Maybelline The Nudes

3.5

on 8/29/2015 12:31:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I bought this with a little trepidation after hearing some pretty negative reviews about the product. Whilst these eye shadows may not be in the same league as the Urban Decay Naked palettes, I am really impressed by this little collection of neutral eyeshadows that should suit most people in terms of budget, quality and range of shades.

A lot of thought has been put into the shades included in the collections and how they are presented. There are suggested combinations on the back of the packaging for people like me who can be a bit baffled and overwhelmed when presented with such a big range of options. I have been playing about with this palette for just over a month now and while I have my favourites (there is a lovely bronze/gold shade in the bottom row that is quite good with my blue eyes) I have used all of the shades in the palette - including the scary (to me!) looking black shade.

I find they all last well during the day although I dos wear them with an eye primer - I use the Rimmel eye primer (the one in the white tube with the red lid). Most of the shades are well pigmented but one or two need an extra coaxing to show up. There is a very shimmery white colour right beside the black shade in the bottom row that needs a bit of work to get it to show up but this is also an advantage. I use this as a very subtle highlight in the inner corner of my eyes and to blend out the black shade.

I am very impressed by this product. It's affordable and very wearable with a very good range of shades which can be used to create very natural daytime looks and more dramatic evening looks as you prefer. I would buy this again a definitely recommend it to my friends. I also notice I can wear this eyeshadow quite comfortable with no irritation on my eyelids. I have quite crepy eyelids that are easily irritated by glittery or shimmery shadows.

on 8/27/2015 4:33:00 PM

I love this collection. I have the original nudes and the blushed. They are perfect for me because I don't wear makeup all the time and they give just a hint of color and shine.

on 8/20/2015 11:05:00 PM

I flipping love Maybelline, but I will go straight ahead and say this is not a stand out product.

The consistency of the shadows is a let down. Mattes - Chalky, takes forever to blend, and blends out to nothing (lighter shades), or patchy (darker shades). The three darkest shimmery shades are buttery smooth and great pigmentation and for this reason, I gave the palette 2 lipsticks. One for 3 pigmented shadows, the other for the compact packaging. For the reasons above, I find myself sitting there and spending 20 mins trying to complete a semi decent eye look. Do I have time to keep building up patchy areas at 8am in the morning? No. Do I have the patience for it? No way.
The colours are similar once they're on the eyes. You're better off buying a trio/quad from Wet N Wild. I have tried a bunch of their trios and also their Comfort Zone Palette - amazing pigment that lasts all day. These Maybelline eyeshadows fade throughout the day and end up fading into each other, looking a lot like 1 eyeshadow colour.

TOP ROW:
1 - Duo chrome shimmery beige with blue flecks - So damn sheer, I use this as an eyelid base colour as it adds complexity, due to the duo chrome, once other shades are applied on top.
2 - Satin light brown. Very sheer but workable as an 'eyelid but better' shade.
3 - Matte cream (roughly NC20) - I use this to set my under eye concealer... That's how sheer it is. I can see it working as a blending shade.
4 - PIGMENTED buttery golden brown - SO BEAUTIFUL! Imagine a more golden, slightly darker, version of Urban Decay's Smog.
5 - Matte grey concrete - again very sheer.. takes a while to build up in the crease - even then it doesn't blend out well. Similar to Urban Decay's Tease but tad less purple.
6 - Matte cocoa brown - sheer and patchy if blended (I use this shade and the previous shade mixed together for my eyebrows. No warm tones, works wonderfully!)

BOTTOM ROW
1 - PIGMENTED shimmery taupe brown with a hint of rose gold undertones.
2 - Warm matte brown - a little more pigmented compared to rest of matte shades. Patchy once blended though.
3 - PIGMENTED shimmery yellow gold - looks even better when applied wet.
4 - PIGMENTED shimmery dark chocolate - beautiful shade! So smooth.
5 - Pink-based champagne - this is a beautiful shade and I reach for it to liven up my inner corners. It isn't pigmented but isn't sheer. The texture is buttery. Intensity definitely needs water or Fix+
6 - Matte black - I think this is meant to be Maybelline's idea of a black shade. Nice try... it's a chalky patchy grey at most. I mix it with water or my clear brow gel to create a super pigmented black eyeliner. Works surprisingly well when used that way.

The 4th shades on the top and bottom row are easily the most pigmented shades. You would think Urban Decay made them. The rest of the palette, pigmentation wise? Eh - more to be desired, but they're workable. I have used this for 2 weeks and can say that once the top layer is worked through, the shades are smoother. Wouldn't repurchase though.

I snapped this up for $12AUD, normally it's $24 something at Priceline. $24!!!!!! You're better off buying Chi Chi eyeshadows. Otherwise, save up more for a Naked Palette or Make Up Geek eyeshadows - AMAZING.

TIP: If you've already made the mistake of purchasing this palette and can't return it (DAMN AUSTRALIA!). Try using the eyeshadows under a primer/MAC Paint Pots/Maybelline Colour Tattoos - I get better looks this way. No way near as patchy. Otherwise using the eyeshadows wet is your best bet.

TL,DR: Very disappointed. Matte shades need improvement. 4/12 shades are pigmented on my NC20 skin. The rest don't blend out to be much on the eyelids.

