July 26, 2014 | 967 users online

Styling Products - Aveda - Smooth Infusion Naturally Straight

rated 3 of 5 on 7/24/2014 1:17:00 AM More reviews by carcas

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I had previously written a pretty scathing review of this product in a hurry, and I think it deserves a better, more detailed treatment. Here goes!

My hair is long, thick, and curly (2c on top, 3a mid, and 3b underneath), and it frizzes easily. I can get a silky blow dry with just a round brush and some elbow grease, no product. I've had keratin treatments done, and really loved them. But I've been lazy about them for the past couple of years, so this product seemed like it could be a nice (and cheaper!) alternative.

My review is based on three uses over the course of two weeks. The first thing I noticed was that the texture was a bit gummy. Next, I found that it did indeed make it easier to straighten (and seemed to dry a bit faster in general). However, it left me with a texture that I wasn't happy with. The ends felt coarse and sort of puffy (which was never a problem for me before). There wasn't the same level of sleek silkiness. It did have fine shine and volume, but there was no movement. From my ears down my hair felt like a mass.

Frizz-wise, the shape held up, without any crazy expansion (I'm in the south, and it's definitely a good place to judge this), but I have gotten some overnight wavies close to the nape on the under layer.

Overall, I'm not crazy about this because it just gave my hair a very unappealing texture- sort of like what you would get with an amateur blowout. And while it did hold off frizz, I felt the trade-off wasn't worth it. Just didnt feel like my best hair. I can only imagine that over time this would get worse for me with the cumulative effect.

I might keep this in mind for a special event if I knew I'd be facing hair-wrecking humidity, but otherwise I think keratin is still the best overall remedy for the issues this product is targeting.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/16/2014 3:04:00 PM More reviews by BrandieJeanette

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I love this product! It really worked for me :)

rated 5 of 5 on 7/10/2014 3:27:00 AM More reviews by Swine

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I've NEVER used a straightening styling product that has been this effective -- or effective at all. None of Frizz Ease products ever did anything for me. And Aveda Hang Straight did absolutely nothing for my hair. But this is way different. In the vile NYC humidity my hair is straight, with no frizz & poof. I have THE best summer hair of my life. I've never been able to maintain straight hair in the summer humidity here in NYC. But this stuff really worked for me (to my huge shock & surprise) & I have thick, coarse, wavy, curly, frizzy, poofy hair that's very difficult to get straight & stay straight. I still need to use GHD to flat iron, but it takes me about 2 minutes now & only when I get my hair wet or shampoo. So far, I'm extremely impressed with results. I really need no other product to take care of frizz or poof. Just this. I know -- I'm completely baffled by how great this worked for me. If I had this stuff when I was in high school and college, there are about 10 guys I'd have been married to & divorced from by now. Er, maybe it's just as well for me Aveda took so long to come out with this. Better late than never, right? Miracle product for those with difficult hair -- like me.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/6/2014 9:31:00 AM More reviews by mariella99

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Truly MAGICAL product for hair like mine! I've been a fan of Aveda's Smooth Infusion line for quite some time. I have thick, coarse hair that has a stubborn and unattractive wave and is prone to frizz. I am able to control these issues most of the time with good products and my CHI straightener. My big issue now is controlling how insane my hair goes during hot yoga sessions (2 to 4 times a week, and sometimes more). I'm reluctant to flat iron my hair more than twice or 3 times a week but really had little option after yoga. I've tried a lot of products and many of them are really good but Naturally Straight is totally different and even though I've only used it one time, it really lives up to its claims. Apparently after 5 uses, it delivers its full results but after only ONE application, I was amazed to see that my hair (after 2 hot classes in 2 days) remained smooth and almost perfect and didn't even have creases or marks from the clips I use to hold my hair back. I can't imagine what a difference this will make after 5 applications! I will ALWAYS use this product because it really is unlike anything I've used before!
UPDATE (July 10/14): I continue to be amazed by this product. I've used it for a 3rd time and continue to be so pleased by the ongoing improvement. I did make a point of conditioning my hair this time after shampooing (hadn't done this the first 2 times as I wasn't sure what this would do to the product's effectiveness) and I also applied Moroccan Oil before applying Naturally Straight (my hair was feeling quite dry). Neither the conditioner nor the Moroccan Oil negatively affected anything (my hair is just softer and silkier) and the "straightening" effect continues to develop. I'll be interested to see what things are like if I don't blow dry my hair (the instructions seem to indicate vaguely that blow drying is important but the mention of it is vague enough that I'm not sure and I'd like to let my hair dry naturally before flat-ironing it). So, next time, it's going to be air drying to see the results and I'll update again....