October 1, 2014 | 1115 users online

Deodorants - Crystal - Naturally Fresh Deodorant

rated 4 of 5 on 8/16/2013 3:08:00 PM More reviews by Lysle

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

Most people don't know how to use this deodorant nor do they understand the concept. It is NOT an antiperspirant. That means it will not prevent sweat; only odour control. This deodorant has lasted me for nearly 5 years. The only downside is water is needed and it doesn't help those who sweat a lot.

rated 2 of 5 on 7/25/2013 4:23:00 PM More reviews by dbc202

Mines a bit different from the picture but I think it's the same concept. I don't really have any pros to say about it besides that I like how its roll on, how its paraben free and how it has the breast cancer sticker on it. But that's about it. It doesn't help whatsoever, you get pit stains and it makes you smell like sweat. The deodorant literally smells like sweat. I do not recommend it. And it also doesn't last very long so you litteraly smell like you came out of the gym after half of an hour of using it. Overall I give it a 2/5 for packaging and for the ingredients but for the overall deodorant and smell I cannot count that. I also give a no to repurchasing.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/28/2013 11:37:00 AM More reviews by ILikeCakeAndIceCream

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This was my first time buying a natural deodorant and I've always used antiperspirants. This was such a change but a welcomed one! After hearing about the negative impacts antiperspirants can have on my body I was eager to try something natural, not to mention I began to have adverse reactions to synthetic deodorants.

The Experience: When I read the instructions, to apply wet or to wet the crystal I found it a little strange and it FELT strange. I was used to being dry when applying antiperspirant and that being my desired result! But it dry within a minute unlike my "inadvisable solid."

The SWEAT: I was pleased to find that I didn't smell throughout my day. With regular antiperspirants I was likely to smell in the summer at least. The only time I noticed that I smelled is when I wore a dyed acrylic sweater and I would smell every time I wore it. So fabrics definitely played a part in reacting to the chemistry of my body. I usually wear cottons or other breathable fabrics and I didn't have a problem with those. I do have to shower daily, I cannot reapply this product an expect it to reactivate.

PROS: I love that it lasts so long. I've had it for months and I haven't noticed a bit of it gone. The packaging says it lasts up to a year and I believe it! That's an awesome deal for $2.97 at Wal-mart. My razors don't get that nasty clogged gunk on them anymore and my armpits feel totally different. I don't have to wash them several times to feel clean like I did with an antiperspirant.

CONS: This is a salt crystal being applied in an area that you use a razor. So you're rubbing salt in a wound if you get razor burn or a cut. I suggest using nice razors with this! The packaging is a little faulty. It cracked soon after I purchased the crystal so now it just sits inside the tube rather than being attached to the unit. I have to wash my hands after I apply it because I have to grab onto the crystals rather than the base to avoid rubbing salt into my eyes when I apply lotion or makeup on my face. There is something black on the bottom now, maybe an adhesive?

Due to the irritation caused with the razor burn and the gross black stuff I've noticed since the packaging cracked I'll be heading to buy an organic bar deodorant. I'll shave the bottom off and keep it as an emergency deodorant in case I run out since it works! It's been a great first time natural deodorant and it was cheap enough for me to make the switch and give it a shot. I wouldn't switch back to antiperspirants now!

rated 2 of 5 on 6/19/2013 12:59:00 AM More reviews by hellok1tty

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I bought this because I am seeking a more natural deodorant that doesn't contain aluminum or other bad for you ingredients. This was around $4 at Kroger. I got unscented because it's all they had. Mine isn't a crystal that I have to wet or worry about dropping, it's a roll-on with a little roller ball that applies the wet deodorant, which I like okay because it seems less messy. This stuff goes on clear and takes a minute or so to dry. It's a deodorant, not an anti-perspirant, which I was really worried about because I have pretty sweaty underarms. I work indoors in the a/c so it keeps my B.O. mostly under control, although when I pull my shirt off at the end of the day I can smell a faint funkiness. With that being said, when I am in the heat for a while, I will get more sweaty and smelly, so it doesn't work so well in those conditions. I have to re-apply it two or three times a day if I'm out in the heat, and it seems like after the second application it stops working and I will stink. If I wipe my armpits off with a baby wipe and reapply fresh, it seems to help somewhat, but I really don't think this deodorant works too well. My search for a more natural deodorant that actually WORKS continues.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/16/2012 6:09:00 PM More reviews by iamtk

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I avoided this for a LONG time. As a fairly heavy sweater, I spent years refusing to give up antiperspirant. Literally, years. But it's become increasingly more important to me to 1) avoid putting unnecessary chemicals on my body, and 2) avoid animal-tested products, which is darn hard when it comes to drugstore antiperspirants. After a particularly frustrating summer day of sweating through my clinical-strength Mitchum, I figured what the heck - it can't possibly get any WORSE. So I took the plunge.

