September 19, 2014 | 1827 users online

Hair - Jheri Redding Colorfix

rated 5 of 5 on 5/25/2014 12:54:00 AM More reviews by LadyMidnight

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is THE product if you want to take dye out of your hair. Color Oops doesn't work as well and you don't get as much product.

Don't use step 3, or do a strand test at least before you use step 3 on your whole head as it can re-activate your old dye.

wrap your head up! I used a shower cap and a towel over top. Some people add heat, but I went from JET BLUE BLACK to light caramel and didn't use heat. I left it in just over an hour. My hair is only slightly damaged.

WAIT to dye your hair again...at least a couple days, and shampoo your hair like crazy after you rinse the Color Fix off your hair. Buy a clarifying shampoo when you get this. After you rinse it out, shampoo a minimum of 10 times with the clarifying shampoo, trust me. I did mine 20 times, just to be extra sure I got all the dye out and my hair is totally dye free.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/31/2014 6:52:00 PM More reviews by TBonita

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

This is much better for me than color oops... It's not watery and doesn't smell AS bad although it does still have that sulfur smell. Plus I get a few apps out of each box. I do not use step 3. This does not give you back your 'natural' color.... Since perm colors deposit AND lift the cuticle since they use 20 vol most of the time, so the color that was deposited is removed leaving you with the color your hair was stripped to underneath, which in my case most recently was a dark nice blonde with green ends. Never heard of that happening before but I had many layers of many types of semi, demi, perm, henna, and one layer of indigo I guess that explains it... Anyway the green was easily countered by an application of aveda madder root conditioner mixed with red red colorful protein filler. My hair was not damaged in the least. I am keeping the color I was left with and not dyeing over it as I like it very much. I will always have this in my arsenal as I am a serial home colorist.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 12/22/2013 11:30:00 PM More reviews by CordulaM

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Yea......this did not work for me. Hate to say since I know it's not a guarantee, but I also don't want to lie and say it's great when sometimes it just does not perform. I tried this as a strand test on fuchsia hair and it turned blue. Mine is the second picture. I rinsed well and shampooed and didn't put on any peroxides. I heard you can do it again and that sometimes the first go just takes out warm tones, but the second time I left it on a little longer and no change. It's fine but I'm glad I didn't do it all over. I know you can't dye right away or even bleach because the chemicals might react, but in a few weeks I do hope to bleach it out a little. (In a few weeks, without doing anything else, it turned a kind of brownish. Has a mind of it's own) It didn't work for me so I returned it. I had much better luck just fading naturally and diluted bleaching out, but it works for some so I guess just not for me. Oh and I heard it smells less badly than the Ion one, but it was pretty bad. And I'm used to bad hair chemicals and other things like sulfur for my acne, but yea, it wasn't nice.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/12/2013 1:39:00 AM More reviews by Gecykah

Holy cow.

All I have to say is, this stuff is UH-MAY-ZING.

I have been putting color on top of color on top of color for the last several years. This has resulted in a horrible mash-up of red/brown/mud/poop hair, with the ends going a seriously dull black.
When I would go through these phases in the past, I had to completely fry my hair with bleach to regain any sort of a normal, uniform color again.
I doubt I will EVER purchase bleach for that purpose again.

This is seriously a miracle in a little yellow box.
I mixed it half and half, just like the directions said...I applied with an applicator bottle. Covered with a plastic bag, left it on for 20 minutes, then did a quick blow dry. I washed my hair twice for a total of maybe 10 minutes.

When I checked in the mirror, I saw a gorgeous red color that I kept for several days. I then dyed to a nice medium chocolate brown, closer to my natural color.

I honestly can't believe how well this worked in just one application.
I created a profile on here, just to write this review!
As I said before.....AMAZING!!!!!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/7/2013 6:04:00 PM More reviews by veronikaawithak

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This is my third time using, and I'm currently sitting with a shower cap over my head letting this process.

The first time I used it, like many other users, was trying to get rid of black. I have been colouring/bleaching/damaging my hair since I was 13 so I expected a lot of damage, but hey couldn't have been worse than bleaching my hair again. I applied the solution (which yes reeks like somethin awful but I hoped worth it) put on a shower cap and let it sit for 20 mins (no additional heat). I went to check in the mirror and voila! Magically my hair was a good three shades lighter and now a brownish muddy red. I left it in another 20 minutes to see what it did, and didn't really lighten any more so I went ahead and rinsed and shampooed for the next half hour. Applied the third step and rinsed and left my hair to air dry. I had previously bleached my hair so I knew it wouldn't go to my natural colour but my bleached colour, and it did not disappoint, came out significantly lighter than black. So I waited a few days, repeated the whole process, and was left with a pretty light albeit red blonde. So it was a miracle! My hair felt in better condition than before, and the color fix did exactly what I was hoping it would: remove the black without having to bleach.

