October 21, 2014 | 2015 users online

Palettes - Maybelline - The Nudes

rated 5 of 5 on 10/21/2014 12:45:00 AM More reviews by Meercedes

These eyeshadow selections are amazing! You can go from a natural day time look to a full on dramatic night time look the best part is these shadows are pretty pigmented . For 10$ that's a deal !

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/17/2014 3:27:00 PM More reviews by snowshoe73

If you already own a high-end nude eyeshadow palette such as LORAC, Stila, It, TF, UD, etc., then you will be sorely disappointed in this one--it is far from being a high-end dupe.

If you don't own any of these palettes and/or are looking for a cheap way to augment your neutral eyeshadow collection, this palette is OK. There's a range of nude shades in there, though there are too many shimmers and golds for my taste. The shadow quality is inconsistent: the matte shades are chalky and need work to be built up, while the frosted shades apply with UD-level fallout. Wear time is OK--some primer will go a long way in improving it. The shadows are supposedly arranged so you can select a section of 2, 3 or 4 shades and make an entire look, but I didn't find their groupings to be earth-shattering.

There's nothing really special about this palette. You may find that you're better off buying 2 seperate quads from Revlon, Rimmel and/or L'Oreal and building your own higher-quality nude collection for about the same price as this one. Or just save up and invest in the worth-every-penny LORAC Pro instead.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/17/2014 2:48:00 PM More reviews by hayleyelwick

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

Okay let's get this straight kids- if you own a lot of makeup, this is not necessary.
If you don't own a lot of makeup, there is definitely room in your life for this.

I've owned this for about a month and a half, and overall I'm still convinced this is pretty mediocre. Keep in mind, I own quite a bit of makeup, especially eyeshadow, and I have high expectations.

As far as packaging, a mirror would've been awesome. I'm just saying. I kind of expected one.

Price is on point in my opinion, $12 for 12 eyeshadows is really reasonable, considering with higher end palettes you're paying $50 for 12 eyeshadows. HOWEVER you get what you pay for in higher end palettes. Yes, I said it.

The quality of these is hit and miss. I've heard some say that it's a "good thing" that some of these are sheer, because they are highlight colors. I do not agree. In my opinion, it's always better to have higher pigmentation shadows, fuller coverage foundation, and more opaque everything, because it can always be sheered out, and you in turn use less product.

For example, if you wanted to use UD's "sin" as an inner corner highlight, you simply dip your brush into it, tap off the excess, and place it where it needs to go, and you have a beautiful, easy highlight. However, with this, you place your brush into it, DON'T tap off the excess, place it on the inner corner, and keep going back into the pan for more to intensify it until it's to your liking. You use way more product than you need to, and it takes way more time.

As far as the functionality of this, it's really great. They tell you 3 different ways to put the shadows together (quads, trios, and duos). Of course you can be a rebel like me, and just do whatever your heart desires instead of following directions. The quads and duos method works out great, but the trios doesn't really. The way they go together just doesn't work out in the end, and the look is not the best. Quads is the way to go in my opinion. (My personal favorite is the 2nd quad)

When I picked this up, I used it for about 3 weeks, and I intentionally used it everyday, so I could review it. Now that I've gotten my review material, I hardly ever grab it any more. There's just nothing special about it to me, and I love a lot of other things more.

This is why I have come to the conclusion that if you already own a lot of makeup, you probably won't find yourself gravitating to this. If you don't own a ton of makeup, and you need to get out of a makeup rut, this might be just the thing you're after.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 10/17/2014 1:44:00 PM More reviews by Angieskullsaw

For a person who doesn't wear a lot of makeup, I was ecstatic to find this pallet and it didn't disappoint. I have very dark features and feel like a drag queen if my makeup is too dark. This pallet is called nude for a reason! The pigments on the lighter colours are just enough to add a touch of colour to your eyes, the darker colours are very pigmented. Perfect for making any look pop. The one thing I wish I could change is maybe adding a richer brown shade. Other then that, I'm absolutely in love. Will definitely buy again!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/12/2014 3:36:00 PM More reviews by tango2470

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I have over a dozen eyeshadow palettes, high and low end, and over the last two months (since I bought this) this has been my HG eyeshadow palette for everyday, neutral looks, as well as less intense neutral smokey eyes. Some of the shadows are nicely pigmented and easy to apply and others are sheer, which I actually think of as a bonus because the sheer shadows help me blend out my different eyeshadow looks, versus using a very pigmented palette, such as urban decay naked, which requires a little more precision in application, as well as blending. There is only ONE eye shadow that I would consider almost completely useless, although I have worked with it over top of a matching cream. As a whole, I highly recommend this palette for beginners, people with fair skin tone, and people who like natural or neutral makeup looks. that being said, you CAN achieve a dramatic look with this palette, it just takes a little more effort. I am going to list the pros and cons and then review this palette individually

Pros:
affordable
handy fro travel
sheer shades included for blendability or natural daytime looks! as well as more pigmented ones
matte and modestly shimmery shadows
easy for neutral looks
great for neutral smokey eyes that are kind of in between dramatic and natural
includes some unique pretty colors
original (I can't think of other palettes to compare this to)

Cons:
you must wear a primer for long wear of shadows, and possibly a cream shadow underneath for even longer wear
One shadow, in the top left hand corner is pretty much useless
It may require more effort to get a super smokey dramatic eye
two of the shadows have fallout

Undecided:
packaging wise, I am undecided, its definitely classier than wet n wild or covergirl eye shadow packaging, but not as sturdy as NYX.

