October 24, 2014 | 1754 users online

Makeup Brushes - Kevyn Aucoin - Super Soft Buff Powder Brush

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/18/2010 12:09:00 AM More reviews by olelala

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Okay, being a huge fan of flat top brushes, and EDM flat top brushes in general, I had to wait a little while to review this well enough. Initial verdict was "ehhh". Bristles aren't as soft and silky as the EDM ones, but after a first wash it was MUCH better. Final verdict? I really love this brush. First of all, it's frigging gorgeous. Makes my MAC brushes look like nothing! Secondly, it's got shorter bristles than the EDM flat top, which allows more coverage and buffing control. The bristles might not be as soft, but I think that's what allows it to pick up and retain loose powder much more than the EDM one - with the KA you're not losing half the powder to an unnecessary dust show.

PROS: Sooo pretty and well-made, gives light to full coverage if you want, can be used for foundation, blush or bronzer, does not shed whatsoever, does not make you lose half your product to the air as dust particles. I'd rebuy this again and again, although I do fear that KA is officially going out of business as it's been on sale everywhere.

CONS: Not as soft as EDM brushes, requires a first wash to get to the nice soft feeling, a bit of dye came out with that first wash, pretty wide head meaning you'll need another brush to buff out the nooks and crannies. Expensive normally (good thing I got mine for less than $20 on sale at HL).

rated 5 of 5 on 1/15/2010 11:52:00 AM More reviews by onessee

Fantastic makeup brush! Super soft, doesn't shed, great quality. I lucked into a great price, too ($18!), which doesn't hurt. I'm impressed with KA products thus far, and won't hesitate to try more.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/23/2007 8:56:00 PM More reviews by INDICAN

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I love this brush. This brush works great for buffing loose powder and/or for applying blush or bronzer. Super soft. Love this.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/28/2007 10:28:00 PM More reviews by raindancer

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

I LOVE this brush....I had been using an old Aveda brush for far too long when I heard about Kevyn's collection....I thought it was an odd shape for a brush but I loved his eyeshadow brush so I went ahead and ordered. I'm so glad I did. This feels like silk on my skin....it picks up blush beautifully and I can easily control where the color goes. There has been no shedding at all that I can see. LOVE this brush.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/14/2006 11:28:00 PM More reviews by labelslut

I love, love, love this buffing brush!! I buff my loose powder with this every time I apply makeup on and it works pretty well for it. Using the buffing method with this brush gives me a polished and even look without overly powdery. I love the fact that the bristles are so soft also! It does have a slight problem in shedding though. Not a lot but a couple of strands would fall loose with each use. Would I buy it again? Sure! If I was stupid enough to lose my own or just as a present for a sister/cousin/friend. This brush is a definite must buy item from KA!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/1/2006 10:46:00 AM More reviews by emywong

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I love this. This is deee softest brush known to mankind, I reckon. The Kevyn Aucoin label is pretty new in Australia, so the stand-out posters caught my eye as I was browsing through Mecca Cosmetica (the only place whch stocks it). "Super Soft Buff Powder Brush... hmmmm" tried in on the back of my hand, and then compared it to the others instore. I was a believer! At first I was hemming and hawing over the steep price tag, but the SA convinced me that the quality and softness of the bristles makes the brush expensive. She made it a point to alert me of the fact that the Stila equivalent (i.e. #21) was heaps more dearer, hence emphasizing that the KA was really value-for-money. My next excuse was that the brush was made in China. The SA rebutted, informing me that only 2 places in the world produce squirrel hair for makeup brushes - China & Germany. Squirrel hair?!? The perfect excuse not to buy a brush made out of sacrificed animals. So I thought. Ahhhh, the clever SA immediately alleviated my ethical concern for lower life forms, by proudly reporting that squirrels are "combed", not culled, for their hairs. Hmmmm... imagine combing a squirrel. How does one make a squirrel hold still for combing, I wonder. More importantly, do squirrels mind being combed? Anyway my humane spirit was short-lived, I gave in, and now am happy to report that I own a KA, squirrel-hair, super soft buff powder brush. It is the perfect partner for my Bare Escentuals Powder foundation!

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 3/18/2006 8:37:00 PM More reviews by boomgurl

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

It's great for blush and powder application. The handle is too big and bulky so they don't fit into my brush rolls. I prefer wooden ones with rounded ends.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/15/2006 9:51:00 PM More reviews by ladyshh

I got mine at beauty.com for 41 USD! Its price is 46, but they gave 10% discount and did not charge for shipping or tax, nice! I tried to find Kevyn's brushes in stores - nobody carries them. Seems like you can only get them online. Kevynaucoin.com is best because they don't add tax, like Newman Marcus.(I live in Arizona) I love this brush, it is superb quality. I just bought two more eyeshadow brushes by Kevyn. I would not recommend the set for 350 USD though. Why? The case is not the best out there plus you don't necesserily need the huge powder brush or three medium shadow brushes. My other favorites are brush #50-eyeliner-by Trish McEvoy and foundation brush by Bobbi Brown. :) Thanks for reading.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/14/2005 9:28:00 PM More reviews by magggs

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

THis is the best brush I have ever used. Based on reviews I bought the Sonia Kashuk powder brush cause I was trying to be cheap. I swapped some things for this brush and am so happy with it. It is the best for both powder and bronzer. It feels so soft and luxurious, looks pretty, and deposits the perfect amount of powder. You get what you pay.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/22/2004 11:07:00 PM More reviews by Suzy_h

Can't believe I haven't reviewed this sooner. KA are my HG brushes. I like the substantial, weighty handle. You can control the brush beautifully. It is also gorgeous -a work of art with a burgundy handle encased in lucite. Although the head is flat, the bristles are fluffy therefore it is one of the easier brushes to master for newbies. I really only use a flat head for brushes anymore (or skunk for more pigmented blushes). Love the soft feel of the bristles as well. I have washed the brush several times and it never bled dye - I wash with Johnsons Baby Wash with lotion in it. The detergent in use could be the culprit of the former reviewer... I have been using this brush for about 1 year and it is like new :) Love it.