April 18, 2014 | 1993 users online

Hair Color - Clairol - Ultress Hair Color

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/15/2008 8:51:00 PM More reviews by abcx123

Ultress is called L'Image here in Canada. This product advertises itself to have a "high intensity colourshine" formula. Okay, so my hair isn't as shiny as pictured on the box, but who would believe that anything can make your hair THAT shiny and reflective? My hair is as shiny as I've ever seen it, and thats saying a lot because I bought Soft Black to dye it back to my natural Asian hair colour. Most black dyes give you a matte, dull colour-like the Garnier Nutrisse one I've previously tried.

Because I bought the black colour, I knew it would turn out a dark, inky black, so I did a strand test and only left the dye on for around 13 minutes-less than the suggested 25. However, my hair still turned out jet black. I shampooed twice right after to try and make the colour lighter to no avail. I regret that because I think it might have contributed to faster fading. I got many compliments on the jet black colour and I grew to love it. However, the jet black faded within a month and now my hair just looks natural black-the ends are brownish, from my previous dye job (remember though, the colour might've lasted longer if I didn't shampoo right after). It's still better than the lasting power of the Garnier Nutrisse Blue Black dye-that one faded within a month-not to a natural black, but to my previous orangy-brown shade.

Included in a generous amount of condition that made my hair really soft. It's supposed to last around 6 weeks if used once weekly, but I find that it lasts months for my hair, which somewhere between shoulder and boob length.

Overall, this dye was impressive, though I wish the colour lasted longer. However, most black dyes don't last very long anyways. I accidentally stained my bathroom counter and doorknob, though, so be careful!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/23/2007 12:12:00 AM More reviews by faith2006

love this in the ultra light ash blonde. very nice light color.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/17/2006 9:22:00 AM More reviews by KatherineLesley

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I've been getting my natural level 8N hair (medium blonde) darkened to a level 2.5NG (Darkest Brown) for almost a year but could no longer afford the constant fillers and touchups necessary to keep it looking good so I decided to lighten my own hair at home. As I haven't coloured my own hair since high school I was a little wary but after using the colour selector on the Clairol website and being told that Ultress 5N would leave my hair a medium brown I decided to go with that one. While it didn't lift my colour as much as promised it didn't leave me with orange tones either but rather with a very nice level 4.5 (approximately) colour.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/26/2006 1:22:00 PM More reviews by Susie31

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Grey

BEST HAIR DYE EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!! until they changed the formula years ago and they have that pink stripe on the box that says new colour extend formula.. hate those!!! those dont work.... but u can still find old boxes lingering here and there... on clearance or on ebay.those are the BEST ive used every color, literally...from lightest blonde to black. to every medium blonde,red,brown in between... from ash to gold.......... hair always was shiny and healthy after use............ best color.
UPDATE: !!! anyone contact me I have found a few of the old boxes without the pink stripe on them... many shades.... just ask me.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/15/2006 4:08:00 PM More reviews by sardonic_girl

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This was one of the only colors to truly damage my hair. A few years ago I tried this line and it broke my hair off in many places. Lost about 30 percent. Maybe it was a bad batch, but geez. Anyone know if this line has a high ammonia content or something? Is it designed for extra lift or something (lightening)?

It was an auburn shade I used...not sure why it did what it did.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/5/2005 5:22:00 PM More reviews by LovelyBrunette

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I LOVE this hair dye. I used this in Dark Brown. My color is still as vibrant as the first day I dyed it and that was over 2 months ago! Unfortunately, Clairol is discontinuing this. I'm so upset! I guess I'll have to purchase this online when I can't find it in stores.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/18/2005 5:35:00 PM More reviews by normajeane73

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I was using this hair color a few months back in light golden brown. It wasn't as drippy as Revlon Colorsilk, and the conditioner was ok. The color turned out fine, but it was darker than what was on the box. The shine was alright, and it left my hair in good condition. Actually felt a bit dry as I was washing it out, but the conditioner fixed it. I now use L'Oreal Excellence which is fabulous and leaves my hair whisper soft and not damaged, but I may still purchase this in the future if if they have new colors.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/26/2005 4:47:00 AM More reviews by bunnyhole

I got this on sale in Burgundy. I have naturally black hair with fading bits of dyed red and bleached highlights, so the hair color covered most of it within exception of some red that I may have missed. The color didn't appear all that well as compared to something I previously used by Clairol, but the hair dye/conditioner made my hair really soft and silky! It feels incredible. The burgundy looks more like a wash in my hair; I can see a slight purple tint to my hair. I would buy this again if I ever had to revert back all-over black hair (natural) rather than a different hair color.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/28/2005 8:36:00 PM More reviews by All_That

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is called "L'Image" in Canada, and it is the absolute best I have ever bought in the drugstore. I cannot believe Feria is so more popular- the results I got with this product is a lot closer to what's on the Feria box than I ever had. The colour shined, lasted and just looked like a professional, salon colour. I hope P&G does not discontinue this.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/15/2005 6:11:00 PM More reviews by valeriein

Age: Unknown Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

This is one of the better hair dyes and it's so cheap too. I use the burgundy and although it does fade after a month, the red is bearable. This does not damage your hair at all, in fact, it actually feels better afterwards.