October 2, 2014 | 1494 users online

Lips - Three Custom Color Specialists - Custom Blended Lipstick

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/3/2010 10:25:00 PM More reviews by skwpt

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

One of my all-time favorite lipsticks (Prescriptives Rosemarine) had been discontinued for many years, probably before 3CC was doing business. I had long given up trying to duplicate it until last summer, when I checked the 3CC web site to see if it was in their 'recipe' file. It was! I couldn't believe it. Some blessed MUAer had saved her stub and sent it in. I placed my order, and the two lipsticks arrived within 3 weeks. I had nothing to compare it to, but the color and formulation (a matte) were exactly as I remembered, and when I applied the lipstick over Px Aubergine lip pencil, I swooned a little. I had achieved that cool cinnamon look that used to get me compliments back in the early 90s. So happy!

This time I'll be smarter and hang onto the last bits of something I love, because I won't hesitate to have 3CC duplicate it. And it looks like I might be having Aubergine done soon. :)

rated 5 of 5 on 4/24/2010 4:25:00 PM More reviews by raami

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Recently purchased a discontinued Bobbi Brown (toasted pink): I didn't send in a swatch, but chose to use what 3C had in their archives. I was very happy with the resulting lipstick. I also ordered a Shiseido lipstick (that must have been discontinued when I was in highschool-the eighties!) and got another good match. The consistancy of both lipsticks was matte-creamy, like their originals, so I am a happy camper. I only downgraded the packaging because both colours are in identical tubes that are unlabelled (easy enough to do on my own, though). Overall, a great idea executed very well.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/14/2010 7:23:00 PM More reviews by mesilla

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

So, after searching for years, I had finally found the perfect mauvey-brown lipstick from Sephora. And of course, by the time I realized how truly fabulous it was, it had been discontinued! Anyway, after spending too much money trying to find a suitable replacement, I decided to give 3CC a try - and it really was worth the money. I mailed off what was left of my last tube along with a check, and I received my custom blended color a few weeks later. It looked great in the tube, but the amazing thing was, how well it did in the "side-by-side" test - I covered half my mouth in my old lipstick (they return it to you), and half in the new 3CC color - and I couldn't tell the difference!!!

I really was afraid I was going to be disappointed in this, and I'm so glad I gave it a try. I have a lot of pink undertones in my skin, so trying to find a mauve-brown rather than a mauve-pink has been a huge hassle. I really do think this was worth it once I considered how much I was spending on all those "almost right" lipsticks.

I do agree with another reviewer that the bullet feels a little bit loose in the tube, but that's my only complaint.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/25/2008 2:22:00 AM More reviews by AimGunn

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

*Original review:

It cost $61.50 to receive 2 custom-made lipsticks.

4 weeks after the check had been cashed and no lipsticks received nor any contact from the company, I contacted them to inquire as to when I may expect the package. They replied that it was on its way to me.

Several days later I received the lipsticks. When I viewed the lipstick I was surprised at how dark it was. It was a blackened chestnut-mauve blend. And it was opaque.

The actual shade that I wanted was a mix of taupe and mauve. It was sheer. It changed from one color to the other depending on the angle. I wanted a similar color with no glitter.

Now I realize that there may be a color difference if you choose a glittery shade to be made into a matte shade, but it was too much of a difference. If it was not possible, or if there was any problem, the company could have contacted me.

I believe that the person who did it chose a pre-made lipstick thinking that the color was close enough, then labeled it with the name of the product that I wanted copied. Voilà! Custom Blend.

It was too much money and time for a product that was not a copy of the color that I had given to them.

*Update:

I read from a reviewer below that the company reformulated her l/s when she wasn't happy with the 1st copy . I contacted 3CC to inquire if they could do the same for me. 3CC replied that if I sent the lipsticks back they would adjust the color, then if I wasn’t happy with the adjusted version that I could send the lipsticks back for a refund.
I received the adjusted lipcolor 3 weeks after confirmed delivery to the company. The 2nd try was sheerer and the color was lightened, but the mauve disappeared. This version was simply a softened chestnut. I decided to send them back for a refund.

Summary:

3CC failed to create the custom color I requested,
but I was given a refund after two tries (minus the shipping fees I spent which after 3x totaled ~ $12.)

