October 24, 2014 | 1030 users online

Moisturizers - Simple - Ultra-Light Gel Moisturizer

rated 5 of 5 on 9/8/2014 2:18:00 AM More reviews by Aprilsfool413

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Grey

I love this moisturizer. When I was younger and struggling with oily broken out skin I wasn't using a moisturizer at all because every moisturizer I tried was either irritating or wouldn't absorb into my skin. So I didn't bother using it. But then I read somewhere that if you have oily skin you should use a gel moisturizer so one day I spotted this moisturizer in Walmart and decided to give it a try. I was beyond happy to see that My skin actually absorbed this moisturizer! It didn't have any kind of bad smell. It was perfect. Still using it to this day, it is my HG moisturizer.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/1/2014 12:58:00 PM More reviews by MsVengeance

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I've been using this gel moisturizer for about a month. It's great if you've got oily acne-prone skin but even if you've got combo skin this might not be enough moisture (not a problem if you layer it with other stuff or use moisturizing toners).

It's really light weight and absorbs quickly. It does not dry out or mattify skin in any way but neither does it make it slippery, shiny, or oily looking either.

I was really worried that the asorbic acid in this stuff would irritate my skin (for some reason vitamin c makes me all red and broken out) but after looking it up online I read somewhere that the PH is too high for the asorbic acid to do anything and because this stuff doesnt seem to bother my skin I can only assume that's true. If I put my spf on before it's dried it does sting a little but I suspect that's just the spf.

My only complaint is that it seems ridiculously overpriced at $15 for a very basic no-frills moisturizer with no antioxidants or benefits other than moisture (and some may find even that debateable) whatsoever. Also FYI i recently spied it about $5 cheaper at a walmart.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/17/2014 1:02:00 AM More reviews by paramisalud

This is the only! and I repeat ONLY moisturizer that has not caused me to break out. I found a really cool website called Acnemantra that has a online tool that lets you feed in ingredients to see if the product you are using has any pore-clogging/acne causing ingredients. This had none!! I repeat none, every single moisturizer I entered in there had at least two so I went to buy this that very day!! I have been mixing it with benzoyl peroxide and it has helped work wonders!!! I use this with a apple cider vinegar face wash and voila no more acne!!! I am so happy.I was litterally covered in cystic acne before this...I could attribute the clear skin to the new Jarros probiotic I purchased and my vegan diet but this has helped clear it up quick. Overall super satisfied

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 8/12/2014 11:40:00 PM More reviews by Taylorbrooke12464

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I truly LOVE this product. I have sensitive skin, which doesn't take to many things at all. The only face wash I've ever been able to use on a regular basis is Cetaphil. I've been in need of a moisturizer that was light enough for my skin to handle, and gentle enough. This product has an amazing feeling, that will sink into your skin in just a minute or two and feel very nice. There isn't a scent to the product. The product has a nice pump and cap, so it's very easy to use. I would say that you don't quite need one full pump to cover your face and neck. A full pump feels like I'm rubbing this in for a long time. The gel formula feels very nice. It was only $9 at Walmart.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/8/2014 8:19:00 AM More reviews by MisstinaaR

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I won't give this 5 stars because I wouldn't say it's my HG moisturizer, although it's a pretty good one. I put this on whatever spots look and feel dry after I shower. I have combination skin and this works just fine in giving moisture. If I put it on before applying makeup, it keeps my face from becoming too oily during the day, but it doesn't keep my face feeling as moist as I would like. It doesn't help with any flakiness around my nose though. It has never broken me out. The simple skin care line is good for sensitive skin, which is what I have

UPDATE:
I think this is actually drying out my skin!! It's actually making it dry. Not good... And my skin seems irritated lately

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 7/29/2014 8:12:00 PM More reviews by jenglund

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I just bought this today and have only tried it once (in the store...I know, I know, but I bet everyone does this at least once).

I have been trying to pare down my skincare routine because I'm at the point where I've tried so many products in quick succession that I have no idea what's causing me to get clogged pores, blackheads, inflamed zits, cysts, varying degrees of super-oily and super-dehydrated skin, etc. So I've started just cleansing with Cetaphil (for Normal to Oily Skin...no Clarisonic, no washcloth, no buff or sponge, just my fingers and water), and applying a bare bones SPF moisturizer during the day (currently Cetaphil Dermacontrol SPF 30--which, by the way, is not bad for my oily/combo, acne-prone skin type).

