December 22, 2014 | 1810 users online

Mascara - Kevyn Aucoin - Volumizing Mascara

rated 5 of 5 on 11/18/2014 4:23:00 AM More reviews by Claire2612

I have found my HG mascara!! Ok, so I haven't used any other tubing mascara, this is my first but I don't think I need to look any further because this IS the only mascara that doesn't smudge on my eyes! This has been truly lifechanging, prior to this mascara I would only wear mascara on special occasions, or going out - but only in the evening - because my mascara would always - within the hour - be on my lower lash line, giving me panda eyes.
This mascara does not do that - and I have tried MANY mascaras.
It applies quite wet but dries quickly so as other reviewers have mentioned it is hard to build. I am okay with that because to me this is better than no mascara, which I have had to put up with for years.
Additionally this mascara comes off really easily with cleanser and water or a makeup wipe. It doesn't leave any residue so you won't wake up with mascara around your eyes...I cannot rave enough about this product!
Perhaps one day I will venture out and try another tubing mascara but for now this is the love of my life.
Oh and I only gave the packing 3 lipsticks because I have noticed it dries a bit around the opening - more so than other mascaras I have used...but it hasn't seemed to have affected the product - but it was just something I noticed about the packaging.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/2/2014 10:42:00 AM More reviews by Lyrics

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm Hair: Brown, Kinky, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is for The Volume Mascara - the tube mascara.

This was the first tube mascara I've ever used. I didn't even know these existed until I accidentally bought this mascara and researched more into it because I wanted to find reviews.

Tube mascaras have a reputation of not smudging and staying put even through tears and sweat. They are meant to to stay on all day and, to take them off, you just need a little bit of warm water to rub your eyes with. That way it simply rubs off and you can see the little 'tubes' in the sink.

I made sure I use this for at least a month before I review, and it's been two months now. I really like this mascara, because it's the first mascara I've used that hasn't smudged by the end of the day. I don't have any funny flakes and no panda eyes. When I wash my face in the evening, I still don't have panda eyes, which means that I don't have to go over my eyes with eye makeup remover. Whatever I wash my face with is absolutely fine. That's quite a change from previous mascaras.
I also cried in this mascara (as one does), and there were no tell tale signs either (aside of slightly reddened eyes).

I've read that these types of mascaras aren't really good for building up, and I kind of agree there. You're not going to have the false lash effect with this mascara (even though it says "volume mascara" on the packaging). But you can build it up to two coats if you work quickly.

It's great for every day, but for a night out, I'd go back to my smudging volume mascaras for full effect. It's dark anyway.... no one will see my panda eyes..... cos they drunk anyway.... ;-).

rated 3 of 5 on 9/11/2014 4:56:00 AM More reviews by CarmelaM

Disappoint. Heard soo many good reviews but to me, it's just an average mascara. It clumps and looks pretty fake and doesn't even lengthen that much !

rated 4 of 5 on 7/21/2014 11:07:00 AM More reviews by Damroka

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

If I ran out, I MIGHT buy it again. Still on the fence. Been using this a few weeks. "Tubing" technology is a new one for me. What a concept. In case you've never tried it, it looks more or less like regular mascara when you put it onówet black goop, but it comes off like bits of latex paint.

PROS:
- natural look if using one coat
- removal is a breeze (it just rolls up and off)
- very gentle on the eyes & surrounding skin
- nice lash separation (but only with one coat)
- no smudging or flaking or transfer

CONS:
- expensive
- one coat limit
- extremely BLACK (though some might like this)

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 12/3/2013 5:01:00 PM More reviews by LUVrascal

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I'm not a fan. My lashes are longish, straight with blond tips, and I usually go for dramatic, volumizing mascaras. I've tried a tubing mascara before (by Blinc) and I liked it, especially for no fuss makeup days. But removal is always an issue for me because if I wear eyeshadow or liner I need to use a makeup remover, but then it makes my lashes a mess and makes it more difficult to remove the tubes with warm water. So I was using tons of warm water to remove the mascara then having to kind of pat my makeup-ed face dry and use a remover (on a cotton pad) for the rest of my eye makeup, then my usual cleanser. Not a very streamlined way to do things and I don't even wear heavy makeup. But I love the KA products I own and have wanted to try this for years.

