November 23, 2014 | 1987 users online

Fragrances - Yves Saint Laurent - Rive Gauche

rated 4 of 5 on 7/22/2014 3:19:00 PM More reviews by BadWaitress

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Here is something you can do for fun: get samples of Rive Gauche, Ma Griffe (Carven), and Calandre (Paco Rabanne) and smell them all together. (Important safety tip: if there's a thunderstorm going on, make sure you wait until it's over, as having a terrified dog hiding under your desk panting stink-breath at you will in no way enhance your experiment.)

At first spray, Rive Gauche and Ma Griffe both come across with Green and Aldehydes. The difference is that Rive Gauche smells of aldehydes and green rose, whereas Ma Griffe (which, full disclosure, is one of my all-time favorites) smells like green aldehyde powder. At this point there is no comparison to Calandre, because right at the moment of application Calandre smells like soap bubbles. Pleasant, expensive soap bubbles.

But when the three of them dry down they are very VERY similar. Rive Gauche smells like sharp green powder, Ma Griffe smells like round white powder, and Calandre smells like slightly salty powder. Up to you to decide which you prefer.

I know the packaging is considered goundbreaking and very chic, but I personally think it's ugly. Take that for whatever it's worth.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/13/2013 1:21:00 PM More reviews by Brid1

I never liked this fragrance in the past! I sprayed it recently on a trip to Boots where I often try something that I have never tried before and for some reason this caught my eye. I was pleasantly surprised and will agree with another reviewer that it is what I wish Chanel 5 was. It is fresh and not cloying. Staying power is good and it has retained it's freshness yet at the same time having some depth. It reminds me of a remodelled fur coat, something that has been reincarnated into something better! Yum!

rated 1 of 5 on 1/25/2013 12:53:00 AM More reviews by mrgeebee

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

What on earth has L'oreal done to this perfume!
This new formula smells so bad that i gave it away.
Still have some of the older stuff [2 years ago]
which i am rationing out..The YSL brand is DOOMED.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 12/30/2012 6:21:00 AM More reviews by Meshmmesha772000

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I remember having "Rive Gauche " as a present back in 1994,I was a teen then and having an Yves Saint Laurent perfume was like having dreams come true ..but once I sprayed it I got sooooooooo disappointed , it's a very "artificial " scent ..In fact the bottle itself was a huge disappointment ! a Tin Can ..That's it . No luxury about it at all ...Some reviewers here mentioned , it was the older formula back then , and it has been improved to show its middle tone ..I am glad to hear that but won't look for it again ...I agree it has very "avant -garde " idea to it ..but I like pop -culture in music and films , not in fragrances that I would wear ...

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/3/2012 9:41:00 AM More reviews by danai

Ah the memories; my mom used to wear this a lot in the 80s, she even gave me an empty bottle to play with when I was a little, Barbie crazed kid. So just looking at the bottle makes my heart all warm.
That being said, this is a very strong scent which is indeed very 80s. This may be a good or bad thing, depending on your taste. I am not an 80s person unfortunately. The fashion, the makeup, the music, none of those elements that other people adore seems to do it for me. But if they do it for you, this may be your fragrance.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/2/2012 6:31:00 PM More reviews by glitteradi

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I always loved the name and the bottle of Rive Gauche, but when I tested it for the first time, it was way too sharp and bug spray on me. Then I tested it again, and now it is a beautiful, long lasting super elegant smelling fragrance, what I wanred Chanel 5 to be. Now I think Rive gauche has turned to more wearable fragrance and I am going to purchase it.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/30/2012 2:19:00 PM More reviews by flowerof59

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

Abs goregous...this is the perfume that the 'Lilly Marlaine' black velvet rose should smell like...as its the most beautiful rose ever created..& when I smell Rive Gauche this is what I see... I've just got the 100ml reformulated edp ..& its softer more lucious than the one I used to wear back in the 80's this is a reformulation for the better..hurrrah!! the metalic note that used to first dominate this fume has now gone ..for me this is a blessing as....as much as I loved the smell of Rive Gauche on other people... on me I had to get past that annoying metal smell for about a good hour before it started to smell like I wanted it to smell....now it does from start to finish...Love it and on me its the abs dupe to my Amouge Dia for women at 1/4 of the price....

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/29/2011 10:25:00 PM More reviews by Floradanica

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Blue

I still love this fragrance, although I prefer the original formulation. Still, it evokes classic French chic, understated elegance. Seductive without being obvious, never boring!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/3/2011 9:35:00 AM More reviews by LadyPenelope

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I met a guy last night who smelled divine. Turned out he was wearing the women's Rive Gauche without even knowing it was a women's scent.

Just wanted to suggest that the guys out there looking for something different might consider this.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/4/2011 11:21:00 PM More reviews by elfriede

Smelled promising at first--I began to see what Luca Turin meant by "the goddess Diana's bath soap." It does evoke a bar of white, rose-scented soap. Accented by a citrusy bite on top, greens, soft white flowers, synth sandalwood and musk, to my nose. And LOTS of aldehydes--soapy, powdery, very clean. Aldehydes diffuse the other notes like frosted glass. But whereas in Chamade, the other "powdery-white" aldehydic Turin compares this to, the drydown eventually reveals the tender charm of real flowers, woods, orris, vanilla--lovely, true naturals, melting into the skin--this smells synthetic throughout. It smells cheap, like a body spray, and gives me a stuffy nose! Ecch. The composition is very fine, but the execution smells cheap--at least in the current formulation.