October 21, 2014 | 1302 users online

Palettes - Smashbox - 8pc Time Slots Beauty Portfolio

rated 5 of 5 on 11/29/2003 11:14:00 PM More reviews by Samsara26

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Awesome. I love all the pieces in this kit. The colors are great, what a deal, I purchased this on QVC back when it was the TSV.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/29/2003 1:02:00 PM More reviews by mcamps

I bought this product at eBay. I had seen it at Sephora.com and I passed it over for some reason. I then reconsidered some time later and found that they had sold out! I went to eBay and got it for a few dollars more than at Sephora (bummer), but it was worth it. I have fair skin with warm tones and this kit is perfect for me. The cream eyeliner takes a bit of practice, but once you get it, it's wonderful! It has great staying power; I have to really wash to get it off. The gloss, pencil, and lipstick are perfect on me, even though I thought the gloss and pencil would be too light. Despite it's overall average staying-power (except the liner) I was pleasantly surpised by this kit, and if you can get your hands on one (they are currently sold out) I would definitely recommend doing so. The only reason I gave it 4 lippies instead of 5 is that it doesnt come with a mascara. Otherwise, it was excellent, and I would definitely purchase it again.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/27/2003 10:29:00 AM More reviews by Allibird

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

There's not much that I don't like about this set. For $55, you get TWO full-sized eye trios, lipliner, lipstick, a blush duo, a cream eyeliner duo with brush, & a lipgloss. The colors are well-suited to work with each other and will compliment most skin tones.
My one complaint is that this set doesn't take any risks. There are no bold, bright colors to really stand out. Everything is very neutral. So while it's very practical, it's not always fun, and shouldn't makeup always be fun?
For some basic necessities, though, this set is an amazing value.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/14/2003 9:31:00 PM More reviews by pinky1030

this has got to be the BEST makeup kit...the price is SO cheap for all the products you get...and all the colors were extremely useful for me because they were very neutral, yet can create a great intense look. i wasnt too sure about buying it, but im SO glad that i made the choice...every prodect except the eyeliner brush were excellent in quality...the brush was way too hard and hard to use...so you have to use your own liner brush to apply the cream liner(which is really great). i REALLY LOVE the eyeshadows, which look even better when you put it on than in the box..there are so many possibilities to mix&match with them. the lip prodects were also wonderful, the colors compliment eachother and gives the perfect neutral/nude lip look. and i absolutely adore the blush, and the amount of product is hugh considering everything else it comes with. the little brochure of how to apply is pretty much pointless, but the case is a really neat idea and keeps everything in place. i am so crazy about this kit that i want everyone to try it...its so perfect for anyones makeup collection. for $55 you get $200 worth of full size products, with very pretty and usable shades...who can pass up such a great deal?

rated 5 of 5 on 3/10/2003 7:24:00 AM More reviews by pokie

This set is a great introduction for me to the Smashbox line of products. I especially like the Smashing Wide Angle and Smashing Roll Film eye shadow trios, Warmth-Luminance blush/highlighter duo, and Cafe Latte lip pencil. Those items alone cover the $55 price tag. (Wish I'd known about the QVC deal!)

The shadows are smooth and go on sheer with layering capability for more depth. The Warmth blush is like NARS sin without the shimmer. I haven't tried the Pixel lip gloss or Improv lipstick yet because they look a little plain and I have plenty of other lip stuff to play with already. But I use and experiment with everything else.

I didn't give it 5 lipsticks because none of the items are a staple or HG for me, but I will buy other Smashbox products in the future. UPDATE: I upgraded this to 5 because ALL the colors are so usable. I am SO glad I got this set! continued >>

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/26/2003 9:15:00 PM More reviews by Helen

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This is a great value for $55 you get a great set--I am glad I got to try a variety of products too. I love the eyehsadows and the lipstick & gloss. Definitely a must have.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/10/2003 3:30:00 PM More reviews by kwolpert

I am really kind of suprised that I like this kit so much...I have *never* been able to find a nude lip look that doesn't make me look dead, but here it is!! I find that all the products are wearable. The 2 shadow trios are lovely (Roll Film - pinky beige, champagne w/ some shimmer, and mossy green w/ gold shimmer)(Wide Angle- lt. shimmery gold, taupey beige w/ a little shimmer, and matte chocolatey brown). The blush/highlighter duo is pretty- the blush (warmth) is a plummy rose and the highlighter is a soft gold. The lip pencil is in cafe latte (a great neutral liner). Lipstick is Improv ( a pale pinky beige ). And finally, the lip gloss is Pixel ( a sheer pinkish nude). Ooops forgot the cream eyeliner duo in midnight brown/putty. Putty is a light grey/brown.

