January 30, 2015 | 1492 users online

Palettes - Maybelline - The Nudes

rated 5 of 5 on 1/17/2015 12:21:00 PM More reviews by redlipsdiva

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

When I saw the new Maybelline New York The Nudes, I was immediately ecstatic and put it in my shopping cart as a "for sure" purchase. The packaging is a sleek, black rectangular shape that fits nicely in with the rest of my beauty products and would be easy to slip into a beach bag for a long weekend at the beach. The palette includes 12 colors that pretty much cover the majority of nude colors, some semi-matte and some slightly shimmery. Nothing is overly pigmented, and there is little fall-out, which can be cured by using Shadow Shields or layering loose powder under the eyes. There are no intense primary colors; however, I had very good luck building the colors with a flat brush using short, patting motions. Prior to applying the eye shadows, I used RoC Smooth Perfexion Instant Line Corrector over my face, eyelids, and neck as a primer. NOTE: I always apply my foundation first and build from there.

I went to lunch with a coworker, who loved the smokey eye effect. My hubby also loved the smokey eye and is encouraging me to keep trying different looks with this palette, which is versatile enough to go from a basic nude/lazy weekend look, to corporate office professional look, to a sultry, cat-eye look. I highly recommend this palette, which is a steal compared to Urban Decay, Stila, and other high-end palettes.

Jouir-Enjoy!
redlipsdiva

rated 3 of 5 on 1/12/2015 4:41:00 PM More reviews by nlutes

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

This review will be short and sweet as many reviewers below have better articulated my views.
Pros: some great colours; lots of variety of colours and finishes; nothing too glittery; and, most importantly, all are usable, wearable colours

Cons: some colours are very hard to pick up with a brush. I found this to be particularly true for the mid and dark hued tones. The light (base) shades were creamier and easier to apply, as were the shimmer/ metallic shades.

Would I buy again? No. But it's nice to have some of the colours for when I want options and/or more variety.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/2/2015 4:27:00 PM More reviews by SHeust

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I have Naked 1, but had this come out at the same time, I probably would have gotten by just fine (and $40 richer) only using The Nudes palette.

It had been awhile since I'd bought a Maybelline eyeshadow because my previous experience with them, years back, had been one of chalkiness and a lack of pigmentation. Thankfully, it seems they've changed the formula for the better.

This lovely palette boasting 12 small squares of shades for a reasonable $10 is fairly fabulous. All and I mean all of the shades are wearable. None are a true matte, which to me is a good thing, and none are a glitter bomb either. The shades range from light and warm golds to golden bronzes, to a silvery taupe and champagne, a pearlescent pearl, slightly purple grays and cocoas, to a subtle black. Many boast some shimmer but no chunky glitters. Again, all lovely, all useful. No fillers here.

The pigmentation is quite good. Not quite urban decay level but doesn't start to fade for about 5-6 hours and that's with no primer. Goes on richly with minimal to no fallout. I use my fingers to apply these. The formula is smooth and almost buttery, blending fairly easily.

I was happily surprised by the quality and versatility of this palette and would definitely recommend it. Not only is it packed full of beautiful, well-made shades but the palette isn't so big and cumbersome as the Nakeds and others are. I find myself reaching for it more often than Naked 1 now.

The only caveat is the packaging is a little chintzy. Drop it and the shadows may break and/or the pans may pop out. I also wish they had included a better application tool with this, and more than one considering there is room for it, but that's a small quibble.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/12/2014 12:11:00 AM More reviews by PeggyA

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

I use this lovely and inexpensive palette to fill in my eye brows, which it does brilliantly. Occasionally I use the eye shadow colors on my eyes but only rarely. I mix mostly the medium-light matte shadows and they end up perfect for filling in my sparse eye brows. I love it and seeing as how little I use daily, I won't have to buy brow filler powder for a really long time.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 12/3/2014 5:42:00 PM More reviews by mellowkat55

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I was fortunate to receive this palette from a gift giveaway. I was excited to use the palette because of the many colours in it (12) and the number of combinations you can make with it. There aren't really any true mattes in this palette, but the ones that appear to be matte have the slightest hint of shimmer in them, which doesn't show up that much.

