Coty L'Aimant

Price: $

Price: $

on 7/20/2014 10:36:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

This review is for a vintage, 1940's - 50's, and it is one gorgeous fragrance. Sweet, powdery, but with a great musk and slightly honeyed note to it. Definitely one to purchase if it can be found.

on 1/9/2013 3:44:00 PM

I have this in the creamy skin range.
The smell is divine - like a more expensive brand (no.5) :)
plus the cream scent lasts a long time.
It comes in a black glass bottle so the light doesn't taint it.
My only gripe is - I just wish this came in a bigger size ha.

Well-made floral w depth. It didn't seem that musky or dirty to me, more for a fancy garden party. The aldehydic feel is nice but the floral/fruit mix in this one is too sweet soprano for me. Instead of "old lady" I get overly comforting, like too many pillows, lol ..or having to dress in dress & white gloves sometimes as a kid, too stuffy for me. Also, it does seem pretty close to Chanel No5 in flavor, & would be hard for me to wear for that reason.

on 6/1/2010 6:43:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I agree with the reviewers who liken L'Aimant, at least in vintage version, to L'Heure Bleue. It definitely is more a powdery floral and very much in that genre. I haven't seen or tried L'Aimant recently (since the 70's). After smelling Emeraude recently, I'm afraid I'd only be disappointed to find a cheap reformulation.

on 7/6/2009 8:35:00 PM

If I hate one fragrance, it is Chanel No 5. In my opinion it is pukeworthy and I instantly want to run from anyone else who is wearing it also. L'aimant DOES remind me of No.5 but it's like the sweeter younger sister of No.5. I am not a fan of aldehydes in the least but this is gently caressed with soft powder and very subtle fruit/floral notes that it remains wearable. That said, I only bought this cos it was cheap and because I'm so curious, I really don't think it's 'me' and no matter how nice it is, I never do powdery florals well, there is always an 'old lady' connotation for me and if I can sense it Im guessing others will too and I don't want to give off that impression. I also doubt that many guys would find this sexy, I think they would also associate this with an old lady smell.

on 6/30/2008 6:23:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

Being that I'm not a fan of no.5 I'm surprised that I like L'Aimant. What smells like sandalwood and maybe peach really pops out and it's nice. This is not something though that I'd wear on a regular basis cause it smells rather dated. The bottle I have looks like it's from the 70's and so I'm not sure if it's mutated from lack of care. Maybe I'm not getting the best representation of this but what I have is nice.

on 3/14/2008 8:48:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

Maybe I tried this at the wrong time of year when I wore it last summer. I didn't get any floral or powder notes- it ended up smelling very animalic and musky on me. I don't mean sexy, either, more like unclean musk. Even my sister noticed it- I could tell by the look on her face. I happily gave my bottle to Salvation Army!

Ahhhh L'Aimant. How late I learned to love thee!!!!!!! Warm floral and soft power, it is my ultimate comfort scent. I have the skin cream perfume and the parfum de toilette. While I prefer the former the latter is still a knockout. Unfortunately it is getting harder to find as all that sugary confectionary dross fills the shelves.

on 9/27/2007 6:26:00 AM

Ahh the sweet smell of cheap soap mixed with insect repellant. Unfortunately that is what L'aimant smells like on me. It's a shame, because on paper the notes should suit me and it smells good on other people, but I've been testing it once a year for over 20 years and the result is always the same - bug spray and cheap soap.

on 9/8/2007 7:23:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

This will not work on everyone. I love L'Heure Bleue, but the powdery notes sometimes overwhelm and if you don't like powder, then don't try L'Aimant, because it has L'Heure Bleue's tenancies towards little old lady/little girl powdery dry down and then some. I used to wear this as a child and loved it, but now the lemony notes don't work on me. It wears it's age with quite distinction, but I suspect there's a crocheted collar on this dress. Try it: You can't lose for the price.

Notes gleaned off the internet: Floral aldehyde with peach, bergamot, and strawberry. Mid: rose, jasmine, and ylang-ylang Base: vanilla, sandalwood, and vetiver (Not sure if this is gospel, but I can smell alot of these notes in the brew.)

Popular Fragrances