenser which I think is perfect. Smaller bottle should come with one too! Despite this, I will buy again!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/2/2013 9:42:00 PM More reviews by acarthur

Not a bad product for dry and sensitive skin. It doesn't lather up, but you don't need to use very much either and my face doesn't feel tight after use. Has worked quite well on my dry, sensitive skin now we are in winter and which tends to flake and it seems to have cleared it up in less than a week. Not a product that I would use in the summer though as I think it would make my face feel oily. Would repurchase again, even though it is on the pricey side.