December 17, 2014 | 1711 users online

Lip Gloss - Smashbox - Be Legendary long-wearing lip laquer

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/14/2014 11:15:00 AM More reviews by beautyjunkie2012

Its a very interesting formula. I received a deluxe sample of the shade coral. On my pigmented lips it intially showed up as a pinky coral (leaning more on the coral side) but after about 20 minutes of wear it reverted to a very warm pink. Pretty shade but pink is not the shade I wanted in a lippie called coral. It translates well on my lips and is somewhat opaque. The texture is just fine with no discerning flavor or fragrance. Nor does it feel irritating. I will definitely go full-size with this particular shade but have zero plans on investigating other shades.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/12/2014 11:10:00 AM More reviews by Lomelindi

I got a small version of this in the color Coral as a 100 pt perk from Sephora. I don't know how much it costs normally or how much product is in the full size.

First thing I noticed was that the color wasn't so much 'coral' as it was a soft, warm red that was much brighter than I was expecting. It's a very youthful color and flattering on my NC25/30 skin, so I have no real complaints.

The doe-foot applicator was easy to use and gave me a clean edge around my lips, which was fantastic. The formula itself was on the thick side and quite opaque, so I didn't need more than 1-2 swipes to get the full color. The finish was very glossy, but not wet-looking. It also stained my lips after a short time, so even when I wipe away the gloss, my lips are stained a bright coral.

I don't find this product drying, but I don't find it hydrating, either. It also tends to emphasize my lip creases when I first apply them, but I think it self-levels a bit and looks better after some time on your lips. I'm iffy on the formula and the rather bright, obvious finish, so I'm not sure if I'll buy a full-size of this or try another color.

rated 1 of 5 on 12/10/2014 8:41:00 PM More reviews by MUAsAlbino

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I can't think of a single product I've liked from Smashbox to be honest.

This lip gloss is no exception. For whatever reasons, I was so excited about this line launching that I put 4 in my cart. Luckily I stopped myself, & just bought one in the shade Rosewater. I only needed to wear it twice to know I'm returning it ASAP. It goes without saying that I will not be repurchasing.

In the tube, Rosewater looks like a light pink. Once applied to lips, it's a medium candy pink. And as the hours go by, it transforms into a hot pink. I am NC10 and naturally avoid bright unnatural colors due to the fact its very easy for me to look like a dragqueen. No thanks.

In addition to the shade being a disappointment, there's a few more flaws for me to whine about. The formula of this gloss is awful. I'm not sure if it's the applicators fault, but this applies really dry, thick, & streaky. To be fair it does have some moisturizing qualities after it settles on your lips. But that pro gets completely canceled out by the fact it settles into every line.

The last con I'll point out about Smashbox Be Legendary long-wearing lip laquer is the price. It was $24 for the tiny lipgloss tube I've ever had. This is literally travel sized. I would NOT mind that it's expensive, if it were halfway decent.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/9/2014 7:27:00 AM More reviews by valmont32677

I got this as a VIB rewards gift (in Coral) & I luv it! I don't normally pick Coral shades for myself so I got lucky on this shade being something I didn't really own many of, plus the price was right ("free" aka 100 VIB points), but I was expecting a bigger lipgloss tbh but this is nice coz it will fit in even the most impossibly small purse (like my white or my black baby Louis Vuittons!!), the color isn't super garish but it's a deviation from the nudes which are my normal wheelhouse colors. I am warm toned NC15 (not sure how accurate that is! I only buy lip products & eyeshadow off MAC), but I am warm toned that much I kno is true fwiw for reference & this looks lovely w a smoked out eye & benefit coralista blush/Hoola bronzer. This is an everyday shade for me because I like full on makeup, other ppl may be a bit intimidated to wear this is a conservative setting. I do a full face every single day (unless I am sick! Better be pretty freakin sick for me to skip makeup!!), so I am not afraid of color. I can't really compare the color to anything I own (sorry), I do a full face of makeup everyday sans falsies (coz wear glasses) & I have 2 other Smashbox products, a nice nude lipgloss (I don't recall color!) w black mascara in a very spiffy set & I like this brand & want to buy more of it but it's a bit cost prohibitive atm.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/19/2014 6:32:00 PM More reviews by snis

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I bought this in Bordeaux and IMHO is looks really nice on darker skin tones ( I am NC44). This is more than I normally pay for lipgloss and for that reason, I an not sure I can justify repurchasing it.

