April 24, 2014 | 1875 users online

Hair - Almond Oil

rated 5 of 5 on 3/3/2014 2:26:00 AM More reviews by nanaknickers

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Sweet almond oil is my favorite natural oil! I use it the following ways:
1. pre-shampoo treatment
2.makeup remover
3.face serum
4.cuticle oil
5. "booster" for conditioners
6.hair styling

It's super versatile and I prefer it over coconut, olive, grapeseed, and jojoba oil.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/1/2014 3:20:00 PM More reviews by frostygrrl

I have never been happier with such a basic product. I originally bought this to use as a moisturizer but I soon forgot about it in a drawer. I've been growing my hair out and it's really damaged at the ends from coloring and heat styling. Even after I had a cut, the ends are just so dry and my hair is thick and tends to be coarse as well. I remembered I had the almond oil sitting in my drawer and put it on the ends and left it in a bun overnight. I really, really love this stuff. It washes out really easily (unlike coconut oil-- I had to wash my hair a few times to get it all out and my hair still felt heavy) and it makes my hair super soft and sleek feeling. Actually, it's a really good way to get "second day hair" even if you've just washed it. It absorbs quickly and easily and my hair actually looks healthy now. All you have to do is experiment with the amount a little. I've been using more than I thought I would, but the bottle I have will still last me at least 6 months or so. It doesn't weigh my hair down at all-- such a good thing, since my hair is thick and heavy as it is. I can run my fingers through it all day without getting caught up in dry, tangled hair. I've been using it twice a day-- once my hair is dry, as a finisher to smooth and keep frizz down, and then after work once I'm settled at home, I put more in and throw it up and let it sit for the rest of the day and overnight and wash as usual the next morning. I've noticed that even after a wash, while the hair is wet, it still feels soft and sleek. I have a 4 oz bottle of the NOW brand I got from a health foods store for under $5, so it's super cheap and definitely worth a try if you're trying to repair damaged hair. I absolutely love this oil and I'll continue to use it. Definitely a HG product for me.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/24/2014 12:06:00 AM More reviews by ferosferio

This is my favorite oil for my super sensitive and dry skin. I use it day and night and my skin drank it all up. I love that it's not fast absorbing like jojoba oil so it stay longer on my skin, it's more gentle than jojoba oil, and work as well as jojoba oil.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/16/2013 2:56:00 PM More reviews by MsLove

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Other, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

I purchase Almond Oil in bulk on eBay. Then I transfer it into a clean color applicator bottle or the twist top applicator bottles that are sold at Bed bath & Beyond for about $1. The oil can be heated at any time by placing in a bowl of hot water for a few minutes before using as a treatment. My favorite ways to use:

1 - PRE-SHAMPOO OIL - Apply to scalp, massage in and down lengths of hair concentrating on ends. Place conditioning cap on and hot towel and let penetrait before shampooing. Reduces harsh effect of sulfate shampoos. Using it as a hot oil on your scalp helps prevent dryness, dandruff and flaking, especially in the winter. Doesn't buildup.

2 -HAIR OIL: After hair is styled, use to smooth. Little is needed, too much will make hair lose movement. Alternatively, you can use for sealing ends of hair and helping prevent drying out especially during winter time. Can also be used to "baggy" ends of hair.

3 - CONDITIONER - Apply about 5 drops into bottle of your favorite moisturizing conditioner during winter time to increase moisturizing properties of the conditioner.

4 - NAILS - Use as a cuticle oil before bedtime or when doing at-home manicures before pushing cuticles back.

5 - BATH - Add to bath water to soften skin while in water.

6 - SKIN - Add to lotion or apply to skin dry for hydration. Isn't sticky and absorbs well.

7 - FACE - Use as a face oil to moisturize in evening time, or after a chemical peel

8 - COOKING - Its also great as an oil for salad dressings, and this is an oil that will work well at high heat so is also great for sautéing vegetables. It can be substituted for butter in most recipes for a healthier alternative.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/14/2012 10:47:00 AM More reviews by anonyym

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

the absolute best eye-makeup remover I've EVER tried! I insist on using this, and I really hate when I sleep at a friend´s house whom dosen't use it, and use normal makeup-remover..
I'm in love with my almond oil <3 I think it makes my lashes a little longer and thicker :-D

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/26/2012 1:42:00 PM More reviews by chayaNY

I just recenly posted my review for Sweet Almond Oil under a more general listing, not one specifically for hair. I have drier hair than is imaginable because I have a medical condition that kills off all my moisture glands. No product, man made nor natural, can replicate the oils/moisture, the body normall produces when working properly. I had oily hair when younger but now its bone dry. I experience a ton of breakage, hair fall out, my once thick lustrous hair is, without a lot of intervention, akin to a tumbleweed only less attractive. I love castor oil as it adds strength to my hair and used pre wash, I lose so much less hair its astounding! However while I like the shine it imparts, the viscosity is rather like molasses. Its too heavy to even attempt to use it post conditioning when I still need the benefit of an oil even if using other styling products/leave ins.

