Calvin Klein Eternity for Women

3.1

on 3/31/2015 5:38:00 PM

This rating is ONLY for pre-reformulation Eternity, as manufactured by Calvin Klein Cosmetics (not Unilever, or--most recently-- Coty Prestige). Somehow, this lovely carnation-lily-rose fragrance has lost a lot in translation over the years. The current iteration manages to be both less concentrated and more harsh, soapy, and "screechy." Unbearable, metallic, and wrong.

I wore Eternity back in the early '90s as one of my two "adult" fragrances, along with Estee Lauder Knowing. (I was first out of college and realized that patchouli oil no longer fit my image :)) I adored it then, and, once I realized I needed to find vintage bottles on eBay, I adore it now.

You definitely need to apply Eternity with restraint; one or two squirts is plenty for all-day sillage. I tend to spray at chest level or below, otherwise this scent can induce headaches. But when applied correctly, it is one of my very favorite classic florals. Cool, green, watery freesia and lily are evident at first sniff, followed by a spicy carnation heart and a hint of tea rose. The sandalwood and sage at the base keep this modern, not in the least stuffy or Victorian. The overall effect is very clean and intensely feminine. The sexiness of Eternity is that it's more than a freshly-scrubbed scent, though that's the first impression; it's a lush and emphatic floral that leaves the sniffer wanting to know more... about it, and about you.

Big thumbs up!

on 3/12/2015 9:31:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Love this! Fresh, light, clean, crisp, airy, beachy-yet-earthy, slightly sweet, feminine, uplifting, freeing. The fragrance soars. Launched in 1988, it was voted into the Fragrance Foundation's Hall of Fame in 2003 -- it's one of the great classic perfumes that have stood the test of time.

The scent is chic, simple, casual, fresh, and clean. In my humble opinion, it's very signature-worthy -- it can be worn any time, any season, anywhere, by any age or gender. In spite of its longevity, the fragrance is still modern.

Clean & crisp at first spritz, once it starts mixing with the natural oils of your skin, the drydown becomes soft & subtle, slightly sweetened and delectable -- yet not even like you're wearing perfume -- it just smells shower-fresh.

The creator is Sophia Grojsman, famous for many big hits and Hall of Fame winners -- White Linen (my 80's signature and husband's all-time favorite perfume on me), Tresor, Paris, Calyx, Bvlgari Pour Femme, and so many more.

Eternity EDP is strong and lasts incredibly well. I spray just *one spritz* on my left wrist, dab it on my right wrist, then dab both wrists on neck, then forearms -- and it creates a soft, sweet, clean cloud around me for several hours. Hardly even smells like perfume at all, more like a simple aura of freshness -- almost like a lotion scent. At today's etailer prices, one bottle lasts a long time and is a good value.

Spring weather is coming, and I just broke mine out -- I like to wear Eternity EDP when the sun is shining and the weather is warm. It's a casual, relaxing scent -- like opening the windows to a breath of fresh air. I definitely get a sea breeze feeling from it. After I've worn Eternity for several days or weeks in a row, most other perfumes strike me as being too multi-noted and complicated (almost stressful) in comparison to Eternity.

Here are the notes, per parfumo.net:

Top Notes - Freesia, Mandarin, Sage, Green notes, Lemon blossom
Heart Notes - Lily-of-the-valley, Pot marigold, White lily, Rose, Narcissus, Carnation, Violet, Jasmine
Base Notes - Amber, Patchouli, Sandalwood, Musk, Heliotrope

To me, the original 1988 ads are accurate -- it smells just like those black-and-white ads with model Christy Turlington and her photo-"family" on the beach. They capture the romance, the purity, the minimalism, the simplicity, and the naturalness of Eternity. Love it!

ADDENDUM 3/18/15: Part of Eternity's appeal for me, I'm sure, is that my late mother wore it. However, I didn't fully realize it at the time. I never thought of her as a regular perfume wearer, but smelling Eternity now, it's very recognizable as her own subtle clean personal scent. It takes me back.

on 3/9/2015 10:35:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I don't know why I ever stopped wearing this perfume. This was my signature scent in the 90s...like many others. I remember going to Macy's and purchasing a gift set and just falling in love with the scent. My body chemistry mixes very well with it....and it's not normally the type of scent I wear...but this just works for me. Very long staying power too....and doesn't give me a headache like a lot of other scents these days.