The price is definitely an awesome pro to this product. I bought the travel-sized stick for 2.97 at Walmart. It says it lasts up to a year. After a few weeks of use, I don't even see a dent in the crystal, so I think it will last a good while. The packaging is nice too - all recyclable, very minimal. I love the travel size because I don't like having more bulk than I need to.

It's not an antiperspirant. I still sweat. However, I would sweat about the same amount when applying Mitchum regularly, so for me there's no loss there. And interestingly, this crystal does a WAY better job of keeping odor away than antiperspirant ever did. When I would sweat heavily while wearing antiperspirant, I would get this weird, slightly perfumed funk that would stick to my clothes and become noticeable if I lifted my arms (sorry if TMI). When I sweat after applying the crystal, I smell nothing. Literally nothing. It has held up to everything I do, and I'm talking hot August days without AC and vigorous yoga/Zumba classes. Even when I'm sweaty, I'm not smelly. That's impressive to me, and a result with which I'm very happy.

I took away a lippie for a few reasons. I have to be careful what shirts I wear on hot days to avoid sweat stains, since again, this doesn't really curb sweating. Sleeveless, dark colors or baggy underarms are the best bet. Also, you have to wet the crystal to apply it, and I find it goes on easiest if you do it on wet underarms fresh out of the shower. It doesn't feel QUITE as fresh if you do it without washing your underarms first (though it doesn't make you stink or anything). Also, it takes a minute or so to get a good coating of product under each arm. If you skimp and just swipe it twice, it won't work - you have to cover the whole area to keep bacteria at bay. So it's a bit more involved than just swiping on some Secret.

I'm up to it, though. I've ditched my precious antiperspirant, and I actually smell much better without it. I love that it's free of chemicals, inexpensive, made by an ethical company and unscented, as that means it doesn't compete with my perfume. I'm very happy with this. Give it a try! It's cheap enough that it's not a tremendous risk.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/30/2012 11:56:00 PM More reviews by cepauloar

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I absolutely LOVE this product. I stopped using antiperspirants about a year ago. I was hesitant to try this product because of the price but in the store they said they would refund me if I didn't like it so here I am.
I know it doesn't reduce your perspiration but to be completely honest, that doesn't bother me at all.
What I am concerned about is body odor and this wonderful deodorant eliminates it completely. I've used it for a couple of months now and it's the only (belive me, the ONLY) product that keeps me completely odor-less for the whole day.
Do know one thing, while showering (every day) I scrub my armpits with a loofah and shower gel or soap. I like to give myself a good scrub and then on clean skin apply this deodorant. In my opinion, even the strong deodorants and antiperspirants won't work as well if you don't wash your armpits properly and daily.
The only problem I see with it (besides the price, which is totally worth it) is that if it falls, well... it breaks and then you lose a lot of product. I know, you're thinking DUH! but what I mean is that, it's kind of a pricey deodorant and you want your investment back. So be careful while handling it.
I recommend this to the whole world, I hope that it doesn't stop working for me, like I read in some reviews. I will continue to repurchase it.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/12/2012 6:19:00 PM More reviews by bluestar21

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

In theory, this stuff is wonderful. A natural solution to odor caused by perspiration. No chemicals, no fragrance, no colors. At first it worked just fine. At the end of the day, I simply smelled like me, which was a refreshing change as I was used to smelling like some artificial fragrance.

HOWEVER, after some time this just stopped working for me. I tried doing 50+ strokes, I tried letting it dry, I tried everything. I simply had to switch to something else because I was becoming extremely self-conscious because I smelled so bad.

Oh, and the packaging is horrible. It always slipped from my hand. The cap shattered long ago, the twist-up at the bottom is messed up, and there's cracks/pieces missing from the body after dropping it. Also, this can be harsh on your skin, especially after shaving (like rubbing salt into a wound).

I still don't know how I feel about this. I want to love it, but I also don't want to stink...

EDIT: I dunno, sometimes I come back to this and feel like it works fine for me. I actually just ordered another travel sized one. I will probably keep using it.

rated 2 of 5 on 7/30/2011 9:02:00 PM More reviews by ECLion

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Ah natural deodorant, you are so cruel to me. This stick worked perfectly for me -for about a month and a half. Then it just quit. Suddenly stopped working and both made my BO REALLY bad when I didn't put it on (lounging about unshowered on a sick day) and caused a painful rash under my arms. Before it quit, the only complaints I had were difficulty of application and package design.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 5/7/2011 11:07:00 AM More reviews by JLB2005

Ridiculous. Does nothing to help with odour. It's just as effective as using nothing.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 3/26/2011 2:37:00 AM More reviews by rallu

I bought this in Ocean Breeze and gave me a big red itchy rash.