Calvin Klein Eternity for Women

3.1

on 4/9/2015 6:33:00 AM

I don't understand how some people can like this perfume. At the beginning it smell ok, now I can't stand it. The smell gives me the nausea and headache. I feel like throwing it away.

on 4/5/2015 7:25:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Medium

This has a beautiful sweet kind of scent perfect for spring/summer but should only be applied in a small amount as I usually put this on at eight in the morning and can still smell it on me in the evening. It definitely reminds me of when I was younger as my mum always used to wear this and it has quite a strong sophisticated smell , hope this was helpful x

on 3/31/2015 5:38:00 PM

This rating is ONLY for pre-reformulation Eternity, as manufactured by Calvin Klein Cosmetics (not Unilever, or--most recently-- Coty Prestige). Somehow, this lovely carnation-lily-rose fragrance has lost a lot in translation over the years. The current iteration manages to be both less concentrated and more harsh, soapy, and "screechy." Unbearable, metallic, and wrong.

I wore Eternity back in the early '90s as one of my two "adult" fragrances, along with Estee Lauder Knowing. (I was first out of college and realized that patchouli oil no longer fit my image :)) I adored it then, and, once I realized I needed to find vintage bottles on eBay, I adore it now.

You definitely need to apply Eternity with restraint; one or two squirts is plenty for all-day sillage. I tend to spray at chest level or below, otherwise this scent can induce headaches. But when applied correctly, it is one of my very favorite classic florals. Cool, green, watery freesia and lily are evident at first sniff, followed by a spicy carnation heart and a hint of tea rose. The sandalwood and sage at the base keep this modern, not in the least stuffy or Victorian. The overall effect is very clean and intensely feminine. The sexiness of Eternity is that it's more than a freshly-scrubbed scent, though that's the first impression; it's a lush and emphatic floral that leaves the sniffer wanting to know more... about it, and about you.

Big thumbs up!

on 3/12/2015 9:31:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Fresh, clean, beachy -- yet earthy too, with sandalwood, amber, and patchouli in the base. Launched in 1988, it was voted into the Fragrance Foundation's Hall of Fame in 2003.

The creator is Sophia Grojsman, famous for many big hits and Hall of Fame winners -- White Linen (my early-80's signature and husband's all-time favorite perfume on me), Tresor, Paris, Calyx, Bvlgari Pour Femme, and many more.

Here are Eternity's notes, per parfumo.net:

Top Notes - Freesia, Mandarin, Sage, Green notes, Lemon blossom

Heart Notes - Lily-of-the-valley, Pot marigold, White lily, Rose, Narcissus, Carnation, Violet, Jasmine

Base Notes - Amber, Patchouli, Sandalwood, Musk, Heliotrope

To me, the original 1988 ads are accurate -- it smells like those black-and-white ads with model Christy Turlington and her photo-"family" on the beach. The ads capture the romance, purity, minimalism, simplicity, and naturalness of Eternity.

My late mother used to wear it -- however, I didn't fully realize it at the time. I never thought of her as a regular perfume wearer, but smelling Eternity now, it's very recognizable as her own subtle clean personal scent. It takes me back.

on 3/9/2015 10:35:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I don't know why I ever stopped wearing this perfume. This was my signature scent in the 90s...like many others. I remember going to Macy's and purchasing a gift set and just falling in love with the scent. My body chemistry mixes very well with it....and it's not normally the type of scent I wear...but this just works for me. Very long staying power too....and doesn't give me a headache like a lot of other scents these days.

Very classy, and Iove the bottle too..very typical Calvin Klein, minimalistic and elegant.

on 1/30/2015 2:27:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

When I was a child in the 90s, women all smelled like this--towering authority figures in denim vests with stiff 90s pixies cuts a la Enya and Patty from My So-Called Life. If you were to go in any elementary school classroom in 1995, it would likely smell of Eternity. It instilled a kind of fear and respect in me even as it made me sick. It was fascinating and I miss women having this kind of presence; 2015 is all drab Soviet seriousness and scentless sourness and strident politics. Everyone has a castrated academic boyfriend/husband that prefers "the natural look" and hates perfume. If I smell perfume on a woman it's such a rare treat that no matter what it is, I love her. I love any woman wearing any fragrance that I can actually smell--that's how starved for it I am in liberal dystopian Austin.

Just thinking of Eternity makes my stomach drop. It's a sour green floral with a huge heap of cloves and a pre-calone aquatic overlay. If women at that time were not wearing this, they were wearing one of the other Grojsman blockbusters that had the same signature stomach-drop shock value. Here's a great quote about my idol, Camille Paglia, and Eternity from someone named Marnieworld on a forum that has nothing to do with perfume:

"My favorite Paglia memory has nothing to do with her teaching though. I have always had allergies and a bad sense of smell because of it. I mistakenly spilled a bit of perfume on my typing paper and handed in a paper to her right before Christmas break. When we returned I received my paper in a plastic bag. She said that she had to isolate all of the papers on her porch until she could determine which was the offending paper and it took her a few weeks to pinpoint me as the culprit. In addition to the comments about the writing she told me not to use so much perfume and compared me to Belle Watling of Gone With the Wind. Some students in another class that didn't like her, organized themselves to all wearing that perfume(Calvin Klein's Eternity) one cold day and it drove her absolutely insane. Not a far trip of course!"

on 8/14/2014 5:56:00 PM

This is my "signature scent"
I have worn it for many years, i buy new perfumes to swap it up a bit, but always have a bottle of Eternity. I just LOVE it!! Plus wherever i go, whenever i am wearing it i always get told my perfume smells nice and asked what perfume i wear. I even have friends that think of me straight away whenever they smell this perfume elsewhere :) It's a beautiful classic smell suitable for every day use as well as evenings out and has dropped so much in price since i first started wearing it, which is awesome!!

on 2/5/2014 5:54:00 PM

Not my kind of scent. Much too peppery. This is strong and very unappealing to me. After I sprayed this on at the store, the sales lady that was helping me said she was getting a headache from it. It didn't do that to me, but the sales lady handed me a wet wipe and asked me to wipe it off. How funny that a sales person can't even stand one of her perfumes!

on 1/1/2014 10:58:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Obsessed with this perfume! A very delicate yet long lasting scent. Bought 2 bottles of it.!

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Kinky, Medium

It's one of my favorites. Great packaging, a nice clean, light scent, and a great price, particularly when bought as a set (along with scented lotion and a mini travel bottle). I recommend this product highly, and it's in my rotation.

Popular Fragrances