Unfortunately, even though my mom swears by it and a lot of ACTUAL dermatologists (read: not the ones who are pushing product) say oily-skinned girls don't necessarily need a nighttime moisturizer, I was getting a little skeezed out just putting my SPF daytime one on dry patches at night (which are probably only there from cleansing, which I have to do because I wear a little makeup). I'm also waiting to re-start my PC 2% BHA to get rid of all my clogged pores and blackheads, and I know it feels a little oily but can be dehydrating in the long run. So I need a nighttime moisturizer for those dry patches.

If you read reddit/skincareaddiction, you'll probably see that the fatty alcohols (cetyl, cetearyl, and stearyl alcohol), while not inherently bad for skin like ethanol, SD alcohol, etc., do appear to clog pores and exacerbate acne in some users. After getting clogged from CeraVe and Olay moisturizers, I'm cutting the fatty alcohols out for a while to see if the hypothesis is supported for my skin. This moisturizer is one of the ONLY drugstore products that does not contain these fatty alcohols (or other problematic oils, waxes, etc. found in highly recommended products that tend to clog me).

From my one in-store application thus far, I really like this, especially for spot-treating dry patches and especially for the summer. The ingredients list is great because it's so minimal (but do I see Vitamin C in there? why yes, indeed, it is there!). This definitely isn't for those with actual dry skin. But for oilier ladies like myself, I'm pretty excited about it.

The texture reminds me of PC Skin Balancing Invisible Finish Moisture Gel, but it's less sticky. I've been wearing the Simple for about 4-5 hours now, and I don't feel it sitting there like I did with PC's. I also don't feel any dryness coming back (or being induced), like I did with PC's. (By the way, all of the other PC moisturizers clog/break me out and Cetaphil and CeraVe are way too emollient. The PC gel also has some very questionable comedogenic ingredients like wheat germ oil, if I remember correctly) So for now, this looks very promising.

I'll update as I go, but for now this appears to be a perfect spot-treater for dry patches on otherwise oily-skinned people like me...who also have incredibly reactive skin.

EDIT...used this for only a couple days before I figured out it was quite drying, or possibly just not moisturizing enough. And this is in the heat of a Memphis summer. Not worth the $10 for such a small amount either.

5 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/16/2014 2:05:00 PM More reviews by twomintsinone

I've been looking for an inexpensive gel moisturizer for some time now. All the other drugstore gels are in jars and have drying ingredients like alcohol in them, and this doesn't and it has a great sanitary pump. I have combination, acne prone skin and I absolutely hate the feeling of moisturizer on my skin because I live in a hot and humid place and I prefer everything to be matte and to absorb quickly. This has a slight sticky feeling when you first apply it but then it absorbs pretty quickly. Smells simple, not pretty and fruity. Feels very slick and nice and gel-y. No greasy residue. It's very lightweight and it's a moisturizer that isn't seen or heard and that was all I was looking for. No breakouts because of it so far.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/19/2014 2:31:00 PM More reviews by Cat1104

Age: Unknown Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

My skin is very oily but dehydrated, extremely clog-prone, and sensitive/reactive. I quite like this hydrator. It's a gel, so it's not emollient or moisturizing at all. If you have normal/dry skin, this is not going to do anything for you. It reminds me of Fruit of the Earth's Aloe Vera Gel even though it doesn't contain aloe, but it's a bit more hydrating than FotE Aloe Vera Gel. It doesn't clog my pores or cause breakouts. The downside is that it can cause a slight burning sensation if I use it when my skin is irritated or stripped. I've had that experience with a lot of gel-type hydrators though. Highly recommend for oily skin and will definitely repurchase.
Ingredients: Water (Aqua), Pentylene Glycol, Isoceteth-20, Glycerin, Ascorbic Acid, Panthenol, PEG-33, PEG-8 Dimethicone, Phenoxyethanol, Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, PEG-14, Caprylyl Glycol, Disodium EDTA