Almond oil is an oil too but nowhere near as oily as say olive oil, nor as thick. Its light years away in viscosity from castor oil. Its fluid yet not greasy. Its not a dry oil per se, but drier than most so it can be used to add a bit of sheen and life to drier hair while not leaving it greasy. Of course the amt must still be scant, with oils you can always add more but once you have made your head look like the bottom of a roast pan, not so easy to fix that so fast.

A little AO can be added to conditioners to amp the moisture and hair won't be greasy if again, you add say a capful or two at most, to a full bottle. After washing I can apply a little of this to wet hair almost like a serum, to cut down on frizz and fly aways when air drying. It also works really well, a little between your palms, then smoothed on to make a bun loon smoother, a pony tail look less ratty if like me your dry hair is such you stay away from hungry horses, this light oil may fill a niche for you. It has so many skin/ hair uses and a little goes a long way. I can and do use shine sprays but many only offer superficial benefits. Some also look insanely greasy as well. With an oil the moisturization is there along with a bit of gleam and I'm all about the health of my hair. I've only been using this for a few weeks and will update if my thoughts on this change. But if you are lloking for a light, odorless, oil that has various beauty uses, this may be worth trying for you. For the record, I love coconut oil on my body, to help remove self tanner, in cooking etc, but its too emoilient for my hair. My hair is very pourous and absors that and evoo too, like mad, and absorbs way too much. Even using scant amounts I have to wash repeatedly, negating the benefits of the oil for me. AO also helps make the castor oil more easy to spread and distribute through hair and as a pre wash simply does just that but hair rinses clean. I have the NOW brand and have not tried any other.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/26/2012 1:06:00 PM More reviews by laurentate

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

I've been using almond oil for over a month and I will always keep some on hand! It's even better than coconut oil for me. Almond oil isn't as greasy and I can use it on my face.
Here's how I use it:
Face - I use it mixed 1:1 with sunflower oil for the OCM. Amazing. I also put it on as a moisturizer. Makes my skin glowy and smooth. Heals my lips too. Has removed my black circles almost completely. My eyelashes are stronger and maybe a tad longer.
Body - I mix with jojoba and sunflower oil and jasmine essential oil in a spray bottle and use as an overall body moisturizer. Soaks in within 2-3 minutes. Tops. I even put this stuff on my feet after scrubbing with a metal grater thing in the shower and follow up with a heavy Shea lotion and socks. I mix this in with my homemade shaving cream and it's perfect.
Hair - I have to be very careful but I put about a drop in my hands and smooth over my ends and flyaways after straightening. It makes my hair feel like silk.
I really can't think of any negatives for AO except the containers. I bought a simple decanter off amazon and put my mix for skin in it. Looks pretty on my counter. The original push top plastic is messy and wasteful.
It did take about 2 weeks for my skin to adjust but I'm never going without this oil again. I can kind of smell it a little but it does go away. It's like a nutty smell. It doesn't bother me though.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/18/2012 9:04:00 AM More reviews by Vickybliss

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Curly, Other Eyes: Brown

My go-to oil for multi-purpose beautifying. I use it to condition my hair before shampooing, as a moisturizer for my legs after shaving, and as an eye makeup remover. No scent for me, I use the NOW brand. Fairly cheap and economical. Love using one ingredient products for a simplified beauty routine.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/15/2012 5:00:00 PM More reviews by geraldin13

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

i just love this its feel so soft. i apply this on everything my face my body, when my hair its too dry i apply 3 drops and thats it. i would recommend this to everyone

rated 5 of 5 on 7/1/2012 6:10:00 AM More reviews by fazli

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Great for dandruff and a nice moisturizer.

I have used it for my and my boyfriend's hair. He had quite of dandruff and oily hair. After a massage into hair scalp and overnight stay it was free of dandruff, non-oily and soft.

Gave nice appearance to my hair as well, though I usually do not have problems with it.

I heard it is great for hair-loss but can't say anything for that. That's supposed to be its main purpose though...