February 28, 2015 | 1207 users online

Hair - One 'n Only - Jheri Redding Colorfix

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/9/2015 1:13:00 AM More reviews by stream27

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Some things to start with that other reviewers have gone over (and reviewers from other sites have mentioned)

1) This is only meant to be used on PERMANENT COLOUR. People have had luck with it with semi, demi, henna, and vegan (i.e Manic Panic, Special Effects) colours, but you are taking a chance with these as the product was not designed to be used with them. If it doesn't work on them, it's because it's really not supposed to. It won't change the colour of virgin hair (hair that hasn't been dyed) at all.

2) Step 3 should ONLY re-darken hair if you didn't fully rinse out the actual colour remover thoroughly. This step is to show where there is still dye left so you can do another application if necessary. If you applied and rinsed thoroughly, step 3 will just act as a very mild toner. If you don't use step 3 and didn't rinse thoroughly enough, your hair is going to re-darken over the next few days anyways. Step 3 just speeds this process so you can see where the colour didn't lift as much so you can do a second processing if necessary. I find dying right after colorfix gives a darker result. I like to wait a couple weeks before adding colour after removing old stuff. Gives time to condition and do a little protein filling.

3) As this is for use with permanent colour, it won't restore your hair back to your EXACT natural colour. All permanent colours are going to contain some form of developer, even if it's only mild, which slightly lightens the hair so the new colour can be deposited properly. What this product will do is remove the colour. You're hair will likely end up a tad lighter and a little brassier than your natural colour due to the effects of the developer from the permanent dye.

For me, this product did exactly what it is supposed to do. Removed built up permanent dye from my hair. I'm naturally somewhere around a level 8-9 ash blonde. I've been dying my hair a dark burgandy for about 6 months. Loved the colour, but because my natural colour is so much lighter and my hair grows fast, I was having to re-dye every 3 weeks to keep up with the root growth, as it was always super obvious when they would start to grow out. I decided I was sick of the hassle and the mess (red dye seriously runs forever), so I wanted to get back to my natural colour to not have to mess with root touch-ups all the time.

I've bleached previously (dark, dark brown back to almost natural with lots of toning and some dye-overs), so I knew how bad that would fry my hair. Colour remover seemed to be the better option. This stuff had good reviews so I grabbed 2 boxes from Sally's.

One of my first favourite things about this product is the amount you get. I was able to do a full colour correction on my whole head with one package. I have a ton of hair. I'm the girl that needs to buy 3-4 boxes of dye when I need to do my whole head, so to only need one package was awesome.

Yes, it smells. It smells like a perm. If you've ever been to a salon that offers perms, you'll immediately recognize the smell. It's not pleasant (think hard boiled eggs mixed with car exhaust), but it's tolerable. I actually prefer it to the scent of some ammonia-based colours I've used. It's going to linger in your house for a few hours, so don't do it before you have guests over and you should be fine.

I split my hair in half vertically, then sectioned it horizontally, making sure to saturate all hair evenly and thoroughly. Then I clipped it up in a loose bun, wrapped my hair in plastic so the product wouldn't dry out, and let it sit. I left it in for about 40 minutes while I did dishes, then 20 more minutes with a blow dryer with a diffuser.

Rinsing is fun. As I mentioned above, you need to make sure you rinse thoroughly, or your hair will re-oxidize the remaining dye and your hair will darken. Seriously. Rinse A LOT. Rinse till you think you're done, then rinse for 15 more minutes. After rinsing, I washed twice with Neutrogena anti-residue shampoo. Any clarifying shampoo should do the trick. By now, my hair is really brassy, but about the same level as my natural colour

I rung out the water and did a strand test with the processing "lotion" (which is more the consistency of water. Should be called "processing solution" or something :/). I strongly recommend a strand test with Step 3 because if you haven't rinsed enough, it will undo all the work you've already done. If you notice the hair starts to darken, hop back in the shower and keep rinsing. I didn't see any darkening going on (left it 10 minutes just to be sure), so I proceeded to apply it to my whole head and let it sit for the recommended 10 minutes.

Hop back in shower, rinse out step 3. Notice my hair is less brassy than before applying it, but no darker, so that's cool. Shampoo with my normal shampoo, then apply a hair mask for 10 minutes. Towel dry, argan oil on ends, all done.

Now it's almost dry and I can see the true colour and condition. My hair is a little dry, but I think that might be more from the anti-residue shampoo, as it tends to dry out my hair. The colour is still very warm. Somewhere in the realm of very light ginger, or extremely golden blonde. However, it's the exact shade of my natural colour. Once I do a little toning to get rid of the residual brassiness, I expect it's going to be pretty darn close to my natural colour. Considering I went so light from so dark, I was expecting there to be brassiness left over from the developer, and it's much less than I expected.

