October 24, 2014 | 973 users online

Fragrances - Diptyque - L Ombre Dans L Eau

rated 1 of 5 on 7/6/2014 7:26:00 PM More reviews by daisydaisys

Really sweet and really fruity. Smells cheaper than it is. I blind bought it and now really wish Id tried it in a shop first...

rated 5 of 5 on 4/11/2014 4:32:00 PM More reviews by fionarocks

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

This stuff puts me in a happy place instantly. Jaw droppingly gorgeous scent. The tomato notes and hint of dirt and rose blow me away. And the packaging is so posh.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/23/2014 10:34:00 AM More reviews by TinkerbellonCrack

L'Ombre Dans L'eau ("Shadow in the water") was named for the reflection of the blackcurrant bush upon a tranquil pool and that epitomizes this scent. It opens with a very cold, icy burst of rose and lots of greenery. Those who have entered a forest after the rain know this fragrance well. Gradually the blackcurrant leaves come out along with some cassis. While all diptyque scents are unisex, I truly find this to be very masculine (which is not necessarily a bad thing, I wear some men's scents) and much too green for my tastes. While I would not wear it, I find L'Ombre to be a very beautiful blend of notes and yes, if you love the Baies candle, this is essentially the same scent.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/23/2013 3:48:00 PM More reviews by pennypencil

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Kinky, Medium Eyes: Blue

This is one of my most favourite ever rose fragrances, and one of my favourite fragrances full stop. It's a poetic, green, juicy, leafy, glorious scent that has never stopped moving me with every sniff. I wore it to the ballet once - taken by a boyfriend. We stayed at the house of one of his affluent friends; it was a white guest room. The bathrooms were marbled and the whole ceilings rained with warm shower water, and before we left I sprayed my sample of L'Ombre dans L'eau and bottled that night.

Somehow, though I was in the audience rather than a dancer, I feel like this is a scent for ballerinas. Ballerinas who also write love letters and carry books on architecture in Cambridge satchels.

Of the notes, rose is most prominent. I don't mean to speak in cliches but many parfumers aspire to create the scent of water on velvety petals, and here that's been achieved. The secret garden theme continues with a sappy stem thrown in the mix, plus crushed black currant leaves.

L'Ombre dans l'eau is a Spring scent. Good all year around, but it encapsulates Spring. It's hard to believe this was created in 1983, when it retains such timelessness.

7 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/20/2013 4:21:00 PM More reviews by izzybella

I wanted so much for this to work on me because the air around me smells good after I spritz this on, but it smells horrible once it touches my skin. It's decidedly masculine and cologne-like, and loses all the rose and blackcurrant notes it's supposed to have. It also fades quickly. So, I guess I'm going to have to use up my sample as a room spray... sigh.

rated 2 of 5 on 7/8/2013 2:53:00 AM More reviews by CaroSaid

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Okay, I ordered this online fully expecting it to live up to its stellar reviews. Being madly in love with Eau Duelle, I was certain that I could not go wrong with Dyptique. How mind numbingly stupid. Whilst perusing Neiman Marcus, I came across the entire Dyptique collection. L'Ombre Dans L'Eau was interesting and intense right out of the bottle, however, it didn't take long for me to realize that it was not anything close to what I'd been hoping for. Cloying doesn't even begin to describe it; it was like being punched in the face with a bowl of potpourri straight out of 1980's excess. Hell. No. As others have commented, I could totally see this as an amazing candle, room spray or even a bath gel. However, this is simply too much for a fragrance, unless the idea is to completely assault surrounding company, or beat your sense of smell into a flat lined submission.

I ran home and cancelled the order. Months later, I'm still trying to get that refund...

rated 4 of 5 on 5/6/2013 4:25:00 PM More reviews by surrealkitten

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

As a bath gel, this drives me wild. It is stridently green, the smell of shoving your face into crushed stems. Its simplicity and radiance makes it a little "in your face" for perfume. Get the bath gel instead, for a wonderful twist on the "envigorating morning shower".

rated 5 of 5 on 2/5/2013 12:42:00 AM More reviews by chessablue

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I love this how this uses rose and green scents in a dark, sexy, modern and still utterly feminine way. I especially love the magnetic bakelite travel atomizer.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/15/2012 9:23:00 AM More reviews by deuxbisous

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Like a lot of the other reviewers, I first came to this via the Baies candle. I have had an on again/off again love affair with this fragrance. I don't know if my nose has changed or the EDT has been reformulated when they changed the bottle and came out with the EDP, but I prefer it now and have been wearing it for several days straight with none of the previous side-effects I had experienced - namely finding it cloying and headache-inducing. No problems this time around. I am finding what I can only describe as a carnation note in it, which I don't remember. It reminds me of LV Donna, which I think is a rose and carnation blend. I never had this impression in the past. It still has the sharp green tomato leaf/grapefruit opening, but the rosey heart seems to appear much more quickly and take over, and then it's that with the juicy blackcurrant for hours on end. I went out to test the new EDP (which they didn't have where I went) and wound up purchasing the EDT and roll-on parfum. The parfum is definitely less sharp and melds with the skin nicely, but there really is no sillage with it. It's for those who are going to lean in close. The EDT has amazing sillage and I find two spritzes is more than enough. I am not thrilled with the new bottle, which is big and kind of hard to hold when spraying. The image on the back of the label is nice, but they could have added that and kept the size and shape of the old bottles.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/11/2012 1:03:00 PM More reviews by miele2007

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I am a huge Diptique candle fanatic. Baies and Tuberose are my candles of choice, and yet, I had never been moved to buy a bottle of L'Ombre Dans L'Eau before (the perfume counterpart to Baies.) Recently, on a trip to SpaceNK, I noticed an oil based, rollerball version of LOdL . I swiped some on and the beloved, gorgeous scent of Baies wafted off of me. Baies smells of succulent rose petals and blackcurrant berries, yet, the EdT of Dans L Eau had a sharp, green note that reminded me of a freshly torn tomato leaf. This new oil incarnation of L'Ombre Dan L'eau had the candles sweeter blend. I bought and have been wearing it ever since - overjoyed to be surrounded by a treasured scent beyond my home.