10 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/16/2006 11:03:00 AM More reviews by scontess

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I love this lipstick called love bug. I got it from japan. I sent it to TCCS and in three weeks I got the same shade ,I liked their formula even better. :)

rated 4 of 5 on 2/23/2006 8:01:00 AM More reviews by seeed

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I was looking for this kind of service for ages until I heard about Three Custom. I sent them an old, almost empty tube of my beloved Margaret Astor lipstick and had to wait for about a month to see the result of their custom blending. Normally it takes about three weeks, but since I live in Europe shipping took quite a while as well.
The handmade lipsticks come in a sleek grey metal tube, but as said below, the lipstick isn't fixed that properly in the tube, so one has to be a bit careful when applying it. But all in all, the packaging is great when handeled with a bit of care.
The colour itself is very very close to the original, maybe a tad more mauvey; in fact, I cannot really say whether I don't like the lippies by Three custom even better than the original. Especcially since they don't smell of anything; my old lipstick always smelled kind of annoying to me.
All in all, great service, great product and I love the fact that I have my very own personal product in their files now. It's not cheap, but hey, it's handmade and the most limited edition!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/3/2005 8:18:00 PM More reviews by KristinNY

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Since my HG lipstick was discontinued several years ago (Prescriptives Burnt Sugar), I have spent countless dollars trying to get the same look, often buying misguided colors that ended up in the trash. I've also worn many other gorgeous lipsticks and glosses in the meantime, but that lipstick was magic on me in a way nothing else ever has been -- not my lips but better but one notch up from that. The perfect subtle red. Sadly, I tossed the stub before I went to buy a replacement and learned that it had been discontinued, so I don't have a sample. Prescriptives has a custom lipstick blend service, and I had a lot of fun with them at NY Saks, but, surprisingly, they don't have records of their own discontinued lipsticks, and I ended up with something not at all like the old Burnt Sugar, though I like it. (It's much more... aggressively lipsticky. I think of it as "Scully," and do wear it upon occasion.)

Finally, now more than five years later, I kind of hopelessly emailed three custom to ask if they had Burnt Sugar in their "archives." I was really surprised when they said they did. It was expensive, but the two lipsticks I got are exactly as I remember the color (and as it appears in old pictures of me), and it looks and feels as fabulous as it always did. (I'm relieved that it wasn't all just some fantasy!). It will, in the end, save me money because I can stop the hunt for a match. Thank God for three custom.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/12/2005 10:22:00 AM More reviews by CaliBello

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Stila Fiona is my holy grail lip color but it dries out my lips. I sent it to 3 Custom Color and asked them to duplicate the color in a more moisturizing formula. It took almost 3 weeks but was very successful. I now have two tubes of my favorite lip color in a very creamy formula. I don't mind the look of the plain black tube but the quality of it sucks. The lipstick seems to not be secured in the tube. If I twist it up too much it becomes loose and wobbles around. I hope they will improve this but otherwise I am very happy and will re-order my custom lipstick when needed. Still gets 5 lippies though-just because custom blended lipstick is so cool!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/30/2005 4:44:00 PM More reviews by Elizabeth99

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

The color and consistency match of my discontinued i nuovi lipstick (crypto) is phenomenal. I ordered four tubes at once, for $87, including shipping. The order took longer than I expected, and I received no communication (e.g., no confirmation e-mail) in the process, but once I received the order I was completely satisfied. The specialist even had included - at my request - some names of their ready to wear shades that might be comparable to my custom blend. The only downside is the packaging. Everyone has their own aesthetic preferences so I realize that is subjective. But it's not even a very good quality (and klunky looking) tube. When I apply the lipstick directly from the tube (no brush), then the product gets all smushed against the back of the tube. Still, I'd definitely do it again - very worth the price!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/21/2003 11:44:00 PM More reviews by PeggyA

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

I have had wonderful experiences twice with Three Custom Color Specialist making me a custom blended lipstick. The first lipstick I had done was from a different brand - I love the color but the staying power was lousy so I asked for a more long lasting version of the exact same color. They did a perfect match and I am super happy. The second one was a lipstick that had been discontinued - again I loved the shade and did not want to lose out on this color. I had the exact same experience. My only regret is that the second lipstick had a wonderful cocoa-raspberry scent and Three Custom Color does not add scents to their lipsticks. I think that is a good thing for the most part but I really miss that wonderful cocoa-raspberry scent. All in all I will not hesitate to ever send them a lipstick to duplicate - they are fast and I think they produce excellent products. I highly recommend them for this service. Plus I am thrilled that I can get more copies of my custom blended lipsticks at any time. Hooray for a company that never discontinues a color as well.