The ones that appear to be matte with a tiny bit of shimmer:
- peach
- light taupe
- chocolate brown
- a darker brown
- soft black

Shimmer:
- frosty white
- light taupe (which is pretty much similar to the one more matte)
- a slightly darker taupe
- gold
- light pink/peach

Metallic:
- copper
- chocolate brown

Most of the colours are hard to pick up with a brush, like with the other Maybelline eyeshadows. The easiest are the copper and gold colour, and those are definitely the winning colours in this palette. The hardest colours to pick up are the light shimmers, like the frosty white, and light pink/peach. The black is not a true black, it's more soft, which is good because it's not so harsh on the lids. It could be built up. The eyeshadows can become a bit patchy and hard to blend though, so try and use a primer underneath and try to blend well. The pigmentation is okay, and really good with the copper. One thing I like is that there isn't that much fallout, and that's probably due to the fact that they are harder in formula.

I like using the more matte light taupe for filling in my brows. I think this is a decent palette to bring with you if you want touchups, as the case is slim. It includes a dual ended sponge applicator as well.

Overall, it's an okay palette. I had fun experimenting with different looks with it. You don't have to run out and get it right away, and better to wait for a sale on it. I would recommend this palette for a beginner, or if you need some kind of neutral palette right away and don't have a lot to spend on. Alternatively, you can check out bh cosmetics palettes for less expensive neutral eyeshadow palettes.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 12/3/2014 3:40:00 PM More reviews by Ruby2003

I have been searching for a Nude Quad/Duo, SOMETHING. So when RiteAid had this 40% I Snoopy danced out the door thinking, "Jackpot" all these great colors for $6...my happiness was short lived when I started using the pallette and realized that although there are some really great options, there is NO STAYING POWER. Even using a Primer (UD Primer Potion or Monitstat) these colors really had to be worked up to even look like I had any on. When they said "The Nudes" they meant it. I am not overly critical and can usually look past flaws if there is a redeeming quality but there isn't anything here. I was hoping to find suitable replacements for some WNW Trios that are now DCD ( Belgian Chocolates for example) but not finding it here...

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 11/29/2014 12:51:00 PM More reviews by scrapstitcher

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I finally got one of these about a month ago from Walgreens. I love how you get a nice variety of neutral eyeshadows all in one palette. I've been using it quite a bit and I really like the colors that I've been using so far. I don't use the sponge applicator that it came with, but rather a couple eye shadow brushes instead.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/19/2014 3:59:00 PM More reviews by linsm618

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

In this Nudes' Palette, there are 3 metallic, 5 mattes, and 4 slimmers eye shadows. As you can tell, there are a lot of neutral colors here. The amount of looks you can create are endless (although on the maybelline's site, claims that this palette can create 13 looks in palette). I didn't get the chance to buy this palette until there was 40% off sale for all Maybelline products at Rite Aid a few weeks ago. The eye shadows do not have a name. However, they are all numbered.

First off, I believe this is a great palette for those who are starting out with makeup. However, if you are going to compare the quality and pigmentation to Urban Decay's Naked Palettes, your hopes will not be so satisfied
The eye shadows are definitely easy to use. Some of them are smoother than others. And some of them aren't opaque enough.

As for the packaging, the 12 eye shadows are in a small plastic case and it has one cheap plastic applicator. It makes senses why drug store brands use plastic cases because of the price they are selling it at. One thing I really like is that it is travel friendly because it doesn't take up much space.

For pictures: check out my blog @ shesayswhoosh.blogspot.com

rated 4 of 5 on 11/13/2014 1:57:00 AM More reviews by Chanel1993

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I really love this palette it's a reasonable price the only thing is you have to use a eye primer to get really pigmented and to last all day but other then that love the color combos I can go day to night and it's so easy to throw In my makeup bag def recommend this product

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/11/2014 9:33:00 PM More reviews by beautyjunkie2012

I've had this palette for awhile so its given me a few months to truly see if its a worthy buy or a dud. For the amount of shades you get and the price-point...its a worthy buy. Especially if you're just starting out with makeup and not quite ready to jump on the UD Naked palette. There are some shades that are a challenge but if you have decent brushes then they are very workable. Applied over my NARS lid primer the shades do not translate well on my lids but if using a Maybelline or MAC paint pot then the shadows adhere better and much more vibrant. Overall I'm satisfied with the palette.