April 17, 2014 | 1513 users online

Moisturizers - Paula's Choice - Skin Balancing Moisture Gel

image 0image 1image 2

rated 1 of 5 on 1/12/2014 10:41:00 PM More reviews by gimchi

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have combo-oily and ance-prone skin. I ordered and tried the sample for 2 days. Applied it in the weekend afternoon and night when i have flaky and dry skin around my mouth, nose and chin after exfoliation with lemon juice. it has a very nice 50 gel 50 cream texture in white. Once applied to skin it absorbed quite fast and leave very thin film like layer. On the second day using it, i have 3 tiny pimples. Maybe it work better with people that dont have acne prone skin. i hope to like it but seems like my skin disagree. I left with little amount in the sample. Will try again one more time to see will it break me out again or not.

4 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 11/15/2013 10:59:00 AM More reviews by geeemm

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I've found myself with a real dilemma on my hands when it comes to writing this review - I'm really 50/50 on this one. It's not bad, but it's not particularly good either. I can't really attack it for ruining my skin, nor can I praise it for improving it. I use this product at night when I don't need SPF protection, and actually started off loving the gel texture of this moisturiser; I'd never felt anything like it on my skin, and it really seemed perfect for oily skin - no greasiness or heavy, occlusive feeling on application. Some might argue it feels very siliconey and synthetic (which to be fair it is in a sense) but I didn't mind this at all. I kept wanting to touch my face afterwards to take in this new-found matte sensation!

I wish the praise could continue beyond this point, but there just wasn't anything remarkable thereafter. I found my face would sometimes remain quite red after a while; furthermore the matte finish of the gel could sometimes accentuate the porous, ruddy nature of my skin in places. This of course alleviates after a couple of hours, but still. When I started using this product it was the peak of summer here and the light texture was very welcome, but I can see that this isn't going to cut it in the colder months of the year. A few weeks ago my skin started to become very tight and flaky again after a sharp drop in temperature, and this no longer provided the hydration my skin needed.

It's a real shame; I really want to love this product, but I can't get enthusiastic about it. It's by no means bad at all, just not particularly worth the price paid. I'll use it up eventually, but doubt I'll repurchase.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/27/2013 8:12:00 PM More reviews by cankcank

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Tried sample size only.

I like the gel formula. It absorbs and doesn't make me feel oily. I can slather it over my t-zone in comfort.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/21/2013 10:24:00 PM More reviews by steelcitygal

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This is HG material for me. I have oily and dry combo skin that is prone to acne breakouts - mostly hormonal these days but the wrong product can cause problems. This product is a dream for me. Doesn't cause irritation or acne. Drys perfectly matte on my skin. I love everything about this and it's one of the only products I use consistently year after year. I would not be without this, ever.

The only complaint (and it's a minor one for me) is that during the winter months, I sometimes need an extra moisturizer for my dry patches. This is a minor inconvenience for me as this gel performs beautifully on my skin 99% of the time.

I have already repurchased several times and I would recommend this product for those with oily skin.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 5/1/2013 8:42:00 AM More reviews by Mom2Free

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

While Paula's Choice was having free shipping on everything, I ordered a bunch of samples of different products to try. So my review is based on a sample.

I didn't run the ingredients through cosdna before I purchased the sample or even before I put this on my face. That was my mistake. I saw it contained wheat germ oil; my skin generally does not like oils, but I patch tested it anyway. When I broke out on the patch of skin I applied this on, I tried another patch test on a different area of my face just to be sure. Yup. This breaks me out. I did eventually run the ingredients through cosdna, and wheat germ oil ranks a 5, so I am assuming that was the culprit.

The texture was oilier than I expected. I did like how quickly it sinked into my skin. And although broken out, the patches of skin I tested this on were moisturized.

If you're not acne-prone or clog-prone with normal to oily skin, I may recommend this. But if you are acne-prone, I would NOT recommend this at all.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/20/2013 4:11:00 AM More reviews by absdeinn

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Iíve been using this for 2 weeks now and decided this is not for me. It is just too silicon-heavy for me and did not provide enough moisture. A couple of hours after application, my skin are so oily I have to blot it. Thought I just use it as an eye cream as the website suggested but it stinks my eyes and watery. Now I have to use it as a neck cream and hope to finish it.

rated 2 of 5 on 11/10/2012 11:18:00 PM More reviews by judibean

I tried a sample of this and won't be purchasing the full version. It is too silicone-heavy for me. Also, based on the way it spreads, it feels like I would need to use a lot to cover my entire face each time. I like that it sinks in, has no scent, and leaves the face matte and not tacky-feeling. It gets 3 stars for that, but again, I can't get past the fact that this is a thick silicone product and not a watery gel. The first ingredient is water, but it definitely doesn't feel like it! I did feel like it was moisturizing enough, but I have combination skin with a very oily T zone.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/28/2012 5:32:00 AM More reviews by xding78

I've been using this product for a few months right now. I use this moisturizer before I put on sun block or other emollient. It's fast-absorbing and its smooth texture + mattifying finish make this gel truly weightless. But I have to admit I use this gel more like a mattifying agent than a moisturizer. After one layer of this gel, the sun block doesn't appear as shiny as it was and the skin doesn't feel that dry.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/28/2012 9:00:00 AM More reviews by mapn

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Green

Iíve been using several samples of the Skin Balancing Moisture Gel, and Iíve been very pleased. Enough to consider purchasing the full size tube. While Iím not the biggest fan of the gel formula, which feels very silicone-heavy, it does absorb well leaving my skin feeling very comfortable. It also contains niacinamide, which my skin loves. Perfect for both night time and day time use (under SPF). My sensitive, acne-prone skin hasnít showed any adverse reactions. For my eye area I need something more emollient (Iím using the PC Resist moisturizer for that, at the moment).

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/27/2012 1:39:00 PM More reviews by bebe7

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I like this gel because it is very light weight. I have oily, clog prone skin. I only use this at night because it doesn't have any SPF. It sinks in very fast and dries quickly. I don't feel like I am wearing anything on my face. I have used it for several weeks and have not noticed any breakouts from this. The only reason I 'm giving it 4 lippies and not 5 is because I feel it doesn't moisturize as much I need. Even though i have oily skin, my skin also gets dehydrated easily. So I try to slather on the moisturizer at night. This gel is great, but I need something a little more moisturizing sometimes. I still like this a lot because of how lightweight and refreshing it feels. I will alternate between this and the Resist Anti again Clear Skin Hydrator.
Paula's products have never dissappointed me, and ever since using her 2% BhA liquid, I have converted the rest of my skincare to her products. I now use her serums, cleansers, and moisturizers as well.