November 26, 2014 | 1622 users online

Hair - Jheri Redding Colorfix

rated 1 of 5 on 11/9/2014 4:09:00 PM More reviews by Skatergirl152753

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I hated colorfix. It completely dried out my hair worse than the last bleaching treatment if had done. The smell was so terribe that even after three shampooings one of them done at a salon it still has that burnt smell. It lifted the red out of my hair very little and left me with a pink/brown hair color with blond roots so I now look like a calico cat. The directions are so hard to get to unlike other hair products that have the paper the directions are printed up on the inside of the box. I would not buy this product again even if my IDE depended on it.

rated 1 of 5 on 11/7/2014 12:28:00 AM More reviews by kaaayxoxo

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

This stuff was HORRIBLE. I tried to get purple haircolor out of my hair and it turned it blue and green. I used it twice, mixing correctly, applying it properly and evenly, applying heat, and keeping it on for the recommended amount of time - plus a little extra. Not only did it not work, but the smell will not go away. It is lingering in my hair and all throughout the house. It is disgusting!

This stuff takes out black, how the heck can it not get out purple?!

rated 4 of 5 on 10/5/2014 9:15:00 PM More reviews by jplakhot

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

Saved my hair! Because I was stupid and died my hair a dark dark almost black brown colour all-over with a permanent box drug store dye (Garnier Olia) to fix a previous colouring oops, I decided to take the crappy dye out of my hair and get back to my natural medium ash brown colour, without bleaching out the black. Although I did 4 applications of this product (20min, then 40 min, then 1 hr, and another 1hr), it did work! However, you have to be very careful about where you apply the product. My roots had a lighter brown permanent dye, and so I tried avoiding them throughout the whole process, and upon final application of colorfix, the roots went a bright orange, while the rest of my hair was a medium coppery brown. To fix this issue, I applied the toner lotion (step 3 of the kit) to the roots only, and it darkened the roots a little bit and dulled down the orange. Overall, my hair was definitely way off the natural colour and a few levels lighter at the crown, so don't expect this thing to work miracles, but it did lift out A LOT of the box dye, with absolutely no damage to my hair (even with 4 applications over 2 days). A few tips:
- put on a shower cap while waiting, so to not dry out the product on your hair and process a bit faster
- halfway through the wait time, comb through your hair and move the product around a little bit, and cover it back up with the cap. The colour will come out more even
- don't use conditioner between applications, it will interfere with how the product works. Just shampoo, dry your hair until damp, and re-apply.
- to really see what the colour will look like, you need to fully dry your hair
- leave your conditioner in for about 10 min at the end, it will make your hair soft again :)
- work in a well ventilated space, keep the bathroom fan on all the time - this stuff stinks and the smell does not go away easy...burn lots of scented candles hah!

Anyways, I went over with a demi-permanent dye overtop to tone out the copper tinge (Ion color brilliance 7N), processing my roots first, and my hair is now exactly how I wanted it to be from the very beginning - a nice, even chocolaty brown :)

rated 1 of 5 on 9/21/2014 6:35:00 PM More reviews by emelyb93

i died my hair fuchsia with ion color brilliance. my manager told me that the color was too bright and asked me to take it out. i tried this product and my hair started turning blue then green. i waited the recommended 20 min and washed it out. my hair slowly started turning back to fuchsia. my hair is probably one shade lighter. but thats it.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/25/2014 12:54:00 AM More reviews by LadyMidnight

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is THE product if you want to take dye out of your hair. Color Oops doesn't work as well and you don't get as much product.

Don't use step 3, or do a strand test at least before you use step 3 on your whole head as it can re-activate your old dye.

wrap your head up! I used a shower cap and a towel over top. Some people add heat, but I went from JET BLUE BLACK to light caramel and didn't use heat. I left it in just over an hour. My hair is only slightly damaged.

WAIT to dye your hair again...at least a couple days, and shampoo your hair like crazy after you rinse the Color Fix off your hair. Buy a clarifying shampoo when you get this. After you rinse it out, shampoo a minimum of 10 times with the clarifying shampoo, trust me. I did mine 20 times, just to be extra sure I got all the dye out and my hair is totally dye free.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/31/2014 6:52:00 PM More reviews by TBonita

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

This is much better for me than color oops... It's not watery and doesn't smell AS bad although it does still have that sulfur smell. Plus I get a few apps out of each box. I do not use step 3. This does not give you back your 'natural' color.... Since perm colors deposit AND lift the cuticle since they use 20 vol most of the time, so the color that was deposited is removed leaving you with the color your hair was stripped to underneath, which in my case most recently was a dark nice blonde with green ends. Never heard of that happening before but I had many layers of many types of semi, demi, perm, henna, and one layer of indigo I guess that explains it... Anyway the green was easily countered by an application of aveda madder root conditioner mixed with red red colorful protein filler. My hair was not damaged in the least. I am keeping the color I was left with and not dyeing over it as I like it very much. I will always have this in my arsenal as I am a serial home colorist.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 12/22/2013 11:30:00 PM More reviews by CordulaM