Overall, I really do like this product. It did exactly as it advertised it would, at a decent price, and didn't completely kill my hair For now, I'm retiring from hair colouring, but I will definitely keep this in mind if its services are ever needed again, and won't hesitate to recommend it to others

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/2/2014 12:07:00 PM More reviews by MUAsAlbino

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Why is this under the 'brand' of Jheri Redding? The company that makes Colorfix is actually One N Only. Putting it under the improper brand makes it nearly impossible for newbies to find this.

Anyways, I have had to remove dye from my bleached hair many, many times over the years. Because I never learn my lesson about the fact I am ugly with dark hair.

Here are some tips I learned through experience and wish someone had told me from the get go. Maybe this will save some of you going through a hairdye disaster.

1. Colorfix does the best job in my experience of all the color removers out there. It says it will only work for pemanent dye. It wont remove demi, or temporary color. That is due to the dye molecule size. But that's not true. I have gotten fushia manic panic out with one try, along with demi dye on other occasion.

2. DO NOT DO STEP 3. The 3rd bottle, 'processing lotion'. If you go through reviews youll find a ton of ppl complain of their hair redarkening after this step. It sometimes does reverse everything. This is again, due to dye molecules. Also, the 3rd bottle has peroxide in it. I learned my lesson after the first time and now always just throw that bottle out. Way less damaging, and no chance of it undoing everything.

3. Apply it to damp hair. I didnt realize this until the 6th time I used Colorfix. Applying it to damp hair makes it soooo much easier to coat all of your hair.

4. The rotten egg smell. Many people suggest using coffee grounds to remove it. Ive tried that, had very minimal results. Using baking soda has been the best solution ive found to remove the stench. I apply a handful to my hair for 10 min, let it sit, then wash out.

5. Follow up with a deep conditioner. The active ingredient in colorfix isnt damaging (its Sulfur) but it is very (temporarily) drying. I love Neutrogena Triple Moisture masque as a quick fix and ION Keratin Dry Oil as a leave in conditioner.

6. Wait at least a week, with several shampooings and conditionings in between, before using any dye that involves having to use developer. Again, this has to do with dye molecules. If you don't take my advice, there is a chance that when you go to dye it (too soon, within a week) your hair won't take to the new shade you are trying to apply, and it'll just redarken to the shade you *just tried to remove*.

EDIT: I had to use this once again last night after my bleached porous hair turned purple in some spots due to a toning disaster. Colorfix to the rescue! I wanted to add another helpful tip.

It helps if you do a hot oil treatment right before applying this. I experimented with this last night and WOW the results were incredible. I noted before that i realized applying this to lightly damp hair helps a bunch with getting it to even distribute through my hair. And that still rings true, but, having an oil treatment in my hair allowed the sulfur to get the dye molecules out......without clinging to my hair for dear life. My hair is very soft this morning and there is 0 nasty rotten egg odor.

DO NOT APPLY ANY PRODUCTS CONTAINING SILICONE PRIOR TO APPLYING COLORFIX. THE SILICONE WILL COAT THE HAIR, PREVENTING COLORFIX FROM PENETRATING ENOUGH TO GET THE DYE MOLECULES OUT.

I believe I've really gotten the hang of this. Awesome product.

rated 1 of 5 on 11/9/2014 4:09:00 PM More reviews by Skatergirl152753

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I hated colorfix. It completely dried out my hair worse than the last bleaching treatment if had done. The smell was so terribe that even after three shampooings one of them done at a salon it still has that burnt smell. It lifted the red out of my hair very little and left me with a pink/brown hair color with blond roots so I now look like a calico cat. The directions are so hard to get to unlike other hair products that have the paper the directions are printed up on the inside of the box. I would not buy this product again even if my IDE depended on it.

rated 1 of 5 on 11/7/2014 12:28:00 AM More reviews by kaaayxoxo

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

This stuff was HORRIBLE. I tried to get purple haircolor out of my hair and it turned it blue and green. I used it twice, mixing correctly, applying it properly and evenly, applying heat, and keeping it on for the recommended amount of time - plus a little extra. Not only did it not work, but the smell will not go away. It is lingering in my hair and all throughout the house. It is disgusting!

This stuff takes out black, how the heck can it not get out purple?!

rated 4 of 5 on 10/5/2014 9:15:00 PM More reviews by jplakhot

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

Saved my hair! Because I was stupid and died my hair a dark dark almost black brown colour all-over with a permanent box drug store dye (Garnier Olia) to fix a previous colouring oops, I decided to take the crappy dye out of my hair and get back to my natural medium ash brown colour, without bleaching out the black. Although I did 4 applications of this product (20min, then 40 min, then 1 hr, and another 1hr), it did work! However, you have to be very careful about where you apply the product. My roots had a lighter brown permanent dye, and so I tried avoiding them throughout the whole process, and upon final application of colorfix, the roots went a bright orange, while the rest of my hair was a medium coppery brown. To fix this issue, I applied the toner lotion (step 3 of the kit) to the roots only, and it darkened the roots a little bit and dulled down the orange. Overall, my hair was definitely way off the natural colour and a few levels lighter at the crown, so don't expect this thing to work miracles, but it did lift out A LOT of the box dye, with absolutely no damage to my hair (even with 4 applications over 2 days). A few tips:
- put on a shower cap while waiting, so to not dry out the product on your hair and process a bit faster
- halfway through the wait time, comb through your hair and move the product around a little bit, and cover it back up with the cap. The colour will come out more even
- don't use conditioner between applications, it will interfere with how the product works. Just shampoo, dry your hair until damp, and re-apply.
- to really see what the colour will look like, you need to fully dry your hair
- leave your conditioner in for about 10 min at the end, it will make your hair soft again :)
- work in a well ventilated space, keep the bathroom fan on all the time - this stuff stinks and the smell does not go away easy...burn lots of scented candles hah!