The kit comes with a little booklet to show 5 various looks centered around times of day. I find that I wear the daytime look the most. It makes me feel done w/o a lot of makeup. I was suprised that the putty really does define the eye nicely (afraid it was going to be too light). I have done the primetime look a couple of times and really like it, although I don't smoke out my eyes a lot. The combo of the liner, l/s and l/g to me looks great, and I feel quite sophisticated in this look.

The kit comes in a neat little make up bag with a couple of compartments.

I ordered this from Sephora.com for $55 (USD), but it was also a TSV on QVC.(I originally ordered it from qvc, but the blush came smashed (my DH commented "what do you expect from a product called Smashbox" - ha ha (he is SUCH a card :)) and sent the kit back whereupon I was told that it was unavailable (I wanted to exchange it). REALLY ticked me off that they offer a product and then couldn't follow through when the product was damaged in the mail. Anyway, long story short - I ordered it from Sephora (price was MUCH better on QVC (about $39), although it is still a deal).
I will definately look for more Smashbox kits in the future...so sorry for my pocketbook ;-).

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/2/2003 7:24:00 PM More reviews by Crusty

Age: Unknown Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This set is available from Sephora and was available from QVC as a TSV. It's a great set, and perfect for travel. The enclosed pamphlet gives you ideas on how to use the various products. The e/s trios are great, and the blush/highlighter duo is gorgeous. The highlighter is a golden tone that won't make you look DEAD like other more iridescent highlighters. The gloss and pencil are OK, you likely have staples that are similar. The eyeliner is a bit greasy and the l/s is a bit...brown. It looks more pink in the pamphlet but applied very brown. All in all, a great core kit for those with a warmer skin tone.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/30/2003 4:27:00 PM More reviews by sjatlanta

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I saw this last night at Sephora and couldn't help picking it up. You get so much stuff for only $55. The eyeshadow trios are beautiful and very neurtral. But I can see how you can use them to build up a beautiful nightime eye as well. Lip pencil, stick and gloss are all nice. My only complaint is that the lip gloss doesn't stay on very well. I like it a bit more tacky so that it doesn't rub off the first time you have something to drink...or someone to kiss!
EDIT: Turns out the smashbox eyeshadows irritate my eyes. Kept blaming other products, but finally figured out it is the shadow. What a shame because this is a great basics set, but I had to take it back.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/18/2003 1:16:00 AM More reviews by Natasha21

This was my chance to finally try Smashbox products. I ordered this set from QVC and paid around $39 plus S&H. I have to say, I am overall pleased with it.
Here are the contents:

Smashing putty/midnight brown cream eyeliner duo--This is the first time I've used cream eyeliner. I like it, but I think I need to get a better brush for this product. The double-ended brush it came with sort of hurt when I used it. Putty is a light taupe color which was very subtle on me. Midnight brown is a wonderful dark brown that is great alternative to black which can sometimes look too harsh for daytime.

Smashing Cafe Latte Lip Pencil--This was okay for me. I heard it's similar to MAC's Spice lip pencil.
It did show up that well on my lips.

Smashing Improv Lipstick--This was my least favorite item. The lipstick(pink-beige neutral) was too light for my skin tone, and I don't like the way it smells.

Smashing Pixel Lipgloss--Again the color was too light on me. However, I did like the feel and texture (It wasn't tacky like lipglosses tend to be). I'll try other shades. I was hoping that it would have a nice vanilla scent like MAC lipglass.

Smashing Roll Film Eyeshadow Trio--light shimmer, fleshtone, golden-green. This was the more unusual of the two eyeshadow trios. I really love the colors.

Smashing Wide Angle Eyeshadow Trio--shimmery golden-beige, light gold, matte brown. This is a nice neutral eye palatte.

Smashing Warmth-Luminance blush/soft lights duo--This is my favorite item from this palatte. Warmth is a sort of a dusty rose blush and Luminance is a gold highlighter. I apply the warmth first to the apples of my cheeks. Then, I apply the luminance over the blush, on my temples, forehead, and chin. My fiance says that I have a nice warm glow when I use this.

I will definitely check out the upcoming Summer, Fall, and Winter sets.