Dermalogica Ultra Calming Cleanser

3.9

Not tested on animals

NEW INGREDIENTS: Water (Aqua), Cetearyl Alcohol, Bisabolol, Zingiber Officinale (Ginger) Root Extract, Leuconostoc/Radish Root Ferment Filtrate, Glycerin, Avena Sativa (Oat) Kernel Extract, Cucumis Sativus (Cucumber) Fruit Extract, Butylene Glycol, Pentylene Glycol, Hydroxyphenyl Propamidobenzoic Acid, Citrus Medica Limonum (Lemon) Fruit Extract, Fumaria Officinalis Flower/Leaf/Stem Extract, Fumaric Acid, Rubus Idaeus (Raspberry) Fruit Extract, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Flower Extract, Echinacea Purpurea Extract, Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Cocamidopropyl PG-Dimonium Chloride Phosphate, Disodium Lauryl Sulfosuccinate, Cetyl Trimethyl Ammonium Chloride, Salix Alba Bark Extract, Usnea Barbata (Lichen) Extract, Glyceryl Caprylate, Tetrasodium EDTA, Panthenol, Aminomethyl Propanol (05/2011). OLD INGREDIENTS: Lavandula Angustifolia(Lavendar) Extract, Cetearyl Alcohol, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Citrus Medica Limonium (Lemon) Extract, Fumaria Officinalis Extract, Fumaric Acid, Cucumis Sativis (Cucumber) Fruit Extract, Cocamidopropyl PG-Dimonium CHloride Phosphate, Sodium Cetearyl Sulfate, Cetrimonium Bromide, Acrylkates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Butylene Glycol, AMinomethyl Propanol, Methylparaben, Propylparaben 5/20/09

on 3/3/2015 6:45:00 AM

I have suffered breakouts all my teenage years and although now it's not as bad as it used to be,I have scars and still do get regular spots and redness on my nose and cheeks. I also have combination skin,partially dry on cheeks and more oily on the t-zone. I have tried many brands before Dermalogica and nothing ever helped. I was also on antibiotics to help calm down my spots but the results were not long-lasting.

I was recommended the Dermalogica brand after a visit to a salon. I was told that I should try it out to see if it helps my skin and was given a few samples: Ultracalming Cleanser and Pre-Cleansing Gel .The samples lasted me one day (I wash and moisturize twice daily) and my skin did feel refreshed. I was skeptical about purchasing anything as I had a feeling it's just going to be another expensive brand claiming to improve your skin. I eventually gave in and purchased the Ultracalming Skin Kit. I liked the idea of purchasing small-sized bottles so I can try things out without wasting money on full-sized products. The kit contained Ultracalming Cleanser, Ultracalming Mist, Barrier Repair, Ultracalming Serum-Concentrate and a small sample of Ultracalming Eye Serum.

I used everything twice daily in the order recommended on the box the kit came in and it lasted me two weeks. After those two weeks I have to say I cannot remember the last time my skin felt and looked so good! I'm very impressed! The Ultracalming Cleanser melts off dirt and make-up very easily and leaves my skin feeling refreshed and soft. The mist doesnt make my skin feel much different but I guess it played its own part in this skin care routine. The Ultracalming Serum Concentrate was probably the main thing that improved my skin,it moisturized my skin wonderfully without making it feel greasy. And finally,the Barrier Repair gel gave my skin a nice soft finish but it was a little tricky to apply,it takes some time to evenly blend it all over the face :)

Unfortunately the full sized products are very expensive and range from 40 to 60 euro per bottle over here, so that's a big downside. But seeing how amazing my skin looks and feels I'd say its definitely worth it! It's important to remember that not all products will work for everyone, but I would definitely recommend giving this brand a chance and see how it works for you!

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

I bought this as part of a ultra-calming kit with 5 or 6 Dermalogica products that are supposed to calm the skin. This cleanser is semi thick, similar to Cetaphil. The cleanser did a pretty good job of removing my makeup, especially my eye makeup which usually lingers like raccoon eyes. There was no special smell that I can recall and honestly nothing special about this cleanser or the entire line. I will use up all the products because I hate wasting things, but won't repurchase.

on 11/6/2014 9:32:00 PM

This product is like a thicker version of Cetaphil, but with essential oils added. If you are allergic to essential oils like lavender oil, I would avoid this product like the plague.

