December 19, 2014 | 1500 users online

Palettes - Maybelline - The Nudes

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/12/2014 12:11:00 AM More reviews by PeggyA

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

I use this lovely and inexpensive palette to fill in my eye brows, which it does brilliantly. Occasionally I use the eye shadow colors on my eyes but only rarely. I mix mostly the medium-light matte shadows and they end up perfect for filling in my sparse eye brows. I love it and seeing as how little I use daily, I won't have to buy brow filler powder for a really long time.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/3/2014 5:42:00 PM More reviews by mellowkat55

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I was fortunate to receive this palette from a gift giveaway. I was excited to use the palette because of the many colours in it (12) and the number of combinations you can make with it. There aren't really any true mattes in this palette, but the ones that appear to be matte have the slightest hint of shimmer in them, which doesn't show up that much.

The ones that appear to be matte with a tiny bit of shimmer:
- peach
- light taupe
- chocolate brown
- a darker brown
- soft black

Shimmer:
- frosty white
- light taupe (which is pretty much similar to the one more matte)
- a slightly darker taupe
- gold
- light pink/peach

Metallic:
- copper
- chocolate brown

Most of the colours are hard to pick up with a brush, like with the other Maybelline eyeshadows. The easiest are the copper and gold colour, and those are definitely the winning colours in this palette. The hardest colours to pick up are the light shimmers, like the frosty white, and light pink/peach. The black is not a true black, it's more soft, which is good because it's not so harsh on the lids. It could be built up. The eyeshadows can become a bit patchy and hard to blend though, so try and use a primer underneath and try to blend well. The pigmentation is okay, and really good with the copper. One thing I like is that there isn't that much fallout, and that's probably due to the fact that they are harder in formula.

I like using the more matte light taupe for filling in my brows. I think this is a decent palette to bring with you if you want touchups, as the case is slim. It includes a dual ended sponge applicator as well.

Overall, it's an okay palette. I had fun experimenting with different looks with it. You don't have to run out and get it right away, and better to wait for a sale on it. I would recommend this palette for a beginner, or if you need some kind of neutral palette right away and don't have a lot to spend on. Alternatively, you can check out bh cosmetics palettes for less expensive neutral eyeshadow palettes.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 12/3/2014 3:40:00 PM More reviews by Ruby2003

I have been searching for a Nude Quad/Duo, SOMETHING. So when RiteAid had this 40% I Snoopy danced out the door thinking, "Jackpot" all these great colors for $6...my happiness was short lived when I started using the pallette and realized that although there are some really great options, there is NO STAYING POWER. Even using a Primer (UD Primer Potion or Monitstat) these colors really had to be worked up to even look like I had any on. When they said "The Nudes" they meant it. I am not overly critical and can usually look past flaws if there is a redeeming quality but there isn't anything here. I was hoping to find suitable replacements for some WNW Trios that are now DCD ( Belgian Chocolates for example) but not finding it here...

rated 5 of 5 on 11/29/2014 12:51:00 PM More reviews by scrapstitcher

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I finally got one of these about a month ago from Walgreens. I love how you get a nice variety of neutral eyeshadows all in one palette. I've been using it quite a bit and I really like the colors that I've been using so far. I don't use the sponge applicator that it came with, but rather a couple eye shadow brushes instead.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/19/2014 3:59:00 PM More reviews by linsm618

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

In this Nudes' Palette, there are 3 metallic, 5 mattes, and 4 slimmers eye shadows. As you can tell, there are a lot of neutral colors here. The amount of looks you can create are endless (although on the maybelline's site, claims that this palette can create 13 looks in palette). I didn't get the chance to buy this palette until there was 40% off sale for all Maybelline products at Rite Aid a few weeks ago. The eye shadows do not have a name. However, they are all numbered.

First off, I believe this is a great palette for those who are starting out with makeup. However, if you are going to compare the quality and pigmentation to Urban Decay's Naked Palettes, your hopes will not be so satisfied
The eye shadows are definitely easy to use. Some of them are smoother than others. And some of them aren't opaque enough.

As for the packaging, the 12 eye shadows are in a small plastic case and it has one cheap plastic applicator. It makes senses why drug store brands use plastic cases because of the price they are selling it at. One thing I really like is that it is travel friendly because it doesn't take up much space.

