October 2, 2014 | 1725 users online

Top/Base Coats - Orly - Ridge Filler

rated 1 of 5 on 10/29/2012 5:04:00 AM More reviews by hudi7

Don't rate this product at all, doesn't really make any difference to the ridges and cant see any benefit using it

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/26/2012 7:56:00 PM More reviews by Cailee

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

Hmmm, I'm on the fence about repurchasing this, since I've used up almost half my bottle. I can't really speak on the performance of this as a ridge filler, since I don't have any (despite minor chipping on both my thumbnail tips as a long term result of peeling off my shellac manicure a couple months ago; boo on shellac!). And I REALLY don't think it should be marketed as a stand-alone base coat. This just doesn't cut it in regards to that, hence the three lippies. I apply two thin coats of this on bare nails, and THEN wait for it to dry and apply my Orly Bonder rubberized base coat (which I absolutely love).

This applies rather streaky, so I find two coats absolutely necessary. All in all, I just see this as a good stain-preventing primer for the nails. I also find this to be rather AMAZING when working with sheer, paler colors, because it blanks out the nail beds and tips, so whatever sheer color you put on top of this will look more opaque and true to color in less coats (same goes for neon polishes as well). I've had my bottle for about a year now, and the formula's running a little on the thick, goopy side, but I digress. I do like this product to an extent, but it still gets a mediocre rating because it doesn't really do what it's marketed to do. I still have to use another base coat with it to get optimal results with my manicure.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/7/2011 2:17:00 PM More reviews by sll74

this does an excellent job at keeping your nails from staining. for me it helps fill in ridges but mine aren't super deep. i like that i can usually apply only one coat of color with this instead of 2 or more coats. on the down side i'm only about halfway through the bottle and it does seem thicker and harder to work with now but in general i like having white nails as a base to apply my nail color. i will try the orly nail defense to see how i like that one though. i'm all about nail health and i do feel this helps my nails not be so dry.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 3/25/2011 10:40:00 AM More reviews by nikki5

I am there with the gals that said this ridgefiller needs a ridgefiller. Horrid application. I have more of a problem with horizontal ridges (thumbnails are the worst) and I feel this product is more of a ridge highlighter than filler. I love Orly's polishes and ran out of my OPI filler so figured would give this a go...BAD idea. It applies so unbelievably streaky. I love sheer polishes and no way in heck are you going to get an even application with anything remotely sheer. I tried under a color too just to be fair and it was also dreadful to apply. My CND stickey base coat hides my ridges better than this goop. Definitely do not recommend this product.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/12/2011 9:36:00 AM More reviews by esmeralda1977

I would definitely buy this again!
Pro's:
-Creates a perfect smooth surface for my nail polish
-Fills ridges
-My polish lasts for one week with minimal chipping on the nailtips on day 6 which has never happened before (I always use base coat, 2 coats of polish and a clear top coat)
-Perfect for opaque polish
-strenghtend my nails (The sales woman told me that it contains porcelain but I don't know if that's true) even better than Revlons Post Trauma Basecoat Con's:
-There is definitely a little bit of streaking going on
-wouldn't use this for french manicure because you will probably see slight (!)white streaks underneath
-not suitable for transparent polishes (I use Revlons Post Trauma instead)

HG base coat for me. I just don't understand why it has to contain white pigment that has an uncontrollable streaking effect.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/28/2010 4:11:00 AM More reviews by Pamda

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

I bought this as a gift for my mother who has more ridges in her nails then a bag of ruffles. Well with this stuff on her nails look smooth. She is now in love with this stuff. She wears it with polish or alone and she tells me that she has had slightly less breakage since.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/11/2010 10:50:00 PM More reviews by juicy70

I love this product for both manis and pedis. It's a godsend to make my splitting, peeling nails look half-decent under polish. I also have bad ridges on my toenails and this basecoat really helps. Makes polish last longer. I'm not sure about the complaints of it being white, mine is white in the bottle but dries to a silky matte finish I can wear alone if I wish. It does a great job of making half-peeled-down nails look normal. Love that Orly also makes it available in a smaller bottle (9ml) - less waste.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/20/2010 12:16:00 AM More reviews by Kotone

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Orly's RidgeFiller Base Coat works pretty well for me. I wanted a base coat that would protect my nails from staining and fill in ridges. I've been using it for 2 weeks and my stained nails are growing out and I haven't experienced any additional staining. It also does a good job of smoothing out ridges. The colour isn't a problem for me..if you apply one or two coats it dries to a milky white colour, almost completely clear. So far I am pleased with this base coat and will continue to use it.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/19/2010 2:45:00 AM More reviews by alyssa18o6

I've been using this for over a year, and i'm on my second bottle. I love this stuff because I tend to fall victim of wanting acrylics for ohh about a week, then need something to tend to the horrible ridges in my nails. This makes my nails look so smooth. I don't know what other reviewers are talking about the product being white. Mine is sheer and i've had no problems with that. My only little complaint is once I get like 75% through the bottle the product gets kinda thick. The price isn't bad as I get this at Sally's and get a discount with my club card. I tried Nailtek once cause Sally's was out of this and it was horrible. I'll stick to my Orly products from now on :)

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 2/26/2010 9:34:00 AM More reviews by Jill70

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

Yuck. Thick, stark white & streaky. Add one more person who thinks this ridge filler needs a ridge filler. (Shelled out the few extra $ for Nailtek II & it was worth it.)