September 1, 2014 | 1993 users online

Fragrances - Diptyque - Oyedo

rated 2 of 5 on 3/31/2014 8:16:00 AM More reviews by shrokia

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I tried Oyedo at a Diptyque boutique and decided to take a sample home. Diptyque describes it as a take on Japanese citrus fruits with hints of thyme on ocean shoresWhen sprayed on the body the main notes are all citrus, but a sweet citrus, not acidic and even a small hint of citrus flowers somewhere, but I get no thyme or ocean breezes. Its a pleasant scent but is a disappointment compared to the other Diptyque fragrances I own and have tried. The citrus smell is almost candy like, in a good and bad way. I like the candied sweet citrus smell but it isn't something I would use, it reminds me of scratch and sniff orange or the smell of Runts candies. Oyedo is also painfully weak, it's almost a joke at how quickly it wears off. Within an hour there's only a faint hint of it left. Sooner than later Oyedo will be one of those Diptyque fragrances to retire and never be seen again. I give it a 2 overall since it's not a terrible smell, a 1 on price since its staying power is a joke and a ripoff, and 3 on packaging since Diptyque's spray caps fall off easily.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/15/2013 9:19:00 PM More reviews by rena10

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have tried this more than twice. The first time ..it was a burst of opening a garden full of non ripe lemon,lime,and orange peels..all grinded together in the sunny summer muggy air....so it was quite fresh at first..then it morphed into a super synthetic citrus chemical bug spray and fake lemon candies ....then fast forward...tried again...lemon floor cleaner with no great after fresh smell...just stale fake lemon... over priced and not something i will wear..not even in summer.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/15/2013 2:07:00 PM More reviews by ayala

Oyédo is a play on the ancient name for Japan’s buzzing and modern Tokyo (formerly Yedo or Edo); but it smells like nothing old or arcane at all. Over-the-top citrus note of yuzu is at the centre of this modern citrus composition, which creates a very surprising reaction for anyone who's never experienced the fruit before.

Yuzu (Citrus junos) is a Japanese citron with an intense grapefruit type of smell, a surprising strength and unmistakable personality. It is the epitome of citrus, yet is like no other citrus. It has an intense sweetness as well, and adds an impressive entrance to any perfume it accompanies, calling for attention and adding a rare component: a sense of humour in perfumery. In this perfume, the sulfuric characteristics yuzu and it’s intense acidity is exemplified rather than softened. As a result, Oyédo is abstract, almost disturbing uber-citrus.

Oyédo opens with a burst of overt yuzu, accompanied by no less prominent than the floral and almost sickeningly sweet clementine and mandarin of the yellow variety, and a balancing act of harsh peppermint; the dry, peppery kind that is almost too spicy to handle, adding a burning sensation to the tingling of the skin. Another surprising aromatic component, with a hint of spiciness and an almost fruity finish is thyme, which gives the scent an odd Mediterranean reference.

At the heart of Oyédo, yuzu calms down only slightly, and melds with sweet orange mellows the impressive opening only ever so slightly. Peppermint continues to tingle, and yuzu reveals, true to form, its more humble citrusy personality - juicy pulp and aromatic pith underneath the bumpy zest.

The shelf life of this uber-citrus is a bit longer than you’d expect from most eaux de cologne. Oyédo remains citrusy, aromatic and zesty for quite some time. Then it reveals subtle, smooth and suave woods: sandalwood, Japanese cypress (hinoki), creating a very clean finish - later turning into musky raspberry drydown.

