Revlon Colorstay Makeup for Combination/Oily Skin

4.2

Active Ingredient: Titanium Dioxide (7.3%). Other Ingredients: Aqua ((Water) Eau), Cyclomethicone, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Butylene Glycol, Boron Nitride, Dimethicone, Sd Alcohol 40-B, Peg/Ppg-18/18 Dimethicone, Nylon-12, Tribehenin, Isododecane, Polyisobutene, Sodium Chloride, Cetyl Peg/Ppg-10/1 Dimethicone, Bisabolol, Serica ((Silk Powder) Poudre De Soie), Tocopheryl Acetate, Retinyl Palmitate, Malva Silvestris (Mallow) Extract, Lilium Candidum (Lily) Bulb Extract, Lactobacillus/Eriodictyon Californicum Ferment Extract, Cymbidium Grandiflorum Flower Extract, Serica (Silk), Alumina, Polydimethylsiloxane/Polymethylsilsesquioxane Copolymer, Ethylene Brassylate, Methicone, Trisiloxane, Sorbitan Sesquioleate, Tetrasodium Edta, Methylparaben, Propylparaben. May Contain: Mica (Ci 77019), Titanium Dioxide (Ci 77891), Iron Oxides (Ci 77491, 77492, 77499).

on 7/23/2015 8:32:00 PM

I love this put the packaging (no pump) and lack of warm/yellow shades is a let down.

I prefer this over the crap overrated MAC Studios Fix. I'm NC20-25ish and the closest is 'Golden Beige', it's a little dark but good for nights or you can fix it with heavy highlight/contouring.
Also, my shade is hard to find in the UK :/

on 7/23/2015 1:02:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

I. love. this. so. much. I have combination/normal skin, with it being oilier in the t-zone during the Summer months. This foundation is a dream. I just can't seem to find anything like it. It is thick, so I apply VERY sparingly on a kabuki brush. I don't have much to cover up on my skin so I try to just spread it on as thin as I can since it can feel a bit heavy if you build it up a lot. I just wear it for a more polished look when I have to work or go out. The finish is stunning in my opinion. It is semi matte, with just the teeniest bit of a glow in just the right places and the right amounts when I get a little oily. I top it off with a translucent powder from Airspun and I have seriously worn this from 8 am to 9 pm and had it look exactly the same at the end of the night as it did when I applied it. It has a very light paint like smell but it seems to go away and does not bother me one bit-and I do NOT like makeup that emits a scent as you wear it. I had 250 Fresh Beige to start with, but after self tanning I am in 300 Golden Beige. I feel like the undertone is sometimes a little more pink or peach than I would like depending on the light I am in. That may just be a shade problem though, and I can spend an hour in front of a foundation display looking at shades, so I'm kinda just like eh, screw it. I will definitely repurchase. Forever.

on 7/17/2015 10:13:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure

I have been purchasing this foundation (Combination/Oily Skin Only) pretty religiously for the last I don't know, 5 years maybe. I'm in the shade Caramel but they're not much range for brown skintone and I don't mix with the next shade up like some girls, which is Cappuccino because it has a red undertone.

My undertone is Yellow, like in their Caramel shade so I don't see the logic in mixing two foundations with completely different undertones. Plus, it's messy and comes out to about $20 and I might as well go for a department store product for that price just skip Starbucks for a week.

The Pro's about this foundation are obviously what kept me coming back. The first is the Formula. It FEELS good on my skin, its thick and creamy with a matte finish that doesn't feel sticky. It is the one DRUGSTORE foundation that has actually helped control my shine AND manage to give me a GLOW. Awesome. When it starts to fade, it looks natural and not like all my makeup just rubbed off my skin. This foundation is the closest I've come to shine control dependablity and lasting finish. I live in Las Vegas, NV where the summer has super high humidity and I catch several buses for a work commute.

Application: I moisturize my face, apply a primer and let that sit for a couple minutes. I typically alternated between using my fingers and a flat makeup brush to apply this foundation. It usually goes on pretty smooth. I would start in one area first because it is a STAYING foundation means it's going to dry fast and you don't want to put little dots of foundation all over your face and sacrifice not blending everything equally because you were trying to hurry before it dried.

Dispenser: THIS I hate. Its just an open jar basically and you have to shake it out onto your palm or palette, whatever. There is no pump and you can waste a lot of product. I would typically shake it and then immedialy open before the foundation settled to the bottom so I can just take product off the top without wasting it. I don't know why they haven't fixed it. But hey, its what's inside that matters.

Texture: Creamy, thick.

Is it REALLY 24 hours?
Eh, no. Honestly I don't know where the marketing for 24 hr foundations come from. Is it longlasting? Very. I have yet to use ANY foundation that lasts this long, except for Teint Idole Ultra 24H by Lancome ($46) which I am thinking of switching back to. I recently started using Mat Velvet by Make Up For Ever in shade 57 ($38) because its the best shade match I have ever found including undertone but it doesn't stay matte as long as the Colorstay so I will not be repurchasing especially for the price. I have purchased Teint Idole before but it was in the wrong undertone so I might try them again now that I know my correct shade/undertone, It's as close as I've come to loving a foundation as much as the Colorstay in finish and application and they have more shades. But the cost...

