December 20, 2014 | 1030 users online

Eyeliner - Bobbi Brown - Gel Liner in Cobalt

rated 1 of 5 on 8/7/2014 8:45:00 AM More reviews by PrincessPilar

Age: 44-55 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Black

Disappointing. The pot has dried out and made the gel crumbly. Maybe I got a bad batch but I won't be buying this again. I prefer Urban Decay liners for ease of application and creaminess.

rated 2 of 5 on 12/19/2013 7:47:00 PM More reviews by jekki012

Just want to start off by saying that I am not new to gel/cream liners. In fact, they are all I use because I can never seem to keep pencil liners from straying. I started off with Mac's Fluidline years ago, but found that they dried out very quickly and the black was not as black as I liked, so I scoured makeupalley's reviews and decided to try out Clinique's cream liner, to which I have been faithful since 2007. I recently started to get the itch to try out different colors (other than black/brown), which Clinique does not offer, and I was always curious about Bobbi Brown's gel liners, since they have such a cult following. I decided on the Cobalt liner and I am sorry to say that this will be the first product that I will be returning to Sephora (EVER, and I have been VIB status since they same out with the program years ago). The liner is dry as if you had the pot for over a year and the gel itself was not very pigmented. With my Clinique liner, I only have to swipe the pot lightly once to make a clean line, but with this liner, I had to scrape the top of the gel multiple times to make choppy lines on my lid, and even after I managed to connect the lines, they were almost grayish, as if I had drawn my eyeliner with a bad charcoal brow pencil. *Flashbacks to high school makeup mistakes* It's also worth noting that this formula flakes a bit, smudges, and disappears by the afternoon, whereas with my Clinique liner, it fades a bit, but no touch up is really needed unless I'm going out after work. The other reviews suggest that the Cobalt Ink formula is different from the black/brown formulas, but after this experience, I won't be tempted to try any other Bobbi Brown liners. Still on the hunt for a smooth, well pigmented dark/royal blue liner that doesn't smudge (why doesn't Clinique make one! *shakes fist*).

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/4/2013 12:29:00 PM More reviews by Sophia1105

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

My dearest, fickle Bobbi,

*sigh* It has been some time since I've sung the praises of your inspirations, but I had to put this out there, should anyone at BB be listening...

BB gels(the old ones in the frosted glass jars) were nothing short of perfection. Soft yet pliable, thick but smooth. One dab of a brush and it covered the top lash line perfectly with enough for a sheer wash on the lower lash line.

Now however, the formula is stiffer, some great shades have been edited out (please come back, my beloved Indigo) and it takes a sold three to four swipes over the same line for the same intensity, which ends up with too thick and weighty of a line and flakes off. If you don't use the BB brush or swipe a brush along the "grain" of the brush bristles, you will end up with patchy, flakey blotchy lines that don't last. To get it to wear well, you have to create a thicker line...so much for sublime lines that enhance the natural shape of ones eye. Now her eyeliner screams "eyeliner!" whereas before it whispered "come closer, my love."

Adding to my pain, my hand is not adept at using said make-up brushes to line my eyes. Pardon my ineptitude, but I require a thin, angled brush to dab the product into my lashline--anything else turns this into a 20 min. affair of crooked lines and smears. Now the new formula prohibits me from using the product the way it works best for me.

My tears aside, Cobalt is a gorgeous blue and close enough to my beloved Indigo, with a touch more brightness that works for perking up my fatigued 13-hr-shift-as-a-nurse eyes. For the color, I would stock pile this shade, but for the new formula, I want to cry. I have had to "fix" my new gels (new of Caviar, Espresso, Black, Violet Ink and now Cobalt--per chance someone would assume this issue is exclusive to certain shades), with a few drops of either Laura Mercier's Transformer or Trish McEvoy's Finish Line, just to add some softness back to these jars of dried up gems.

Bobbi, if you are listening, please bring back the old formula, and throw Brownie Pink lipstick back in there while you're at it. Your betrayals are breaking my heart.

Signed-
A former Bobbi Brown addict.

8 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 6/5/2012 8:52:00 PM More reviews by rainbowrivulets

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Garbage. It's not smooth enough to apply to my lids. Thin colour, hard to work with.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/5/2012 9:57:00 PM More reviews by RobinFace

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This color is beautiful. It stays on all day. What more can I say. I love it.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/16/2010 12:36:00 PM More reviews by charlies04

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I've heard great things about these BB gel liners and have always wanted to try the Sapphire Ink cos of my love of an amazing Elizabeth Arden Dark blue eye pencil i used to use! But they have since discontinued the Sapphire Ink so thought i'd try the denim Ink (which it supposed to be the closest match), I liked the colour of the ink but i didn't like the hard to work with consistency-so i tried this Cobalt Ink, which is much more 'inky' in consistency and glides on much better! The colour is more electric and brighter then i prefer; colour wise i much prefer the denim (dark navy blue). I'm not sure these BB gel liners are worth all their praise, cos they are a bit bitty and difficult to work with. But saying that, I do even use the browny inks to fill in my eyebrows now, so i guess i'm just as converted by them as everyone else!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 8/1/2010 3:54:00 PM More reviews by violetmist

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

This is a fabulous colour but it dries out in the container and it flakes off in no time. I returned mine to Nieman Marcus and they made a fuss telling me that I didn't put the cap back on tight enough. They replaced it with another one and it did the same thing! Some of the BB gel liners are ok - caviar, granite, graphite shimmer but others are not: cobalt, indigo, sapphire shimmer, expresso - they all dry out and flake off.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/9/2010 3:37:00 PM More reviews by glitteradi

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

It is nice and pigmented blue dark shade but still maybe a touch too blue for me, I would have preferred something deeper because I have blue eyes, it would have been more elegant with a more toned down shade of blue ( I could not test it because I dont have a live counter near me) and definately easy to use and draw a line with. In my opinion it is very similar as MAC gel liners. However I find this not staying on very well. I find it smudging under my eyes. I know it is not my mascara because of the color. So I swapped this away and all my MAC gel liners too becuase of smudging and I temporarily use Estee Lauder pencil as a liner until I get my MAC liquidlast in post. And I am surprised how the Estee Lauder pencil stays on all day. It is pretty phenomenal, in my book.

rated 2 of 5 on 4/3/2010 7:33:00 AM More reviews by Jayemceetee

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Nice colour and nice packaging. Dry texture made it very difficult to appy (and yes, I did buy the BB eyeliner brush as well!). Back to liquid liners for me.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/23/2010 6:19:00 AM More reviews by sisip123

I complete agree with the previous reviewer - this DOES make brown eyes pop. I have dark brown asian eyes and it even makes my eyes pop. As soon as I put it on, my friend asked me if I was wearing coloured contacts because my eyes looked lighter. This is a lovely subtle dark blue that is not overpowering and garish. It perks up your neutral make up with a bit of colour. Looks great with Satin Taupe eyeshadow from MAC. A beautiful alternative to normal brown and black liners. This and BB violet ink are my favorite coloured liners.