I'm currently removing a dark reddish brown so I can go a few levels lighter, hair is a shoulder length bob and I used half of both bottles, so depending on how light it goes I have the rest to use in a few days. I have a protein treatment waiting for when I'm done washing/rinsing my hair in a few minutes, and I'll report back with the results.

But again, all in all, highly recommended. Yes it stinks, but it's tolerable and worth it. Yes it's a bit pricey, but if you don't use the whole thing at once you can stretch it out, making it more budget-friendly. And packaging, the bottles are a bit of a pain to use but still work. If you're on the fence, go ahead and get it, chances are it'll work (EXCEPT on semi-permanent you apply straight from the bottle, you need to have coloured with a developer for this to work, and it also won't work on vegetable dyes ie henna) and your hair won't be any worse for the wear.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/18/2013 6:31:00 PM More reviews by bek72

This product worked really well. I had dyed dark brown hair. Medium length, curly, porous, MANY layers of permanent color. I followed the application and timing instructions and was very careful to coat every stand. I eliminated the #3 process, because the directions and the sales lady at Sally' s Beauty Supply said to do so because it can darken the hair again. At the end, all the color was stripped and it did not damaged My hair like bleach. I washed and towel dried, and left protein rich restructuring conditioner in my hair for 15 minutes. Then I colored my hair with a rich golden medium brown. My hair was silky soft and I love my new color!

rated 4 of 5 on 4/3/2013 10:43:00 AM More reviews by sawmakeup

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other Eyes: Hazel

I had used henna for a year, but my hair is actually blonde, so the upkeep on the roots was too much. How to get rid of henna though without an UGLY growout?? Cut it short--NO! Color over it--can't be done! Bleach it--turns bright orange! Then I discovered this product. It can do it, but it takes more than one time, and you have to leave it on a long time (2+ hours) and then rinse for 30 minutes. So it's a commitment in time to do this, but your hair will not be damaged, it will remove the henna. Key here: do NOT use the 3rd step. Throw it away immediately so that you are not tempted to do it. I think it's there so that you will have to buy another box because it actually brings BACK the color you just tried to remove because it closes the cuticle. I was warned, so I didn't make that mistake. And after 4 treatments, my hair was pretty much back to normal, so I went for highlights a few weeks later, and they turned out great! Very, very happy to have found this product or else I might have had to end up with horribly short hair. Only bad thing about this stuff is that it stinks whenever your hair gets wet again for a few weeks afterwards. Worth it for the results!

rated 4 of 5 on 3/24/2013 12:23:00 AM More reviews by hellok1tty

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I have been dying my hair black for years. I decided I wanted to go to red, but I needed to remove the black dye before I could make any changes to my hair color. I chose this product because they do not test on animals. It worked well, and did not leave my hair feeling like straw like I expected it would. On the downside, this product smells like seven year old farts wrapped in buttholes. It's totally gross smelling. When I had it on my hair, every time I turned my head I could smell it and it's a putrid, gagging stench. Don't use this product before you plan on going anywhere fancy because the horrid stink sticks in your hair for quite a few washes. I'm a week after using this stuff and my hair STILL stinks, especially when it gets wet (in the shower, sweating, etc.) But I haven't re-dyed it yet, which I have heard helps with the odor.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/31/2012 5:15:00 PM More reviews by Idel15

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I've been using for the past 3 years or so. my natural hair color is dark brown and i had dyed it light/medium brown. well, i go through phases with my hair. one day i got bored and dyed it black... BIG MISTAKE. several people told me i looked like a corpse but i convinced myself to love it. about a month and a half later i couldnt take it anymore. i did my research and found color fix. I LOVE THIS STUFF. yes it smells like rotten eggs mixed with old mayo but it gets rid of all the dye without damaging my hair.
Til now i still have not learned my lesson. i've dyed my hair black again and still find myself hating it. i used bleach once thinking it would be more effective than color fix but bleach did nothing but fry my hair and its still recovering now. i've tried cheaper alternatives like the l'oreal one called Colorist Secrets, also Color Zap and Color oops. those either dont work or are just bleach.
This very moment i'm sitting with colorfix in my hair once again getting rid of black dye. make sure you have a good deep conditioner in hand to use afterwards but for the most part my hair is usually left pretty soft after i wash it out. i usually wait a week or so after i use colorfix to dye my hair and i make sure i use a filler in my hair.
But for the most part this is the best product i've used. it has never let me down and i have found myself reaching for it again in the past 3 years.

EDIT: for reference i have curly hispanic hair. its about to my bra band and its currently dry. Also, do not use the final step of colorfix, it will pretty much put you back at square one

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 10/25/2012 9:19:00 PM More reviews by bbleu7856

I used this product to remove a color goof. For starters, it didn't work as well as I thought it would. I still had a bit of discoloration but it did remove quite a lot of it. I don't think I would purchase this again though. I mainly cannot tolerate the fragrance!! It is a horrible rotten egg/sulfur smell and it lingers in your bathroom for days!