Top notes: Grapefruit, Peppermint, Clementine
Heart notes: Yuzu, Yellow Mandarin, Sweet Orange, Thyme
Base notes: Sandalwood, Hinoki, Musk, Raspberry

rated 3 of 5 on 10/3/2013 3:36:00 PM More reviews by rhiannon_chiana

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

If you've been waiting for Demeter to make a Hall's Cough Drops PMU spray, Oyedo should tide you over nicely, because it smells exactly the way a Hall's tastes. I don't really know what to rate it because it doesn't smell bad, but I would not personally buy a bottle, so I just gave it a 3.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 8/14/2013 5:18:00 PM More reviews by izzybella

I liked the Oyedo candle better than the fragrance version. I don't think the two smell anything alike. The candle is much more citrus-y/grapefruit, while the fragrance is almost mentholated and I didn't smell the citrus at all.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 5/16/2013 6:21:00 PM More reviews by Melloney

First off I will say that so far I have not had much luck with Diptyque which disappoints me greatly . There is some aromachemical they use which seems to run thorugh a lot of their scents which doesn't agree with me and my nose. L'Ombre dans L'eau has it and so does Oyedo .
Oyedo is fizzy minty and herbal scent .Be warned that the first half an hour of this scent will either blow you away or blow you off it completely. In that first half hour, the mint is extreme, the citrus and yuzu and God Knows What else is nose and sinus clearing . it is similar to breathing in one of those mentholated lemon mint herbal drops. Then the scent calms down , becomes subtle but it is quite a linear fragrance- always citrussy and minty .
I do not like this one aromachemical I can detect in Oyedo - it is close to sickening for me - just like in L'Ombre dans L'eau .
If you love mentholated minty herbally citrussy scent- then you will like this but definitely test it out first.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/9/2013 3:58:00 PM More reviews by birdyb

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This is my new favorite perfume. Given to me by a friend (who also gave me route de te and my favorite lavender antiheros), I've worn almost nothing else since Christmas. I love the crisp citrus with the deep cedar undertones. Men and women both have commented on how much they love it, and how they don't notice it until they're in my personal space, which is exactly how I feel perfume should be- not overpowering. Unlike most citrus perfumes I've worn, this one lasts a nice long time.
I love it, love it, love it.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/21/2012 3:34:00 AM More reviews by nmnikki

Age: Unknown Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Blue

Don't know if they make it anymore, but this scent is great! Better for fall/winter that spring/summer but doable. IMO it smells like a dry orange soda ;-)

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/23/2010 12:52:00 AM More reviews by brookebaird

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium Eyes: Green

I've been waiting for a hot summer day to try out a few citrus scents. My HG citrus scent AG Eau d'Hadrien has been reformulated and now smells like a shadow of it former self. Where is the citrus? (Thank goodness Dior Eau Savage and the Guerlain colognes are still great and usually are go-to office scents).
My challenge - find a great citrus scent that will hold up to the heat, last longer than 5 hours, and smell new to me. Here comes Oyedo. This is lime, more lime, some orange, and something odd (maybe turpentine or gasoline). I know it sounds dreadful but it's just great. A must try if you find yourself near their boutique.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/15/2010 12:02:00 PM More reviews by proximitythe53rd

Oyedo is like a giant sunny hit of cheerfulness. It's bright, citrusy (mostly grapefruit, especially in the opening), it's sugary, but I don't find it over-sweet, and fruity and orangey as well. It's happy, magnetic, bright, and joyful. The composition's genius, in my opinion, are the hints of mint and thyme that just cool the whole thing down, and rein it in slightly, keeping it from being generic, smelling pre-teen, and tips it to the good side of the line between "youthful" and "young". Oyedo sparkles, it smells like a drink that you'd love to be handed in Spring or Summer, when it's hot and you need refreshing. The tartness of the citrus is more than balanced out by the sweetness.
Oyedo isn't fundamentally "me", and it's not something I'm going to feel like wearing constantly, but it's an excellent pick-me-up. I was surprised by how uplifting and truly enjoyable, and even strangely soothing I found it.

If you're sampling this, do wait to get past the opening blast, the fragrance does become more refined and complex if you let it develop a bit. Smell for that mint and thyme, and I think you'll agree that it's excellently put together. I feel energized when I wear Oyedo, which is great - I'm not the most energetic, bouncy, happy person, but we all need a pick-me-up!