Very classy, and Iove the bottle too..very typical Calvin Klein, minimalistic and elegant.

on 1/30/2015 2:27:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

When I was a child in the 90s, women all smelled like this--towering authority figures in denim vests with stiff 90s pixies cuts a la Enya and Patty from My So-Called Life. If you were to go in any elementary school classroom in 1995, it would likely smell of Eternity. It instilled a kind of fear and respect in me even as it made me sick. It was fascinating and I miss women having this kind of presence; 2015 is all drab Soviet seriousness and scentless sourness and strident politics. Everyone has a castrated academic boyfriend/husband that prefers "the natural look" and hates perfume. If I smell perfume on a woman it's such a rare treat that no matter what it is, I love her. I love any woman wearing any fragrance that I can actually smell--that's how starved for it I am in liberal dystopian Austin.

Just thinking of Eternity makes my stomach drop. It's a sour green floral with a huge heap of cloves and a pre-calone aquatic overlay. If women at that time were not wearing this, they were wearing one of the other Grojsman blockbusters that had the same signature stomach-drop shock value. Here's a great quote about my idol, Camille Paglia, and Eternity from someone named Marnieworld on a forum that has nothing to do with perfume:

"My favorite Paglia memory has nothing to do with her teaching though. I have always had allergies and a bad sense of smell because of it. I mistakenly spilled a bit of perfume on my typing paper and handed in a paper to her right before Christmas break. When we returned I received my paper in a plastic bag. She said that she had to isolate all of the papers on her porch until she could determine which was the offending paper and it took her a few weeks to pinpoint me as the culprit. In addition to the comments about the writing she told me not to use so much perfume and compared me to Belle Watling of Gone With the Wind. Some students in another class that didn't like her, organized themselves to all wearing that perfume(Calvin Klein's Eternity) one cold day and it drove her absolutely insane. Not a far trip of course!"

on 8/14/2014 5:56:00 PM

This is my "signature scent"
I have worn it for many years, i buy new perfumes to swap it up a bit, but always have a bottle of Eternity. I just LOVE it!! Plus wherever i go, whenever i am wearing it i always get told my perfume smells nice and asked what perfume i wear. I even have friends that think of me straight away whenever they smell this perfume elsewhere :) It's a beautiful classic smell suitable for every day use as well as evenings out and has dropped so much in price since i first started wearing it, which is awesome!!

on 2/5/2014 5:54:00 PM

Not my kind of scent. Much too peppery. This is strong and very unappealing to me. After I sprayed this on at the store, the sales lady that was helping me said she was getting a headache from it. It didn't do that to me, but the sales lady handed me a wet wipe and asked me to wipe it off. How funny that a sales person can't even stand one of her perfumes!

on 1/1/2014 10:58:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Obsessed with this perfume! A very delicate yet long lasting scent. Bought 2 bottles of it.!

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Kinky, Medium

It's one of my favorites. Great packaging, a nice clean, light scent, and a great price, particularly when bought as a set (along with scented lotion and a mini travel bottle). I recommend this product highly, and it's in my rotation.

on 10/12/2013 10:36:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

I love the way Eternity smells on two of my female friends, so I thought I would invest in a small bottle for myself. Even though I think it smells better on my friends, I actually find this to be a pleasant fragrance- as long as I don't over apply it! It does have a clean, floral, powdery scent that reminds me a little bit of Estee Lauder's White Linen. Not exactly the same as White Linen, but I would say it's in the same family. On me, I prefer the latter over Eternity... but I still think Eternity is a pretty, feminine, fragrance that I might repurchase it if I ever use up my little bottle.

EDIT 10-20-13: Actually, the more I wear this, the more I like it. I love the smell of it on my clothes after I have worn them with this fragrance on my skin. But I'm thinking this reminds me of a fragrance called "Windsong" that was from the 50's, I believe.

on 8/30/2013 5:02:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Kinky, Fine

Top Notes: Freesia, Mandarin, Sage. Mid Notes: Lily of the Valley, White Lily, Marigold, Narcisse. Base Notes: Sandalwood, Patchouli, Amber
I tried this back when it first came out in 1988 and thought it was "just OK" and never purchased a bottle. Fast forward to now and I picked up a tester recently and sprayed some on my wrist. I was hooked. I can't believe I have missed out on this scent for all these years LOL. I love it!!! I bought a full size bottle and have not regretted it one single bit. This is a clean, soapy, floral that I think can be worn any time, any place, without offending anybody. It has quite good projection and longevity. I haven't had an HG for many years, but I dare say, this could be it. It just really suits my fragrance taste at the moment. I will continue to wear Eternity for who knows how long.... perhaps an Eternity!

Popular Fragrances