All in All I like this foundation and even find myself layering it atop the Make up Forever Mat Velvet as a subtle highlight. I wish MUFE Mat Velvet had this staying powder and luminous yet matte glow like Revlon, that's what you get when the undertone is awesome and it has a great matte finish without looking dry or cakey. I could even forego the powder sometimes or just get away with a translucent one.

I gave a 4 out 5 rating for the limited range of shades for brown skintones and their Packaging which causes you to waste a lot of product on your hand or use too much. That being said if they made one in my exact shade or two of the same yellow undertones that I could mix, I would definitely repurchase. It's still cheaper than Teint Idole and has a lasting coverage that other drugstore foundations should be envious of. I still find myself reaching for it.

on 7/17/2015 7:25:00 PM

I have very oily/acne prone skin with occasional dryness.

PROS:
-Medium, but very buildable, coverage
-Not cakey or heavy
-Semi-matte finnish
-Did not break me out or clog my pores
-Affordable
-I was able to find a shade that fit me very well (150 BUFF)

CONS:
-Bad packaging (glass bottle)
-Did not help control my oil too well, even when I used a setting powder
-After 3 hours the makeup started to break up around my nose, where I get oily the most

This makeup did not hold up on my skin, but then again I have terribly oily skin and foundations hardly ever hold up on my skin. But this makeup would be good for someone who does not have excessively oily skin like I do.

Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm

I have this in Sand Beige, which matches my NC25 skin pretty well, although it looks like Warm Beige might be even closer. It gives me good coverage and doesn't feel too heavy, and it's very buildable. The one thing I do hate about this foundation is the fact that it doesn't come with a pump! Sure you can buy separate ones that will fit it, but it should really come with one so you don't have to worry about wasting product.

on 3/28/2015 10:38:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

This is the gold standard of medium to full coverage makeup for oily skin. It is transfer-resistant, doesn't pool or cause oily creases on your skin, and controls oil throughout the day. The range of colors is pretty good. The price has creeped up to about $12 (average drugstore price) but it lasts a long time. The glass bottle has a wide neck which helps to get the product out of the bottle.
I'm an NC25-NC30 and I wear both 310 Warm Golden and 300 Golden Beige. I prefer the 300 Golden Beige. Toward the last 1/4 of the bottle, I store the bottle upside down to get all of it out. Have repurchased this many times, it's better than a lot of MAC or Clinique Foundations. Does not settle into fine lines around my eyes, which is a plus.

on 3/22/2015 2:52:00 PM

Eyes: Violet

I like this foundation really much, especially because it does not oxidize and lasts a long time. I blend it with my fingers and it is very easy to apply. I use the palest shade, Ivory, and I am very glade it does not darken which is a common problem with light shades especially. Also it does hold up well in high temperatures (with added powder, though).

Since we cannot comment on other reviews, I saw this comment in a previous text "I just hate anything that uses glass containers because it isn't biodegradable!" and I would like to add that glass actually is much easier to recycle than plastic; it can be melted again and used for new products (since this happens at a very high temperature, there won't be any bacteria surviving this). In contrast, plastic can only be recycled to lower-quality plastic, and biodegradation can take a long time (for containers which contain foundation products anyways, as you cannot use very thin plastic for it). It probably depends on the country you live in, but in many countries there are recycling places or containers for glass, so you can return the bottle there (for free), and in that case it would be a very environmentally friendly packaging.

on 3/18/2015 10:56:00 PM

I love this foundation. It has decent oil control, which is pretty important to me, as, after mid-day, my skin always starts to get a bit shiny from oil production, and Colorstay keeps it from getting obnoxious for a good 8 hours. Its full staying power goes to 12 or so before it begins dissipating. I also love the color selection--I'm incredibly pale, particularly around my neck and chest, and Colorstay in Ivory is the best match I've found. The coverage is great as well: when applied lightly, it's a high medium, and when built up, it reaches full. However, this does dry quickly, so layering can be a bit tricky, particularly for people with drier skins, as this is not a moisturizing foundation whatsoever. For me, this is my backup Ester Lauder Double Wear.

on 2/21/2015 11:08:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

It applies very smoothly, and is easy to blend in. It doesn't get cakey, or "stuck" before you are done blending. It has a very pleasant, very light scent to it as well. It is a medium to full coverage, even when I mixed it with my facial lotion, it still gave me a medium coverage. The finish is matte, with just a touch of the softest sheen, not at all glowing or shiny or greasy.
It claims to last 24 hours, but I wasn't about to test that out. Instead I put it through two hours of dance class in addition to wearing it all day. As the sweat started rolling down my face, I could feel the foundation on my face in a not so pleasant way. Not a deal-breaker, though. At the end of the day, if I dragged my finger across my face, the foundation actually pilled up and rolled off my skin in little balls, which was very strange. I think it had a lot to do with how much I sweat in ballet class. Still, not a deal-breaker if you don't plan on going through some intense physical activity in your day. And it didn't move as long as I didn't touch it, anyway. Especially for the price (I got mine at Target for $10), this is a great alternative to much more expensive department store brands. I put that I wouldn't buy it again, because for me this wasn't fabulous enough to keep me from trying a different kind when I run out. But still a great product!

on 2/10/2015 4:19:00 PM

I have just tried this once so far, and just wanted to mention that it looks really flaky on my skin, even when I used moisturizer first. This might have to do with me having combination skin that is very dry in the wintertime though, so I have bought the one for dry skin and will try that too.I'll update this as soon as I've tried it out more.