Considerando i pro e i contro, la reputo una buona palette. La posseggo ormai da quasi due mesi e posso dirmi soddisfatta dell'acquisto fatto. In Italia, purtroppo, non economica come all'estero (USA, UK), ma comunque affordabile.

La pigmentazione abbastanza buona, sia con il pennello asciutto che con il pennello bagnato. Alcuni colori sono pi sfumabili di altri (il marrone scuro, ad esempio, tende a fissarsi nel punto in cui per primo si posa il pennello ed abbastanza arduo da sfumare), ma in generale vale la pena investire in questa palette quei 10-15 euro. Al tatto le cialdine si presentano abbastanza burrose, fatta eccezione per la prima nella fila superiore (l'ombretto shimmer di colore bianco), in cui il mio polpastrello letteralmente affondato. Ottima per creare dei look per tutti i giorni, ma anche per osare qualcosa di pi drammatico la sera. Mediamente versatile.

on 8/19/2015 3:21:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I'm a huge fan of drug store brands and will be the first to say that you definitely can find drug store products that compete with high end. Unfortunately, this is not one of those products. I love Maybelline, but this palette is a total fail. The colors are beautiful but the texture, quality, and effectiveness are not even worth the plastic it came in.

Note: I used Urban Decay primer potion before applying the eye shadows.

The lighter disappear when put them on the lid. A few coats are needed for the shine to come through. I used the lighter colors on my lid and on the brow bone, but it didn't come through like it should have, so I applied at least three layers. The darker pigments DO NOT blend at all. I used one on top of a transition color (so that it wasn't directly sticking to the primer) and it just stayed in place. No matter how hard I tried to blend it out, it remained awkward and I looked like an amateur.

The good news: I still find use for it. I use the dark brown colors to fill in my eyebrows, for which they are perfect. The color isn't too intense and it stays in place (duh! because you can't blend them out).

Definitely a pass.

on 8/17/2015 2:12:00 PM

I just love it. Its so great. This is my best nude palettes that I use, and I use a lot of it. The colours, texture and pigmentation are everything that I was searching. Its long lasting when I fix it, and thats very important for me. I use it myself every day. I would buy it again.

on 8/1/2015 11:54:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

PROS
-affordable
-there's a guide in the back for beginners

CONS
-pigmentation is not that great, u have to wet ur brush
-not blendable, when u try to blend the eyeshadow u remove the shadow in the process

Overall this product if good people who are experimenting with eyeshadow colors, definitely would not recommend for someone who is looking for a good eyeshadow pallete

I was pretty happy with the selection of shades and the pigment pay off.

Most colours glided on smoothly and lasted well throughout out the day.

My complaints are minor: Personally I would have gotten more use out of the palette if it had more matte shades. My older eyelids weren't flattered by the most shimmery shadows.
I also felt that the directions on the back regarding which colours to put where were "wrong" in some cases.

Still feel this palette is universally flattering. If you don't already have something similar, definitely worth a try.

on 7/28/2015 8:49:00 AM

Don't waste this money. It a dupe for any naked palette. You want good cheap eyeshadows? Buy wet n wild quads. These colors are band and are mostly matte and un pigmented. The few shimmery shadows don't even look shimmery because of their chalkyness. Listen maybelline, if wet n wild can be cruelty free and offer some pretty pigmented shadows for under $2.99 why can't you offer a palette with bettwr quality shadows? Awful. The L'oreal La Palette is better, not the best but define they bettwr than this maybelline junk. I also tried the blushed palette and it was a little better, the coos were nicer but the pigmentation was worse than the dollar shadow quads at Dollar Tree lol

on 7/25/2015 12:05:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

This is a good all in one option depending on what you're looking for and if you can get it cheap enough.

TEXTURE:
10 sheer shades and 2 good pigmentation. Most are shimmery, a few with annoying glittery fallout. Most of the colors are patchy and difficult to blend, especially if you use the foam applicator they provide. Better with your own brushes. Nice quality for casual work situations or going out for a few hours. Wouldn't be my first choice for say 8 - 10 hours+ for a professional job like in a bank, school, or office. Its a bit patchy, shimmers fallout, and doesn't hold up to all day wear.

SHADE SELECTION:
Good mix. But repetition as its mostly all sheers and similar middle tones. I find myself supplementing the palette with a pale/creme shade and a very dark chocolate it needs to get a wider range of looks. That matt patchy sheer greyish black at the end is totally useless to me as its poorly pigmented and grey belongs to a smoky palette anyway not a nude one so it doesn't enhance this palette at all.

I have very fair skin and the colors show up well on me - deeper and mostly suitable for the evening. But medium+ toned ladies might be disappointed. On darker skin the shades don't show up well and mostly look all look the same - ie sheer shimmer and not much color.

PACKAGING:
Sleek and fits in a small makeup bag. Does not have a mirror, which I miss as I usually use the mirrored palettes to do my makeup in. Throw away the scratchy foam applicator brush and use your own. These eyeshadows need alot of blending and this particular applicator struggles with that. There is a nice long slot that you could slip in a couple of mini's or one longer travel brush if you prefer have your brushes right there to use on the go.

Popular Palettes