For pictures: check out my blog @ shesayswhoosh.blogspot.com

rated 4 of 5 on 11/13/2014 1:57:00 AM More reviews by Chanel1993

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I really love this palette it's a reasonable price the only thing is you have to use a eye primer to get really pigmented and to last all day but other then that love the color combos I can go day to night and it's so easy to throw In my makeup bag def recommend this product

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/11/2014 9:33:00 PM More reviews by beautyjunkie2012

I've had this palette for awhile so its given me a few months to truly see if its a worthy buy or a dud. For the amount of shades you get and the price-point...its a worthy buy. Especially if you're just starting out with makeup and not quite ready to jump on the UD Naked palette. There are some shades that are a challenge but if you have decent brushes then they are very workable. Applied over my NARS lid primer the shades do not translate well on my lids but if using a Maybelline or MAC paint pot then the shadows adhere better and much more vibrant. Overall I'm satisfied with the palette.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/11/2014 3:17:00 PM More reviews by Gossijay

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Dark, Neutral Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I am completely and totally new to the world of eyeshadow. I never even wore eyeshadow to prom, I just gave myself a graphic, coloured cat eye because I wanted to do my makeup myself but I didn't even know where to start with eyeshadow.

Everyone has been referring me to the ever expensive Naked Palettes or the Chocolate Bar palette but I wasn't sure if I was ready to sink sixty dollars into an eyeshadow palette when I know nothing about eyeshadow! Then the Maybelline Nudes palette entered the drugstore.

A lot of bloggers condemned this palette saying that its shadows were chalky and difficult to blend and sheer and what have you. I got really scared and decided to save my $10. Finally when I felt like I would die of curiosity I ended up buying it. I decided I'd play around with it until I was ready for something more expensive. Besides, I couldn't resist buying one of the biggest palettes out here in the Drugstore realm.

I was really shocked when I actually swatched this palette. The shades actually show up on my NW45 skin which is a miracle in itself. And the back has a lot of useful infographics that break the palette up into quads, trios and duos that all guide you on how to create 13 different looks and these looks actually look good! I'm not well versed at all at how to put together a look so I am endlessly thankful for that information on the back of the palette.

The shadows don't even feel chalky to me. Maybe it's because I haven't been spoiled by Urban Decay and all those other high end brands. I love the fact that a good portion (75%) of these shades play nicely with my skin tone. That's one of the reasons that I got turned off of some of the high end palettes, I felt like they were full of really pale shades that I could never use.

I enjoy the fact that I can build an eyeshadow look from beginning to end with this one palette. I wish I had this palette earlier in the year when I went travelling and needed nude eyes for special occasions.

In short: I really do like this palette because it fits the purpose that I want it for (figuring out the mechanics of eyeshadow) and I think that I'm going to get a lot of use out of it. This is a great, cheap gateway palette into the world of eyeshadow palettes and would be a valuable product for eyeshadow newbies. I really hope Maybelline (and the rest of the drugstore brands!) makes more of these lovely palettes. Wouldn't it be cool to see a rose gold drugstore palette a la Naked 3?

rated 2 of 5 on 11/3/2014 4:37:00 PM More reviews by scm240

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I just returned this pallette and it reinforced why, though I'm a primarily drugstore shopper, eyeshadow is something I spend money on.

When Maybelline was 40 percent off I picked this up. I loved every color and I saw myself using each one which almost never happens.

I don't even mind a somewhat drier texture, but these were not my favorite to blend. Maybe I'm spoiled by the likes of Lorac, IT cosmetics etc., but for me (and I would put myself in the "intermediate" skill level category) these were too hard to blend and some shades were very difficult to build color.

If you don't mind working harder for the same result and are on a budget I do highly recommend the product because there were some hits (even some good mattes!), but for my lifestyle (busy, can't spend time working to blend and build up color) and where eyeshadow application ranks in my routine (toward the bottom), it wasn't worth it for me.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/22/2014 12:12:00 AM More reviews by Dolly94

I absolutely love this palette, amazing color selections, even though some colors are patchy, but some are pigmented. Its only 10$ in Canada also depends where you buy it! I got mine for $6.96 from Shoppers drug mart on sale 😃