October 23, 2014 | 932 users online

Hair Color - L'Oreal - Preference Shine Extending Hair Color

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/18/2014 4:00:00 PM More reviews by upinspace

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is my go to perm black dye. I've used both of the darkest two shades and they're equally as good. I've used this almost every time, its a no fail go to for me.

They give you a nice amount of dye that is enough for my ~15 inch thick hair. It covers colors easily (ie teal covered to black with no blue or green tones) It doesn't look patchy and dyes evenly (if it doesn't, its probably a user problem). Your hair will feel quite silky after you rinse it out, but it is IMPORTANT to follow up on deep conditioning whenever you wash your hair for the next few weeks. After a week or two, my hair does feel dry if I don't.

Also, a great plus is that it removes from your hair EASILY with color stripper. I reccomend if you like to change it up a lot.

WARNING: I told my friend I liked it and she ending up using it, it actually broke her scalp out in hives and painful lumps. She was allergic to an ingredient. If you've never used it before PLEASE do a strand test. Not sure which ingredient, but it may be irritating to certain individuals.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/11/2014 2:01:00 PM More reviews by lightheartedmom

TL;DR version:
Cons:
-Whispersoft Blonde turned my med blonde hair carrot top orange with some absolutely perfect highlights in the actual color on the box. One wash later and it's toned down a tiny bit, but it's still pretty garish.
- The Smell was was almost unbearable. When I was coloring the hair around my face it stung my eyes. If you're going to use this color (and it isn't a bad product), PLEASE use in an extremely well ventilated area.

Pros:
-My hair is soft and shiny and feels more healthy after coloring than before.
-Outside of the general orange tint, the highlights that have shown up from this color are basically exactly what's on the box (and exactly what I wanted).

Long Version:
I have hair that is naturally med-dark blonde that has been colored a lot at home over the last year, twice with herbal instincts/healthy look non-perm colors and at least twice with DIY highlights using Garnier Nutrisse Ultra Lightening Blonde colors. Condition, condition, condition. That is my mantra. My hair is straight, slightly on the thin side and not quite as damaged as you'd expect from all the coloring.

So here's the thing. My experience with this brand is something I will probably never live down - at least with my husband, who HATES what happened that night I decided "hey, I should color my hair (AGAIN)."
I found a box of Whispersoft Blonde at Ross (yeah, I know...this was probably a bad idea) for $4.99 and it was the exact color I had been flirting with doing for months. About a month ago I did some high lights at home, but I was feeling bored and wanted something more dramatic. Spoiler alert: I got it. The dramatic at least.

My husband went to a night class, I decided it was the perfect time to color my hair. I used a brush and bowl from Sally's to mix and apply the color to about 3/4 of my hair. I left a small portion at the nape of my neck uncolored, for some variation.The smell again, was pretty strong. My scalp felt okay, but I will say that two days later, it does feel a bit irritated. I left it on for way longer than prescribed by the box - probably an hr and 15 minutes compared to 30 on the box. My hair tends to tilt strawberry so especially with 20 or 30 vol developers (this one was 30), I always leave it on longer. So, I wash it out, use the conditioner (luxurious and creamy) and when I step out of the shower I can already see the carrot-y disaster on my head. Blow dry - oooh, pretty streaks of blonde! - nope. Time to panic. It looks so orange! No getting around it now, husband gets home, shock over hair ensues...mom visits the next day, more "oh! you did your hair" (complete with awkward grimace). It's not good guys.
I do love those streaks of blonde, but what I wanted was for them to be on top of an ash blonde and what they're actually on top of is...like the color of a raw sweet potato.
So...use with caution. I am going to give my hair a two week break and then try to recolor with a darker blonde in hopes of not having carrot top for my friends' wedding in February. Ugh.

I would still purchase this brand again because my hair feels fantastic and the color is shiny and has lots of dimension to it. I just would not recommend going so many shades different.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/9/2013 4:02:00 PM More reviews by kitty55

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have been using L'Oreal Preference for 10 years now and my hair looks professionally colored. I have tried so many other brands and always came back to this, so for the past 5 years at least, I haven't strayed. I use the 4SM (soft mahogany brown) and love the multidimensional color and shine it gives my hair. It has very subtle reddish highlights and although a bit darker, is as close to my natural hair color that I can get. I have kind of salt/pepper grey, auburn-brown hair and the coverage is excellent for only $8.99! I like this better than Excellence which seemed too flat and boring in comparison. Highly recommend..

