Calvin Klein Eternity for Women

3.0

on 1/30/2015 2:27:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

When I was a child in the 90s, women all smelled like this--towering authority figures in denim vests with stiff 90s pixies cuts a la Enya and Patty from My So-Called Life. If you were to go in any elementary school classroom in 1995, it would likely smell of Eternity. It instilled a kind of fear and respect in me even as it made me sick. It was fascinating and I miss women having this kind of presence; 2015 is all drab Soviet seriousness and scentless sourness and strident politics. Everyone has a castrated academic boyfriend/husband that prefers "the natural look" and hates perfume. If I smell perfume on a woman it's such a rare treat that no matter what it is, I love her. I love any woman wearing any fragrance that I can actually smell--that's how starved for it I am in liberal dystopian Austin.

Just thinking of Eternity makes my stomach drop. It's a sour green floral with a huge heap of cloves and a pre-calone aquatic overlay. If women at that time were not wearing this, they were wearing one of the other Grojsman blockbusters that had the same signature stomach-drop shock value. Here's a great quote about my idol, Camille Paglia, and Eternity from someone named Marnieworld on a forum that has nothing to do with perfume:

"My favorite Paglia memory has nothing to do with her teaching though. I have always had allergies and a bad sense of smell because of it. I mistakenly spilled a bit of perfume on my typing paper and handed in a paper to her right before Christmas break. When we returned I received my paper in a plastic bag. She said that she had to isolate all of the papers on her porch until she could determine which was the offending paper and it took her a few weeks to pinpoint me as the culprit. In addition to the comments about the writing she told me not to use so much perfume and compared me to Belle Watling of Gone With the Wind. Some students in another class that didn't like her, organized themselves to all wearing that perfume(Calvin Klein's Eternity) one cold day and it drove her absolutely insane. Not a far trip of course!"

on 1/14/2015 2:25:00 AM

Beautiful, minimalist bottle and initially a nice concept: a chaste and soapy white floral to ring in the 1990s after a decade of weighty Oriental perfumes (such as Obsession!).

However, I find this stuff shrill, sharp, sour, and annoying beyond belief. Somewhere in there is a rather pleasant muguet-rose combo, but it's drowned out by the screechy topnotes that never quite fade.

Eternity would suit Professor Umbridge from Harry Potter. Like her, it makes an attempt at delicate femininity, but its inherent obnoxiousness wins in the end.

on 8/14/2014 5:56:00 PM

This is my "signature scent"
I have worn it for many years, i buy new perfumes to swap it up a bit, but always have a bottle of Eternity. I just LOVE it!! Plus wherever i go, whenever i am wearing it i always get told my perfume smells nice and asked what perfume i wear. I even have friends that think of me straight away whenever they smell this perfume elsewhere :) It's a beautiful classic smell suitable for every day use as well as evenings out and has dropped so much in price since i first started wearing it, which is awesome!!

on 2/5/2014 5:54:00 PM

Not my kind of scent. Much too peppery. This is strong and very unappealing to me. After I sprayed this on at the store, the sales lady that was helping me said she was getting a headache from it. It didn't do that to me, but the sales lady handed me a wet wipe and asked me to wipe it off. How funny that a sales person can't even stand one of her perfumes!

on 1/1/2014 10:58:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Obsessed with this perfume! A very delicate yet long lasting scent. Bought 2 bottles of it.!

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Kinky, Medium

It's one of my favorites. Great packaging, a nice clean, light scent, and a great price, particularly when bought as a set (along with scented lotion and a mini travel bottle). I recommend this product highly, and it's in my rotation.

on 10/12/2013 10:36:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

I love the way Eternity smells on two of my female friends, so I thought I would invest in a small bottle for myself. Even though I think it smells better on my friends, I actually find this to be a pleasant fragrance- as long as I don't over apply it! It does have a clean, floral, powdery scent that reminds me a little bit of Estee Lauder's White Linen. Not exactly the same as White Linen, but I would say it's in the same family. On me, I prefer the latter over Eternity... but I still think Eternity is a pretty, feminine, fragrance that I might repurchase it if I ever use up my little bottle.

EDIT 10-20-13: Actually, the more I wear this, the more I like it. I love the smell of it on my clothes after I have worn them with this fragrance on my skin. But I'm thinking this reminds me of a fragrance called "Windsong" that was from the 50's, I believe.

on 8/30/2013 5:02:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Kinky, Fine

Top Notes: Freesia, Mandarin, Sage. Mid Notes: Lily of the Valley, White Lily, Marigold, Narcisse. Base Notes: Sandalwood, Patchouli, Amber
I tried this back when it first came out in 1988 and thought it was "just OK" and never purchased a bottle. Fast forward to now and I picked up a tester recently and sprayed some on my wrist. I was hooked. I can't believe I have missed out on this scent for all these years LOL. I love it!!! I bought a full size bottle and have not regretted it one single bit. This is a clean, soapy, floral that I think can be worn any time, any place, without offending anybody. It has quite good projection and longevity. I haven't had an HG for many years, but I dare say, this could be it. It just really suits my fragrance taste at the moment. I will continue to wear Eternity for who knows how long.... perhaps an Eternity!

on 7/29/2013 9:04:00 PM

Many years ago I tried this and did not like it. Today I decided to give it another try. All these years later and I love it! I am not sure if my chemistry changed or if as I get older, my tastes have changed. It is a very soft, clean floral that is warmer than most florals. I normally don't buy florals but this one works on me now. I can see where you would have to be very careful about how much you apply, you want to go lightly with this one. If you are into all of the sweet, fruity florals that populate the market, then don't try this one. Also, I love the sleek, elegant bottle. I understand now why this has become a classic.

on 7/27/2013 9:02:00 PM

If ever there was a fragrance that defined an end to an era and the beginning of a new one, Calvin Klein's Eternity Pour Femme is that fragrance. When I smell this perfume now in 2013, I am instantly transported back to late summer 1988 when Cheap Trick's "Lap Of Luxury" album had just come out and many of us were rocking out to the hugely popular power ballad, "The Flame". I connect all of my fragrance memories to music, as I find fragrance and music to be the most powerful to bring back a memory.

Eternity is all about the heavy freesia, carnation, rose, cedar and sandalwood. It goes in that order on my skin. As strong as this starts out, is mellows to a soft sandalwood base with a little freesia hanging around. I have always loved this perfume, have an aunt who has worn it since its introduction in '88, so it's one of those comfort fragrances for me, so to speak.

Eternity turns 25 this summer, and has rightly earned its *Classic* ribbon. Klein released it worldwide in August 1988, and it took to a huge fan base, its popularity lasting all throughout the 1990's. For many of us, it will always be a walk down old memory's lane. I know many dislike it for whatever their reasons, and yes, it may be one that has been exposed to over advertisements and heavy handed wearers, but with all the fame thrown out the window and with just 2-3 sprays, you have a really nice green floral that is sure to bring you compliments. This is one perfume that always turns my head when someone walks past me wearing it. It's rarely worn anymore, so in an age of overly sweet stuff, you'll stand out in a good way wearing Eternity.

Also, I have along with the current edp, the vintage Cologne Spray, back when it was still under Calvin Klein, and with so many reformulations that have sadly taken place in the last few years, Eternity is one fragrance that has remained unchanged.

Popular Fragrances