July 26, 2014 | 1571 users online

Fragrances - L'Artisan Fragrances - Mure et Musc

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 3/9/2013 9:55:00 PM More reviews by alba75

I found Mure et Musc harsh. Musc is very pronounced, whereas blackberry note is pungent and earthy. It smells more like expensive soap.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/28/2013 1:56:00 AM More reviews by MaryEllen

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Medium Eyes: Blue

I adore this scent (the EDT). On me, it's berries (blackberries, to be exact) and musk--I get none of the citrus, oakmoss, or basil notes. The berry scent is dry--less juicy than, say, Trish #9--and the musk is a wonderful complement. It's very elegant, wears close to the skin (which I prefer), and isn't too light for winter or heavy for summer. If you hate florals and are looking for a subdued, unique scent, give this a try. It's well worth the (high) price.

rated 1 of 5 on 10/17/2012 11:17:00 AM More reviews by mbennett2

I read the reviews and was looking for a berry fragrance but this is not good. I don't get any berry from this it is some kind of soapy musky smell that really lasts. Why do the ones I don't like seem to last and last? It is really making me ill while I write this review. It is very expensive, but not worth it. I'd rather go to B&BW and get the Black Raspberry Vanilla.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/29/2012 10:01:00 AM More reviews by darkharbour

I have to confess from the start that I adore L'Artisan. Just adore this line. And a bit of history is warranted. Back in "the day" when gourmand fragrances were few and far between, L'Artisan came out with this one, and with Vanilia-- the latter giving birth to the vanilla craze. And Mure et Musc does smell fruity. Not fruity like some modern gourmands or fruity florals. There are no mystery fruits in here, no red licorice smelling notes, no cloying guava or passion fruit notes. I have picked many a blackberry in my life, and they have really little scent to them, unlike some other fruits. But the blackberry note in this fragrance evokes fresh blackberries. It just does. The musk is not animalic or raunchy, and really just grounds this in a soft shawl sense, and makes it smell alive. This is the scent of Michaelmas, when wild berries are very ripe, the leaves are thinking about starting to change color, and the mornings are crisp and softly golden. This is soft. It will not walk in the room ahead of you. It will not leave a cloud in the elevator once you exit. It smells organic and melds easily with skin.

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/28/2012 12:24:00 AM More reviews by Carito

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I met the acquaintance of Mure et Musc tonight after a lackadaisical stroll into a fragrance shop. [Imagine how wide my eyes grew when I saw rows of niche perfumes! And to think, I had walked by this store countless times on my way to work with nary a gaze askance!] I didn't have high hopes for this one, as I have been generally unimpressed by the predictably saccharine, flat quality common to Falling In Love, Trish McEvoy, Blackberry Musk (by various etailers), and etc.

Mure et Musc is in a league all of its own, however. I am downright incredulous how the notion of a blackberry can be distilled, captured, and crystallized with such clarity and candour. There is nothing cloying in countenance nor wake, this is something I can imagine trailing behind an elegant black dress.

I am a full-blown gourmand scentlover, but Mure et Musc is a far cry from anything I would eat or drink, and it won me over.

Most enigmatic of all however, is the manner in which the Mure and the Musc fold into one another to become one single, unified note. Hours later, as I raise my left forearm to my nose to assess which would be the victor, I observe the two do not seem to take turns somersaulting upon one another as much as they rear heads in unison. In fact, through this interpretation, one is pressed to believe the two were meant to be.

continued >>

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/3/2011 11:33:00 PM More reviews by girlndocs

Now it usually comes as no surprise to me that people will have a wide range of opinions about a given scent, but I fell so hard, so dizzyingly, so instantly in love with Mure et Musc that I was honestly shocked to see how mixed and mediocre the reviews were.

On me, Mure et Musc opens with a blast of true blackberry. Growing up in the PNW, blackberries mean late summer, and this is the scent of actual blackberries on the vine -- not as sweet smelling as they taste, a bit tart, the olfactory equivalent of the odd berry in your handful that wasn't completely ripe (which you only found out after you popped it in your mouth). It's not jam or crushed blackberries or a blackberry dessert, just the odor of blackberries on a warm afternoon.

The musk comes in after that and it's anything but soapy on my skin. It's closer to the clean end of the spectrum than the skanky end, to be sure, but it's warm and slightly golden. It grows from a subtle presence like an invisible friend tapping on my shoulder into a delicate but prominent blend of musk and berry that's more than the sum of it's parts; not "blackberries and musk" but simply a musky berry, a fantastic olfactory illusion that's a delight to be tricked into.

This is just beautiful. Right now I feel like I want to smell like it for the rest of my life.

I find it light, not shortlived mind you but so light that the subtler the musk gets the harder it is to pick up, which is the only reason I gave it a 4 instead of a 5.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 2/19/2011 4:43:00 PM More reviews by kngfrank

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I'm wearing this right now and it blends so well with my chemistry that I smell like me, only cleaner and sweeter. I can't say if I would buy a full bottle but I may purchase a decant.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/15/2011 10:45:00 AM More reviews by Orientexpress

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Curly, Other Eyes: Green

When I first considered trying this scent, I was put off by the increasing number of lukewarm to just plain bad reviews. I thought that maybe the rumored reformulation was to blame. I now think that the subjective experience of the wearer is the reason for MetMs recent lukewarm reception. I'm glad I didn't heed the naysayers because Ihave entered into a long term relationship with this scent. It is fantastic. Bear in mind, my other l'artisan favorite and first perfume love is Dzing, so I enjoy the interplay between softly sweet and slightly funky. MetM is sweet and funky for sure. At first spray, I get a whiff of something sharp and resinous like pine almost. I can definitley understand the aftershave comparison at this point. Within five minutes however, the heart notes start to emerge and it's dark, purple berries balanced by soft, funky musk. The musk in MetM is certainly on the lightest end of the musk spectrum, and the berries are not at all fruity to my nose. The overall composition is so well balanced that it smells like sweet, warm skin. I imagine summer sunsets, cassis, woods, and sex, but not the kinky kind. Innocent and dark at the same time. This is first
summer love in a bottle. The perfect scent to try in this bleak winter weather. I wish I could give it 4.5 stars. I'm only taking a little off because I have to reapply at least once. I don't mind because this scent is an attitude adjustment in a bottle for me. Cheaper than therapy.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 11/27/2010 7:01:00 PM More reviews by RunningWithThePugs

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Love this one! A very clean musk, very wearable for daytime. I find lasting power is average on this, but it does change slightly and doesn't have much silage, so that may be why people can't smell it after a couple of hours. I like that it's not too sweet.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 3/14/2010 5:44:00 AM More reviews by fpih

Nice clean, soapy smell. Perfect for a shower gel but not for a fragrance. It disappears within 2 hours from my skin. Perhaps if it were stronger it would be more interesting.