I like the super skinny wand and the slim metal packaging. It's long wearing (once it dries) and won't smudge or transfer, and it holds a curl all day long. Love that about it. But it clumps right off the bat so that I end up having to use a lash comb while it's wet, and even then it still clumps together. It also makes my lashes look crispy and stiff. It doesn't add noticeable volume but it did add some length and a nice deep color. No fragrance or irritation.

I really hated the way it made my lashes look and feel and the work involved with applying and combing out and the extra steps for removal.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/25/2013 4:26:00 PM More reviews by gussersmom

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This mascara is spendy, but after wearing it for a little while, I am converted. It doesn't smudge or flake! The no smudge deal is HUGE because it's hot and drug store brands give me the raccoon effect when my lashes come in contact with eye cream and sunscreen. The other reviewers are right. It is not as good at building lashes, but it does curl them and the no flake/smudge properties are big selling points for me. The packaging is great, too. I am not sure of the environmental benefits of metal vs. plastic. But it seems like its metal container would return to the earth much sooner than those giant tubes of plastic. Would that it were so that the tube was made from recycled metals.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/8/2013 1:27:00 AM More reviews by nametaken

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I got this mascara in a Kevyn Aucoin set from Nordstrom. It came with the Volume Mascara, Lash curler, Brow pencil, Eyeliner and a eye shadow. I really thought I was going to love the mascara and I keep trying it but it is a big disappointment.

What I do love about it is that it does not smear at all. No black-eye look. But the trade off is super flake city!! I find flakes all over my eye lids, under my eyes, on my glasses. Horrible!

The package is beautiful. Slim and sleek. I love KA packaging. But I find the mascara tube does not remove much mascara when the wand is pulled out and I have to wipe massive amounts off on the open end of the tube or else it is just a gigantic gloppy mess on my lashes. I have been using my Tweezerman lash comb to comb out clumps and this might be what is causing the flakes.

I would love to find a mascara that does not smudge, but also does not flake. I would not buy this mascara again. Too expensive for a mascara that flakes as badly as this one.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/3/2013 12:19:00 PM More reviews by beautycouture

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I like tubing technology and this mascara is pretty good. I personally like really dramatic volumized lashes and although this is volumizing, I feel it gives more of a natural look compared with the trish mcevoy volumizing mascara.
Pros:
doesn't smudge
doesn't flake
lasts all day
holds the curl of the lashes

Cons:
more of a natural look (could be a pro for some)
high price point

rated 2 of 5 on 5/31/2012 3:51:00 PM More reviews by carleen

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I totally agree about the formula being different. I ordered 3 tubes thinking they would last quite a while and they all ended drying out in less that a month and as previous reviewers have noted the brush and tube don't align properly. They also aren't as substantial as they were. great disappointment.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/16/2012 11:55:00 AM More reviews by Flickerini

ah I am soooo disappointed! I was hoping to love this product - saw some really rave reviews and decided to splash out. But it is definitely not living up to expectations considering the price (£20.00). The colour is fine - I can't criticise that; a good intense black - but the consistency is quite wet and clumps my lashes, which are quite long and thick, into points, giving a thick spider leg effect instead of a full-lashed look. Perhaps it does not do this on shorter / finer lashes? I have to work hard with a comb through brush after applying to get the lashes unclumped again. I wouldn't say it adds much length or volume either. the other downside is that when you remove it, you get little flakes of black all over your face! It ends up being quite a messy job and a bit time-consuming. The packaging is quite nice - a slim, dark red tube that looks very elegant in the makeup bag. However, overall, I'm unimpressed, and would not buy it again. I'm sticking with my HG to date - Stila Major Major Lash Mascara.