November 28, 2014 | 1282 users online

Candles - Diptyque - Baies Candle

rated 2 of 5 on 9/6/2014 9:35:00 AM More reviews by Allouqua

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I got 3 pack mini 2.4oz for my birthday and this must be my least favorite of the 3... It meant be a bouquet of roses and blackcurrant leaves, I honestly smell the leaves and steams of ripe tomatoes. Which begs the question why would you make a designer candle and make it smell like that? lol. Like the the Figuier one got the fruity fig smell down pat and I get flowers from the Roses candle. I'm using it anyway since it an expensive candle and I can recycle the jar later but I wouldn't purchase it when it ran out.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/21/2014 2:22:00 PM More reviews by GwenNYC

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

This is most certainly the "starter candle" for those new to the brand. I can understand why, as it's a pleasant and mild scent. While my first diptyque candle was Tubéreuse, this is the candle so many beauty bloggers and the like seem to repurpose and purchase as their first candle, creating mass appeal. This is a "safe" scent. For those who make their first purchase online, this is the way to go. Fruity, soft and light, I've never heard a complaint about Baies.

These days I only purchase Baies to burn together with Roses, in an effort to save my ltd. edition Rose Duet beauties.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/28/2014 2:56:00 AM More reviews by 1Kim989

I recently purchased this candle, and I'm in love with it. I absolutely adore the black porcelain container as well as the black wax. I originally received this as a gift and immediately fell in love with it. It did last a long time and two weeks ago I realized that It was close to being done, I had to order more of this enticing fragrance. So I ordered the large jar which was a hefty price at 275.00 usd, crazy right? But it is 52 oz so I guess it justified my purchase. I'm so glad my friend turned me on to this brand, especially the scent. If you haven't already tried this scent, you really should. The scent itself is unbelievably romantic, dark, and mysterious. I do smell the rose and black current, blended very well together.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/22/2013 5:36:00 PM More reviews by graceface07

I bought this as a house warming gift for our new home. Its truly beautiful, fresh, and mysterious all at once. It feels like buying a peice of art. Also, there l'ombre perfume smells just like this candle!

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 4/16/2013 3:16:00 PM More reviews by sullyPDX

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

Baies is to Diptyque's bread and butter candle, with good reason. For the first time luxury candle buyer, it is very approachable and well liked by many. It's most certainly fruity, without being obnoxious. It has excellent throw, making it well worth the value. While I prefer the new Rose Duet candle which incorporates Baies & Roses, Baies is always a great go-to Diptyque candle. The next purchase I do recommend if you enjoy this scent is fig (or Fiuguier). It is also under the fruity category, but also has much greener notes which I find really amazing. Incomparable.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/5/2013 12:04:00 PM More reviews by dellywoo

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other Eyes: Green

Hmm - for the price I was expecting a great candle. It's simply ok. The smell is fruity and berryish but I can't smell it unless I'm up really close! Certainly doesn't scent my room. Disappointed!

EDIT: after burning for a couple of hours on two occassions this now seems to have great throw. Much more impressed, increasing by two stars.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/8/2013 8:27:00 AM More reviews by alyy9

PROS:
# beautiful, not overpowering, rose & blackcurrant scent
# lingering throw, even when unlit
# elegant black handblown glass and black wax

CONS:
# expensive but worth it, would buy again!

rated 4 of 5 on 10/27/2012 3:55:00 PM More reviews by catelfinel

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I can't fault the quality of these candles. They burn evenly and are easy to clean / push wax down if necessary. I don't think this scent is my favourite but then scent is very personal. I prefer the Freesia which I bought to go with it.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/11/2009 2:18:00 PM More reviews by wetbandit42

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

After all the hype surrounding this candle, I was a bit let down. I got the black Baies Noires candle, which was $68. I can't believe I paid that much for a candle, but I did. I was a bit disappointed when it came because the wick was buried in the wax, and I had to dig it out. For $68, I shouldn't have to do that. Second, it smells nice, but it's not that amazing. Certainly I don't think it's worth the price I paid. Third, the price. Way too expensive for a candle. I will say, this has a nice throw. I would not repurchase, and I highly doubt I'd buy another Diptyque candle. There are candles out there that are just as nice but cost much less.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/5/2009 1:02:00 PM More reviews by helloitsme1

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

A cool and sharp fragrance. I agree with other reviewers that this does have an intriguing smell...you would have to be told that it is a combination of blackcurrant leaves and bulgarian rose, because you would never be able to work that out yourself. The fact that this fragrance does have that enigmatic quality is a huge part of its appeal for me. A good fragrance for the home, I think, and suitable at all times of the year.