Now for each individual shade: Left hand row 1: Useless, chalky, a very pretty iridescent pearl color with multi dimensional shimmer, thats pretty much useless, it requires a lot of packing on with a sponged tip applicator to avoid fallout. 2. A soft taupe with a slight mauve tinge, and a very subtle hint of glitter, it is not very pigmented but OK for blending other shadows, it has a nice silky texture, 3. A medium pigment, silky beige color, great for a transition shade or a lid shade, or highlight for darker skin, matte. 4. A stunning bronze brown shadow with a hint of a metallic sheen, it is very pigmented, and very unique, I love that it doesn't have the orange undertone to it that many bronze eyeshadows do, it is very wearable! 5. A matte taupe, very pigmented, excellent for a crease color 6. A nicely pigmented ashy brown matte eyeshadow, works well as a liner or in the outer V for a smokey look

Right row 1: a gorgeous hard to describe shade with pretty multi dimentional shimmer, kind of a soft neutral somewhere inbetween a rose and a taupe, nicely pigmented 2: a sheer chocolate or bark brown, great for blending out shadows, 3. This pretty shimmery soft gold is chalky, and not very pigmented, but I have used a wash of it to bring a warm shimmer to the highlight colors, or in the inner corner using the sponge tipped applicator 4. This is a nicely pigmented, rich cocoa shimmery brown shade with a hint of bronze, It is gorgeous for a smokey neutral eye! 5. this is a medium pigmented highlight off white shade with a hint of silver shimmer, I use this instead of the first shadow mentioned for the highlight, it works well. 6. This matte black, (which I had little hope for) is incredible! It is so pigmented, can be used as liner, or sheered out in the outer V for a smokey look, Absolutely amazing!

rated 4 of 5 on 9/26/2014 5:18:00 AM More reviews by Cortneywpatterson

Love this pallet for the price. Pretty sure it's a UD naked knock off pallet. So worth the money. Pigmentation isn't amazing but it gets the job done beautifully.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/25/2014 3:47:00 PM More reviews by sarapeno

This is great for the money. Sure, some of the colours don't have great pigmentation, but probably 2/3 of them are totally fine and comparable to more expensive brands. The layout is great (set up as quads, trios, or pairs for easy looks), and the colour variety is solid.

The pale highlight colour in the first quad looks like it would be an ultra pale glitterpalooza in the palette, but looks beautifully shimmery and subtle on the skin. The metallic-y darker brown shade is probably my favourite in this palette for blendability and colour payoff.

If you already have neutral palettes from mid to high end companies, I wouldn't bother with this, but if you're just starting out, or are reluctant to pull the trigger on a more expensive neutral palette, or just don't have access to anything but a drug store in your area, I would suggest picking this up. Using it for a few months helped me realise that if I invested in a Lorac or UD neutral palette, I would definitely use it all the time.... and even now that I have a couple Lorac pieces, I still use this a little.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 9/22/2014 8:04:00 PM More reviews by nathaliez

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I was expecting better quality, this is ok, but not great, the pigmentation is poor overall, but I would think it is ok for the price..still hard to recommend, next to urban decay and too faced this is pretty mediocre!!

rated 2 of 5 on 9/22/2014 7:53:00 PM More reviews by dinosaurseatghosts

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Really poor quality eyeshadow, very hard and chalky and not very blendable. :/ the gold color is pretty but I wouldn't recommend this. I love a lot of drugstore products but this palette isn't good.

rated 2 of 5 on 9/16/2014 8:14:00 PM More reviews by ZG

Age: 44-55 Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Brown

MAYBELLINE, YOU'RE BREAKING MY HEART WITH THE NUDES EYE SHADOW PALETTE.

I purchased this palette during the wee hours of Tuesday morning- 1am. because its all over You Tube and I wanted to see what all of the fuss was over this nude palette. As soon as I got home I washed my hands and busted open this palette and began swatching. I nearly let out a primal scream but quickly decided I better not awaken my neighbors lol. Swatch after swatch was dissapointing, none of the colors showed up on my NC 45-50 skin. Naturally I thought to myself, well I can use a e/s base to lift the color but you know what I said to myself " no I am not". I have a Elf neutral palette that have more neutral colors that show up on my skin. The 1 good thing I like about this paletter is the layout; its set up as duos, trios, and quads so yes its great for beginner makeup gurus in training. Other than that, it's just terrible. I returned it before I got into the office. Ladies if you are around my color, save your money and purchase something else.

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No