Pros: Creamy, rich color, you don't have to use a lot because of it is opaque not sheer., fairly good lasting power, but not all day as advertised.

Cons: Despite its opacity, I really feel you need a lipstick or lip liner underneath for a better stain. For the price, it should be larger - only .20 fl oz/6ml. There are cheaper brands that give you more product.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/5/2014 1:33:00 PM More reviews by kbugg

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

So far I'm loving this. As noted on beauty blogs, the creamy color you start out with changes to a deep stain/matte that shows up about an hour later. The colors can be tricky, so make sure to choose your color wisely b/c the final stain color can be very different. The color "Off Duty" I inintially tried on at Ulta - turned a neon sickly pinkish orange on my lips! Thank goodness I did not buy it. Do note, I don't think these colors are as "koolaid" colored as other stains from the past in other lines.

I ended up purchasing Calypso - it's a pretty peachy pink that fades to muted pink/peach stain without being too harsh - more true to the color than the others IMO. The stain you are left with wears evenly and looks great with a clear or pink gloss on top. Longevity is supurb - I've gotten about 4-5 hours of wear with the stain, even after eating.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 8/26/2014 1:30:00 AM More reviews by luluhalabaloo

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Got this is in Pink Social and After Dark. The Pink Social was in lieu of a lighter pink that I felt look like someone caught in the 80's. It was horrible. This seemed nicer, I wore it the rest of the day and it seemed ok. But when I applied it today without full makeup, yuck. The consitency is too thick, the color too garish, and it turned too dark pink on me, and I hated it. The After Dark made me look like I was one of those stained lips people in "Dune". Just messy. I don't like the formula, I find it gritty a big, and while it doesn't dry out my lips, it doesn't make them look better either. It just kind of sits there, and wanders a bit too. These are both going back.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/14/2014 1:20:00 PM More reviews by blairXwitch

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I bought Rosewater, since I love light pink lip shades and this one fit the bill. The lightest one, Pout, seemed way too white, so I passed. In retrospect, I probably should have bought that one, because one thing I didn't know - they majorly stain your lips and the color gets deeper, so if you want a product that stays on your lips the same shade it looks in the tube or right after you apply it, this is not it.

Rosewater looks like a pastel, light pink right after application, and the shade deepens as time goes on, on me it reaches a medium pink within an hour. It's glossy and looks great, I like all the shades it goes through till that point.

The surprise came after I ate. I was expecting to have nothing left on my lips, but when I looked in the mirror - I had pinky-red lips, As if I had just applied a matte lipstick! I can't say I'm a fan of that shade, I don't do red lips, but it's definitely better than the usual fuchsia that stains usually turn on me.

It is not drying, my lips with the stain left feel soft, and I can just apply a clear gloss and I'm good for the rest of the day.

I'm not a fan of the wand shape, I think it applies the product streaky, but it can be worked with and after smooshing lips together the product looks even.

I was hoping the term "long wearing" meant that the color stayed on the lips for a long time as is, but what it means in reality is that they leave a pigmented stain behind - which unfortunately is a different color than the one you originally applied lol.

I think I'll try Pout as well, in hopes the stain it leaves behind is a lighter pink, not red.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/11/2014 10:07:00 AM More reviews by atlantagal123

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I'm not usually a fan of lip gloss, as I hate the feel of it and it rubs off, but I gave this new lip gloss a try. LOVE IT! It feels very comfortable and nourishing. Of course it's very shiny; for me, I blot it after application to cut down on any excess as I don't like my long hair getting stuck on it. Well, this stuff actually stains your lips, so as time goes by, even though it may have lost some shine, your lips are still colored! Even after eating, I still had color on my lips! I love how my lips look- younger and sexy! (and I'm over 55!!!) This is a keeper for me!