Anyways, I went over with a demi-permanent dye overtop to tone out the copper tinge (Ion color brilliance 7N), processing my roots first, and my hair is now exactly how I wanted it to be from the very beginning - a nice, even chocolaty brown :)

rated 1 of 5 on 9/21/2014 6:35:00 PM More reviews by emelyb93

i died my hair fuchsia with ion color brilliance. my manager told me that the color was too bright and asked me to take it out. i tried this product and my hair started turning blue then green. i waited the recommended 20 min and washed it out. my hair slowly started turning back to fuchsia. my hair is probably one shade lighter. but thats it.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/25/2014 12:54:00 AM More reviews by LadyMidnight

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is THE product if you want to take dye out of your hair. Color Oops doesn't work as well and you don't get as much product.

Don't use step 3, or do a strand test at least before you use step 3 on your whole head as it can re-activate your old dye.

wrap your head up! I used a shower cap and a towel over top. Some people add heat, but I went from JET BLUE BLACK to light caramel and didn't use heat. I left it in just over an hour. My hair is only slightly damaged.

WAIT to dye your hair again...at least a couple days, and shampoo your hair like crazy after you rinse the Color Fix off your hair. Buy a clarifying shampoo when you get this. After you rinse it out, shampoo a minimum of 10 times with the clarifying shampoo, trust me. I did mine 20 times, just to be extra sure I got all the dye out and my hair is totally dye free.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/31/2014 6:52:00 PM More reviews by TBonita

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Other, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

This is much better for me than color oops... It's not watery and doesn't smell AS bad although it does still have that sulfur smell. Plus I get a few apps out of each box. I do not use step 3. This does not give you back your 'natural' color.... Since perm colors deposit AND lift the cuticle since they use 20 vol most of the time, so the color that was deposited is removed leaving you with the color your hair was stripped to underneath, which in my case most recently was a dark nice blonde with green ends. Never heard of that happening before but I had many layers of many types of semi, demi, perm, henna, and one layer of indigo I guess that explains it... Anyway the green was easily countered by an application of aveda madder root conditioner mixed with red red colorful protein filler. My hair was not damaged in the least. I am keeping the color I was left with and not dyeing over it as I like it very much. I will always have this in my arsenal as I am a serial home colorist.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 12/22/2013 11:30:00 PM More reviews by CordulaM

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Other, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Yea......this did not work for me. Hate to say since I know it's not a guarantee, but I also don't want to lie and say it's great when sometimes it just does not perform. I tried this as a strand test on fuchsia hair and it turned blue. Mine is the second picture. I rinsed well and shampooed and didn't put on any peroxides. I heard you can do it again and that sometimes the first go just takes out warm tones, but the second time I left it on a little longer and no change. It's fine but I'm glad I didn't do it all over. I know you can't dye right away or even bleach because the chemicals might react, but in a few weeks I do hope to bleach it out a little. (In a few weeks, without doing anything else, it turned a kind of brownish. Has a mind of it's own) It didn't work for me so I returned it. I had much better luck just fading naturally and diluted bleaching out, but it works for some so I guess just not for me. Oh and I heard it smells less badly than the Ion one, but it was pretty bad. And I'm used to bad hair chemicals and other things like sulfur for my acne, but yea, it wasn't nice.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/12/2013 1:39:00 AM More reviews by Gecykah

Holy cow.

All I have to say is, this stuff is UH-MAY-ZING.

I have been putting color on top of color on top of color for the last several years. This has resulted in a horrible mash-up of red/brown/mud/poop hair, with the ends going a seriously dull black.
When I would go through these phases in the past, I had to completely fry my hair with bleach to regain any sort of a normal, uniform color again.
I doubt I will EVER purchase bleach for that purpose again.

This is seriously a miracle in a little yellow box.
I mixed it half and half, just like the directions said...I applied with an applicator bottle. Covered with a plastic bag, left it on for 20 minutes, then did a quick blow dry. I washed my hair twice for a total of maybe 10 minutes.

When I checked in the mirror, I saw a gorgeous red color that I kept for several days. I then dyed to a nice medium chocolate brown, closer to my natural color.

I honestly can't believe how well this worked in just one application.
I created a profile on here, just to write this review!
As I said before.....AMAZING!!!!!