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Yea......this did not work for me. Hate to say since I know it's not a guarantee, but I also don't want to lie and say it's great when sometimes it just does not perform. I tried this as a strand test on fuchsia hair and it turned blue. Mine is the second picture. I rinsed well and shampooed and didn't put on any peroxides. I heard you can do it again and that sometimes the first go just takes out warm tones, but the second time I left it on a little longer and no change. It's fine but I'm glad I didn't do it all over. I know you can't dye right away or even bleach because the chemicals might react, but in a few weeks I do hope to bleach it out a little. (In a few weeks, without doing anything else, it turned a kind of brownish. Has a mind of it's own) It didn't work for me so I returned it. I had much better luck just fading naturally and diluted bleaching out, but it works for some so I guess just not for me. Oh and I heard it smells less badly than the Ion one, but it was pretty bad. And I'm used to bad hair chemicals and other things like sulfur for my acne, but yea, it wasn't nice.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/12/2013 1:39:00 AM More reviews by Gecykah

Holy cow.

All I have to say is, this stuff is UH-MAY-ZING.

I have been putting color on top of color on top of color for the last several years. This has resulted in a horrible mash-up of red/brown/mud/poop hair, with the ends going a seriously dull black.
When I would go through these phases in the past, I had to completely fry my hair with bleach to regain any sort of a normal, uniform color again.
I doubt I will EVER purchase bleach for that purpose again.

This is seriously a miracle in a little yellow box.
I mixed it half and half, just like the directions said...I applied with an applicator bottle. Covered with a plastic bag, left it on for 20 minutes, then did a quick blow dry. I washed my hair twice for a total of maybe 10 minutes.

When I checked in the mirror, I saw a gorgeous red color that I kept for several days. I then dyed to a nice medium chocolate brown, closer to my natural color.

I honestly can't believe how well this worked in just one application.
I created a profile on here, just to write this review!
As I said before.....AMAZING!!!!!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/7/2013 6:04:00 PM More reviews by veronikaawithak

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This is my third time using, and I'm currently sitting with a shower cap over my head letting this process.

The first time I used it, like many other users, was trying to get rid of black. I have been colouring/bleaching/damaging my hair since I was 13 so I expected a lot of damage, but hey couldn't have been worse than bleaching my hair again. I applied the solution (which yes reeks like somethin awful but I hoped worth it) put on a shower cap and let it sit for 20 mins (no additional heat). I went to check in the mirror and voila! Magically my hair was a good three shades lighter and now a brownish muddy red. I left it in another 20 minutes to see what it did, and didn't really lighten any more so I went ahead and rinsed and shampooed for the next half hour. Applied the third step and rinsed and left my hair to air dry. I had previously bleached my hair so I knew it wouldn't go to my natural colour but my bleached colour, and it did not disappoint, came out significantly lighter than black. So I waited a few days, repeated the whole process, and was left with a pretty light albeit red blonde. So it was a miracle! My hair felt in better condition than before, and the color fix did exactly what I was hoping it would: remove the black without having to bleach.

I'm currently removing a dark reddish brown so I can go a few levels lighter, hair is a shoulder length bob and I used half of both bottles, so depending on how light it goes I have the rest to use in a few days. I have a protein treatment waiting for when I'm done washing/rinsing my hair in a few minutes, and I'll report back with the results.

But again, all in all, highly recommended. Yes it stinks, but it's tolerable and worth it. Yes it's a bit pricey, but if you don't use the whole thing at once you can stretch it out, making it more budget-friendly. And packaging, the bottles are a bit of a pain to use but still work. If you're on the fence, go ahead and get it, chances are it'll work (EXCEPT on semi-permanent you apply straight from the bottle, you need to have coloured with a developer for this to work, and it also won't work on vegetable dyes ie henna) and your hair won't be any worse for the wear.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/18/2013 6:31:00 PM More reviews by bek72

This product worked really well. I had dyed dark brown hair. Medium length, curly, porous, MANY layers of permanent color. I followed the application and timing instructions and was very careful to coat every stand. I eliminated the #3 process, because the directions and the sales lady at Sally' s Beauty Supply said to do so because it can darken the hair again. At the end, all the color was stripped and it did not damaged My hair like bleach. I washed and towel dried, and left protein rich restructuring conditioner in my hair for 15 minutes. Then I colored my hair with a rich golden medium brown. My hair was silky soft and I love my new color!