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/23/2013 3:49:00 PM More reviews by missmanic

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Curly, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I alternate between getting my hair dyed in a salon, and box dying it at home. For years, I was using Garnier 100% color in Blue Black. That was discontinued. After lots of research, I settled on Preference in Natural Black (01?). I love it. It's a rich, glossy, black. No blue, no red, no purple. I LOVE the conditioner it comes with, it makes my hair very, very silky. Ideally, I would dye my hair once a month, but I can get away with 2. This doesn't stay as glossy and rich come month 2, but it still looks presentable. My roots are light, and I do notice quicker fading on them. I will continue to use this.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/14/2013 4:18:00 AM More reviews by loveisreal

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

The color didn't bleed but only lasted about a month. But that is not my complaint,what I actually hated was the odor. It was so strong that it hurt my eyes, halfway through I had trouble breathing and opening my eyes,I had to dye my hair squinting my eyes.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/7/2013 12:34:00 AM More reviews by Tycho3

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I usually dye my hair a couple shades darker from medium/dark brown to very dark brown. I tried this brand in 4A Dark Ash brown and it was not good. This color was specifically supposed to minimize red/brassy tones but it made it more red than any other brand I've tried. It was ridiculous. I will not use this again.

Clairol Perfect 10 in Darkest Brown was great. I will be redoing it with that color.

rated 2 of 5 on 9/2/2012 9:41:00 PM More reviews by linerfreakxx7

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

So I'm trying to go back to my natural (from dark red), but I was suddenly inspired to go beyond that and dye my hair jet black. However, certain conditions prohibited be from going that dark. Anyway, I got the natural black from this line and it looked so beautiful! However, after two weeks, it started fading!! It started showing up brown and red highlights!! Not only that, but it was blotchy! It was blotchy when I first dyed it! Parts of red showed right near my bangs! I will not use this color again.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/3/2012 5:25:00 PM More reviews by catdeluxe

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This is my HOLY GRAIL hair color. I color my hair jet black, so I pick #1.0 Naples. I love the shine it gives to the every single hair - literally, and this shine lasts til the date of next coloring (I have problem maintaining shine of my hair since it's naturally curly and very dry), so this product makes it perfect and soooo glossy! I also love the big tube of conditioner, so you can use it every week and extend the shine of your hair, just perfect! The only one negative caracteristic of this hair color is smell, which is pretty sharp, but everything else outweights this. I'm really in love with this product! :)

rated 4 of 5 on 6/25/2012 7:08:00 AM More reviews by blondebeckyxo

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Blue

This hair dye is by far the best hair dye I've ever used. It made a great difference to my hair! My hair was dark brown, I removed the colour from it to a gingery colour, then bleached it. As you can imagine it was a yellowy colour with orange streaks... I was crying on the bathroom floor! I had got the colour 01 Lightest Natural Blonde which I didn't have much faith in to fix it but figured I had nothing to lose! As soon as I put it in I could see difference! It was really neutralising the colour and turning it a light blonde colour! I only left it in half an hour because I didn't want to ruin my hair further, washed it out and it was a lovely pale blonde! Unfortunately it darkened a little the next day to a light yellowy blonde but I still love it. The only downside is I found it didn't actually make my hair shiney at all, but there are other products I can purchase to help with that!

rated 4 of 5 on 2/13/2012 4:39:00 AM More reviews by dashcrabtree

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Lately I've been obsessed with obtaining an often ignored and sometimes even maligned hair color: light, slightly ashy, Good Girl brown... What many refer to as 'mousy' and try desperately to remove, I've been trying anything to acheive! I used Preference no 5, 'Lisbon', which has recently been given a fancy 'runway' redesign (at least in Europe), on my poorly bleached hair. It covered extremely well and gave a natural, soft look. Although it has p-Phenylediamine in it and therefore runs the risk of KILLING ME, I may buy it one more time to get it to really stick to my hair (bleach's fault, not Preference's). Lisbon is fantastic!

Edited to add: I used this again this week in 6.66 Babylon, which is a true red shade, and was much less enthused. It was too dark and too violet (more like a level 4 mahogany), two things that always make a red look really fake. It may be my hair history, but be wary of Babylon if you want red-red and not burgundy hair.