Diptyque Baies Candle

4.3

on 8/16/2015 8:02:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

Baies Room Spray & Candles - I've began using & buying this particular rose scent in both the candle & spray around the turn of the century, at which time I could actually afford it. Unfortunately I fell hard and still remain hopelessly in love with this fragrance. If I never wore anything but (the original) Stella rose & amber perfume & my home smelled of nothing but Baies candles & spray, I'd be forever a happy woman. The only drawback is the outrageous price. Fortunately, despite multiple moves and a criminal heist by psychopathic criminals which robbed me of almost everything of value I and my family had ever inherited, purchased, acquired, created or been gifted with throughout the better part of our lives, I still have approximately ⅛ (at most) of a bottle of the room spray and a single 10-plus year-old candle remaining. I treasure & hoard them like the holy grail that they are. :)

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

Very fragrant candles. Baies is very unique. It's a classy scent that smells sophisticated

on 1/28/2015 1:55:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Not my favourite candle by Diptyque. Still deliberating on whether to return it unlit or give it a chance to grow on me. Just smelling it for the first time through the box whacked me in the face in an almost bad way..
Its got a sharp, green tomatoey note that annoys my nose. I can sense the rose in here but it is so slight. The only sweetness is the sour sweetness of the blackcurrant. Obviously the sharpness won't annoy everybody's nose but maybe test this before buying if you are sensitive. I think my body probably just knows whats best, as my eyes are beginning to water sitting in the same room as the boxed candle... Im probably allergic to it.
Its super soapy too, separately, I hate that.
Does anyone know if this morphs when warm??
Im still making up my mind but I think I want to get as far away from this as possible. Its way too strong its nearly annoying for me unfortunately.
Two stars because I'm sure Diptyque know what theyre doing and it would be a nice candle for somebody else! But for me and a sensitive sense of smell its kind of obnoxious, gross and strong. I feel like a whinger for leaving a negative review of Diptyque, but I think its a love or dislike scent. You can only try it and see.

on 9/6/2014 9:35:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

I got 3 pack mini 2.4oz for my birthday and this must be my least favorite of the 3... It meant be a bouquet of roses and blackcurrant leaves, I honestly smell the leaves and steams of ripe tomatoes. Which begs the question why would you make a designer candle and make it smell like that? lol. Like the the Figuier one got the fruity fig smell down pat and I get flowers from the Roses candle. I'm using it anyway since it an expensive candle and I can recycle the jar later but I wouldn't purchase it when it ran out.

on 3/21/2014 2:22:00 PM

Hair: Red, Curly, Medium

This is most certainly the "starter candle" for those new to the brand. I can understand why, as it's a pleasant and mild scent. While my first diptyque candle was Tubéreuse, this is the candle so many beauty bloggers and the like seem to repurpose and purchase as their first candle, creating mass appeal. This is a "safe" scent. For those who make their first purchase online, this is the way to go. Fruity, soft and light, I've never heard a complaint about Baies.

These days I only purchase Baies to burn together with Roses, in an effort to save my ltd. edition Rose Duet beauties.

on 1/28/2014 2:56:00 AM

I recently purchased this candle, and I'm in love with it. I absolutely adore the black porcelain container as well as the black wax. I originally received this as a gift and immediately fell in love with it. It did last a long time and two weeks ago I realized that It was close to being done, I had to order more of this enticing fragrance. So I ordered the large jar which was a hefty price at 275.00 usd, crazy right? But it is 52 oz so I guess it justified my purchase. I'm so glad my friend turned me on to this brand, especially the scent. If you haven't already tried this scent, you really should. The scent itself is unbelievably romantic, dark, and mysterious. I do smell the rose and black current, blended very well together.

on 4/22/2013 5:36:00 PM

I bought this as a house warming gift for our new home. Its truly beautiful, fresh, and mysterious all at once. It feels like buying a peice of art. Also, there l'ombre perfume smells just like this candle!

on 4/16/2013 3:16:00 PM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse

Baies is to Diptyque's bread and butter candle, with good reason. For the first time luxury candle buyer, it is very approachable and well liked by many. It's most certainly fruity, without being obnoxious. It has excellent throw, making it well worth the value. While I prefer the new Rose Duet candle which incorporates Baies & Roses, Baies is always a great go-to Diptyque candle. The next purchase I do recommend if you enjoy this scent is fig (or Fiuguier). It is also under the fruity category, but also has much greener notes which I find really amazing. Incomparable.

on 2/5/2013 12:04:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other

Hmm - for the price I was expecting a great candle. It's simply ok. The smell is fruity and berryish but I can't smell it unless I'm up really close! Certainly doesn't scent my room. Disappointed!

EDIT: after burning for a couple of hours on two occassions this now seems to have great throw. Much more impressed, increasing by two stars.

on 1/8/2013 8:27:00 AM

PROS:
# beautiful, not overpowering, rose & blackcurrant scent
# lingering throw, even when unlit
# elegant black handblown glass and black wax

CONS:
# expensive but worth it, would buy again!

Popular Candles