If, however, you have the $50-odd dollars (CDN) to spend on a full-size bottle, and you do not have allergies to essential oils, feel free to try this cleanser. It won't hurt your skin, but it won't really give you massive results. I feel that I've gotten the same results as when I've used Cetaphil. For me, this product cleans without stripping and leaves my skin soft... the same as the Cetaphil did. The main difference is the cost, and it is for this reason that I won't be purchasing again.

on 7/24/2014 4:02:00 PM

I thought this cleanser was nothing special when I got it as part of the calming kit from Dermalogicia. I used it and I like the consistency. I love the slight lavender smell and it doesn't burn my rosacea skin.
After three weeks I am still using it and enjoying it every morning and night. I really like it - even though I don't think it is as amazing as the other products from Dermalogica.

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

I've been a huge fan of Dermalogica for about 7 years now. Starting as a teenager, the Dermal Clay Cleanser solved all my breakout problems, and for about 3 years now the Special Cleansing gel have served me and my dry/sensitive/acne prone skin very very well. UNTIL about a few months ago when my skin started to become itchy and very dry. It became even worse and I had to put on moisturizer lots of times during the day because my skin was full of dry spots (I even use the intensive moisture balance). So when my bottle of Special Cleansing gel was empty I decided to try this Ultra Calming cleanser and the first days I felt so happy because my skin was silky smooth and not itchy and all my dry spots disappeared. BUT after about a week my cheeks, chin and forehead was covered in small bumps and my skin was really oily. Now I don't know what to do, and I feel like I'm dealing with my high school breakouts all over again... My skin have not looked like this for years. I'm so sad. I don't know, but I think this is GOODBYE DERMALOGICA.

on 4/16/2014 6:30:00 AM

I live with this by my side! Prior to using Dermalogica I had incredibly painful red patches around my nose and mouth! My dermatologist advised I use products specifically for sensitive skin so I gave the ultracalming line a try! I would never ever try any other facial cleanser again after trying this, it's perfect! My face feels clean without feeling tight or dehydrated like with many cleansers and my rash has really calmed down and regularly isn't visible at all!

on 1/13/2014 12:51:00 PM

Have used cetaphil 2+ years but so glad I made the switch to this cleanser despite some awful reviews. Here's a short description of my skin (ignore if you want):

I have very sensitive skin which is prone to redness and enlarged/clogged pores on my nose, upper forehead (occasionally), and little irritated bumps on my jawline which aren't very noticeable (except the redness which they cause brings attention to them). My skin is dry combo so I have flaky patches but my t-zone can get very oily.

The cleanser doesn't irritate my skin AT ALL which is great. Cetaphil was nice but either left a film behind, or made my skin feel tight, but my skin feels soft after using dermalogica and not like I need to smack on some moisturizer asap or my skin is going to fall off. It has quite a strong scent which either smells very chemically or very herbal I can't really tell, but I'm assuming it's just a natural scent from the various extracts they used rather than a fragrance because of how unpleasant it is. The "natural" ingredients are probably irritating to very sensitive skin, but they don't really bother mine (only creams with those ingredients do). The product itself is sort of like a hybrid gel-cream, and you can apparently tissue it off, but I can't imagine that being a nice experience. I did notice two small pimples soon after starting to use it, but I found out it was because I stopped using my epiduo when I bought this. It's been a little over a month and I really like it so far :) might repurchase, but probably not because I'll probably want to try something new.

pros: no irritation, no tightness/film after cleansing, improves texture of skin over time
cons: PRICE $$$$$, fragrance, "natural" extracts

on 1/5/2014 9:11:00 AM

It saves my face with mild, sensitive ingredients.

on 12/1/2013 8:53:00 PM

Nope, not a fan. The price was ridiculous for a cleanser that did not work. It was like putting a quarter sized glob on my face and thinking it was going to do something. I just didn't feel like it was actually cleaning my face. Save your money and use Cerave hydrating cleanser for 1/3 of the price. Both myself and my17 year old daughter are using it with great results.

on 10/14/2013 5:33:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Recently I got a whole bunch of skincare samples allegedly being great for my dry, sensitive Rosacean skin. I also got a sample of this cleanser and after reading the ingredients list (which I always do prior to using any new product because of my sensitive Rosacean skin) I immediately tossed it. This so-called "ultra-calming" cleanser contains several potentially irritating & Rosacea-triggering fragrant plant extracts. Be careful if you have sensitive or Rosacean skin!