April 20, 2014 | 1489 users online

Fragrances - Giorgio Armani - Gio (for women)

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/9/2013 2:33:00 AM More reviews by SuburbanSue

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Gio was introduced in 1994, and that's when I got my first bottle. I was in my mid-20s and in college; I had sniffed a test strip in a magazine, liked it and put it on my Christmas list. Aesthetically, I liked the sleek, modern look of the bottle and the golden color of the juice. It looked nice sitting on my dresser. But the fragrance itself was a departure from my usual preferences. I've never been fond of "big" florals; I usually can't tolerate anything with lots of tuberose or gardenia. But Gio, somehow, is an exception. It starts out with a huge blast of tuberose and what smells like cinnamon -- so sweet and overbearing, it's almost too much. For the first few minutes after I've sprayed it, I always find myself regretting the choice. But then, 10 minutes later, it settles down into a unique, well-blended scent that sort of hovers around me with a powerful, feminine, sweet sillage. It's definitely floral, and there's even a bit of a fruit syrup note in there, but it's grounded with some woods and musk. It smells almost edible, but at the same time the scent reminds me of silk. There's a smoothness and strength to Gio. I've heard it compared to Amarige, Red Door and other loud, headache-inducing florals, but to my nose it's a heck of a lot more sophisticated, and it's more mellow and not as high-pitched. That silkiness, that modern-ness, keeps it from being too cloying. It's a floral that even I, a certified floral-hater, can wear and delight in. It's like the splendor of a glowing sunset, captured in a bottle. It conveys warmth and happiness. Applied with a light hand, Gio does not make me queasy the way Amarige (which I reluctantly admit is probably Gio's closest cousin) does.

Unfortunately, Gio (so I have heard) was a commercial failure -- which isn't surprising considering the other fragrances that were selling well at the time were watery, unisex, "clean" types like CK One and L'Eau d'Issey. Acqua di Gio, which followed a few years after Gio, and is a completely different fragrance with only a trace of the original Gio, was a better seller. Gio is now discontinued and hard to find anywhere other than eBay -- and the few bottles available sell for a premium price. But I've managed to get my hands on a few bottles and I will keep wearing Gio as long as I can.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/13/2012 10:18:00 PM More reviews by Emily0816

I've had this bottle for 10+ years; I just tried it for the first time in at least 7 years tonight and the scent hasn't changed. It reminds me of a turbulent period in my 20s so I can't wear it very often, but it was a favorite at the time and I still appreciate its character. I was shocked to see this described as a "fruity, floral" fragrance because there's nothing sweet about it and it drys down into a musk. It's not a typical sparkly floral as it has much darker, deeper tones. It smells like something a femme fatale would wear, or an undercover agent - a beautiful woman - trying to seduce a mark over late-night drinks at an upscale bar. It's sexy and dangerous but not slutty. It's a shame that it's been discontinued - luckily I have enough left to remember those crazy, dark, beautiful, sexy nights of my early 20's, though.

Edit: my boyfriend couldn't keep his hands off me after I sprayed ths on today... He said "you smell good" and pulled me closer. That's as positive a review as any of my perfumes have received.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/4/2011 10:36:00 AM More reviews by harriella

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Other Eyes: Hazel

This ist my first review on MUA an I hope itīll be helpful- and sorry for my bad english (itīs not my mother language). When I tried Gio the first time, im was really amazed by itīs feminity and elegance. Of course it is strong stuff, but the wonderful developement of the Jasmine, Roses, Violet and Bergamotte (the topnote) meeting Tuberose, Gardenia, Peach (the heartnote) melting into a base of Musk, Amber and Vanilla is very seductive an feminine. Compared to those common watery fresh florals in drugstores, this is a statement perfume! It really depends on ones body chemistry I suggest - and of course on the occassion you wear it. As others already mentioned: Be careful, when apply, it can be overpowering very quickly. If itīs overdone, itīs magic is gone and itīs just loud...

I receive alway a lot of compliments wearing Gio - especially from men ;-), they find it very seductive. Gio is a wonderfull scent for the evening if you go out. Itīs white flower-notes always remdind me of a very hot summer night- but itīs character is not summery- fresh and light, but rich and voluptous.
I am happy I found a place, where Gio is still availlable for a reasonable price!

rated 4 of 5 on 8/2/2010 8:12:00 PM More reviews by idressyou

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

This is for the pure perfume version. Whoa! I thought the original Bijan DNA was the most tenacious and potent stuff out there, but the staying power and sillage of Gio puts it to shame. When first applied, it's like a giant gardenia bush decorated with cloves & cinnamon sticks jumped in front of me screaming and shaking it's branches... but give this a few minutes, and it mellows nicely into a creamy and spicy gardenia. I don't find it synthetic, at all... in fact, I find it to be pretty dead on with an actual gardenia blossom. It has that slightly corn-y note that the real flowers have. It IS overpowering IF you don't use just a baby dab... and on the torso, under clothing, at that. The miniature bottle I have will last me a lifetime, so I most likely won't be needing to buy it again, but would if it ever ran out. I love it for days I'm craving a good dose of gardenias, and nights I'm overdosing on Billie Holiday music. I found it for a song on the bay.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/20/2010 5:26:00 PM More reviews by elfriede

Big, dense, ultra-feminine white floral with a hint of candied sweetness--along the lines of LouLou and Byzance. Cloying and boozy at first, but it dries down to a softer, slightly powdery floral dominated by gardenia, orange blossom, and ylang-ylang. It's very pretty, but a bit dull.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/9/2009 4:24:00 PM More reviews by justelle

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Other

Sexy, musky perfume. Strong (a little goes a long way) and great staying power. Prefer to wear this in fall/winter months. Great for a hot date!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/13/2008 9:03:00 AM More reviews by BlackAmberMoon

I have a love/hate relationship with Gio. It's one of those fragrances that will smell great one day, repulsive the next - so weird! On the good days, it's like wearing sweet nectar from a delicious flower in mid-summer...on bad days, it gives me a headache and is so annoying I can't wash it off fast enough! *sigh*

A word of warning: like other reviewers have said, this is one STRONG, long-lasting perfume, so apply a TINY amount or you will offend everyone in the room! Probably not good for people with allergies.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 5/28/2007 11:30:00 PM More reviews by calico1

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

Bought this item unsniffed. I've been monitoring this on Ebay and on other online stores. Its price made me think it must special. My bad! Now I'm writing this review with a headache like no other. This is a heady, dry floral, that can be nauseous if chemisty is off. It reminds me of Jivago 24K, which also triggers a migraine on me. Sorry Gio, you're not the one for me.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/18/2007 1:18:00 PM More reviews by beckibear

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I used to love this. I first remember coming into contact with this when I was little and used to raid my sister's cupboard to get a sneaky squirt. When I got my own bottle, I used to pile it on - so much so that I can remember going to school one day and feeling really sick and self-conscious because I had just sprayed waaay too much of this on. This is certainly a strong perfume, but with a contrasting soft powdery note. I haven't had a bottle of this for ages. In spite of my overdose, I will be buying this again. It's too good a perfume not to.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/5/2004 7:35:00 AM More reviews by AlleyCat415

This was by far and away one of my favorite scents ever. The problem is I haven't been able to find it for the past couple of years so I am assuming it's been discontinued (though you can buy it online but I never trust that because the bottle could be old). Such a shame as this was just such a warm, sexy, sitting in a cozy sweater by a fireplace in a cabin in the winter type of fragrance.